Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Rock Band: Official Thread of Everyone is Rocking now (sorry, Wii)

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Rock Band: Official Thread of Everyone is Rocking now (sorry, Wii)

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-08, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by aktick
All I know is any thunder they could have stolen from Activision with this big announcement of 20 free songs was flushed down the toilet.
I do agree with that, but then again Harmonix has never that great at the whole marketing thing.
Old 10-22-08, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by Shagrath
Nope. Never heard of most of those either. I know Orgy, Cold, and was actually at the video shoot for the Nonpoint track.

You have to understand that I (like a great number of people out there) never listen to the radio at all. With portable devices and 1/8" jacks on most car decks now, we have the freedom to only listen to what we want to listen to.
Fair enough, but save for Spiderbait(you've never heard Black Betty? ), I believe all the ones I listed are at least six years old(2000-2002 era, IIRC), long before the iPod carjacks were standard.

Originally Posted by chuckd21
Okay, say that can only be deleted all or nothing. Then say you wind up liking 11 of the 20 songs. Is it still not worth the free download?
Like I said, I'll listen to them today, but that sounds like a high estimate to me. I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

Last edited by Michael Corvin; 10-22-08 at 08:24 AM.
Old 10-22-08, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Fair enough, but save for Spiderbait(you've never heard Black Betty? ), I believe all the ones I listed are at least six years old, long before the iPod carjacks were standard.
Sure, but certainly not long before AUXIN was standard on car head units. Hell, I've used an aux input to hook up an mp3 player to my car for 8+ years.
Old 10-22-08, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

So you honestly haven't listened to the radio in 8 years? Honestly. In the past few years it gradually gets less and less for me, but eight years ago when the first iPod wasn't even out yet(and yes I'm aware there were other players)? I know Napster was at its peak in 2000 but it still sounds like a stretch to me. No offense of course, just an opinion.

I completely disagree with you here. If they had listed what the 20 free songs were on the registration site, then we just would have had the bitching a few weeks earlier. They stated that these were going to be lesser-known/up and coming bands, and you (and others) took that to mean something completely different than what it was.
I dunno. Kinda hard to say. I think there would have far less backlash at least. The buildup is what killed it. If they hadn't announced it at E3 and just let people find it in the book on release day with the tracks listed, it would have been a totally different reaction.

Last edited by Michael Corvin; 10-22-08 at 08:31 AM.
Old 10-22-08, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Fair enough, but save for Spiderbait(you've never heard Black Betty? ), I believe all the ones I listed are at least six years old(2000-2002 era, IIRC), long before the iPod carjacks were standard.
I've heard Black Betty, just not that version. Black Betty has been along a lot longer than that band, and I am familiar with the band that made it first popular (Ram Jam (1977)). It was originally from the early 30's, and has seen many interpretations.

I don't believe I've listened to more than a few hours of radio in the past 10 years (by my choice). Obviously if I'm in a car with someone else, and they've got the radio on, there's nothing I can do. But I've had an mp3-capable deck in my car since 2001, and before that, would just grab a CD off the shelf (was at about 1200 or so back then).
Old 10-22-08, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
to BTBAM and Underoath.

That said the thought of Christian Hardcore (Underoath & As I Lay Dying) still makes me laugh.
Old 10-22-08, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
So technically, the first Beatles song goes to Rock Band (Endeverafter - "I Wanna Be Your Man").
Old 10-22-08, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Outside of NPR i haven't listened to the radio in easily a decade. I have always had a CD player in my car or i would even wear headphones when driving rather than listen to music radio.
Old 10-22-08, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I've heard Black Betty, just not that version. Black Betty has been along a lot longer than that band, and I am familiar with the band that made it first popular (Ram Jam (1977)). It was originally from the early 30's, and has seen many interpretations.
I'm not a total music noob. I'm well aware of Ram Jam's version, I just dropped in the Spiderbait one because it fit with the era I was going for.

I still think your collective memories are fuzzy on your timelines. I had a deck with a MD player around '98, and the first Rio was about that time as well, but the first Rio (late 1998) only had 32MB of memory. Like I previously stated, even the first iPod (5GB) was still a year away from release in 2000. Either route, IMO, is hardly enough memory to store a collection of music and forgo radio altogether. Even with a 100 disc CD wallet, it seems out of my mind that people haven't listed to the radio at all in 10 years. The past 5 years I can buy. It's the 1998 that I'm not buying. I can't seem to pull up a year where the first head unit with MP3 playback appeared.

