Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

iPhone/iPod Touch App Talk

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-09, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: iPhone/iPod Touch App Talk

Originally Posted by GatorDeb
For those using Tangram Puzzle Pro, you can tap the pieces to get them out of the drawer instead of sliding them out
I just shake the iPod to get them all out at once.

I'm probably buying Monopoly next while it is on sale for $5.
Old 01-09-09, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys, we (that is, my company) just released Tic A Tac Poker. If you like poker you should at least take a look—it's pretty fun. $1.99 in the App Store.

Here's a review:

[/shill]

Last edited by Breakfast with Girls; 01-09-09 at 05:06 PM.
Old 01-09-09, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 234 Likes on 167 Posts

It has 10 reviews and they're all 5's....

Last app purchase of this week

Well that sucks...used my AA-ipod adapter (which I bought 2 years ago) and I got a message on the Touch that charging through this device is not supported. I have another AA-USB charger which I'll try tonight. Also got 4 of my 2700s to try out.

Last edited by GatorDeb; 01-09-09 at 05:44 PM.
Old 01-09-09, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Breakfast with Girls
Hey guys, we (that is, my company) just released Tic A Tac Poker. If you like poker you should at least take a look—it's pretty fun. $1.99 in the App Store.
You have my $1.99 looks very cool.

BTW, just finished all of quest mode on Glyph and I can not recommend this game enough even though it is back up to $5. Just a brilliant version of Sega Swirl and works great with the touch control of the iPod Touch/iPhone screen. I've also been enjoying Gamebox Asia which is a pretty nice Mahjong game for 99 cents. It has a cool tournament mode and two other tile game variations. It was a $10 game back on the Palm OS and Pocket PC.
Old 01-09-09, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'll have to check that out.

I'm liking Pixelcross, but one thing that is really annoying me (and in a couple of other games) is the way it turns off your music when you play it. There should at least be an option to play your own songs (or if there is I haven't found it). This should be mandatory in all games, like custom soundtracks on the 360. I might send that as a suggestion to the makers.
Old 01-10-09, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I've noticed that games that allow music playthrough make it a point of stating so in the description as a bonus, so it's the exception rather than the rule. I'm sure it involves some extra programming that the person making the game needs to learn. But this is why apps are so great, they can be changed. I'm sure they'll implement it if you mention it.

While you're at it could you include the finger-swiping thing?
Old 01-10-09, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I finally had to break down and do Xs on the 8X8, 4th level, 2nd puzzle. I've done Picross DS many times (the whole thing, both types). It takes me 30 secs - 2 mins to do most of these on PixelCross.

Any hints on Fieldrunners? That game pisses me off. I get to level 30-something and start losing hearts. My main problem are when things are moving too quickly. I guess I should really utilize the water, which I don't. I wish it could spit water faster.

I'm looking for a battery solution. There's external, but only two extra hours:
http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trk...All-Categories

There's this for 30 bucks:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ipod-iphone-touc...1|293:1|294:50

(have to ask if it fits 2G).

My two AA-ipod chargers were a no go

Searching for "ipod touch 2g battery" brings up tons of stuff http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trk...g+battery+ipod

I would really like to know the regular battery's rating. Anyone know?
Old 01-10-09, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

For Field Runners:
- upgrading towers early seems to work better than building more towers.
- for ground units build a snaking path to give each tower the chance to shoot twice.
- for air units I built 3 rockets in the a line, then 2 lighting in the next tier, then 3 rockets, and then 2 lighting etc. The lighting are more powerful, but the rockets get good splash damage on the ground unit.
- for water towers, put one on either side of your rockets and lighting to cover the air units. Then maybe put one or two elsewhere on the line to slow down the ground units.

I managed to complete normal using a setup like this.
Old 01-10-09, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I play custom soundtracks on almost all the games. If the game kills the music when I launch it I just double tap the home button to bring up the music bar and usually the music will play while gaming. The only game I have run across that keeps stopping the music is the EA Sudoku game.
Old 01-11-09, 02:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks a ton darkside. I had no idea about the double tap feature. Saved!
Old 01-11-09, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ok ladies and gentleman I have an offer for you guys especially Deb sense she is blowing so much on apps. I wrote some reviews a long time ago mainly for fun sometimes some small sites. I kind of wanted to do it again for the hell of it. Now L&O's has most games covered pretty good (not that I wouldn't like to do other systems), but I thought I would start with apps (also thinking about XBLA games). So here is the deal you guys pick a game preferably not a cheap game something $5 or more and I will write up a review for it. I would like it if you guys picked a game that you are on the fence on so that maybe the review can help you make your decision. I was thinking about Rolando but there are a lot of reviews out for this game and everyone loves it, but if that's what you choose that's what I will do.

