Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Guitar Hero: World Tour - The One and Only Thread (Part 3)

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Guitar Hero: World Tour - The One and Only Thread (Part 3)

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-08, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Or Wal-mart and Activision, etc.
Old 10-31-08, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok so I went to KFC last night to get GH:Meal Edition.

They dont sell the cups seperately so you have to get the meal deal. I didnt win. The web code gave me nothing either. Ah well.

I got the Judy Nails cup. Didnt put the code in yet so not sure what it will do.

The meal box itself has a $5 coupon on it for the PS3 and 360 (no Wii?...whatevah) versions only good until next year sometime.
Old 10-31-08, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by Kelkee
The meal box itself has a $5 coupon on it for the PS3 and 360 (no Wii?...whatevah) versions only good until next year sometime.
Hmmm... GH on Wii is $50 so even without a coupon you are paying less than the PS3 & 360 owners.
Old 10-31-08, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Hmmm... GH on Wii is $50 so even without a coupon you are paying less than the PS3 & 360 owners.
Since I already purchased WT its not a big deal. Its just odd that only 2 systems are covered.

But this coupon may come in handy once I get a 360 and get rid of the Wii version.
Old 10-31-08, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

On the topic of the KFC thing:

http://kotaku.com/5070177/guitar-her...ng-impressions

Old 10-31-08, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,200 Likes on 4,227 Posts
Originally Posted by UncleGramps
That is very funny. And yes, it does look gross.
Old 10-31-08, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

An obvious attempt at humor that fails miserably. I find it ironic that the reviewer thinks the chicken strips were the best thing but calls the Snacker disgusting. What is a Snacker? A chicken strip on a bun.

Maybe quality standards are just higher around here since I'm in, you know, Kentucky, but I eat there probably once a month and never have a bad meal. Oh, and Buffalo Snackers are the bomb.
Old 10-31-08, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
I love the new guitar!

I got ranked 14 on my Livin' on a Prayer sightread.

Also, I know I'm in the minority here, but I prefer the Bubble Bobble notes as cartman calls them.

And yeah, I don't like the interface/menus. At all.

I also messed around with the music editor - it's deeper than I thought it would be - but how the heck to I record chords?

Last edited by rabbit77; 10-31-08 at 09:02 PM.
Old 10-31-08, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

An obvious attempt at humor that fails miserably. I find it ironic that the reviewer thinks the chicken strips were the best thing but calls the Snacker disgusting. What is a Snacker? A chicken strip on a bun.
To be fair, the reviewer said the Snacker "features a vile khaki-colored sauce with black flakes we assumed to be pepper," which to me sounds a lot like the "gravy" they put on the mashed potatoes. And he did also describe the chicken strips as "leathery." Regardless, you couldn't pay me to eat at KFC, so kudos to the reviewer for making it as far as he did (especially since it was a 1200+ Calorie meal)!
Old 10-31-08, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ok. I picked this up on launch day and now have had 3 sessions with it.

I don't like it as much as the previous versions.

here are my issues :

1.) I don't like that in solo career mode it isn't seperated by the difficulty. I am not an expert so I usually go back and forth between difficulties. With my son we like to get 100% on all the sings in easy and medium, 5 stars on each song, etc. etc. That is not as easy to see in this version.

2.) Maybe it is me, but the guitar parts seem much easier and boring. A song like the Joker would have been 1st tier in earlier versions. Here it a couple of tiers in. By adding in the other instruments it has lost the "guitar hero" aspect of the game. The Linkin Park, Korn, etc. songs are just flat out boring. They aren't bad songs and I don't turn them off on the radio. But for guitar hero, boring. Maybe they are better on drums. Maybe I am just getting much better, but it seems to me that medium in this version is like easy in previous versions. or maybe the songs are just easier.

3.) I don't like that you have to play the "gigs" to unlock the songs. RB doesn't do that, and it is just annoying. I stopped playing tonight because I was looking at the next "gigs" i had to do and they were all like 3 and 4 songs grouped together that I had never heard before.
Old 10-31-08, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I knew they were going to turn down the difficulty factor so that they can make the game more inclusive, but the guitar hero aspect songs are there - I just did some faceoff which allows you to pick all the songs without having to unlock them, and...

BYOB rocks hard. Wow is that a fun chart. Oh and Mr Crowley's solos are as guitar hero-y as it gets.

Although I'm pissed that they took out the end solo in La Bamba. What's up with that?

But yeah, overall, it's not as insane as GH3.

tcoursen, do you play on Hard? Maybe it's time to bump up the difficulty if the charts on medium are too boring.

Agreed about the gigs aspect for solo career. Just give me a list and let me play through them tier by tier.

Last edited by rabbit77; 10-31-08 at 11:00 PM.
Old 10-31-08, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by rabbit77
tcoursen, do you play on Hard? Maybe it's time to bump up the difficulty if the charts on medium are too boring.
I'm relatively new to this. I got my xbox 3 months ago. I can play all the songs in GH II & III in hard. I am about 1/2 way through those songs in Expert. Haven't gotten stuck yet, just haven't had time to try more.

I pretty much just wanted to go through medium the first time just to unlock everything and check everything out and see what songs I liked and what songs I didn't like.

I haven't gotten to BYOB ( which I have never even heard on the radio ) or Mr. Crowley. When I got to the guitar dual with Zakk Wylde I was excited. I figured I would get to play that or Crazy Train after that dual, but had to suffer through his song. I thought that would be better, but that one didn't do anything for me. And the duals in this version are completely pointless. I didn't mind them in GH III and would much rather they have just kept them the same for this version.

