Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Guitar Hero: World Tour - The One and Only Thread (Part 3)

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Guitar Hero: World Tour - The One and Only Thread (Part 3)

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-08, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pinata242
(with one notable exception )
That had better be a shot at Visions and not another needless Alabama Getaway blast.
Old 11-20-08, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Mad Dawg
That had better be a shot at Visions and not another needless Alabama Getaway blast.
It was, but I guess I need to amend my numbers. Thanks for reminding me
Old 11-20-08, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The problem I am seeing is that since sales is such a factor in a game's success that Neversoft just really doesnt see the real problems since they sell regardless.

And since they outsell RB by a clear majority the competition just isnt there to them.

With WT now released its time for Neversoft to stop riding the coattails of what HMX established and come up with their own refresh of the series. WT is not unique enough IMO. Its too much like GH:3 and not a clear spin off. Which is why I think people are 'meh' about it. Its just missing something to define itself as a unique title and since everyone has already played GH:3 to death this is just more of the same.
Old 11-20-08, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by pinata242
This is going to fall squarely under the "Opinion" folder so YMMV, but a big reason is the setlists.

The awesome songs that GH has blows away the best of RB2. However, having played through the career almost 5 times now (guitar, bass, drums, vocals, band) the shitty songs on GH are so much shittier than RB2...
Substitute GHIII (haven't played RB yet), and this mirrors my opinions exactly. It's so bad that my g/f and I haven't even tried playing through the game. On the first night we had it, we just used the Gamestop unlock code to free up all of the songs on Quickplay. We still play GHIII more than IV, which is a major disappointment. At least the new guitar is nice (despite the fact that it may not work in Wii RB).
Old 11-20-08, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Does anyone know if RB2 has been patched to allow the PS3 GH:WT drums to work with it yet?
Old 11-20-08, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by UncleGramps
I don't particularly care who sold more copies. It's clear that both brands are really strong right now. World Tour is selling really well, and the Rock Band guys just got a huge bonus for their sales, so it's all good. What I'm really interested in seeing is what the DLC content and sales are like on both platforms a year from now. I have to imagine that the DLC is where these games really rake in the profits.

As for the lack of discussion, I haven't touched GH:WT lately and don't have much desire to. I think I'm in the same camp as pinata. I will play a little more and then probably sell it. It's not a bad game, but it just doesn't have the same spark of fun that RB has for me. It's hard to put my finger on, but GH:WT just seems to be missing something.
I couldnt agree more.... It doesnt have the one thing that really makes it awesome.... It does have some amazing songs, but 7 or 8 amazing songs just cant save teh game... Viva La Rock Band (even with its less amazing songs, but better overall package)..
Old 11-20-08, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by cck
Doesn't that stand to reason? You can't buy what doesn't exist.
Sure, but one could easily make a reasonable assumption that even after the game is released for the other platforms, the numbers will still be heavily slanted toward the 360, with the Wii in 2nd place and the PS3 behind that-just like has been the case.
Old 11-20-08, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

are bad drum kits still being shipped? or has the problem, for the most part, been fixed?
Old 11-21-08, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

So I was curious how long it would take to get $1M in career earnings while doing nothing.

I've got a test tone program running into the mic for a guaranteed 100% on expert vocals on No Sleep Till Brooklyn. That gets me $760 every round.

I from start-start of a run as it takes 5:10-5:15 and this is after I installed the thing to the HDD to minimize the loading portions. Plus you can't do anything to automate it because you have to push start to start the gig in between 4 or 5 pushes of the A button AND you can only do the song once per gig, no 6 quick rounds of the same song

So after completing all 5 career paths and a few one-offs for songs, I have about $120k. Meaning I have roughly $880k to go

$880,000 / 760$/run = 1158 runs * 315 seconds/run = 364,770 seconds / 86,400 seconds/day = 4.22 days.

4.22 days of constant play with manual button presses every 5 minutes...

For 30 gamerpoints. Nice one, Neversoft. Next time try to make the game fun.

Last edited by pinata242; 11-21-08 at 09:01 AM.
Old 11-21-08, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Man, that takes some serious gamerscore whoring to consider doing.
Old 11-21-08, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 915 Likes on 650 Posts
Unless you enjoy the game, in which case you could probably earn it legitimately in a reasonable amount of time.
Old 11-21-08, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm not sure if you can get better payouts that 100% on expert, regardless of instrument. You can do shorter songs, sure, but then you're more involved. Along with the 250,000 notes hit in GH3, they're just trying to extend the amount of time you play - or rewarding you for playing it a lot. A whole hell of a lot.

