Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Bayonetta Trailer (Platinum Games, Xbox 360/PS3)

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Bayonetta Trailer (Platinum Games, Xbox 360/PS3)

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-10, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts
Re: Bayonetta Trailer (Platinum Games, Xbox 360/PS3)

It's funny that we were discussing the graphics of the game yesterday cos I just got my latest issue of PTOM and they review the game (they gave it 4 and a half stars out of five). On page 71 of this Feb. 2010 issue, they touch briefly on the graphics.

Originally Posted by PTOM
It's almost a shame that we have to mention the flaws in this game, so we'll get them out of the way quickly. We already touched upon the unbalanced difficulty, but we also wish there was a difficulty level between Normal and Easy -- the latter of which is too easy because it basically plays the game for you, pulling off combos regardless of what you push and when you push it. The game is also a bit low-res for our tastes, but it makes up for its graphical softness with it's abundance of style. Finally, the load times are as massive as the bosses, but that's alleviated somewhat by the Practice mode that appears during the wait. (Hint: Press Select to keep the Practice mode on, and make sure you master your combos before rushing into battle.)
And I agree. The graphics aren't all that great but the game is so stylish that it still sucks you in.
Old 01-28-10, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

Look at a side-by-side of the PS3 version vs the 360 version. The PS3 version IS a lot more "low-res" than the 360 version. It looks almost blurry in comparison.
Old 01-28-10, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,130 Posts

You see, that's just it.

I expected the graphics for this game to more or less match the DMC4 game and the like and it did. That's not to say that DMC4 looked bad or "low-res" because it didn't. My point is there was no let down for me while playing Bayonetta like I had while playing another game. Anyway, like the article says, the style is what "pops" here.
Old 01-28-10, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by slop101
Look at a side-by-side of the PS3 version vs the 360 version. The PS3 version IS a lot more "low-res" than the 360 version. It looks almost blurry in comparison.
That must be it, as I only have a PS3.
Old 01-28-10, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It seems the patch for the PS3 is up in the US already.

Originally Posted by Groo The Perverted
just loaded up the game and it says v.1.01 is needed.

138mb.

PATCH IS LIVE IN NORTH AMERICA FOLKS!
Oh and this is kinda funny: http://www.ps3center.net//news/4281/...sony-not-sega/

Last edited by RocShemp; 01-28-10 at 03:28 PM.
Old 01-29-10, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,499 Posts

So considering the Japanese PS3 base is much larger, and presumably Bayonetta sold more for the PS3 over there, did they just not care about the load times? I'm surprised it took them this long to fix (not too long for our market, but how long was it out in JP?)

Oh, and I can confirm that after the patch, there's an install selection on the start menu.
Old 01-29-10, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Who knows? Maybe the Japanese version already allowed you to install? I just find it interesting that Sega didn't make the patch. We have Sony to thank for fixing the problem.
Old 01-29-10, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

And the patch works great. When I pick up an item (like a piece of text) it no longer loads for a few seconds. And the load times are now short enough that I feel like I need to press select in order to practice. What a difference.

And let me just say I hate those red and blue twins. Ugh.
Old 01-29-10, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by fujishig
And the patch works great. When I pick up an item (like a piece of text) it no longer loads for a few seconds. And the load times are now short enough that I feel like I need to press select in order to practice. What a difference.
Glad it worked out. It's an amazing game. I'm playing through again and it's even MORE fun.

And let me just say I hate those red and blue twins. Ugh.
Agreed!! For me by far the most difficult non-boss enemy followed by those Metal Dog Fucks that come right after them. You have to get those bitches during Witch Time and the nail them early with Torture Attacks. I also found that keeping my distance and using the whip (not in Witch Time due to being a bit slow) helped a lot. But I'm sure you knew this already....

Last edited by Giantrobo; 01-29-10 at 10:33 PM.
Old 01-30-10, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Finished the game yesterday, though I put it on easy for the last few levels after being infuriated by those damned red and blue guys. This game is a trip, and I'm glad that Sony released the patch, I was about ready to give up on it.

