Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

iPhone/iPod Touch App Talk

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-09, 10:49 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts
Originally Posted by GatorDeb
And battery life is atrocious. Last night I got the 20% warning after 4 hours of gaming.
I discovered Tap Defense last night. It must be a huge battery hog. I might have had wireless and bluetooth turned on, but a couple hours of playing completely drained a full battery.
Old 01-05-09, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 234 Likes on 167 Posts
You must get the Guitar Hero game for $6 for 17 songs

I was checking my Paypal account for something else and I spent $45 in one app shopping spree It's so easy to click and buy. Since I bought this infernal machine I've spent $67.68 Oh well it's about the cost of a new 360 or PS3 game and I'll spend more time on all those apps than in one of those games, so I guess money well spent.

Last edited by GatorDeb; 01-05-09 at 11:28 AM.
Old 01-05-09, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: iPhone/iPod Touch App Talk

What's the app name for the arcade bowl one? I love skeeball! I found "Boardwalk Bowl" (skeeball) for a buck.

The penguin one was alright but I would never get through all the levels so I'm just keeping the free one.

It sucks that there's an app limit. Think Apple can fix that with a firmware upgrade? I'm almost full and it's all stuff I love! I have NINE spots left after adding Scrabble and Boardwalk Bowl.

Edit: I unchecked "Sync apps" and it warned me that all apps AND THEIR DATA would be deleted, so if I ever uncheck one I have to start all over. Do the 420 Tangram puzzles again? Have to redo Blackbeard's Assault? Have no puzzles completed? Apple better update the firmware to include unlimited apps....
You could always jailbreak it. That gives you the capability of putting things in folders. . The app is called Arcade Bowling http://appshopper.com/games/arcade-bowling
Old 01-05-09, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No jailbreak for the 2G iPod Touch. HIGHLY anticipating it.
Old 01-05-09, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I bought like $60 worth of apps, music and videos right away for my touch ...i'm addicted to it!

Last edited by mdc3000; 01-05-09 at 01:22 PM.
Old 01-05-09, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

ioffer seems to be removing their auctions and a new account was created by a "friend" to help with the tons of sales, and that friend seems to have their Paypal account suspended.
Old 01-05-09, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

yeah, probably too shady for most people... i'll remove that info....but it did work for me (however not on my primary itunes account, created a new one just in case something happened, I wouldn't be totally screwed).
Old 01-05-09, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

And one of the biggest ripoffs I've found... a calendar for $2.

http://appshopper.com/utilities/usa-...-calendar-2009
Old 01-06-09, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

JACKS !!!!!!
http://appshopper.com/games/ijacks-tutorial
Preview. Lets you go through one jack, two jacks, and three jacks at a time. The full app comes out in February. It will go up to 10 jacks and also incorporate other stuff like double bounce. Damn is this cool. Day-one purchase for me. How about that, anticipation for Touch games

I'll be taking mine to the Apple store tomorrow to have the battery checked. It can't die after three hours of gaming.
Old 01-07-09, 10:21 AM

I've downloaded Choc Choc Pop Lite and Chocolate Shop Frenzy Lite. So far I actually prefer Choc Choc Pop Lite because it's so similar to Bejeweled. I may plonk down some money and buy the full version of the game.
Old 01-07-09, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have an appointment at 8.50 tonight to have my battery checked out. It is driving me nuts. I love the little thing but it HAS to last me a whole shift at work no matter what I'm playing. Today I ran it down until it turned off and it did turn off almost at the end of my shift but all I played all night was mostly a wordsearch app that prided itself in using no battery. Grr.
Old 01-07-09, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I have an appointment at 8.50 tonight to have my battery checked out. It is driving me nuts. I love the little thing but it HAS to last me a whole shift at work no matter what I'm playing. Today I ran it down until it turned off and it did turn off almost at the end of my shift but all I played all night was mostly a wordsearch app that prided itself in using no battery. Grr.
I take my USB cable to work and charge the thing. It is a cool device, but using the Wi-Fi or playing games kills the battery quick. I wish Apple had made the Touch the same size as the iPhone and stuck a big battery in there. Thin is nice, but short battery life is not.
Old 01-07-09, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

For security purposes we're unable to plug anything into the computers I'm going to have to buy a wall charger.