Last edited by tcoursen; 10-31-08 at 11:43 PM.
Old 11-01-08, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I love the new guitar!

I got ranked 14 on my Livin' on a Prayer sightread.

Also, I know I'm in the minority here, but I prefer the Bubble Bobble notes as cartman calls them.

And yeah, I don't like the interface/menus. At all.

I also messed around with the music editor - it's deeper than I thought it would be - but how the heck to I record chords?
I'm ranked 3rd on some song (Vinternoll2 maybe?) that I'd never even heard before my sightread. It's all because I was decent at the "green sustain while you have to hit a bunch of other notes with your free hand" sections that were in it.

Bubble Bobble notes are the bomb. Decending bars are for Tetris.

I haven't played around with the music editor yet, but I did download a few songs. One was decent. The other was basically unplayable because there were too many notes too fast at the start.
Old 11-01-08, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by tcoursen
I'm relatively new to this. I got my xbox 3 months ago. I can play all the songs in GH II & III in hard. I am about 1/2 way through those songs in Expert. Haven't gotten stuck yet, just haven't had time to try more.

I pretty much just wanted to go through medium the first time just to unlock everything and check everything out and see what songs I liked and what songs I didn't like.

I haven't gotten to BYOB ( which I have never even heard on the radio ) or Mr. Crowley. When I got to the guitar dual with Zakk Wylde I was excited. I figured I would get to play that or Crazy Train after that dual, but had to suffer through his song. I thought that would be better, but that one didn't do anything for me. And the duals in this version are completely pointless. I didn't mind them in GH III and would much rather they have just kept them the same for this version.
The guitar career gets much better towards the end. A lot of really challenging songs, some of which are great fun to play. I don't even like Mr. Crowley but hot damn does that have some awesome solos.
Old 11-01-08, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh yeah. Satch Boogie's Solo F is friggin' hard. And my forearms hurt a lot. That is all.
Old 11-01-08, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 314 Likes on 215 Posts
Originally Posted by tcoursen
I didn't mind them in GH III and would much rather they have just kept them the same for this version.
I think you're in the minority on that. I love GHIII overall, but I hate the guitar battles. They are extremely obnoxious and not very fun. The best part about them is that you can "wuss out" and move on after failing a few times.
Old 11-01-08, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I like the idea with jamming back and forth with a guitar legend alternating sections of the song, but the Mario Kart pick-ups aspect sucks. So for guitar jam, for guitar battle.
Old 11-01-08, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I like the idea with jamming back and forth with a guitar legend alternating sections of the song, but the Mario Kart pick-ups aspect sucks. So for guitar jam, for guitar battle.
Yeah, while I still don't like the idea of boss battles, they made them work a lot better in WT. No silliness with the power up junk, just straight back and forth, and the tunes from both guys are really good. If you gotta keep them, this was the way to do it.
Old 11-01-08, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Okay, here's my first really major complaint about GH:WT. Online mode is completely idiotic. I go to play Pro-Face Off against some random person and it matches me up. Now, do we each pick a song? NOOOooooo. It's randomly decided that one person picks *a* song. There's no Best of 1/3/5/7 option like there was for GH3. After the first song is played you can decide to continue, or go back to the screen and choose a new song. In the two times I tried it the person who didn't get to pick the first time got to pick the second time, but the game acts like it's random, so who knows?

Anyway, I'm playing on Pro-Face Off Expert. My opponent is playing on medium. He picks BYOB and gets to spend the entire time playing easy quarter notes while I'm dealing with ridiculously fast rhythms. WTF is the point of online play if your opponent can play on any level with no warning? At least in GH3 you could see what they were going to choose. It's unbelievably dumb.
Old 11-01-08, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mad Dawg
Yeah, while I still don't like the idea of boss battles, they made them work a lot better in WT. No silliness with the power up junk, just straight back and forth, and the tunes from both guys are really good. If you gotta keep them, this was the way to do it.
Yeah, I have no problem with the implementation here.
Old 11-01-08, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Mad Dawg
So that's how it is in World Tour? Cool.
Old 11-01-08, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

mordred, I had the same experience in pro faceoff, the first song chooser was random, and then it alternated back and forth. But everyone I faced also did expert - so maybe there's a setting that can be changed?

someone already uploaded Pachlebel's Canon in D and it's pretty good, so I'm not in such hurry now to take a shot at it.
Old 11-01-08, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

mordred, I had the same experience in pro faceoff, the first song chooser was random, and then it alternated back and forth. But everyone I faced also did expert - so maybe there's a setting that can be changed?
I'm set to play on expert. That's the only setting I've found. The alternating wouldn't be that bad if it didn't take 45 seconds between songs to pick and then start the song.

My best on Satch Boogie is 74% I think. I'm trying to do it with tapping which seems to improve the amount of notes I hit, but makes it almost impossible to start star power. It also makes it very difficult to pick up the star powers in the middle of the run.
Old 11-01-08, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

someone already uploaded Pachlebel's Canon in D and it's pretty good, so I'm not in such hurry now to take a shot at it.
You may have just convinced me to go out and buy WT right now. *tries to find a video of it*
Old 11-01-08, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by cartman
You may have just convinced me to go out and buy WT right now. *tries to find a video of it*
Please post a link if you find it! I failed to do so.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.