Walmart PS3 deal

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-08, 06:01 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Walmart PS3 deal

In store 8 am Sat 8 Nov - 80 gig ps3 + $100 gift card for $399
Bottom line... $299 for the ps3.
I doubt you will see better anytime soon.

Oh yeah, ad said min 4 per store so if you want it don't hesitate.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/catal...00000006973390
Old 11-07-08, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You could sign up for a Sony Card and get $150 credit on your first purchase. Thus, it truly is $250 out of pocket...not $400.
Old 11-07-08, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Nevermind i found it.

Last edited by Kicker_of_Elves; 11-07-08 at 09:14 AM.
Old 11-07-08, 03:19 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Easy
In store 8 am Sat 8 Nov - 80 gig ps3 + $100 gift card for $399
I doubt you will see better anytime soon.

Oh yeah, ad said min 4 per store so if you want it don't hesitate.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/catal...00000006973390
You can't use the gift card on the ps3 purchase. The only way to get the ps3 for $299 is to put it on a walmart credit card and then use the gift card to make a payment when you statement comes.
Old 11-07-08, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by rdemond
You can't use the gift card on the ps3 purchase. The only way to get the ps3 for $299 is to put it on a walmart credit card and then use the gift card to make a payment when you statement comes.

I never said you could. In fact, I doubt it can be used the way you suggest. Take the gift card and buy food, gas, xmas gifts, whatever you need... and pocket the cash you would have spent on those items. Simple.
Old 11-08-08, 04:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I never said you could.
But you did:
In reality, you are getting $499 worth of merchandise for $399... not $399 for $299.
Old 11-08-08, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Gerry P.
But you did:In reality, you are getting $499 worth of merchandise for $399... not $399 for $299.
WTF? Are people really this dense?
As explained previously, the gift card can be used for the necessities of life. You are only out of pocket $299 for the ps3.

Anyway, I'm done with this thread. I thought I was doing people a favor and all I get is fucking flack. Fine. Find your own deals.
Old 11-08-08, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

This is the deal I did when I get the MGS4 bundle from Walmart. I think it's a great deal and even though I understand that I didn't leave the store with a PS3 for $100 cheaper, I believe in practicality that I essentially did.

What I think should be mentioned is that IF you are willing to take the credit hit and get the Sony card, then this is a super great deal. PS3 for $250 plus a $100GC to apply to videogames/accessories, etc. Now if you don't want to take the hit on your credit for the card, the $100GC is a great deal compared to the fact that all the other stores out there offer no such bonus.

So thank you OP, I have sent this deal to my buddy who has been looking for a good deal on a PS3.
Old 11-08-08, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Gerry P.
But you did:In reality, you are getting $499 worth of merchandise for $399... not $399 for $299.
You are paying $399 plus tax at Walmart so depending on your tax rate let us say one pays $428.00 after tax in essence you only paid $328.00 in the end because you can use the $100.00 gift card toward more christmas presents you were going to buy or food for home. Either way one does save money on this deal. Out of pocket is not $400 plus tax.....it is $300 plus tax.
Old 11-08-08, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

WTF? Are people really this dense?
As explained previously, the gift card can be used for the necessities of life. You are only out of pocket $299 for the ps3.

Anyway, I'm done with this thread. I thought I was doing people a favor and all I get is fucking flack. Fine. Find your own deals.
Unfortunately yes....some are very dense.
Old 11-09-08, 03:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

U.S. Teens Trail Peers Around World on Math-Science Test

By Maria Glod
Washington Post Staff Writer
Wednesday, December 5, 2007; Page A07

The disappointing performance of U.S. teenagers in math and science on an international exam, in scores released yesterday, has sparked calls for improvement in public schools to help the country keep pace in the global economy.

The scores from the 2006 Program for International Student Assessment showed that U.S. 15-year-olds trailed their peers from many industrialized countries. The average science score of U.S. students lagged behind those in 16 of 30 countries in the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development, a Paris-based group that represents the world's richest countries. The U.S. students were further behind in math, trailing counterparts in 23 countries.

"How are our children going to be able to compete with the children of the world? The answer is not well," said former Colorado governor Roy Romer, chairman of Strong American Schools, a nonpartisan group seeking to make education prominent in the 2008 presidential election.

The PISA test, given every three years, measures the ability of 15-year-olds to apply math and science knowledge in real-life contexts. About 400,000 students, including 5,600 in the United States, took the 2006 exam. There is also a reading portion, but results for U.S. students were thrown out because the tests were printed incorrectly.

