Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Dead Rising 2: Vegas Zombies!

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-10, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 921 Likes on 654 Posts
Re: Dead Rising 2: Vegas Zombies!

After 5 years of various exclusives, DLC, XBLA games, and a $200 console, I don't understand how people don't own a 360 even if it's just a secondary console.
Old 09-16-10, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
After 5 years of various exclusives, DLC, XBLA games, and a $200 console, I don't understand how people don't own a 360 even if it's just a secondary console.
I thought about it, but it doesn't have enough exclusives for me to bite. Most everything is on both platforms these days, and I prefer the PS3 exclusives. Besides, my backlog is already large enough...
Old 09-17-10, 04:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Because as a disabled video game player, I still can't fully wrap my fingers around all the buttons and what not on an X-Box controller the way I can on the PS3.
Old 09-17-10, 07:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Home of the UF Gators and Nat'l Championships, Gainesville, FL

All my real life friends who own a 360 are on anywhere from their 3rd 360 to their 5th one thanks to RROD. I still have my original 80GB PS3 since it came out. I think some of the exclusives are great as is Xbox Live but its not worth the aggrivation I see my friends go through because of Microsofts shitty construction. my dollars are better spent elsewhere.
Old 09-17-10, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by cruzness

All my real life friends who own a 360 are on anywhere from their 3rd 360 to their 5th one thanks to RROD. I still have my original 80GB PS3 since it came out. I think some of the exclusives are great as is Xbox Live but its not worth the aggrivation I see my friends go through because of Microsofts shitty construction. my dollars are better spent elsewhere.
I too have an original 80GB PS3, but I also now have the new 360 S. It is dead quiet, more attractive IMO than the older 360 models, and hopefully will not suffer from an RROD.
Old 09-17-10, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by sracer
I too have an original 80GB PS3, but I also now have the new 360 S. It is dead quiet, more attractive IMO than the older 360 models, and hopefully will not suffer from an RROD.
I am gonna keep my eye on what is happening with the new 360 slims. If the public starts to say they are way more solid than the older models I'll look into picking one up.
Old 09-17-10, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I had my launch unit from 2005 to 2009 with no issues before upgrading to a Jasper Elite unit last year. Never had an issue with RROD.

I will say however that launch unit was starting to get REALLY loud before I replaced it, lol. Worked fine however.
Old 09-17-10, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

[
What aggravation? If you already have another console, where's the hassle? You have another system to play on while it's away. Plus, it really hasn't been that big of an issue for a year or so, and as pointed out, now the slim is out which supposedly has it licked.

I think I'm on my 6th or 7th(4 RROD), but only the first one was a hassle because it was in that year prior to the Wii and PS3 launching leaving me with nothing to game on. The other times I just use to catch up on Wii & PS3 games since they are neglected the rest of the year.

I just don't see it as that big a deal personally, certainly nothing worth fretting over in the scope of things. If it breaks, it breaks and you have a replacement in a few weeks at no charge.
Old 09-17-10, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

What aggravation? If you already have another console, where's the hassle? You have another system to play on while it's away. Plus, it really hasn't been that big of an issue for a year or so, and as pointed out, now the slim is out which supposedly has it licked.

I think I'm on my 6th or 7th(4 RROD), but only the first one was a hassle because it was in that year prior to the Wii and PS3 launching leaving me with nothing to game on. The other times I just use to catch up on Wii & PS3 games since they are neglected the rest of the year.

I just don't see it as that big a deal personally, certainly nothing worth fretting over in the scope of things. If it breaks, it breaks and you have a replacement in a few weeks at no charge.
Whoa - I did not want to hijack the thread. The majority of my friends that game stick to one system or went with the Wii/360 combo. (none of them really use the Wii much anymore - it is used by their kids.). When their 360's crap out they are irritated because they love the experience. Most of them have young children or are college students - mostly in grad school. Some don't have the disposable income (or the want) to be able to have multiple systems in their homes. The ones that do, have backup 360's because they anticipate that they are going to break. And they all just accept the fact that inevitibly their 360's will die. With almost any other manufactured product people would be outraged and would never buy another of the same product if they could help it. I don't get it. Obviously MicroSoft acknowledges there are issues otherwise they wouldn't issue warranty extensions, etc...