The red and blue guys do get easier the more I replay earlier levels, but I still have a tough time with those kinships and that opening barrage of missiles. Buying accessories helps (as does buying the bat technique) and I'm learning to parry with that one expensive one. I also hate that there are parts in the game where if an event comes up out of nowhere where you have to press a button or you die, lowering my score.
Old 02-03-10, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

< Addicted to Bayonetta and is 99% he will play it again immediately after he finishes his current run.
Old 02-03-10, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My next game is either this or Darksiders. Anybody that's played both feel like directing me?
Old 02-03-10, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pinata242
My next game is either this or Darksiders. Anybody that's played both feel like directing me?
I just finished Bayonetta and I'm halfway through Darksiders. I feel like Bayonetta has better combat but lacks variety. The combat in Darksiders is good, not great, but the dungeons are a lot of fun. Once you get past the slow start and unlock more of the weapons and items, there's a good deal of variety to the gameplay.

You can't go wrong with either one, but I think I'd say go for Bayonetta first, mainly because it's shorter.
Old 02-08-10, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

so i think i've hit a huge wall in this game. i've been playing on normal and i'm on either chapter 10 or 11. i haven't bought anything except a couple basic techniques and maxing out health pops every time i find a store.

i think i have all of 100,000 halos at this point and haven't bought any accessories. should i buy one? will it make a huge difference in the game? or should i just switch to easy? the game is much harder than the traditional action game (DMC, God of War, etc) as i can usually get through those pretty easily on normal.
Old 02-08-10, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by pinata242
Bayonetta by a fucking mile!
Old 02-08-10, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by deadlax
so i think i've hit a huge wall in this game. i've been playing on normal and i'm on either chapter 10 or 11. i haven't bought anything except a couple basic techniques and maxing out health pops every time i find a store.

i think i have all of 100,000 halos at this point and haven't bought any accessories. should i buy one? will it make a huge difference in the game? or should i just switch to easy? the game is much harder than the traditional action game (DMC, God of War, etc) as i can usually get through those pretty easily on normal.
The accessories are really expensive, but also really valuable.

I'd buy the bat upgrade first (I think you have that by chapter 10) as it's basically an extra opportunity to trigger witchtime, and moves are really cheap compared to accessories.

Moon of Mahaa-Kalaa is really useful, it basically adds a block/parry move. It's also twice as expensive. However, once you get it and get used to it, it'll change the way you play the game. It also helps you get out of those infuriating combos that some enemies do. Takes some practice, though.

Selene's Light automatically activates witchtime whenever you get hit, which depletes your magic but is pretty useful.

Gaze of Despair infuriates all enemies (like auto taunting), which is useful if you want to just spam witchtime, as otherwise you're kinda waiting for them to attack. This is actually really useful when you want to farm for halos.

Pulley's Butterfly acts as a shield as long as you have magic, which can be useful if you need some extra health in some parts.

Evil Harvest Rosary removes witchtime and instead places a bomb when you successfull dodge. This is really useful against enemies which don't trigger witchtime at all (and also for those damned missile-launching ships)

Why do you max out health pops? Also, just read in one of the new mags that when you see Bayonetta eating a lollipop in a cutscene, you can press the button corresponding to the color of the lollipop and get an item. Easy mode is actually a pretty good way to get the layout of the level and the attacks of new enemies, without having to worry about your combos.
Old 02-08-10, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by fujishig
The accessories are really expensive, but also really valuable.

I'd buy the bat upgrade first (I think you have that by chapter 10) as it's basically an extra opportunity to trigger witchtime, and moves are really cheap compared to accessories.

Moon of Mahaa-Kalaa is really useful, it basically adds a block/parry move. It's also twice as expensive. However, once you get it and get used to it, it'll change the way you play the game. It also helps you get out of those infuriating combos that some enemies do. Takes some practice, though.

Selene's Light automatically activates witchtime whenever you get hit, which depletes your magic but is pretty useful.

Gaze of Despair infuriates all enemies (like auto taunting), which is useful if you want to just spam witchtime, as otherwise you're kinda waiting for them to attack. This is actually really useful when you want to farm for halos.

Pulley's Butterfly acts as a shield as long as you have magic, which can be useful if you need some extra health in some parts.

