Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

EGM is near death.

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-08, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
I hope this doesn't happen, I think the mag was just getting better and now it has to go? Sadness.
Old 11-25-08, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by tanman
Agreed. I hate digital subscriptions. Just too cumbersome. This is not good news at all. I really like reading these print gaming magazines.
Yep. You also have to figure with print people are actually going to read about more games. With online, you have to seek out the information leading to a person only seeking out what interests them. With print you can get exposed to a game that otherwise would fly under your radar.
Old 11-25-08, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
It'll be disappointing if it happens, but for me EGM has never been the same since they left Chicago (Lombard). Their layouts and exclusives have, since 1999, paled in comparison to G.I.. And their review philosophy, while respectable, didn't bode well with a target market that historically lacks patience.

But it is a shame, since James took over for Shoe a couple of months ago I've kinda thought the magazine had been getting better.
Old 11-25-08, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tonymontana313
Long live GamePro and their animated guy ratings!
Old 11-25-08, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by PerryD
I owned, and still own, every console
Do you still play with your FM Towns Marty or Neo-Geo CDZ?
Old 11-25-08, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I have found memories of titles like Total Eclipse, Return Fire, Shockwave, Twisted, among others.
Return Fire is one of my fave games EVER. If they were to revive that sucker for XBLA, WiiWare, and PSN, it would ROCK. That game is perfect for online...
Old 11-25-08, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by lordzeppelin
Return Fire is one of my fave games EVER. If they were to revive that sucker for XBLA, WiiWare, and PSN, it would ROCK. That game is perfect for online...
That and Star Control are the only reasons I still have my 3DO. Although Family Feud is fun to bust out for the unintentional hilarity.
Old 11-25-08, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,505 Posts
Originally Posted by The Bus
EGM didn't cover those either... no wonder they're struggling...
Old 11-25-08, 12:39 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Yep. You also have to figure with print people are actually going to read about more games. With online, you have to seek out the information leading to a person only seeking out what interests them. With print you can get exposed to a game that otherwise would fly under your radar.
Maybe the game companies should consider a bailout of EGM?

It's sad to see the era end, although I haven't bought EGM or any gaming mag since the 90s. It's just too hard to compete with the internet... especially in terms of video-based information and timeliness. I actually have the first issue, and almost every issue up until the SNES era (when I scaled back my gaming for awhile until the PS1 hit). EGM was heaven to me back in the early days. I loved the cheat codes, the honest reviews (Nintendo Power refused to badmouth anything in those days), and the 'insider' information... especially when they covered Japanese titles and you crossed your fingers hoping the game would make it over to the states. I never was a fan of Gamepro... all style, no substance.
Old 11-25-08, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by The Bus
Originally Posted by fujishig
EGM didn't cover those either... no wonder they're struggling...
Swear they had the reviews of at least or 2 FM Towns Marty games like Saturday Night Slammasters. I could be wrong but know I definitely read a review of it back in the day (could possibly have been Game Informer) but I really think EGM.
Old 11-25-08, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
I still miss Gamefan as well.
Old 11-25-08, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
That's my main thing. I know all there is to know about new releases I really want (Gears 2, DQ4, etc) but the wife and I catch wind of cool titles via the mags (like Boom Blox).

EGM was good up until the past year or so as they've started tinkering with the format (presumably to deal with ad sales problems). The mag this month was pathetically thin for such a big month.
Old 11-25-08, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by DthRdrX

A.) Got me hooked on Batman: TAS!
B.) Made me realize the future would be games and movies on discs of some sort.
Not to completely sidetrack this with 3DO, but I had the same reaction. I owned all three of the US models and picked up the movie adapter for the Goldstar because I liked the idea of movies on disc. I was definitely ready once DVD hit the market.

Back on topic, I just hope the death of EGM doesn't also end up being the death of 1UP.com. They have great podcasts, but there is big competition from IGN for content.
Old 11-25-08, 05:58 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
I actually boycotted EGM for a couple years around 1993-1995 when they didn't cover the 3DO console at all (I owned, and still own, every console, and the 3DO was lightyears better than the competition Genesis and SNES), and no previews of 3DO titles like Road Rash or Need for Speed, etc, when the other mags were covering them. I never seen such obvious bias in a magazine before like this, they would only mock the 3DO as a system with Fatty Bear games and such.
Wow...you missed some real gems then regarding Trip and the 3DO:
http://www.atariarchives.org/cfn/09/03/08/0057.php

There was another article where he bashes every console...man wish I could track that down.
Old 11-25-08, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by darkside
Back on topic, I just hope the death of EGM doesn't also end up being the death of 1UP.com. They have great podcasts, but there is big competition from IGN for content.
I dearly hope 1Up stays around. I used to pay to be an Insider on IGN but their articles and stuff went downhill so quickly i never went there anymore. Now i stick with 1Up, Crispy Gamer, and Gama Sutra.

