Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did Sony think this though at all?
Old 12-12-08, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse
Home is the greatest thing ever.

The coolest thing I've ever seen.

Finally Sony will crush Microsoft and win the console wars.
Old 12-12-08, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The guys over at Penny Arcade don't have much nice to say about Home.

The Beta for Playstation home is now available to everyone, and now you know what I know: this is what happens when your marketing department tries to make a game. Here is everything you need to understand about Home, if you should accidentally launch it from your XMB: press and hold the Playstation button in the center of your Dual-Shock or Sixaxis controller. From the menu that appears, select Quit.

There are things about Home that are simply beyond my understanding. Chief among these bizarre maneuvers is the idea that, when manufacturing their flimsy dystopia, they actually ported the pernicious notion of scarcity from our world into their digital one. This is like being able to shape being from non-being at the subatomic level, and the first thing you decide to make is AIDS.

If you approach an arcade machine and there is a person standing in front of it, you will not be able to play it. Likewise, if you see people bowling and think that bowling is something you might like to do, you probably wont be able to. Unable to play arcade games like Ice Breakers and Carriage Return the first several times we logged on, these games had begun to take on an epic stature in our minds. These were gushing fonts of liquid fun, habit-forming and dangerous - for the good of our virtual society, the supply had to be controlled. When we were finally able to play them, we learned that they were the equivalent of browser games.

There is nothing about the experience of using Home to suggest that you are actually moving through a single, contiguous environment. It is very clearly a handful of walled off zones, where you are confronted by incessant load screens in a desperate search for stimulation. From the moment you enter one of their ultrahygenic "amusement regions," it's clear that all life has been burned away. You get the sense that this is a place in which no interesting thing could ever happen.

There is already a growing school of Home apologetics, fostered by the same Order of Perpetual Masochists who lauded the rumble-free Sixaxis at launch and suggested, hilariously, that Lair and Heavenly Sword were videogames. They're under the impression that because something is free, this places it on some golden dais beyond censure. It's no virtue to give away something that no-one in their right mind would buy. They have no idea what this world is for, and that ambiguity infuses every simulated millimeter of it.

This is the terrible secret that roils beneath their false universe: it is nothing more than a cumbersome menu, a rampart over which you must hoist yourself to accomplish the most basic tasks.

(CW)TB out.
Old 12-12-08, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Liver&Onions
Did Sony think this though at all?
Home is mind-boggling in its pointlessness. I think Sony must have had a vision for Home in the beginning of development and either lost sight of that or realized that they couldn't deliver what they wanted to. Now you have a bunch of ugly avatars dancing in a mall where you can spend 50 cents for each new shirt that you want your ugly avatar to wear. Oh, and there are ads everywhere and arcade games you will never get a chance to play.

If this was supposed to be a killer app for them, Sony is boned.
Old 12-12-08, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Totally could care less about Home. I d/l it, jumped in and then thought about all the games I wasn't playing.
Old 12-12-08, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I haven't even been able to get back on since the open beta started. Not that I want to get in just to stand in line for boring games while someone dry humps me.
Old 12-12-08, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by darkside
Not that I want to get in just to stand in line for boring games while someone dry humps me.
Sounds like you have been to some state fairs in my area.
Old 12-12-08, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I haven't even been able to get back on since the open beta started. Not that I want to get in just to stand in line for boring games while someone dry humps me.
To be fair, the arcade games aren't all that bad. They just ... aren't worth the wait.
Old 12-12-08, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 220 Likes on 167 Posts
Thanks for the heads up on Home guys. Like everything in life, you get what you pay for. Just because it's free, doesn't make it better. That's why I don't mind paying 50 bucks a year for Xboxlive. I will gladly pay for a better online experience than the PS3's crappy service.