Students in Finland received the top scores in science and math. Mexico was at the bottom.

The PISA results underscore concerns that too few U.S. students are prepared to become engineers, scientists and physicians, and that the country might lose ground to competitors. An expert panel appointed last year by President Bush is preparing to recommend ways to improve public school math instruction, with a focus on algebra.

Former West Virginia governor Bob Wise, president of the Alliance for Excellent Education, a group seeking to improve high schools, said the scores show a need for more training and support for math and science teachers. He also said the federal government should encourage states to agree on common education standards so that all students are working toward the same targets.

"This, to me, is the Olympics of academics," Wise said, "and we need to respond to it."

PISA, first administered in 2000, covers reading, math and science. But each time the test is given, it focuses in depth on one subject. Last year's exam spotlighted science, covering concepts in physics, chemistry, biology and earth and space science.

Mark S. Schneider, commissioner of the National Center for Education Statistics in the Education Department, said the exam isn't designed to measure a student's recall of facts. Instead, he said, it tests a student's ability to apply knowledge using "more sophisticated concepts and deeper reasoning skills."

On the science portion, U.S. students, most of them 10th-graders, received an average score of 489 on a 1,000-point scale, 11 points below the average of the 30 countries. Canada, Japan and Korea were among the countries in which students outperformed U.S. counterparts. U.S. students were on par with peers in eight countries and outperformed those from five others.

In math, only four countries had average scores lower than the United States. Students in 23 countries had a higher average score, and those in two countries did about the same as the Americans.

The ranking of U.S. students in math and science is about the same as it was in 2003.

Education Secretary Margaret Spellings said that the results were disappointing but that the National Math Advisory Panel and other initiatives are in motion to bolster math and science education. The ranking "speaks to what President Bush has long been advocating for: more rigor in our nation's high schools; additional resources for advanced courses to prepare students for college-level studies; and stronger math and science education," she said in a statement.
Old 11-09-08, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

?

Gerry P I don't get your last post.

You are getting $100 Walmart giftcard as part of the $399 deal. And while I agree you are spending $399 + tax, a $100 Walmart GC is as close to cash as you can get for a store GC, since most of us around here are a bit older and actually have to buy our own groceries, etc . So for those of us who have to spend money on items such as groceries, or gas which are a constant expense, then the $100 Walmart GC = $100 in cash we don't spend at Walmart.

In any case, on the almost 1 year old news story you posted, I love this part:

"There is also a reading portion, but results for U.S. students were thrown out because the tests were printed incorrectly."

Now, if you're giving a test on reading, shouldn't it have been reviewed, proofread, etc before administering it?

Last edited by sniper308; 11-09-08 at 08:53 AM.
Old 11-09-08, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

But the people who reviewed and proofread it were probably Americans who thought the errors were correct. It's a vicious circle.

And I gotta say, you guys picking on the OP for looking at it a different way look pretty foolish. There's more than one way of looking at it, and trying to say he's wrong and you're right is pretty ridiculous. The stupid thing would be to say that it's $299 for the PS3, and then later feel like you saved $100 when you spent the GC. That's the idiotic thing that happens on these forums all the time. It's one way or the other, not both.

(And before someone says that it was an "international" test from a Paris-based organization, keep in mind that a reading section on a test for Americans would have to be written in English, and to be valid, would have to be reviewed and proofread by native speakers from America--otherwise there would be all kinds of dialect inconsistencies that would skew the results.)

Last edited by Cheato; 11-09-08 at 09:08 AM.
Old 11-09-08, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts
I paid 600 bucks for each of my two PS3s and deals like this make me really jealous. I'm off to throw something (again).
Old 11-09-08, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
I think it's a good deal, though right, you're not actually saving money "on" the PS3 itself. Still, an instant 100$ rebate, in the form of a gift card to a store which carried just about everything and for pretty good prices, is quite a deal. Consider it 1.5-2.0 free games of your choice virtually with purchase--just turn back around and go back to the game section and pick them.

Gift cards generally cannot be used as charge card payments, so that probably wouldn't work.

I do *not* like when retailers do that, however..."Game on sale, 40$ (after 10.00 gift card, which will be mailed to you two months down the road.)"
Old 11-09-08, 11:19 AM
Banned

Let's see, PS3 for normal price with $100 worth of Games/Blu-Ray movies thrown in.

^ = Deal.

Now to consider if the gf has been good enough to deserve one for her house for christmas this year...
Old 11-10-08, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

For anyone who has an issue with getting a $100 gift card with this deal, I would happily take your GC off your hands. That will show Easy and his stupid posts!