Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

inFAMOUS (PS3) Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-09, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,178 Likes on 4,207 Posts
inFAMOUS (PS3) Thread

I did a search and there's no thread on this game, which at this point looks fairly awesome. It appears to be a bit of a hybrid of Crackdown and The Force Unleashed. It's made by Sucker Punch, who made the Sly Cooper series for the PS2 - one of the most criminally underappreciated series of the last gen.

The game has already gone Gold and the release date has been moved up to 5/26/09.

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FI8oYuHkjMU&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x2b405b&color2=0x6b8ab6"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FI8oYuHkjMU&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x2b405b&color2=0x6b8ab6" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xyHeV1k8GIs&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x2b405b&color2=0x6b8ab6"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xyHeV1k8GIs&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x2b405b&color2=0x6b8ab6" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

IGN Preview:
Spoiler:
inFamous Impressions
Getting to grips with the PS3's big summer blockbuster.
by Martin Robinson, IGN UK
UK, April 15, 2009 - Typical, isn't it. You wait years for a superhero-tinged open-world game and then two come swinging from the rafters in tandem. Sony and Sucker Punch are pitting the launch of inFamous precariously close to that of Activision's superficially similar Prototype, but from an extended hands-on with the game it seems that Sucker Punch's game has the brain and brawn to win out in this particular comic-book duel.

Cole's an intriguing lead, lizard-like in his movements.Greg has already voiced his excitement for the game on numerous occasions, and having now witnessed inFamous first hand it's an enthusiasm we whole-heartedly share – this is an action game with all the trappings of a top-tier first-party Sony title, and it's one of the finest propositions for the PlayStation 3 for the traditionally barren summer months. While Greg's previews have nailed the details of inFamous, being able to play it from the comfort of our own games room has allowed some of the finer points of Sucker Punch's PlayStation 3 debut to sink in.

While the comparisons to Prototype will continue long after both games are released this summer, the most pertinent reference points lie elsewhere. Crackdown's an obvious one – the Empire City of inFamous shares the verticality of Realtime Worlds' Pacific City, and again scaling the heights proves one of the game's most thrilling pleasures. Great sandbox games often deliver their best moments outside of the demands of the main quest and inFamous looks no different in this respect, with the pull of exploration strengthened by the possibilities of Cole's unique abilities.

Cole's electrical powers are never short of spectacular.Roof-top expeditions are well served by some robust mechanics – no surprise given Sucker Punch's heritage with the Sly Cooper games – with the main protagonist Cole proving suitably sticky when it comes to attaching himself to the sides of buildings and propelling himself from lampposts. While there's a certain amount of auto alignment aiding Cole's acrobatics, they do little to detract from the feeling of vertigo engendered by teetering atop some of the city's peaks.

And what a city it is; Empire City is a teeming urban sprawl that finds itself rapidly slipping towards dystopian chaos. Though the missions available to us in the early code are pulled from various parts of Cole's campaign, it's clear that his surroundings reflect the story they frame, with the bleached-out, sun-kissed city of the tutorial giving way to foreboding dark skies and swelling storms later in the game.

The draw distance seems generous throughout.Indeed, it seems that Empire City also acts as a barometer of the player's character, with an evil Cole met with a metropolis that noticeably cowers at his presence. A visualisation of the karma system that underlies Cole's actions, it's just one level of feedback on where our hero's heart lies: much like the anonymous hero of Fable, his morality is also played out on his skin, with the evil Cole we see at one point heavily scarred with rippling red veins.

Whether the morality system is delivered organically or through binary choices will be integral to the success of the game's story, but unfortunately that's not something we can ascertain from the scattershot selection of missions we've seen to date. It's certainly setting its sights high, with the action prefaced by weighty citations: 'The belief in a supernatural source of evil is not necessary' says one particular passage pulled from the works of Conrad, 'men are quite capable of every wickedness.' If Cole's player-determined voyage can live up to Sucker Punch's literary allusions, it could be quite some tale.

