DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   PS3 Home Beta - now open (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/545554-ps3-home-beta-now-open.html)

RockyMtnBri 12-11-08 02:00 PM

PS3 Home Beta - now open

As of today, the beta for Home is now open:

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2008/...ches-tomorrow/

I was in the closed beta, did some messing around, but it seems a little thin. Hopefully more content will give me reason to go in more. Yesterday in the closed beta, some of the previously empty stores actually had wares you could buy for no cost, including a beach home! BTW, the servers are getting slammed and I was not able to log on today.

I'm hoping that one of the things hinted at last year will come to fruition - being able to watch movies with others through Home. I'd like to be able to have people over to my spaces or the theater, pop a disc in my PS3 or access HDD content, and be able to share it with others. Even if you could only do it with Columbia films, it'd be something different.

musick 12-11-08 02:03 PM

maybe as of today but not as of now

http://www.community.eu.playstation....cending&page=1

maingon 12-11-08 02:18 PM

They have alot of work to do in home , right now its not fun, the interface is lousy, the controls are slow and sluggish. camera doesnt feel natural. Nothing really too do. Feels like one big advertisement.

musick 12-11-08 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by maingon (Post 9126839)
Feels like one big advertisement.

mission accomplished

Canis Firebrand 12-11-08 02:25 PM

They have alot of work to do in home , right now its not fun, the interface is lousy, the controls are slow and sluggish. camera doesnt feel natural. Nothing really too do. Feels like one big advertisement.

But.. but.. according to everyone posting on the Sony forum, it is the best thing ever, leaves the 360 dashboard in the dust and is super awesome cool.

ChrisHicks 12-11-08 02:31 PM

I swear they redesigned the locations a bit unless my eyes are messing with me.

it's the external views that look different to me.

gryffinmaster 12-11-08 02:42 PM

Apparently, the PS3 Home forum is getting spammed with pranksters claiming that they've downloaded Home just to get everyone's underwear in a knot. :lol:

gryffinmaster 12-11-08 02:45 PM

Decided to log in to check it out. Looks like it's live -- downloading now. :up:

musick 12-11-08 02:48 PM

yep live now
77 MB

Groucho 12-11-08 02:52 PM

I gave this a shot. But things went bad when I went into the city and that fox Redd sold me a forged painting.

edstein 12-11-08 02:54 PM

Is this a system update or is it in the playstation store?

gryffinmaster 12-11-08 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by edstein (Post 9126947)
Is this a system update or is it in the playstation store?

Neither, actually. With your PS3 hooked online, the option just appears under the PSN option.

I don't know if I feel like dealing with this today. :lol: The servers are swamped.

Mok 12-11-08 03:13 PM

Yeah I'm digging the music in the Uncharted bar.

musick 12-11-08 03:24 PM

how the hell am I supposed to dance with all these network errors, damn you Sony, damn you

mhg83 12-11-08 03:25 PM

I think this mainly appeals to the teenage crowd. They cant buy a real house so all their friends can come hang at a virtual home instead.

musick 12-11-08 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by mhg83 (Post 9127020)
I think this mainly appeals to the teenage crowd. They cant buy a real house so all their friends can come hang at a virtual home instead.

not many adults can buy a home these days either

gryffinmaster 12-11-08 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by musick (Post 9127017)
how the hell am I supposed to dance with all these network errors

Yeah, the C-931 error is just about enough to kill the little bit of interest I had in Home today. :down:

Canis Firebrand 12-11-08 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by gryffinmaster (Post 9127047)
Yeah, the C-931 error is just about enough to kill the little bit of interest I had in Home today. :down:

Ditto!

Awesome job!

musick 12-11-08 04:53 PM

once again these major corportations continue to prove how inept they are
we can put a person on the moon but I can't log into Sony's Home program

how long before they are up on Capitol Hill asking for a bail out

Chew 12-11-08 06:19 PM

I was finally able to get in. Set up my avatar, my apartment, and downloaded all the various locations.

It needs a ton more content before it becomes more than a way to waste a few minutes.

Plus, that would help avoid having so many avatars look the same. :lol:

firteen88 12-11-08 07:39 PM

I just get a "network error - c-931" everytime I try to connect. WTF?? What a waste

tlwizard 12-11-08 07:41 PM

Anyone here that was already in the closed beta? I'm wondering if the free goodies for the closed beta are still available or if they disappeared. I thought the announcement said that tonight would be the last night to get them. I'm not with my PS3 at the moment so am unable to check.

maingon 12-11-08 08:05 PM

I got all the free stuff they were offering in the closed beta yesterday, not a whole lot of stuff some furniture etc.

I bet everyone is having fun waiting in line to play games in home huh?

cartman 12-11-08 08:18 PM

This is exactly my impression (except the bit about it being an ad) every time I have read about or seen screenshots from "Home" :lol:. I still just don't get the point of it :/.

tlwizard 12-11-08 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by TLwizard (Post 9127503)
Anyone here that was already in the closed beta? I'm wondering if the free goodies for the closed beta are still available or if they disappeared. I thought the announcement said that tonight would be the last night to get them. I'm not with my PS3 at the moment so am unable to check.

Just found out... if you didn't get the free stuff by yesterday, you can't get it anymore. Shame I missed out on the free version of the $5 summer house.