Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Debating about getting a PS3---What are advantages/disadvantages?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-09, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Hey Guys

I would like some feedback on this. I am really tempted to pick up a PS3. However I already own an XBOX360 and I really enjoy that system when I do have time to play it. Just wondering if some of you can provide a list of advantages/disadvantages of having the PS3 when compared to the 360. Are there any glitches like freezing? How is backwards compatibility? I heard it sucks.

One of the games that I'm really interested in is MLB the show 09 and I know it's a Sony only product.

Do any of you here own both systems? And which one do you spend more time playing?

One cool thing that I love about the 360 is the XBox Live community and that I'm able to watching streaming movies/TV shows as part of my Netflix subscription.

Thanks
Old 03-14-09, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk God

Re: Debating about getting a PS3---What are advantages/disadvantages?

Or should I just save my money and just enjoy my 360 because it's not worth it to own 2 systems?
Old 03-14-09, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

The shitty part about owning both is deciding which to one to buy multi-platform games on. I actually told a friend last week that I wish I only had one so I wouldn't have to pick all the time!
Old 03-14-09, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk God

See that's one of the issues I have since pretty much most games released are multi-platform. I'm more of a sports game player than anything and honestly besides the PS3 having an exclusive on MLB the show, most of the other sports titles from EA and 2K look exactly the same on both systems.

I recently picked up Street Fighter IV for the 360 and it looks exactly the same as it's PS3 counterpart.

Also, I'm not hooked up to HD yet, so my video gaming is still in the SD world.

Are there really many more awesome PS3-only titles?

Last edited by DJariya; 03-14-09 at 09:56 PM.
Old 03-14-09, 09:58 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you're not HD and want to play The Show, just pick up a PS2. Saves you a lot of money.
Old 03-14-09, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by SonOfAStu
If you're not HD and want to play The Show, just pick up a PS2. Saves you a lot of money.
I saw The Show is only $30 on the PS2. Is the PS2 being phased out yet or are they still producing games regularly?

Yeah, $129 bucks vs $399 is a big difference I agree.
Old 03-14-09, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk God

So if I'm not HD-ready, then it's probably not worth it huh?
Old 03-14-09, 10:04 PM
Banned

Honestly, ask around your friends and see if anyone has one they don't use anymore. Then you don't even have to buy it. I swear a know at least a dozen people that would give me a PS2 if I wanted one.
Old 03-14-09, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

New models don't have backwards compatibility with the PS2, so that's completely a non-factor unless you hunt for a used 60 or 20 GB model.

Are there other games on the PS3 that interest you that won't be on the 360? And while you don't have an HDTV now, do you plan on having one soon and do you have an interest in Blu-ray's? If those are all yes, and money isn't a problem, then I would say go ahead and buy one.

Now if there aren't any other exclusive PS3 games and you have no interest in Blu-ray, then the 360 is probably sufficient and hopefully another MLB game will keep you happy enough.

Is the PS2 version of MLB 09 the same as the PS3? Often times I hear the PS2 version of current games lacks certain features and updates, at least in some sports games like Madden. Not sure if it's the same.
Old 03-14-09, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think most of the features are the same on the PS2 version of MLB 09, but the PS3 version is a pretty significantly different experience, imo. That said, I can't recommend the OP go run out and buy a PS3 for basically one game-especially when he doesn't even have a HD setup yet. Save the money and put it towards upgrading your TV, imo.
Old 03-14-09, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have a PS3 and I love it. However, I don't own a 360. I think both systems are similar enough that I just need one of 'em (and i LOVE having the Blu-ray feature). But yeah, the 360 might be all you need...
Old 03-14-09, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk God

Are there any other features on the PS3 that would make it worthwhile? I know the 360 has the Xbox Live community. I heard the PS3 has a Playstation network.

Yeah I definitely wouldn't want to shell out over $400 for 1 game. I was more or less looking to see if their is any other significant advantages to having a PS3. It seems to me that pretty much all the games on both systems are similar. I know the 360 has the Halo franchise as an exclusive. What about the PS3? Are there many exclusive games that have gotten rave reviews? The games aren't cheap, so it's not like I'm looking to buy a system and 20 new games.

I definitely plan to get an HDTV one day (when one of my current SD TV's decides to burn out) and when that does happen, I would definitely be interested in Blu Ray. But then again, the 360 is HD compatible and I can always buy a Blu Ray player for under $200.
Old 03-14-09, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk God

You guys have mentioned that maybe if I want to get some Sony exclusive games, a cheaper alternative would be a PS2. However, the last PS system I owned was the PS1. I want to know if the PS2 is essentially dead or almost being phased out now?
Old 03-14-09, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

PS2 has another year or two left, I believe.

However, I have both systems, glad I have both systems, but I absolutely love my PS3. It definitely would help if you had an HD setup.

