Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

EGM is near death.

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-08, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chuckd21
That and Star Control are the only reasons I still have my 3DO. Although Family Feud is fun to bust out for the unintentional hilarity.
Return Fire came out on the PS1 as well. I still have it.
Old 11-26-08, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Goldblum
Return Fire came out on the PS1 as well. I still have it.
Yeah but I don't think it was as good as the 3DO version... I thought it was gimped, especially in the music department.
Old 11-26-08, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Wow...you missed some real gems then regarding Trip and the 3DO:
http://www.atariarchives.org/cfn/09/03/08/0057.php

There was another article where he bashes every console...man wish I could track that down.
Hey, at least he was right about the CD-I.
Old 11-26-08, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by chuckd21
Yeah but I don't think it was as good as the 3DO version... I thought it was gimped, especially in the music department.
Whaaaat? I thought it was a direct port? I love the orchestral music in Return Fire. (Flight of the Bumblebees live on!) What music am I missing?
Old 11-26-08, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by bub2000
I picked up the odd EGM, but honestly, I haven't bought magazines on a regular basis since Next Gen, and UGP before that. and Edge is just too expensive over here.
I guess I'm the reason for EGM's downfall... why pay for months old news?
I forgot about Next Gen...man was that a good mag.
Old 11-26-08, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by Goldblum
Whaaaat? I thought it was a direct port? I love the orchestral music in Return Fire. (Flight of the Bumblebees live on!) What music am I missing?
It was primarily the same, but for some reason, it played a bit slower, if I'm remembering correctly...I wish I'd have never sold my PS1 version. I think I have Return Fire 2 sitting around in a box for the PC somewhere.
Old 11-26-08, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by lordzeppelin
I forgot about Next Gen...man was that a good mag.
Next Gen and GameFan were both excellent mags that should have lasted longer than they did. I still use the CD holder NextGen sent me lol.
Old 11-26-08, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

While I'm not the biggest fan (I think they've always been snide without being funny...bad combination), I do appreciate them being around, if only because the major video game journalism market is pretty small and I like all the different opinions that I can get. I do feel that the video game journalism industry seems much more corrupt than the music and film industries in that companies can buy positive press and spin easier.
Old 11-26-08, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,499 Posts
Originally Posted by kurupt
While I'm not the biggest fan (I think they've always been snide without being funny...bad combination), I do appreciate them being around, if only because the major video game journalism market is pretty small and I like all the different opinions that I can get. I do feel that the video game journalism industry seems much more corrupt than the music and film industries in that companies can buy positive press and spin easier.
I'm not sure exactly how corrupt the gaming mags and sources really are, but all the talk about it has really soured me on their reviews.

I look at something like Xbox Mag's exclusive review of Fallout 3 last issue, and all I see is hyperbole. The game is great, of course, but the review just feels like an ad. In fact, a lot of the bigger reviews for the bigger games feel like ads.
Old 11-26-08, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 218 Likes on 165 Posts
So if EGM bites the dust, what's left, Gamepro?
Old 11-26-08, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't forget Game Informer.
Old 11-26-08, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts
Bah that would suck if they are gone. I hate reading the internet for game news. I like reading EGM because I can get game news about stuff I'd not normally search for in the net. Was good crapper reading material.
Old 11-27-08, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Has anybody from 1UP or EGM made a statement about this yet?
Old 11-27-08, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Kicker_of_Elves
Don't forget Game Informer.
They are the number 1 games magazine in circulation because of their deal with GameStop.
Old 11-28-08, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by fujishig
I'm not sure exactly how corrupt the gaming mags and sources really are, but all the talk about it has really soured me on their reviews.

I look at something like Xbox Mag's exclusive review of Fallout 3 last issue, and all I see is hyperbole. The game is great, of course, but the review just feels like an ad. In fact, a lot of the bigger reviews for the bigger games feel like ads.
It seems this way to me too.
Old 12-01-08, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Trevor
According to my subscription label they have to stay in business until at least May of 2019.
That happened to me when Ultra Game Players got cancelled. They usually replace your subscription with a similar magazine published by the same company. If what happened to me is any indication, you can eagerly expect your next issue of Hunting and Fishing next month!
Old 12-01-08, 01:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wow, an 11 page article at GamePro.com about EGM dying? after all those years of poking fun at them...

I do remember those awesome 300-400 page issues. Those months were great.

Over the years though, their editorial quality took a steep dive in the late 90s. Their unabashed bias towards Sony and the Playstation, how deeply critical they were of the Saturn and Dreamcast, how lackadaisical they were with their review scores, and how few games they actually cover now has really signified their end was coming soon. Game informer does such a better job, with a format I can actually READ, and they actually cover so many more games.
Old 12-01-08, 03:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yeah EGM took a major dive in the editorial department IMO. When they decided not to review Endless Ocean for the Wii because they considered it a non-game, that was pretty much a slap to the face to every Wii owner. Every other gaming site/magazine reviewed the game. I guess EGM is just to "hardcore" for a game like Endless Ocean!

I for one won't be missing EGM when they finally get shut down.
Old 12-01-08, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Funny you mention Endless Ocean. That was the first thing I thought of when I originally read the thread. It sounds silly but it was a pretty dumb move on their part.
Old 12-01-08, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Yeah, editorial practices have always hurt EGM. I appreciate them not reviewing the "98 percent complete" or "import" copies like mags, but that delay in print just doesn't mesh well with gamers.
Old 12-01-08, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by Superboy
Their unabashed bias towards Sony and the Playstation, how deeply critical they were of the Saturn and Dreamcast, how lackadaisical they were with their review scores, and how few games they actually cover now has really signified their end was coming soon.
*shrugs* I thought EGM generally had some of the least biased reviews. I definitely remember their immaculate praise for Soul Calibur (DC). I didn't renew my subscription the past couple months as I'd hardly been reading them as I didn't have much time for games, but when I did, I always enjoyed their content. They'll be missed.
Old 12-02-08, 07:59 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts
Originally Posted by Krelyan
I didn't renew my subscription the past couple months
You know about the free magazine thread in hot deals here? No need to renew it or any magazine pretty much, we all had multiple years of it for free.
Old 12-02-08, 12:27 PM

So, has there been any other, independent confirmation of this, or is Gamepro blowing smoke? I haven't seen an official response from EGM...
Old 12-10-08, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Joystiq is reporting that UGO is looking to purchase 1up.com and gamevideos.com. Thus ending EGM.
Old 12-10-08, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Been some rough riding for the 1UP folks this past year, which is kind of a bummer to me.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.