It's funny how all the Sony fanboys were shouting from the rooftips how the Home was going to be the death of MS. Sounds to me like one big clusterfuck.
Old 12-12-08, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by gryffinmaster
To be fair, the arcade games aren't all that bad. They just ... aren't worth the wait.
Agree. I enjoyed the arcade machines and even won a few free outfits while playing them. The bowling and pool are the ones I can't stand, but I won't stand in line for any of these. Home seems like nothing more than a griefers paradise and a place to go to be bombarded with advertising.
Old 12-12-08, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos
It's funny how all the Sony fanboys were shouting from the rooftips how the Home was going to be the death of MS. Sounds to me like one big clusterfuck.
Really? I don't even think Sony fanboys were that excited about home. Most people I heard or talked to were expecting it to be completely underwhelming.
Old 12-12-08, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Really? I don't even think Sony fanboys were that excited about home. Most people I heard or talked to were expecting it to be completely underwhelming.
That hasn't been my experience at all. But we'll see what they have to say now.
Old 12-12-08, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,322 Likes on 4,320 Posts
Originally Posted by chuckd21
People kept saying "****o!" over and over and it took me forever to figure out that the game was censoring the "hell" part of "hello".
I thought everyone was calling me a "fucko", which didn't make a lot of sense to me. This is much more polite, so there is the one positive I can take from this week's visit to Home.
Old 12-12-08, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
I think people have the wrong idea of what Home is, at the moment. Think of it as Facebook with avatars. It's meant to be a social experience. Just walk around and get to know some people. Ask them what kind of games they like to play, and if you have similar interests, join them in a game.

Say you both have Resistance 2, for example. Add each other as friends then jump on and play a few rounds of co-op or whatever. The arcade games and DLC are just time wasters, at the moment. Although, my friend and I were surprisingly able to get a bowling lane on the last night of the closed beta and met a couple of cool people playing with us.

I don't know what people were expecting at launch, but it will get better. Game launching should be cool. Getting a clan together in your clubhouse or home and planning strategies before you launch the game sounds pretty awesome. If the rumored media sharing comes, that will be nice as well. Imagine inviting some friends over to your home and watching some videos or listening to music from your hard drive.

Yes, this was hyped to death by Sony. No, it's still not ready for prime time. But all the hate for something that is still in Beta is something I just don't get. Give it some time to improve. I think we'll be surprised by some of the things Sony has planned. But, if you want to give up on it already, that's fine too. If fewer people get on it, I won't have to fight the crowds, heh.
Old 12-12-08, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by collven
I think people have the wrong idea of what Home is, at the moment. Think of it as Facebook with avatars. It's meant to be a social experience. Just walk around and get to know some people. Ask them what kind of games they like to play, and if you have similar interests, join them in a game.

Say you both have Resistance 2, for example. Add each other as friends then jump on and play a few rounds of co-op or whatever. The arcade games and DLC are just time wasters, at the moment. Although, my friend and I were surprisingly able to get a bowling lane on the last night of the closed beta and met a couple of cool people playing with us.

I don't know what people were expecting at launch, but it will get better. Game launching should be cool. Getting a clan together in your clubhouse or home and planning strategies before you launch the game sounds pretty awesome. If the rumored media sharing comes, that will be nice as well. Imagine inviting some friends over to your home and watching some videos or listening to music from your hard drive.

Yes, this was hyped to death by Sony. No, it's still not ready for prime time. But all the hate for something that is still in Beta is something I just don't get. Give it some time to improve. I think we'll be surprised by some of the things Sony has planned. But, if you want to give up on it already, that's fine too. If fewer people get on it, I won't have to fight the crowds, heh.
Why can't I just launch a game from the main menu? Why should I load up a game, to load my game? Clubhouses cost money, why pay to have people clan up when I can just get them together in so many other ways, to plan strategies? And why oh why would I sit in front of a TV to watch TV inside a TV?

Just playing devils advocate here, but I never saw a point in Home anyway.
Old 12-12-08, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by CKMorpheus
Why can't I just launch a game from the main menu? Why should I load up a game, to load my game? Clubhouses cost money, why pay to have people clan up when I can just get them together in so many other ways, to plan strategies? And why oh why would I sit in front of a TV to watch TV inside a TV?

Just playing devils advocate here, but I never saw a point in Home anyway.

You don't have to start a club. You can get together in your home and strategize there. They have said eventually you will even be able to look at maps before you launch so you can talk about who will cover what.

