Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Split/Second [Q1/2010 |360 & PS3] Burnout, watch your back!

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Split/Second [Q1/2010 |360 & PS3] Burnout, watch your back!

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-10, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Split/Second [Q1/2010 |360 & PS3] Burnout, watch your back!

I played a few races tonight after liking the demo. It's definitely a fun single player experience. The multiplayer, however, is broken. Every race I tried to get into was full of people with a maxed out vehicle, with no way for me to compete. Even level 99 people like myself had a fully maxed car, while mine has 1 bar. Everyone should have the same cars to pick from online. Also, most of the matches won't launch and you get stuck in a lobby while the timer counts from 5 to 0 over and over. Oh well, back to single player!
Old 06-03-10, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by discostu1337
I played a few races tonight after liking the demo. It's definitely a fun single player experience. The multiplayer, however, is broken. Every race I tried to get into was full of people with a maxed out vehicle, with no way for me to compete. Even level 99 people like myself had a fully maxed car, while mine has 1 bar. Everyone should have the same cars to pick from online. Also, most of the matches won't launch and you get stuck in a lobby while the timer counts from 5 to 0 over and over. Oh well, back to single player!
Yep..this is why Burnout Revenge had the best multi arcade racing ever. Everyone was on the same level playing field so the best racers won...not the best cars.
Old 06-04-10, 06:23 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Actually, I'm thinking this is the best arcade racer since Burnout Revenge. I certainly haven't had this much fun racing since I dropped 60+ hours into that game.

So while the thread title started out as a lark, it's becoming true for me.
Old 06-04-10, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm playing in spurts of 30 minutes each day and having a lot of fun. Been able to take gold in everything but I think I was influenced my Michael Corvin's posts that I can't be better than 4th in Air Strike.
Old 06-04-10, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

lol. I've actually moved on from Air Strike since my post above. Now it's Detonator that's giving me fits. I have all Gold on 9 seasons except for a few Detonator.
Old 06-04-10, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I didn't read that about detonator. I didn't read that about Detonator.
Old 06-05-10, 08:00 PM

I rented this to try it out, and after a few days I am just not liking it. I think it would be better if you could hit the other cars to knock them into objects. The driving doesn't feel as good as burnout paradise, I think I am spoiled by that game.
Old 06-09-10, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

The folks at Black Rock are sadistic bastards. I'm of course referring to Detonator courses. I spent an hour, AN HOUR, trying two courses over-and-over again. I eventually beat 1 of them. ONE! Anyway, down to 1 early Detonator(Airplane Graveyard), and the Season 12 Air Revenge and Detonator course. Getting the Beat the Team achievements seems so far out of grasp at this point.

After that I decided to give online a spin again, and managed to work my way up to #1 Form.

Survival online is a blast. Pun intended. Worked my way from 63 to top 10 in this mode before switching over to some races. They need some more out of the box ideas like this one for the sequel. Managed to snag the 'pass 12 trucks w/o wrecking' cheesement this way. Once you pull ahead of the pack it's pretty easy to build up that multiplier.

Racing is fun, but it feels like you don't fill your power meter up near as much as single player. Cars are more spread out so there is little Drafting. Less power meter = fewer triggers = less chaos which basically turns it into a standard racer. Pretty dull. This is where Takedowns would be good. Less chaos, more trading paint.

Elimination is pretty pointless if you haven't mastered the fastest car, as you will never win.
Old 06-09-10, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 403 Likes on 303 Posts

Originally Posted by old_mate
I rented this to try it out, and after a few days I am just not liking it. I think it would be better if you could hit the other cars to knock them into objects. The driving doesn't feel as good as burnout paradise, I think I am spoiled by that game.
I felt the same way. You can kind of nudge them into stuff, but not like Burnout.

I had the game for a few days, liked it, and then it got frustrating. So I traded it in.
Old 06-09-10, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I guess daytime reflexes work better for this game. Knocked out my final 3 courses at lunch completing the game with all Golds.

All that remains are the two "Beat the Team" Achievements. I'm a split second (ha) away from nabbing one of them.
Old 06-11-10, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,207 Likes on 4,234 Posts

Well, I tried a little of this game tonight. It's fun, no doubt. It's not Burnout, but it's got some visceral thrills that make it really exciting. I'm a little disappointed that a lot of these Power Plays seem to be timing/location dependent meaning that you'll have to try and fail several times before you know the right time to pull them off.

I mentioned before I love the HUD of this game -- such a simple concept to stick all the relevant info on the bumper of your car in the chase view, but so effective and I haven't seen that done before. Excellent sense of speed and butter-smooth frame-rate.

Anyone else feel like they really missed out by not having any sort of instant replay in this game? (yeah, you can occasionally see a replay of a power Play after you trigger it, but that was way too brief and in the middle of a race when you don't want to get distracted). It's a feature that's been in most racing games since Gran Turismo, which I first played in Japan over twelve years ago. I'll finish a really close race and think, "Man I can't wait to see that replay....damn I can't!".
Old 06-11-10, 02:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
I mentioned before I love the HUD of this game -- such a simple concept to stick all the relevant info on the bumper of your car in the chase view, but so effective and I haven't seen that done before.
Maybe a racing game hasn't done it, but Dead Space put the info on the character's back.
Old 06-11-10, 04:07 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

(yeah, you can occasionally see a replay of a power Play after you trigger it, but that was way too brief and in the middle of a race when you don't want to get distracted)
Actually I found the replays to be pretty strategic. If you are slightly off course when you trigger a route changer, or drifting into a wall the game course corrects you after the replay is over.

Well, I tried a little of this game tonight. It's fun, no doubt. It's not Burnout, but it's got some visceral thrills that make it really exciting.
Honestly, despite being short, this is the sequel to Burnout Revenge I never got.