Now let's drop the impending flame war and agree that video games are awesome, competition is good for the marketplace and in the end we all win as gamers.
I'm happy with how I spent my gaming dollars and i am sure you are happy where you spent yours.
Old 09-17-10, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Now let's drop the impending flame war
That's not where I was going, but okay.
Old 09-17-10, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 413 Likes on 309 Posts

I agree. My father-in-law, his son, and a few of his friends all refuse to get a 360 because they believe the PS3 is the best there ever is and will be. They had a PSOne, a PS2, and now a PS3. The system can do no wrong.

They hate the 360 controller, or hate the fact online costs money, etc.

Don't get me wrong, I have a PS3 and love it, but it's mostly for Blu-Ray's and exclusives.

Yeah, because nothing ever happened to the PS3's. Sure, the 360's were breaking down left and right, but MS fixed them free of charge. Besides, the new slim systems are great.
Old 09-17-10, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I had a 360 (got it in January of 2006). It RROD, they replaced it. My second unit would occasionally have disc read errors and when I called they were going to charge me since it was outside of the 1 year warranty and the 3 year was only covering RROD (or so they said). I decided to wait rather than pay since it wasn't a constant problem.

Well wouldn't you know, shortly after the 3 year RROD warranty was up, it RROD on me. They tried to get me to pay again but I just said screw it and decided I'm done with the 360. I went without a system for over a year and then when the PS3 slim came out decided to pick that up last November as I was also looking to jump into BluRay. So far I'm loving it but I did have to send it in for service as the hard drive corrupted on me twice for seemingly no reason.

No system is perfect I guess but MS just left a really bad taste in my mouth so I don't want to give them any more of my business.My brother went through about 7 different ones before finally deciding to sell his while it was still working after the warranty was up.

At this point in the console's life cycle, there aren't many more exclusives out or coming out that I didn't already get a chance to play before mine died. Having said that, if the new ones prove to be a great deal more reliable, I might pick one up if there's a really good deal on one, but for the most part the PS3 is plenty for me since I'm not spending as much time or money on gaming as I did when I was a few years younger.

I'd have loved to had the Dead Rising 2 prequel on the PS3, but not losing sleep over it.

Last edited by Cardiff Giant11; 09-17-10 at 04:44 PM.
Old 09-17-10, 04:17 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

I find it kind of funny how people are simultaneously complaining about the lack of good exclusives on the 360 and complaining about the "Dead Rising 2" exclusives for that console.
Old 09-17-10, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Groucho
I find it kind of funny how people are simultaneously complaining about the lack of good exclusives on the 360 and complaining about the "Dead Rising 2" exclusives for that console.

touché!

Old 09-18-10, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 413 Likes on 309 Posts

When I pre-ordered the new 360 slim in June, I had to wait like three weeks for it to be in stock at Gamestop. I played alot of PS3, and let me tell you I was sooooo bored with it.

Not trying to bash the PS3 because I still use it, but it's just no comparison. Take out the Blu-Ray and I might just sell it

But then I'd miss me some MGS, Uncharted, and Ratchet and Clank.
Old 09-18-10, 06:54 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

This is starting to look like a format war. Both systems have positives and negatives and they each have killer exclusives that no videogame fan should be without.

With that said, people refusing to purchase a 360 based on the RROD is a little silly at this point in time. That problem has seemingly been ironed out with the Slim. Also, the fact that you have to pay for Live is not a big deal. As someone who owns both systems, I find Live to be far superior to the PSN. It can also be had for very cheap.

I know this place has pretty much morphed into a PS3 centric forum, but there is no reason to take shots at the 360, (like that epic fail picture for example.) Let's leave that stuff back in 2005/2006.

Now, bring on Dead Rising 2!
Old 09-18-10, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Eric D.
This is starting to look like a format war. Both systems have positives and negatives and they each have killer exclusives that no videogame fan should be without.

With that said, people refusing to purchase a 360 based on the RROD is a little silly at this point in time. That problem has seemingly been ironed out with the Slim. Also, the fact that you have to pay for Live is not a big deal. As someone who owns both systems, I find Live to be far superior to the PSN. It can also be had for very cheap.

I know this place has pretty much morphed into a PS3 centric forum, but there is no reason to take shots at the 360, (like that epic fail picture for example.) Let's leave that stuff back in 2005/2006.

Now, bring on Dead Rising 2!
I bolded the parts that make your statement "a little silly".