So I rounded up my most-played DS games and got 2 Picross games for $3 each and a crossword app for $10 that downloads various puzzles a day, so it pretty much has unlimited content. That along with the tangrams and wordsearch rounds up my "DS games."

I got:
http://appshopper.com/games/picross
http://appshopper.com/games/pixelcross
http://appshopper.com/games/wordsearch-unlimited
http://appshopper.com/games/crosswords

I also played quite a bit of a puzzle-type game this morning. The best way to describe it is having a picture made of glass and shattering it and putting it back together. Got through a few of the easy puzzles. It gets really hard.
http://appshopper.com/games/ipushfit

Last edited by GatorDeb; 01-07-09 at 10:53 PM.
Old 01-08-09, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Deb there is a new cable coming out http://www.matias.ca/tuneblocker/index.php that blocks data back and forth. I wonder if you could use that on your computer at work. I've actually thought about getting one of these, but I'm cheap and would rather spend that money on apps.
Old 01-08-09, 03:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well I'm looking to quit that job soon so I'll hold off Interesting idea, though. But if they see me with the cable I still have to prove I'm not doing anything, so it's better not to have anything hooked up in the first place.

Edit: Upon checking out the cable, it has a switch that either allows or blocks data, so the cable itself can still transfer data. Wouldn't fly at my job.

I found my new favorite jigsaw app - Jigsawed. About 80 built-in puzzles, and three downloadable sites - NASA, Flickr, and National Geographic. Each has many many pictures and you can save any of them to the Touch. Through options you can go up to 144 pieces which is a lot for the Touch screen. You can select to have rotation on or off. The one thing I'll suggest to the developer is to have a piece scroller at the bottom because as it is now you have to keep pushing pieces aside.

Last edited by GatorDeb; 01-08-09 at 05:15 AM.
Old 01-08-09, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I just grabbed FieldRunners, glad I did, since it's much better than Square Enix's Crystal Defenders. Pity there's no demo but worth the $5. Also I bought Monopoly because it just went on sale.
Old 01-08-09, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

I like Monopoly -- it's quick and fun but more importantly the cpu plays relatively smart.

On the other hand, Scrabble is a bitch. I'm spelling words like 'cows' and 'spice' and it's spelling "quixotic" using the triple word spaces and double letter tiles -- it kicks my ass each and every time.
Old 01-08-09, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

GatorDeb got me wanting a puzzle game. I got Tangram Pro and love it. It's a great "at work" game. When I get a few minutes I can break it out, and have a little quick fun. Thanks.

I also picked up Centipede. This is one of my old favorites - first game done by a woman. I still prefer a trac-ball, but the touch screen is the next best thing.
Old 01-08-09, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

For those using Tangram Puzzle Pro, you can tap the pieces to get them out of the drawer instead of sliding them out

Ah, so Field Runners == Castle Crashers. Pass for me.

I passed on Spore just because multi-eyed creatures freak me out.

My want list: Blokus (would make the PSP obsolete), Puzzle Quest, and Zuma. Then it will be complete

Last purchase was Monopoly.

There's something to be said about buying apps now instead of later. I bought "Classics" for a buck and it's now $5. When I bought it had around 7-9 books and it now has 15. They seem to roll out new books fairly often.

Spoiler:

Flatland (one of my most favorite books ever!)
Alice in Wonderland
Robinson Crusoe
Gulliver's Travels
Paradise Lost
20,000 Leagues Under The Sea
The Jungle Book
Hound of the Baskervilles
The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
The Metamorphosis
The Time Machine
Call of the Wild
A Christmas Carol
Pride and Prejudice
Treasure Island

I love it how you get more content for free with these apps. The Classics people have a website at http://classicsapp.com/ Something that sets this apart is the wonderful look of the paper and font - it's tons more readable than Stanza. I don't know if I would have paid $5 for it (probably would since it's about 33 cents per book right now) but a buck was a no-brainer.

Last edited by GatorDeb; 01-08-09 at 12:11 PM.
Old 01-08-09, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Ah, so Field Runners == Castle Crashers. Pass for me.
Actually, Field Runners is a strategy game in the Tower Defense mode. Castle Crashers is a scrolling brawler. Anyway, Field Runners is a bit like the free TapDefense so you could check that out.