P.S. this is partially selfish I am looking for more full games and I can't decide
Old 01-11-09, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

So you're paying for this out of pocket?

I'll make a list of all my games and then you can ask me to review any of them and ask me questions about them Will post the list within the next two hours or so.

Here's my list of games. I included free ones if I think they're as good as paid ones. I have a few that haven't generated a receipt yet.

Spoiler:

Tanzen $1
Blackbeard's Assault $1
Tangram Puzzle Pro (Free)
Trism $3
Crash Bandicoot $6
iMazePro $1
South Park Imaginationland $1
Topple (Free)
Tangram Puzzle Pro Holiday Edition (Free)
iSpot (Free)
ArtPuzzle ($2)
iFart Mobile ($1)
Guitar Rock Tour ($6)
Bejeweled 2 ($3)
Tetris ($5)
Flipster ($2)
Jiggy ($1)
Puppies ($1)
Jigsaw Touch ($1)
Aqua Jigsaw ($2)
Jigsaw Wild ($2)
Love Jigsaw ($2)
Kaleidoscope ($1)
Puzzoodle Jigsaw ($1)
Jigsawed ($1)
iPushFit ($2)
Alli's Jigsaw Puzzle ($1)
Giant Jigsaw ($1)
Jigsaw Pro ($1)
7-in-1 Game Pack ($1)
Boardwalk Bowl ($1)
Scrabble ($5)
Monopoly ($5)
Fieldrunners ($5)
7 Cities TD ($5)
Puzzle3D NYC ($3)
Super Fruitfall ($3)
Bonsai Blast ($4)
FindIT ($1)
Wordsearch $2
Crosswords ($10)
PixelCross ($3)
Picross ($3)

They're in pretty much the order I bought them.

PixelCross finally got hard. I'm on level II of the 12X12s, and I'm getting used to sliding the screen. Maybe Picross won't seem like such a chore since the screen sliding was my biggest beef.

I took a USB-Wall charger and played it all-night-long yesterday. It was awesome. Got through a whole game of monopoly, got through some iPushFit, did quite a few Dog puzzles, did a few PixelCross, got pissed again at FieldRunners, played some Trism and Tetris.

Last edited by GatorDeb; 01-11-09 at 12:02 PM.
Old 01-11-09, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I found an easy way to get to level 50 on the first FieldRunners mode

I was trying to do this: http://www.criticaltheory.net/subato...php?f=10&t=297

But did it wrong (too narrow) and ended up coming up with an easy way to get to 50 (I died on level 67... you won't make it to 100).

Picture 001

Pretty much start at the end farthest to where the enemy starts (all the way to the right) with a couple, and start building out, then swapping for more powerful stuff.
Old 01-11-09, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yes Deb I am paying for it out of pocket.
Old 01-11-09, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm on the fence about Yahtzee Adventures.

Wouldn't it be cool if we had a Touch/iPhone game section and DVDTalk paid for the game if we gave an in-depth review?
Old 01-11-09, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm on the fence about Yahtzee Adventures.

Wouldn't it be cool if we had a Touch/iPhone game section and DVDTalk paid for the game if we gave an in-depth review?
I bought this one and liked it. The Adventure mode is fairly short (I probably played through it in 3 hours), but I have still gone back many times to replay the different modes. I really like the version with different color dice. You not only have to make combos with the standard numbers but also by matching the colors of dice. Makes for a version you couldn't play anywhere but a video game and my wife and I play that one all the time.
Old 01-11-09, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I might have to get it if it's that good and has replay value. I love Yahtzee

Here's the foolproof way to beat Fieldrunners. Note I'm on level 100 and have lost no hearts.

Picture 017

If you notice next the gate there's a gap. You pretty much start one line from the gate on out towards where the enemy comes in. The guy in the link I provided above went 10 deep, so I did too. The width is three units in between, or 5 units total if you're counting the two lines. I.e. in between the two lines you could fit three units side to side.