It wouldn't be a superhero game without a helping of bosses.Cole's story is impeccably presented, as stylised animated cut-scenes segue harmoniously with the action. Details are scant and our time with the code raised more questions than answers as we were rapidly transported between disparate parts of Cole's chronicle, but the few crumbs thrown our way suggest a game that's thick on intrigue and leans heavily upon its comic book inspirations. Thankfully, our look at the full picture is drawing ever closer – expect a full review in the not too distant future.

Old 04-27-09, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts
Re: inFAMOUS (PS3) Thread

This game looks better and better everytime I see it, hope it lives up to its potential.

Disagree about Sly Cooper though, that game had some amazing reviews when it came out and, imo, failed to live up to any of em. It was unquestionably a professionally made game with solid visuals, it just wasn't very much fun. Did play through the first two, though.

Last edited by RichC2; 04-27-09 at 10:09 AM.
Old 04-27-09, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this looks great, I loved the first sly cooper and the second one if great too, havent played the third one though
Old 04-27-09, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This and Prototype look kinda similar. Not that they are the same, but both of them could be seen as "influenced" by Crackdown. (Yeah, Prototype has been also reviewed as a Crackdown influenced game).

I've read a lot about both of them. And I'm really interested about both of them. I've watched more videos about Prototype and they look really good, like a lot of fun. I just saw a few pictures of inFamous and it looks great too.
Old 04-27-09, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Raul3
This and Prototype look kinda similar. Not that they are the same, but both of them could be seen as "influenced" by Crackdown. (Yeah, Prototype has been also reviewed as a Crackdown influenced game).
I actually keep confusing the two. They both look like solid games, I'm just not sure if it'll be worth it to pick both of them up.
Old 04-28-09, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, they look pretty similar. Some differences but basically an enhanced Crackdown, unless they introduce something else. inFamous doesn't have MP either, like Crackdown, I'm not sure about Prototype.
The "enhancements" I see is that you can make the crowd work for you or be against you, they have a kind of karma system.

Key Game Features:
* Be a Hero - Take on the role of Cole, an everyday guy and urban explorer, who develops a wide range of electricity-based powers. Learn how to adapt to Cole’s evolving powers in an attempt to save Empire City and its people.
* Super Powers - Feel what it is like to discover, grow and use a wide range of electricity-based super powers (good or bad); and grasp the responsibility that comes from being so powerful.
* Epic Battles - Experience what it is like to be a true hero, taking responsibility for every action, as players battle against powerful iconic villains.
* Open Dynamic World - Coupling rich powers with a reactive environment and population, experience complete freedom to explore a deep, open interactive city. Players will be challenged to decide if they choose to save or destroy Empire City.
* Urban Exploration - Scale the cityscape to discover new vantage points and employ a vertical combat system. Utilize Cole’s climbing skills to go where most people can not, opening up a variety of offensive and defensive combat options.
* Organic City Ecology - Watch the citizens and city react and evolve depending on players’ actions. Events will unfold based on the role players take in them, creating broader reactions in the city’s people and environment.
Old 04-28-09, 02:28 PM
Mok

<param name="movie" value="http://www.viddler.com/simple_on_site/5f1949a8" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><embed src="http://www.viddler.com/simple_on_site/5f1949a8" width="437" height="265" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowScriptAccess="always" allowFullScreen="true" name="viddler" ></embed></object>
This game looks so Kick Ass, I can't wait.
Old 04-29-09, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts

I loved the first Sly Cooper. I really need to track down the second and third game.

This looks like a whole lot of fun and it being from Sucker Punch makes me even more excited. So now I gotta get Arkham Asylum, inFAMOUS, and Among Thieves. My wallet's gonna be aching.
Old 04-29-09, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

It looks really good and interests me, but I don't have any time to play a new game right now

Hopefully I can finish some other games and pick this bad boy up.
Old 04-30-09, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This summer slate of games is becoming worrisome. I know some of them are bound to disappoint, but I'm still spending 80% of my gaming time on Rock Band 2 and Warhawk. I hate to say things like this, but I hope Arkham Asylum and inFamous start getting some mediocre reviews so I don't feel utterly compelled to add them to my unplayed pile which current sits at a robust 11 titles and still includes KZ2, PoP and Resistance 2. Especially after I just preordered Ghostbusters.... because that's the one game I foresee myself not giving a damn about the reviews. And then Uncharted 2. Ugh. PS3 owners really don't have any complaining left to do about their meager slate of quality games.