Originally Posted by Drexl
Maybe a racing game hasn't done it, but Dead Space put the info on the character's back.
Ghostbusters did as well.
Old 06-13-10, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Picked up this game for $30 and so far I am having a blash with it, but damn this rubberband AI. I feel all of the races I won were by luck rather then skill, and nothing sucks more then losing a lead in the final few seconds by a car who comes out of nowhere.

It seems to me that they want you to suffer in the early going, and once you unlock faster cars, you go back and have a better shot at finishing 1st in all the previous races.
Old 07-15-10, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

okay my turn. I'm playing this game now and yep, more of that Burnout Revenge sorta feel. It's really fun. I still want a boost or turbo button though. Maybe in the next installment.
Old 07-15-10, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I felt that way at first (boost & takedowns) but after playing the whole game, it really didn't need it. I do wish there was car damage though, even if it didn't affect your performance, just some dents and crumples here and there to show you were in a massive wreck.
Old 08-09-10, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Fuck yes! Despite selling shitty, it looks like Black Rock has some DLC around the corner. From Joystiq:

Black Rock Studios plans to release three DLC packs "in the next couple of weeks," as well as a fourth in September. The first three packs will introduce new cars, while the pack coming next month is said to be "major" and will come packed with an entirely new environment
The car DLC isn't all that hot(there's a pic in the link), but a new environtment (whole new Chapter?) sounds awesome.
Old 08-09-10, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,207 Likes on 4,234 Posts

Speaking of new cars, did any one get this game from Best Buy? It came with a code that was allegedly good for three exclusive new cars. When I entered the code, it was actually for a livery pack. I'm done with five episodes now and still haven't found any of the Best Buy cars. How long will I have to wait to see one?
Old 08-15-10, 02:41 AM

I don't see anything taking over the top spot from Burnout Paradise. Of course I know many like the Gran Turismo series, but after GT2 I just didn't enjoy it. The Graphics are spectacular but the driving is too difficult for me.

I love Burnout which is fantastic, plus it has a shitload of DLC which is nice.

Split/Second is a firm #2 though. Very cool!
Old 08-15-10, 02:42 AM

BTW: on the Airfield track (the one in the demo), I scored in the top 1% on the online leaderboards! It's been awhile so it's probably not as high now, but I believe I was #124 or something like that out of everyone.
Old 08-15-10, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Speaking of new cars, did any one get this game from Best Buy? It came with a code that was allegedly good for three exclusive new cars. When I entered the code, it was actually for a livery pack. I'm done with five episodes now and still haven't found any of the Best Buy cars. How long will I have to wait to see one?
I got those also, AFAIK they only show up in Quick Play, and Multiplayer (I think), same goes for the GameStop/WalMart vehicles, and the code unlock cars.

From the main menu, choose options, from the option menu enter:

Coyote AMX Car:
Left, X, Left, X, Left, X, Left, X, Left, X, Left, X, Right.

Disney XD Car:
(PS3) Square, Down, Square, Down, Square, Down.
(360) X, Down, X, Down, X, Down.

Hanzo FX350 CX Car:
(PS3) Up, Square about 4 or 5 times.
(360) Up, X, Up, X, Up, X, Up, X.

I can't vouch for the PS3 versions, but the 360 codes do work.
Old 08-15-10, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Damn I really want this game but want a price drop first. I dont pay above $20 for games anymore.
Old 08-15-10, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

It tanked, so it should be cheap within a month or so. However, it was well worth $40, IMO.
Old 10-22-10, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Looks like Black Rock managed to sneak out the DLC with little to no fanfare. I just happened to see it in the marketplace last night. Think I might use it to push me over that 2400 hump. There are three packs, here's the breakdown:

Survival at the Rock Pack – Minepit Park Track and Survival Race Game Mode
Available NOW!
Price: $4.99 on PlayStation Network; 400 Microsoft Points on Xbox Live***

The Survival at the Rock Pack has intense racing in a brand new track, the Minepit Park track, and a new mode, Survival Race. Survival Race takes the Survival mode from the current game, featuring big rig trucks dropping dangerous barrels, but challenges competitors to finish a set number of laps rather than competing against the clock. The new mode for both single player and multiplayer (online and split-screen) will be available for five Survival tracks, including Minepit Park.

*** It's showing as 560 points on xbox.com and the Marketplace. I'm unsure which price is correct.

-------------------

Deadline Pack – Deadline Game Mode and New Vehicles
Available NOW!
Price: $4.99 on PlayStation Network; 400 Microsoft Points on Xbox Live

The Deadline Pack features a new mode, Deadline, in which players must race against the clock and pick up items on the track to freeze the clock. Drifting while gathering pickups adds even more pickups and also continues to freeze the clock. This single-player only mode is available for 12 tracks.
Also available in the pack are four new vehicles: Ryback Coyote Special (new handling for the original Coyote), Cobretti Centaur (muscle car), Ryback Javelin (muscle car) and Hanzo Kanobo (truck).

-------------------

Quarry Onslaught Pack – Quarry Track and Onslaught Game Mode
Available November 2
Price: $9.99 on PlayStation Network; 800 Microsoft Points on Xbox Live

Quarry is a new track with memorable power plays taking place in an area near the Minepit Park track. The track can be played in the original Race, Elimination, Detonator and Air Strike/Revenge modes and also the new Onslaught and Deadline modes.

The Onslaught game mode is available for both single player and multiplayer, pitting players against each other or the AI while dodging waves of missiles from a circling helicopter. Players must dodge both missiles and opponents to get to the front of the pack to gain points. The mode can be used on nine tracks.
Old 10-22-10, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Are any of these DLC packs the new campaign level?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.