Evil Harvest Rosary removes witchtime and instead places a bomb when you successfull dodge. This is really useful against enemies which don't trigger witchtime at all (and also for those damned missile-launching ships)

Why do you max out health pops? Also, just read in one of the new mags that when you see Bayonetta eating a lollipop in a cutscene, you can press the button corresponding to the color of the lollipop and get an item. Easy mode is actually a pretty good way to get the layout of the level and the attacks of new enemies, without having to worry about your combos.
because without the green pops i die on some bosses. and if i can't progress in the game there's no reason to play it. honestly, this is the first game since the super nintendo where i can't get through it eventually on normal.

i've played the fight with the gold fire and lighning guys when they emerge from the stone statues 20-30x. can't get witch time to activate. basically get one hit in and then dodge again. it's really tough. to this point i've wasted those guys pretty easily, but i'm not sure why these new ones don't trigger witch time on dodges.
Old 02-08-10, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

With the health pops, I thought you could just create them with all the items you find littering the landscape... I think that's why I never bought any.

As I said before, I hate Grace and Glory. The first stage you meet them in was the first stage I opted for easy mode the first time through. There's one part where you fight them and then they reincarnate, on this staircase, where you have to move the camera around to see them... ugh. That being said, I think Selene's Light will help you. And I checked what stage 10 was, I don't remember losing witch time when fighting them there...
Old 02-08-10, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

because without the green pops i die on some bosses. and if i can't progress in the game there's no reason to play it. honestly, this is the first game since the super nintendo where i can't get through it eventually on normal.

i've played the fight with the gold fire and lighning guys when they emerge from the stone statues 20-30x. can't get witch time to activate. basically get one hit in and then dodge again. it's really tough. to this point i've wasted those guys pretty easily, but i'm not sure why these new ones don't trigger witch time on dodges.
The full Yellow lollipops work well and seem to last longer in terms of protection. I always buy the Red Shot before each level. It gives you a one time shot of life after all your life has been depleted.

But yeah you cannot trigger witch time while fighting the Gold Versions("Gracious and Glorious") without that Moon of Khalla upgrade(according to some guy on the xbox Bayonetta forum) You can still use the Bat upgrade to avoid hits. Also, in the level where you're in the tower, you can actually go past them without triggering an attack. Don't break the statues and continue on to the next room. I found that out on "Normal". I haven't arrived there yet on "Hard".

I haven't purchased any of those 100,000+ upgrades yet. I'm playing through and trying to build up my Halo Bank.

BTW, if you play "Hard" one of the things they do is
Spoiler:
throw MORE "Grace and "Glory", "Gracious and Glorious", "Joy"(Sexy Angels), and those Dogs at you starting early on.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 02-09-10 at 06:27 PM.
Old 02-09-10, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i'm also still using the sword and the flame things as weapons. i have a problem finding all the pieces of the lp in some chapters, so i'm probably behind on weapons too.
Old 02-09-10, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

i'm also still using the sword and the flame things as weapons. i have a problem finding all the pieces of the lp in some chapters, so i'm probably behind on weapons too.
Hah! I just last night discovered that some of the former Doorways that have been walled off later in the game can be broken by the Sword's powered up swing. Hold down Y until it's powered up (2 levels) and let it go. I found a new LP and got Kilgore added to the Weapons store.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 02-09-10 at 06:29 PM.
Old 02-10-10, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I didn't like the flame weapons, mainly because they're so distracting. I, too, somehow missed a piece of Kilgore the first time around.
Old 02-10-10, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Durga weapons are powerful. Flame is slow with lots of damage especially when you hold down Y and leave that flame bomb. Electricity is faster but with less damage. The Energy bomb (hold Y) is also faster.
Old 05-05-10, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

This is currently $29.99 at Kmart in-store and online (though currently OOS).
Old 08-27-10, 02:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 401 Likes on 301 Posts

I rented this from Gamefly. Alot of fun, but started to get frustrating after chapter 7 or so. The boss at the airport kicked my ass all over town (I played on normal) so I tossed the game back in the sleeve and sent it back.

I don't have time for shit like that.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.