Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Is Buzz! Quiz TV any good?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-08, 07:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is Buzz! Quiz TV any good?

I was thinking of picking up Buzz! Quiz TV (playstation 3) for my wife and i to play since we both love trivia. I only have one controller though. Does the buzz pads work with one controller or do i need two. (I connect the pads to the controller?)

Are the questions hard or easy? I know you can download and play other people's questions so that alone seems really appealing.
Old 11-22-08, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The 4 buzzers that come with the game are wireless. A dongle plugs into a USB port on the PS3.

I like the game a lot, but its longevity is questionable. Questions DO eventually repeat, and there isn't much customization; I'd like to see more round types made available.

Some of the questions are hard, some aren't. YMMV. I rarely miss a question from any of the movie categories; and in fact, my breadth of knowledge is pretty strong, so I usually do fairly well. I mostly play the game with family, and I've only lost one game thus far (out of many). Online has been more challenging, but it employs different rounds, which makes for an inferior game.
Old 11-22-08, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
We love it! But there is so much room for improvement though. I'd love to be able to digitize our avatars using the camera. And Sofa vs. Sofa would be more fun if it used the camera. (it might, but our friends didn't have their camera connected when we tried)
Old 11-22-08, 02:44 PM

Have the game and it's a lot of fun to play with friends. However, after three rounds, we're always done simply because the multiplayer rounds never vary. It's always fastest finger, steal points, pie fight and guess the picture and pass the bomb and then the final countdown. If only they would mix it up it would stay a lot fresher.

There's also almost 3000 new questions available for download on the PSN. However, I'm waiting for them to bundle them together before spending $6/500. There are also the submitted myquizes which allow you to play quizzes that other people have created. Some are terrible, some are good.

The other big problem is that if you play over the internet, your ps3 can only be one character. So even if you have two people and two controllers, you both control the same person. I wish it was a lot like Mario Kart where you could have a guest or another profile play a competitive character.

But again, we've had a lot of fun with it at our apartment. Got it for $47 from newegg. I think it's worth a max of that... I'm glad I didn't spend $60 I'll say. However, if those repetition and multiplayer issues were fixed, the game would definitely be worth the $60.
Old 11-22-08, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by TLwizard
y. However, if those repetition and multiplayer issues were fixed, the game would definitely be worth the $60.
I'd like to see a more robust online mode, too. ALL THAT APPLY is such a waste of a round.
Old 11-22-08, 03:07 PM

I ended up getting it on my lunch break. I'll give it a shot. Be nice to finally have a game where my wife can join as she's not into videogaming too much.

I read that you can make up your own questions online. When you do, are the questions i make strictly public for the rest of the world to play or is there an option to keep them private for only my friends and i to see etc
Old 11-23-08, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 411 Likes on 309 Posts
My step-dad has it. It's alot of fun and they release new questions often in the PS store.
Old 11-23-08, 01:02 AM

How much are the questions from the PSN Store?
Old 11-23-08, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Rainet
I ended up getting it on my lunch break. I'll give it a shot. Be nice to finally have a game where my wife can join as she's not into videogaming too much.

I read that you can make up your own questions online. When you do, are the questions i make strictly public for the rest of the world to play or is there an option to keep them private for only my friends and i to see etc
You can set them for public or private. You go to a website to compose the quizzes, so thankfully you're not using a virtual keyboard to type them out.
Old 12-11-08, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 606 Likes on 437 Posts
i was thinking of picking this up.
apparently up to 8 can play but you need 4 more buzzers.

problem is i can't find any place that just sells buzzers.

i really need 4 more buzzers.
Old 01-21-09, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Re: Is Buzz! Quiz TV any good?

Originally Posted by whotony
i was thinking of picking this up.
apparently up to 8 can play but you need 4 more buzzers.

problem is i can't find any place that just sells buzzers.

i really need 4 more buzzers.

i am still trying to figure this out. we had 6 people at my house this week but only 4 could have buzzers.
Old 01-21-09, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by John Slider
How much are the questions from the PSN Store?
I think like $4.99 for the new question packs if I remember right.
Old 01-21-09, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by nickdawgy
I think like $4.99 for the new question packs if I remember right.
$5.99.

National Geographic is $7.99.
Old 01-21-09, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Damn, I was close. I wonder why the NG one is more? Are there more questions?
Old 06-01-09, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

anyone know if you can get a replacement dongle for this game? my wife was "cleaning up" and has no clue where she put it. This was 3 months ago. We keep thinking it will turn up but nothing.
Old 06-01-09, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I started playing it a couple of weeks ago when I had friends over. Having us all play for the first time together was fun.

Now that I have been playing pretty consistently for 2 weeks, I am banned from playing with my family or friends, because I almost never lose ... it is not fun for them. There are 2 parts to the strategy ... (1) knowing the answer and (2) hitting the correct button fastest. For new people, they may know the answer, but they have to look at the controller to figure out which button to push. I don't mind, because Multiplayer seems too long per game to me anyway.

So, I am precluded to playing Single player and online.

Single Player has gotten old very quickly, since I got the Gold Score trophy. I just got the Silver trophy for 20 Single player rounds. I'll likely kill myself before I can get the Gold Single Player trophy (50 single player rounds played).

Personally, I am liking Sofa vs Sofa the most ... for me, it is more challenging, as many seem to be closer to my skill level.

Originally Posted by awil1026
I'd like to see a more robust online mode, too. ALL THAT APPLY is such a waste of a round.
My issue with ALL THAT APPLY is that you can see everyone else's answers before the time runs out. So, now you have to enter your answers at the last second (or try to fake the other players out).

NOTE: Buzz! Quiz TV Bundle for the PS3 is currenlty $9.98 at Toys R Us. ... Singstar Vol 1 and Singstar Vol 2 Bundles are also $9.98. If you buy 2 $9.98 games, you get $5 off ... making the total just under $15.00. I bought a second Buzz set to get an additional 4 wireless buzzers, since the game can support 8 person multiplayer.

Last edited by flix1; 06-01-09 at 06:53 PM.
Old 05-19-10, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Anybody pick up Buzz: Quiz World? I've found it to be a more diverse game, not relying on pop culture topics for every round. The online play is pretty good now, you can have up to 8 players in each game (4 of which can be on your couch)

Anybody got any interest in setting up a DVDTalk game?
Old 05-19-10, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by sauce07
Anybody pick up Buzz: Quiz World? I've found it to be a more diverse game, not relying on pop culture topics for every round. The online play is pretty good now, you can have up to 8 players in each game (4 of which can be on your couch)

Anybody got any interest in setting up a DVDTalk game?
Yeah I like it better too. I would absolutely be up for an organized game. I usually only get to play this at holiday gatherings.
Old 05-19-10, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 606 Likes on 437 Posts

I don't have mine anymore, sold it.
Old 05-19-10, 01:37 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I liked that Quiz World bundle came with 4 more buzzers. So, now I have 8 buzzers. I have to use both of the dongles in the PS3, but this allows me to have 7 friends over and we can all play on the same system since Quiz World supports 8 players.
We all have a lot of fun with the game.
Old 05-19-10, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Vryce
I liked that Quiz World bundle came with 4 more buzzers. So, now I have 8 buzzers. I have to use both of the dongles in the PS3, but this allows me to have 7 friends over and we can all play on the same system since Quiz World supports 8 players.
We all have a lot of fun with the game.
I regret buying the individual game and not the set with 4 additional buzzers.

So far for the organized game we have
sauce07
Bunkaroo