If you could start new bands and get the gig/sponsorship bonuses again, you'd have something.
Old 11-21-08, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Comparing the setlists of RB2 vs. GHWT, it's clear that GHWT spent their licensing budget on some 'big names' and then the rest is stuff they could get free/cheap. RB2 is more balanced in that regard. Both are valid approaches I suppose, but I'd rather have the shovelware be an optional 20-pack ala RB than force fed on the disc.
Old 11-21-08, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by porieux
Comparing the setlists of RB2 vs. GHWT, it's clear that GHWT spent their licensing budget on some 'big names' and then the rest is stuff they could get free/cheap. RB2 is more balanced in that regard. Both are valid approaches I suppose, but I'd rather have the shovelware be an optional 20-pack ala RB than force fed on the disc.
IMO, the lower tier stuff is much better on GH than RB. New Kid in School, Bikini Kill, Visions, etc... make me want to bang my head against the wall. There were much fewer songs like that on the GH setlist.
Old 11-21-08, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Well everybody has their own opinion to quote JA, though I might question describing Visions as 'lower tier'. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if there is someone out there who likes the 20 free DLC better than what is on the RB disc. Regardless, licensing costs and such don't really have much to do with our individual tastes.
Old 11-21-08, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by porieux
Well everybody has their own opinion to quote JA, though I might question describing Visions as 'lower tier'. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if there is someone out there who likes the 20 free DLC better than what is on the RB disc. Regardless, licensing costs and such don't really have much to do with our individual tastes.
I meant lower tier in regards to music filler, not difficulty. RB made an overly conscious effort to have more "girl vocal" music and I think they struck out badly in their choices.

Regardless, one amazing game and one very good game for us to have access to.
Old 11-21-08, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

As others have said it all lies in individual taste. I absolutely love singing the Bikini Kill song (although i have always been a fan of them so that helps) and thought it was a great choice for some girl fronted vocals.

Or should i say grrrl fronted?
Old 11-23-08, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/50SEmXDh6Bw&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/50SEmXDh6Bw&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/11/22/gu...f-personality/

If you needed further proof that we're quickly approaching the day when robots will outperform humans in all our endeavors, you may want to turn your attention to a tech demo for the Guitar Hero-playing "Cythbot", which we've posted after the jump. Using a light-measuring camera and six pneumatic "fingers", the Cythbot can strum its way through Guitar Hero's more difficult songs with terrifying accuracy -- check out the Expert run through Living Color's "Cult of Personality" in the embedded video.
http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/2008/1...-hero-rob.html

So far the Cythbot, which can play both in solo and compete mode, has been able to hit pretty high levels of accuracy of up to 98 percent, says Long, though typically it is in the 75 percent to the 80 percent range. "The reason we can't get to 100 percent is that the pneumatics are not fast enough on certain notes," says Long.

Compare that to one of the best Guitar Hero players in the world, who has a 97 percent accuracy level.

That makes the Cythbot the Deep Blue of Guitar Hero — the ultimate system to beat. Deep Blue, a supercomputer from IBM, played the memorable 1997 chess match against then-world champion Garry Kasparov.

Last edited by DGibFen; 11-23-08 at 08:17 AM.
Old 11-23-08, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I always suspected as much but now it's confirmed, Rabbit77 is an alien and can beat a robot guitar players.
Old 11-23-08, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Home of the 2009 Stanley Cup & Vince Lombardi trophy!!!
Cool, but what a waste of time, money, and technology.
Old 11-23-08, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by dvdsteve2000
Cool, but what a waste of time, money, and technology.
The same argument could be made for video games in general, you know.
Old 11-24-08, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by FatTony
The same argument could be made for video games in general, you know.
Nah, the game industry makes too much money for it to be considered a waste in that regard. One could argue that they wasted their efforts and research money building that robot.
Old 11-24-08, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by shumway
Nah, the game industry makes too much money for it to be considered a waste in that regard. One could argue that they wasted their efforts and research money building that robot.
Just so you don't think I'm pulling stuff out of my ass, I've played against "CythBot" (and beat it) plus talked to the new hire from Cyth (I don't think he was an intern) who created the demo on his own. It was a 3 week project that they put together for the annual trade show that my company throws.

The tradeshow has NOTHING to do with video games. It has a lot to do with industrial automation, test, vision and control. All of which is pretty reasonably displayed in the demo. In fact, Cyth could be considered engineering consultants in that given a test/measurement problem they'll come in and design a solution for it. For people in the industry, such as myself, it's a fun and interesting way for them to display their products and talk about the way they design solutions. It probably cost the company $20k tops but brings a lot of people over to their booth and has the potential to generate millions in sales.

CythBot was one of two guitar playing robots at the tradeshow, the second was a senior design project by a team from A&M. Unfortunately their solution wasn't nearly as solid, had trouble with worn actuators, utilized the actual video signal instead of using a camera to sample it like Cyth did (which created unnecessary problems) and took far longer to develop. I was greatly impressed with what the one guy at Cyth put together. Especially cool was the actuator which worked the whammy bar on held notes.
Old 11-24-08, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Hey Mordred, you were supposed to post pics of you slaying that robot - you still got 'em?
Old 11-24-08, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by rabbit77
Hey Mordred, you were supposed to post pics of you slaying that robot - you still got 'em?
I didn't take any pics. There was a guy who photographed me playing the crappier A&M bot, but I never saw them posted anywhere unfortunately.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.