But, as far as advantages... the blu-ray player is a great plus, it's ability as a media extender and server is leaps and bounds better than the 360's, the PSN is free, already comes with rechargeable controllers, the ability to connect to the internet and stream youtube, hulu and numerous other sites like that is awesome. WiFi included off the bat. Also, the PS3's ability to upscale SD content is top-notch.

There are also some fantastic exclusive games: Ratchet and Clank, LittleBigPlanet, Resistance 1 & 2, Warhawk and then Uncharted: Drake's Fortune (which is one of the best games I've played in years). There's also Metal Gear Solid, although I'm not a fan of the series. There are also a bunch of PSN games that are pretty awesome to play - Pixeljunk Monsters, Pixeljunk Eden, The Last Guy and many more.
Old 03-14-09, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Why would it matter? There are enough games on it to last forever. If you haven't played them they would be new to you. Whether it is dead or not there won't be many games coming out on it. The only reason to buy one is for the games out right now. If you want some future must have consider it dead.
Old 03-15-09, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by SonOfAStu
I have an unopened copy of MLB '09 The Show right now because I was going to do exactly what you said (except I already have a PS2), but after reading a review of the game it is supposedly severely gimped compared to it's PS3 version. And after watching some HD videos of the game, I now find myself in the same position as DJariya....debating adding the PS3 basically just for this one game.

Originally Posted by Baron Of Hell
If you want some future must have consider it dead.
What?

Last edited by Maxflier; 03-15-09 at 12:15 AM.
Old 03-15-09, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
I recently picked up Street Fighter IV for the 360 and it looks exactly the same as it's PS3 counterpart.
See, that's what I'm talking about.

I've been trying to read up, as well as view, the online comparisons and a lot of people are claiming the 360 version of SF 4 looks a little better. With RE 5 some are saying the same exact thing, plus mentioning that the PS3 has a little lag during some parts.

Are either of these statements true? I have honestly have no idea! Unless you get to play both of them you really don't know if one version may be better or not.
Old 03-15-09, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

My PS3 primarily functions as my BD player. I have a couple of games but most of those were multi-platform games where the 360 version was completely sold out.

I have all three systems and in order of playing video games: 360, PS3, Wii.

Oddly, some of the Wii specific stuff like Samba DeAmigo just pissed me off with the dodgy motion controls. I got it for $10 as part of a Reward Zone promo.

I got Burnout Paradise for my PS3 due to my friend having it as well. We have yet to play against each other.

I find the 360 to be a better "family" system with more casual games on the Marketplace, Netflix instant (great for older movies I don't want to waste a mailing on), and with 360 Connect I can access most of my iTunes music & videos along with iPhoto pictures.

I tied MediaLink on the PS3 and it was frustrating as hell. I gave up on the trial and just stuck with 360 Connect.

Now there are some annoyances with the PS3:

1. Movie and music playback are perfectly doable with the controller but if you want to access more advanced features on Blu-ray, you got to get a remote. The only great option is Sony's Bluetooth remote. The PS3 does not have an IR port, its Bluetooth only. There are remotes with IR dongles but none of these have the all the necessary buttons for BD playback.

2. You can only choose one audio output at a time. This means that if you go optical then you need to have to your receiver on. Choose analog and you won't get the 5.1 tracks from games or movies.

3. The controller is a tad lighter and smaller than the 360's "Hulk" pad. You may have discomfort while using it for long game sessions.

4. No trials for a majority of the games on the Playstation Network. That means if a game sounds interesting, you need to read reviews. Watchmen: The End is Nigh is $20 and Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo HD Remix is $15, both without trials. I paid $5 for Mortal Kombat II and wished there was a trial available.

5. No Netflix Instant. I actually have a cousin whose boyfriend pays to rent movies off the Playstation Store at $3-$5 a pop. I tried to explain that for far less, he can rent more movies through Netflix.

There are some major advantages:

1. BD playback! Woot.

2. If you have an HDTV and its connected via HDMI, DVDs are upconverted to 1080p.

3. Playstation Network is FREE! Play with whoever you want and you don't have to shell out $50 a year.

4. Playstation Store offers some great free media downloads like MP3s and featurettes from newly released BDs. You can also subscribe to Qore which gets you free themes, early demos, and videos.

5. You can install Linux on the dang thing! Its a frickin' mini PC.

6. Games can be installed to the hard drive for better performance and gaming. Microsoft started offering this option but it is nowhere as good as the PS3.

7. Bluetooth. Most Bluetooth headsets work with it so you can pick a comfortable headset for gaming.
Old 03-15-09, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The PS3 looks pretty cool, but there has to be a price drop in the pipeline... surely! Assuming there is, then better to wait for now?
Old 03-15-09, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by emachine12
4. No trials for a majority of the games on the Playstation Network. That means if a game sounds interesting, you need to read reviews. Watchmen: The End is Nigh is $20 and Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo HD Remix is $15, both without trials. I paid $5 for Mortal Kombat II and wished there was a trial available.
Watchmen DOES have a trial available. If Street Fighter had a trial available at launch, I'd be $15 richer right now. I hadn't played Street Fighter in years; I bought it and I can't get into it at all.