Here's where it gets good. The enemy will go towards the hole. If the enemy hasn't been killed by the time it gets to the gap, pause the game, sell the unit across the hole, and put a unit in the hole (make sure you have at least $5 at all times, preferable $20 or so). The enemy will have to go around your arc of defenses to get to the hole in the other side. Air units will go straight towards the gate because they fly over your defenses. That's what the stuff in the middle is for. I was able to handle all air units all fine and upgraded here and there. Then I started putting stuff in between the left edge of my rectangle and where the enemy comes in.

If the enemy gets to the gap, pause, sell across, put unit there, if enemy gets around defenses and gets to the gap again, repeat, until enemy is gone. No ground unit will gets past 100%, because you can repeat this cycle as many times as needed, with a net cost of $2 per switch ($3 to sell, $5 to buy) and a little decrease in score. Some tank units took 3-4 cycles to beat.

Foolproof

I love this game. Most favorite game so far.
Old 01-11-09, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Wow that's interesting. I did the more traditional tower defense route just making a snaking path go back and forth across the map. Water towers and guns on the left or right with lightning, missiles, and water in the middle (where the air units go through). So far I've completed the Easy and Normal modes and gotten to level 70 or so on Hard. Yesterday, I completed Easy on the 2nd map, forgotten the name. Pretty fun.

Btw, anyone played Galcon multiplayer yet? I was getting a little tired of playing the AI but I tried online and played a bunch of online yesterday. So much more engrossing. Great stuff.
Old 01-11-09, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Here's how to beat Crossroads (the 2nd one) without missing a heart

http://www.criticaltheory.net/subato...php?f=10&t=439

BTW there's a Risk game called Lux (and they have a lite version). That was a purchase for me because every since my ex-brother-in-law introduced me to Risk in 1990, I've been a huge fan but 1. There never seems to be anyone else who likes the game 2. Takes too damn long to play. Touch == problem solved

I'm down to one game missing: Blokus. I'm going to contact the game maker to see if they can make a Touch version. And waiting for Zuma to make its appearance.

Last edited by GatorDeb; 01-11-09 at 06:22 PM.
Old 01-12-09, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm playing Lux lite. Also a fan of risk. I had a look at the description for the deluxe version and didn't see too much incentive to upgrade (yet). What do you think of the full version?

For Crossroads, I'm going to work at it myself, otherwise no fun .
Old 01-12-09, 01:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I have to spend some time with it. I'll let you know in a week. I think the main difference is AI levels and maps (I have like six different difficulty levels and more are rumored).

Best app name: Whack It: Santa.
http://appshopper.com/games/whack-it-santa

(it's a hit-the-mole game).
Old 01-12-09, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I found a better way to beat Fieldrunners Classic This one is just plain evil... I love it!

Pretty much start putting gatlings starting at the far end of the field and going towards the enemy. Only one unit wide. You can do one line first and then the other or alternate. Once you get to the end of the field, making sure to leave one space between where the enemy comes in and your last/first gatling, start alternating rockets/goo/tesla towers on the outside of the lines, and upgrade to the max before putting up another one.

The enemy will walk down the middle and get bombarded. If anyone gets close to the gate, pause, sell the gatling closest to the gate (side doesn't matter) and smack it right in front of the offending unit.

This is the best part. You created a hole but in order to get there the unit has to go back through your whole line again! Then it has to make it all the way down the side. Whenever the next unit gets close to the side, just pause, sell the unit smack in front of the gate, and recreate your neat two lines.

I had to make TONS less swaps with this. And the pure evilness is just icing on the cake.

FRa

FRb

FRc

Last edited by GatorDeb; 01-12-09 at 07:27 AM.
Old 01-13-09, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If you like that sort of thing, Paper Football Premium (reg. $5) is being given for free
Old 01-13-09, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you like that sort of thing, Paper Football Premium (reg. $5) is being given for free
Thanks. I have a brother in high school who just got an iTouch but has no cash to buy anything so free games are always good.
Old 01-13-09, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Mimeo ($5) is also free right now. What I do is go to appshopper.com and select Games and then Free. Those who usually cost and are free for a limited time will have their price crossed off.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.