1Up Yours is also my favorite gaming podcast.
Old 11-25-08, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Another one that enjoys EGM and will be sad if it goes, but I really don't want to lose the podcasts. My work week hasn't been the same since we lost Shawn Elliot and Jeff Green, really don't want to see 1upYours disappear
Old 11-25-08, 09:27 PM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts
I will continue to get paper based game magazines as long as they are available since I enjoy them on the crapper and/or as bedtime reading. I don't expect bleeding edge coverage due to magazine lead times, and I'm not sure exactly what their niche should be to survive. I'm mainly interested in the pretty pictures, so bigger sharper screenshots along with some developer interviews, maybe a walkthrough of an early part of the game.

Regarding my bringing up 3DO, I guess my main point wasn't so much the amount of coverage in EGM, was more of the mocking tone and coverage of only the little kids games, which to me appeared intentional to deceive their readers to what I believed was to make them feel better about their 16-bit purchase. Once I switched over to Gamefan (? not sure if that was the name), I got the full coverage of upcoming games with fantastic looking screenshots that I drooled over. And regarding my opinion of 3DO being "better" than Genesis and SNES, I'm solely talking about the pure technical abilities, not necessarily that Total Eclipse had "better" gameplay than Super Mario World or Sonic, just at the time mind-blowing graphics and sound.
Old 11-25-08, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
And regarding my opinion of 3DO being "better" than Genesis and SNES, I'm solely talking about the pure technical abilities, not necessarily that Total Eclipse had "better" gameplay than Super Mario World or Sonic, just at the time mind-blowing graphics and sound.
Fair enough. I loved it for this reason. I used to screw around with CPU Bach all the time and I loved the graphics during CD playback. Kind of the predecessor to what the 360 does today. I was also a fan of the Sega CD and early multimedia PC adventure games. I dug the technology and knew it would continue to grow into something big, but the 3DO was just ahead of its time and too expensive.

Back on topic again, I was reading up and it seems that 1UP.com is profitable. It was the magazines that weren't. When Ziff was trying to sell off the gaming division they had plenty of offers for the website, but no one wanted to pay for the magazine divisions that were money losers. Sad to see the mags die out, but this is the price for the internet and instant news.
Old 11-25-08, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I will continue to get paper based game magazines as long as they are available since I enjoy them on the crapper and/or as bedtime reading. I don't expect bleeding edge coverage due to magazine lead times, and I'm not sure exactly what their niche should be to survive. I'm mainly interested in the pretty pictures, so bigger sharper screenshots along with some developer interviews, maybe a walkthrough of an early part of the game.
I love magazines in general. I subscribe to like 10 magazines and pick up a couple more at the newsstand when i see them. I would be sad to see any of the gaming mags go but EGM was the best imo.
Old 11-25-08, 11:12 PM

I picked up the odd EGM, but honestly, I haven't bought magazines on a regular basis since Next Gen, and UGP before that. and Edge is just too expensive over here.
I guess I'm the reason for EGM's downfall... why pay for months old news?
Old 11-26-08, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by darkside
Back on topic again, I was reading up and it seems that 1UP.com is profitable. It was the magazines that weren't. When Ziff was trying to sell off the gaming division they had plenty of offers for the website, but no one wanted to pay for the magazine divisions that were money losers. Sad to see the mags die out, but this is the price for the internet and instant news.
Yeah but I bet it's profitable because most of the content was coming from employees of the magazine... meaning they aren't getting paid for also contributing to the website.

Ultimately I'm fine with the magazine going away if 1up.com gets to keep all the EGM employees.
Old 11-26-08, 07:36 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts
According to my subscription label they have to stay in business until at least May of 2019.
Old 11-26-08, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I get the mag for free, like many here, and it's good for the bathroom, but online sites really do make the magazines pretty pointless. I'm fine with EGM going away, as long as 1up.com stays around.

EGM used to be the bible back in the day for me back in middle school. I remember when we would pass around the latest issue to see the new screenshots of Street Fighter 2 characters, or try to memorize MK fatalities before the game came out. So even if EGM does go away, they'll always hold a special place in my gaming heart.
Old 11-26-08, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I wonder if 1Up.com will go to a subscription model like IGN.
Old 11-26-08, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts
This is my favorite of the video game magazines. Sad to see it go; like others have said, it's great bathroom material.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.