Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Prototype (Activision, Radical Entertainment) - June 9th

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-09, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Prototype (Activision, Radical Entertainment) - June 9th

I did a search and couldn't find much talk about this game. It's coming from Activision and developed by Radical, who's development history seems to be a big mixed bag of stuff like Crash Bandicoot games, Scarface, Hulk Ultimate Destruction, and Simpsons games.

Description from Wiki -
Prototype (official typeset [PROTOTYPE]) is an upcoming sandbox-style action game in development by Radical Entertainment and based on an original IP developed in-house. On the Prototype website, a timer counted down to January 8 2009, when it hit 0 the real website opened with a new trailer and information about the game. The game is stated for release in June of this year for Microsoft Windows, Xbox 360 and the PlayStation 3.
A key aspect of Prototype is the 'disguise and destroy' concept which is tied to the protagonist's enemy-consuming and shapeshifting powers. The player character is able to consume the bodies of those he has beaten and killed, giving him access to their memories, their experiences, their biomass and their physical forms. The character can also shapeshift into more specialized forms for attack, defense or sensory enhancement. All of these together are intended to give players multiple ways to complete their objectives.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prototype_(video_game)

A new look at the story came out today which looked somewhat interesting which was why I thought I'd post about it.

<object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=8,0,0,0" id="gtembed" width="480" height="392"> <param name="allowScriptAccess" value="sameDomain" /> <param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /> <param name="movie" value="http://www.gametrailers.com/remote_wrap.php?mid=47587"/><param name="quality" value="high" /> <embed src="http://www.gametrailers.com/remote_wrap.php?mid=47587" swLiveConnect="true" name="gtembed" align="middle" allowScriptAccess="sameDomain" allowFullScreen="true" quality="high" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="480" height="392"></embed> </object>

Hulk was a fairly decent game with some cool destructible environments and objects, so this might be interesting given the concept of different powers. No multiplayer though and the graphics look kind of mediocre to me.
Old 05-25-09, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Prototype (Activision, Radical Entertainment) - June 9th

This looks so good.

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/L0hrpf9oSW4&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/L0hrpf9oSW4&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

= J
Old 05-25-09, 11:02 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, as excited as I am for Infamous, once Prototype comes out, I doubt I'll go back to it for a while.
Old 05-26-09, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

this game just doesn't look interesting to me the same way inFamous does

I also find it a bit odd that with the release only 2 wks away you would be hard pressed to find reviews
Old 05-26-09, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow. That video was jaw dropping.

Maybe Prototype to inFamous will be like Saints Row 2 to GTA IV. If so... must buy.
Old 05-26-09, 01:27 AM
Banned

I'll buy both on release day, but yeah, Prototype looks much better. UFC last week, Infamous tomorrow, Red Faction next week, then Prototype, quite a few weeks here.
Old 05-26-09, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I have mixed feelings on this one.

On the one hand, it's hard not to compare this to inFAMOUS given similar themes and release dates, but inFAMOUS came from a developer I have some faith in. It's also reviewing very well and has a great demo. This looks like it could be even cooler based on the video, but I've not seen any actual gameplay, or reviews, or a demo, or even first-hand impressions...and the game is coming out in two weeks.

I am also distinctly not fond of Activision in general (based on how they've handled GH, Tony Hawk, and original IPs like Ghostbusters and Brutal Legend), and I have next to zero trust in how they do business.

So I want to be excited for this, but it also has a bit of a Bionic Commando vibe to it...so I'll reserve my anticipation until I see some reviews.
Old 05-26-09, 12:45 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

based on those two videos, I must play this game.
Old 05-26-09, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have a soft spot for Sucker Punch because of the Sly Cooper games. Based on that and my love of the Infamous demo, I'll be buying that one. I'll probably rent Prototype and see what I think. It looks great in the video, although potentially a little shallow.
Old 05-26-09, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I already bought inFamous and I'm gonna get Prototype after the first price drop, being Activision that should be in a month after release.
Old 06-05-09, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm supporting a Lakers fan with this proper bump.

And I've yet to see any reviews.
Old 06-05-09, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

I was wondering the same thing, the release date is approaching fast, no coverage, no reviews, etc... Hope it's not a bad sign. I've been following this game for months now.
Old 06-05-09, 04:26 PM
Banned

Tues. cannot get here fast enough. I don't care about the lack of reviews, the previews, hands-on segments, and videos have all been incredible. I am really hoping this is a home run, as Infamous and Red Faction have been slight disappointments.
Old 06-06-09, 04:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Finally played it tonight. Fucking awesome. I like it more than InFamous so far if just for the fact that the powers seem so much more epic. Badass so far.
Old 06-06-09, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Hands down this game looks better than InFamous. Too bad it has all the backing and getting whored out left and right; even in theaters. I hope a demo comes out.

Speaking of games coming out with no reviews yet, has anyone seen anything about Damnation?
Old 06-06-09, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Ravenous
Hands down this game looks better than InFamous. Too bad it has all the backing and getting whored out left and right; even in theaters. I hope a demo comes out.

Speaking of games coming out with no reviews yet, has anyone seen anything about Damnation?
I pre-ordered Prototype. No reviews don't have me worried.

As for Damnation, well it sucks
Old 06-06-09, 02:51 PM
Banned

Damnation is horrible, even the achievement whore side of me wants to return this to Gamefly unfinished.
Old 06-06-09, 03:30 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I had credit at Gamestop so I pre-ordered Prototype. If it turns out it sucks I will just bump that reserve to a different game.
Old 06-06-09, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 399 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Tarantino
Finally played it tonight. Fucking awesome. I like it more than InFamous so far if just for the fact that the powers seem so much more epic. Badass so far.

That's good to hear, I was afraid it might suck.
Old 06-06-09, 05:12 PM
Banned

That's great to hear, I am counting on this to save my video game summer. After a few disappointments with other recent releases, Prototype needs to deliver.
Old 06-07-09, 12:50 AM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I bet this game gets a lot of 7.5-8.0's in reviews...no reviews up so close to it coming out is a bad sign....it might even get lower. I hope I am wrong, the game looks fun.
Old 06-08-09, 03:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Might save me some money if it gets a low score.
Old 06-08-09, 03:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

According to the wiki page:

To date the game has three reviews.

The Playstation 3 version earning an 8 from Official PlayStation Magazine UK, and a 9 from PSW UK Magazine.

The PC version was scored 70% by PC Zone (August 2009) Summarising positively with "Wonderful free Roaming", "Slash people up real good", "Stunning views". But negatively with "Missions are a bit dull", "Too many features?" and "Weak visuals"
Old 06-08-09, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

As someone mentioned in another thread, Toys R Us is giving a $20 GC with the purchase of this game this week. Might have to get it based on that alone and then pick up UFC Undisputed (which is giving a $10 GC with purchase).
Old 06-08-09, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I looked on the toysrus site and they had no mention of the GC promotion with this purchase. Is there somewhere else to look. Also, it's a web only purchase and per them, will not be available in the stores.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.