I've been slightly bummed that I was never able to fully play Crackdown. So this one looks like a winner.
Old 04-30-09, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

11 unplayed games and only PS3 titles? wow!
Old 04-30-09, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well... maybe that's a bit misleading. I was counting a few Wii games in those 11 (MadWorld, Pro Evo Soccer, Boom Blox).

I went on a PS3 bargain buying spree between Thanksgiving and Christmas last year and accumulated a few too may titles for my schedule to handle... I still buy games like I'm 13 but play them at a 30-year-old's pace.

Last edited by jdpatri; 04-30-09 at 12:37 PM.
Old 04-30-09, 12:50 PM

Wow, that's all of them!
Old 04-30-09, 01:28 PM

Any good Infamous pre-order deals? best I have seen is Newegg for $53.99.
Anything else worth looking at?
Old 04-30-09, 01:39 PM

Amazon has it at $53.99. Couple that with the 10% ECA discount got it to me for $48.59.
Old 04-30-09, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,178 Likes on 4,207 Posts

Originally Posted by TLwizard
Amazon has it at $53.99. Couple that with the 10% ECA discount got it to me for $48.59.
That's what I just did.
I'm loving that ECA discount program. Everyone who buys games should probably do it.
Old 05-01-09, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I caved. $48 is a pretty nice deal. The ECA discount program is a dangerous thing.
Old 05-01-09, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Decker
Everyone who buys games should probably do it.
This ECA program sounds like a good deal. I just checked it out and looks like I can register with the ECA using my .edu address ( I work at a University) for $14.99
Old 05-01-09, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Umm, I think I put jdpatri's record to shame. My PS3 unplayed queue is about 24-25 games long. Don't even get me started on my DS or PSP queue. Or Blu-ray movies for that matter :/

The problem is, when you see a good deal you have to jump on it. My problem is I see too many deals.
Old 05-01-09, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by jdpatri
Well... maybe that's a bit misleading. I was counting a few Wii games in those 11 (MadWorld, Pro Evo Soccer, Boom Blox).

I went on a PS3 bargain buying spree between Thanksgiving and Christmas last year and accumulated a few too may titles for my schedule to handle... I still buy games like I'm 13 but play them at a 30-year-old's pace.
Try to play at a 43-year-old's pace! This one is on my vague list - I AM definitely getting Red Faction: Guerrilla after playing the demo, plus I was a fan of the franchise. Ghostbusters is a close second.
Old 05-01-09, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by Bandit03
This ECA program sounds like a good deal. I just checked it out and looks like I can register with the ECA using my .edu address ( I work at a University) for $14.99
I did the same thing, though even better I used the student email address they give us! The discount already paid for itself. I was on the fence with inFamous, but with Uncharted goodness, and discount, I had no choice.
Old 05-01-09, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Bandit03
I keep my alumni email address active just for stuff like this.

Last edited by jdpatri; 05-01-09 at 02:15 PM.
Old 05-01-09, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by stingermck
I did the same thing, though even better I used the student email address they give us! The discount already paid for itself. I was on the fence with inFamous, but with Uncharted goodness, and discount, I had no choice.
I won't lie. That Uncharted demo was definitely responsible for putting this on my radar. Marketing suits: 1. jdpatri: 0.
Old 05-01-09, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Even on that they are following the Crackdown formula. Remember that a lot of people bought Crackdown because it included access to the Halo 3 MP beta. Of course everybody thought that the game was going to suck because of that. But the years have put Crackdown in its right place.
Old 05-07-09, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Did any of you get the demo? I'm not sure how you get it originally, a preorder somewhere I believe, but someone at GAF agreed to share it with me so I'll check it out when I get home tonight.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.