Also, I was wondering, which is the best picross style game to get out of the 2 you tried?

Thanks
Old 01-08-09, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Unfortunately I have a favorite feature on both of them

Pixelcross has 180 built-in puzzles.

5X5, 8X8, 12X12, 20X20

Each one has a subsection that has to be completed to go to the next, and the higher ones are locked until you finish the lower ones.

I like that you can swipe your finger to select multiple ones, but it's annoying that if you swipe your finger over one that's already marked, it unmarks it. So if there's a 5 going down and a five going across, you swipe five down but then have to do two and two going right or you're going to swipe off the center one (don't know if this makes any sense ). You can type an icon to change to X's and tap an icon to change back to filled-in squares. So far I haven't bothered with X's. Don't know how it handles big squares because I haven't unlocked everything yet.

PixelCross also has Web Challenges (81 so far). But you need Wifi to play (it's one-player only, though). You can't save it to the (just typed DS) Touch, though, so I don't count them as puzzle packs.

"Picross" has no swiping. You have to select one by one. This is annoying. What's awesome is that you can download new puzzle packs. I downloaded 2 new puzzle packs and now have a total of 108 puzzles. I find the big puzzles hard to navigate on this one as you can't zoom out. If you've played the DS one, picture zoomed-in mode all the time. It's horrendous. Don't know how the other one handles big boards. There's X mode and mark mode, easily changed by tapping the appropriate tab.

So I like PixelCross for everything except limited content, since Picross seems to have more longevity (even though initial built-in puzzles are less than in PixelCross).

I'll have to try TapDefense.

This really is a wonderful (plugged in) gaming machine. Haven't touched my DS in a couple of weeks. More games I like and almost all of my DS favorites have counterparts (and I'm sure all will in due time). Using your finger really is better than the stylus.

There's a sale on FindIt, a find-the-differences game (a buck). 100 puzzles. Yesterday and today it says ONE DAY SALE ONLY

Last edited by GatorDeb; 01-08-09 at 06:46 PM.
Old 01-08-09, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yeah I know what you mean about swiping. I tried the Pixelcross lite version which had the 5x5 puzzles and seemed really fun. But as a complete noob to this kind of puzzle (never played DS picross) I was wondering what the difference was between the two. I might go with Pixelcross based on your feedback (of course at those prices, it's hardly a budget breaking decision!).

I know it's been said on GamersWithJobs and also 1UPYours podcasts that they've had experienced fairly short battery lifes with their gaming sessions (in the 1-2 hours range with some games). I guess it's part of your commute and you plug in every night then it's not so bad. But for those international plane flights I might still need my DS. After all, I'll probably want to keep the iPod charged for music!
Old 01-09-09, 02:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well they have quite a few AA->iPod adapters. I'd just get one of those if I traveled constantly.
Old 01-09-09, 01:46 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

I bought a DS several months ago but still haven't opened it. The more I play the games on the iphone the more I think I'll sell my DS unopened.

Tap Defense is just amazingly fun and more addictive than I care to admit.
Old 01-09-09, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If you liked Prism on the DS, RUN and get "Enigmo" for $2. Comes with 50 built-in levels and you can download user levels for it. As of right now there are 373 user levels to download. So that's 423 levels out of the box for 2 bucks.

If you never played Prism, there's a bottle sprouting water at the top and you have to put things in its way (mirrors, containers, etc.) to redirect it somewhere else.

Spent $10 and got both FieldRunners and 7CitiesTD. Started with Fieldrunners and got to level 43 grr level 50 unlocks the other level. This game is addicting as hell! I'm sure I'll get my $10 worth out of both of them.

I looked through my stuff and found my AA-iPod charger, so I'll be testing it at work tonight. I have some Eneloop so I want to see how long a pair of AA last (I've been trying to find out what's the Touch's battery rating without avail). The Eneloops I have are 2000 mAh and I'll be taking 2 pairs to work (the AA-iPod charger takes 2 at a time).

I keep telling myself no more games but they're so good I can't help it I got Super Fruit Fall (loved it on the PSP) and you tilt or drag to move the fruit!

Last edited by GatorDeb; 01-09-09 at 04:56 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.