Trials are an issue, but the situation is improving.
Old 03-15-09, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,499 Posts

2. If you have an HDTV and its connected via HDMI, DVDs are upconverted to 1080p.

4. Playstation Store offers some great free media downloads like MP3s and featurettes from newly released BDs. You can also subscribe to Qore which gets you free themes, early demos, and videos.

6. Games can be installed to the hard drive for better performance and gaming. Microsoft started offering this option but it is nowhere as good as the PS3.
Just to comment on these:

2. is also true for the 360, isn't it? You get upconversion for regular DVDs via HDMI or VGA on the 360.

4. Just to clarify Qore is not free, and I have not really found many free useful free mp3s and only a handful of featurettes (not counting the ads). One extra benefit of the PS3 is that you can easily design and/or download your own themes, if that matters to you.

6. In some ways, the 360 one is better... you can install any game in your hdd, and while performance improvements vary, at the very least it doesn't spin the disk.

The PS3 often has mandatory installs for a lot of their games, meaning you have to have space or you can't play it at all. Only some games support loading extra stuff on your hard drive, and because of the blu ray technology, there are often long load times even after a big install. They are finding good ways to optimize this, though... Killzone 2 has a very small install, and the load times are very reasonable.

Another benefit of the PS3 is that you can install your own hard drive, as opposed to the proprietary 360 drive, so the installs might not be that big of a deal to you.

People (myself included) often complain that downloading things from PSN takes a lot longer than on the 360... at the very least, firmware updates on the PS3 are much bigger in size and take a lot longer to download.

You can mention Home as either a + or - for the PS3.

In general, if you don't want a blu ray player, and you're now blown away by the PS3 exclusives (including some awesome PSN games), I don't see a good reason to invest in a PS3 if you have a 360. I can't think of any multiplatform games that are actually significantly better on the PS3.
Old 03-15-09, 02:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

HD Talk Answer: There are no disadvantages

Video Game Talk Answer: There are no advantages
Old 03-15-09, 02:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

awil1026, Thanks for the info on Watchmen.

fujishig, I never said Qore was free. I said if you subscribe to Qore, then you have access to "free' themes, videos, and demos. But you have to subscribe to get the "free" stuff. Just like Cable/Satelite offers free on-demand. You still have to subscribe to cable/satellite and the channels themselves to get the "free' on-demand.
Old 03-15-09, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,499 Posts

awil1026, Thanks for the info on Watchmen.

fujishig, I never said Qore was free. I said if you subscribe to Qore, then you have access to "free' themes, videos, and demos. But you have to subscribe to get the "free" stuff. Just like Cable/Satelite offers free on-demand. You still have to subscribe to cable/satellite and the channels themselves to get the "free' on-demand.
Right, I knew you understand that, but I could see how someone could mistakenly think from your original post that Qore was a free subscription, because the other stuff you mentioned was free. Just wanted to clarify. It is free a few months late if you subscribe to PSM magazine... while they haven't officially said this, the last six to eight months have all had a code in the back for an older Qore episode. They take out some of the demos and free games that are only for paid subscribers.

I also get Qore free (a few months late, and sans some of the downloads) from PSN magazine, and I have to say IMHO I don't think it's worth buying, unless you really really need to play a demo early or something. The actual content of the Qore "magazine" leaves a lot to be desired. I also don't like that they always seem to come down on the paid nature of Xbox Live Gold, but then they intentionally hold back demos for people that subscribe to their magazine.

Last edited by fujishig; 03-15-09 at 09:35 AM.
Old 03-15-09, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't have a 360 and likely never will, but honestly, if you're not playing in HD and have no use for BR movies, I think you're all set with the 360.

Sure, The Show is the superior baseball game, but the people you play with will be playing other baseball games on XBL.

To answer the original question:

Advantages:

1. Quieter more reliable system
2. You won't get nickel and dimed for Wi-Fi (built-in) or playing online (free)
3. Blu-ray. PS3 is among best players on the market and you'd have to try to scratch one
4. Exclusive games: Uncharted, MGS4, Killzone 2, Little Big Planet, Ratchet, Wipeout HD, Flower, Warhawk, The Show, Motorstorm...all great games
5. Compatibility: USB (headsets/keyboards/mice), Blue-tooth, Wi-Fi, Laptop hard-drive
6. Purely opinion, but I think the PS3 will have a longer lifespan

Disadvantages:

1. Price
2. PSN online is not as robust (but also not as obnoxious)
3. Downloads are slow
4. Controller is not as good (but the D-Pad is better)
5. Lack of Valve support

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.