As for watching videos, if they are on your hard drive, there isn't much point. But if a friend has something you want to watch on his hard drive, you can go to his "house" and watch it there. I'm sure there will be a full screen option, similar to the videos that are already in home.
Old 12-12-08, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by CKMorpheus
That hasn't been my experience at all. But we'll see what they have to say now.
Taken from Gametrailers:

"I'm sorry but HOME is THE Muthafackin' shit!
Posted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:48 am
All these gaming sites that have been talking shit about HOME and tryin to compare it to what others are offering are either mind numbingly moronic or they're doing it for their "incentives" and if you actually believe the negative stuff they say about HOME then you are not only a sheep but an equally moronic one at that.

You are stupid to compare this application with anything the PS3's competitors are doing cause this thing is way beyond ANYTHING they have dreamed of bringing to the gaming community.

I just finally got on HOME 5 hrs ago and only just got off. I hooked up with a number of friends that I have not spoken to in months and it was all seemless and fun and all within 5mins of being in HOME.

Yes, Sony is the frikgen ultimate when it comes to gaming. To deny this means you've got to be a frikgen idiot with an IQ of fucking burnt toast."

Old 12-12-08, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by mhg83
Taken from Gametrailers:

"I'm sorry but HOME is THE Muthafackin' shit!
Posted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:48 am
All these gaming sites that have been talking shit about HOME and tryin to compare it to what others are offering are either mind numbingly moronic or they're doing it for their "incentives" and if you actually believe the negative stuff they say about HOME then you are not only a sheep but an equally moronic one at that.

You are stupid to compare this application with anything the PS3's competitors are doing cause this thing is way beyond ANYTHING they have dreamed of bringing to the gaming community.

I just finally got on HOME 5 hrs ago and only just got off. I hooked up with a number of friends that I have not spoken to in months and it was all seemless and fun and all within 5mins of being in HOME.

Yes, Sony is the frikgen ultimate when it comes to gaming. To deny this means you've got to be a frikgen idiot with an IQ of fucking burnt toast."

Old 12-13-08, 04:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was initially interested in Home when it was announced, but after logging into it twice, I doubt I'll be back, at least anytime soon. Facebook, etc. isn't really my thing, and I can't imagine I'll ever spent in money on virtual furniture or clothing so there's not much there for me.

My wife wanted to set up an avatar on her account, but after a couple of failed attempts to get Home to log in, she lost all interest in it.

Old 12-13-08, 06:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse
Home is the greatest thing ever.

The coolest thing I've ever seen.

Finally Sony will crush Microsoft and win the console wars.
HAHAHA!!!...oh geeze...
I think first and foremost, Sony needs to start working on these things called "games" before they even think about crushing Microsoft.
Old 12-13-08, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts
Home is what it is. It is not a "system killer" or the "ultimate application" but it does somewhat successfully give you an environment to meet new people as well as hang out with your online friends. I'm sure that they will be changing things as they continue to develop Home. I noticed that from the closed Beta to the now open Beta the central plaza is entirely different. I haven't been into the bowling alley yet to see if it is different. Sony does need to address the issue of being able to use the alleys, pool tables and video games without having to waste your virutal time to use them. The rest of the application is what I thought it would be. I do find it nice that you can walk close to conversations and when people are using their mics you can listen to and chat with them based on your proximity. We'll see how this shakes out as more people use the application and provide input on how it could be made better. Now, if they asked me to pay for this I would be disappointed but being that it is free I can't complain. Socom on the other hand has cost me money to sit around and wait for them to fix it. There was room to bitch and moan there.
Old 12-13-08, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

None of my friends really use the PS3 and I'm not that interested in meeting new 'gamer friends' online. Maybe this just isn't for me.

I watched my roommate play with this for about a half hour, and couldn't understand the point. It seems so lame.

I'll probably live without the download.

= J
Old 12-13-08, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This sounds so hilariously stupid that I must at least try it out.
Old 12-13-08, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I tried home out last night. It wasn't too bad. I can't see myself using this though. I didn't think the ads were as bad as many on this board indicated. The games were ok but nothing great. It's still in beta stage so it could get better. I did see Ocelot on there.
Old 12-13-08, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'm just hoping for the possibility of stocking my house with my own pool table and arcade games so I'll never have to leave home.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.