Ultimately, the bottom line is that if anyone is serious about the Dead Rising franchise, then the 360 is the choice. DR2 (and case 0) were the reasons why I was willing to risk getting back into the 360 realm with the slim.
Old 09-18-10, 10:19 AM

I bolded the parts that make your statement "a little silly".
So you think its perfectly rational for people to completely avoid buying a 360 because of the RROD? Seriously?
Old 09-18-10, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

It is an aggravation when your system dies regardless of how many others you have on hand. We all get used to having a primary system with our main game saves and other stuff on it and when they don't last as long as we expect them to and have to send them off for repair and replacement is does become bothersome. I've had two PS3 60s go bad on me and I had a second system both times but it still put me out as I lost everything twice including all of the music I had installed, videos, etc. So even if you have the fortune of owning multiple systems it doesn't make the loss of your go to system any easier. And Sony can kiss my ass with their 150 dollar charge to replace your system with a refurbished one while losing everything on your hard drive.
Old 09-18-10, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Anubis2005X
I thought about it, but it doesn't have enough exclusives for me to bite. Most everything is on both platforms these days, and I prefer the PS3 exclusives. Besides, my backlog is already large enough...

I have and have always had all systems from the major game companies. I have to admit over the last few years.....Nintendo has turned me off in a big way. The wii simply is not a true gaming maching in my opinion. My wii serves as my netflix streaming machine and that is about it.

Anyhow....the 360 is worth owning if only for the Gears of War games. There are others no doubt such as the Mass Effect games, Alan Wake....

Love my PS3 with the Uncharted games...Killzone 2...Killzone 3 coming soon. I guess my point is there are always games on each system I want to play and do not want to miss so in the end it is worthwhile for me to own all systems from the big 3.
Old 09-18-10, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Eric D.
So you think its perfectly rational for people to completely avoid buying a 360 because of the RROD? Seriously?
Yes... until it has been shown that the slims don't suffer from the RROD. Adding the "seemingly" disclaimer doesn't make your claim any more solid. Even Elites have suffered from the RROD. We really don't know if the slims will suffer or not. So to judge someone as being a bit silly because they are cautious (given MS' track record with the 360s) is itself a bit silly. Why you feel the need to "defend" Microsoft by critiquing someone's decision to avoid buying one of their products is a mystery that I don't care to solve.
Old 09-18-10, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I agree, if someone doesn't want to buy one for that reason, me being one of them until I see for SURE the RROD is gone, then that is their business.

If I bought a brand new car and the second I drove it off the lot it broke down, got another one and it did the same thing, do you think I would get another one? Even though my friend had one that drove off the lot just fine and worked for 10 years. I still wouldn't get one. I don't care to give my money to a company that has failed me, i couldn't care less if it has been good to others.

They could fix it later. Great, it doesn't mean that I still want to support a company that has consistently failed me for a long period of time, multiple times without some damn good reason, or proof that I won't have that issue again.
Old 09-18-10, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

At what point does it become "safe" for one to buy a 360? Is there a magic date or something? 'Cause the Jaspers have been out for a year-and-a-half now and have been pretty much trouble-free, AFAIK, and the new units should be even better than those. Is it a year from when the new models started shipping? Two years? Five years?
Old 09-18-10, 07:29 PM

Yes... until it has been shown that the slims don't suffer from the RROD. Adding the "seemingly" disclaimer doesn't make your claim any more solid. Even Elites have suffered from the RROD. We really don't know if the slims will suffer or not. So to judge someone as being a bit silly because they are cautious (given MS' track record with the 360s) is itself a bit silly. Why you feel the need to "defend" Microsoft by critiquing someone's decision to avoid buying one of their products is a mystery that I don't care to solve.
I guess we just have to disagree then.

You act like I'm white knighting MS and that's not the case at all. It just seems like the only people who hold the opinion that the 360 is not worth owning because of the RROD are PS3 owners and MS haters. I've only had one RROD and it was a launch unit. It was fixed for free and returned within a week. Granted, others have had it far worse but that missing week is not enough for me to regret ever owning the system. While MS completely messed up with the RROD, I just don't see it as bad enough to avoid purchasing something that you would otherwise enjoy. Especially now when it's a well known problem that is quickly fixed and the new systems are less likely to break down.

Should people completely avoid the PS3 because of the YLOD and the fact that some updates brick the system? Not at all.
Old 09-18-10, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm starting to get a bit worried. Every advertisement focuses solely on the combining of weapons. I'm hoping there's more to the game than that.

This thread is a fucking mess.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.