Last edited by Michael Corvin; 10-22-08 at 08:47 AM.
Old 10-22-08, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by xmiyux
Outside of NPR i haven't listened to the radio in easily a decade. I have always had a CD player in my car or i would even wear headphones when driving rather than listen to music radio.
Where do you live so I know not to drive around there.
Old 10-22-08, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Originally Posted by xmiyux
i have never listened to PotUSA outside of Lump and whatever the other radio hit was in the 90s (Peaches?). Does all their stuff generally sound like those songs?
Of the three songs coming on 11/4, "Feather Pluck'n'" comes the closest. "Dune Buggy" is also off their first album, but it's slower and breezier...would have been pretty far down the list for songs of theirs I'd wanna play on Rock Band. ("We Are Not Going to Make It" -- even though it's a cover -- would be at the top of my list off their first album.)

"Ladybug" is newer. I like the song, but it's not really that rockin'.

Either route, IMO, is hardly enough memory to store a collection of music and forgo radio altogether.
I flip around the dial periodically, but I borderline-never find anything in my area worth listening to. Awful stations, awful DJs, awful music. I dislike most of the songs you linked to in your earlier post, so it could just be that we have very different tastes.

I think I can safely say I haven't used the radio as a resource to discover music since I was doing the whole college radio thing almost ten years ago. For the better part of the last decade, I'd just grab a CD or two whenever I'd get in the car. Even before the iPod and the like, I wouldn't want to dig through a sleeve of 100 CDs while driving.
Old 10-22-08, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Where do you live so I know not to drive around there.
It was high school in the 90s. We were all selfish punks who thought ourselves indestructible.
Old 10-22-08, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
Of the three songs coming on 11/4, "Feather Pluck'n'" comes the closest. "Dune Buggy" is also off their first album, but it's slower and breezier...would have been pretty far down the list for songs of theirs I'd wanna play on Rock Band. ("We Are Not Going to Make It" -- even though it's a cover -- would be at the top of my list.)

"Ladybug" is newer. I like the song, but it's not really that rockin'.
Wait, what? In all this reminiscing did I miss a PotUSA announcement?
Old 10-22-08, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
I listen to music loud enough in the car that I might as well be wearing headphones.

I don't listen to the radio at all, unless it's to listen to a baseball game. Occasionally the fiancee will have it on in the car, but that's rare. I have too much music to bother with commercials and not deciding on what I hear.

I usually hear new music through the MusicChoice channels on my cable I've actually found quite a bit of new artists that way.
Old 10-22-08, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
there's an old saying, "No one wants to listen to your CD collection."

That's the way I feel about this announcement and the bonus songs.
Old 10-22-08, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Wait, what? In all this reminiscing did I miss a PotUSA announcement?
Yeah, look like 20 posts back.
Old 10-22-08, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I still think your collective memories are fuzzy on your timelines. I had a deck with a MD player around '98, and the first Rio was about that time as well, but the first Rio (late 1998) only had 32MB of memory. Like I previously stated, even the first iPod (5GB) was still a year away from release in 2000. Either route, IMO, is hardly enough memory to store a collection of music and forgo radio altogether. Even with a 100 disc CD wallet, it seems out of my mind that people haven't listed to the radio at all in 10 years. The past 5 years I can buy. It's the 1998 that I'm not buying. I can't seem to pull up a year where the first head unit with MP3 playback appeared.
I owned the first Rio, and could fit about half an album on there at 128kB/sec. I never used it in my car, and had a CD deck. By '98, my CD library was probably sitting around 800-900. When I was working through high school, it wasn't unusual for me to average buying a new CD every day! That was more than enough to keep me busy aurally. With just a 100 CD wallet, I could probably last without listening to the radio for the rest of my life. With an 80gb Zune now, I can probably make it far into the afterlife as well without listening to tunes on the radio. I do have the radio going from time to time on the way to/from work, but it's always *always* talk radio.
Old 10-22-08, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Alright, with the PotUSA, Shaimus and HMX20 tracks announced(25 total) I only managed to find 15 songs from playlist, but here they be:

<embed style="width:435px; visibility:visible; height:270px;" allowScriptAccess="never" src="http://www.musicplaylist.net/mc/mp3player-othersite.swf?config=http://www.musicplaylist.net/mc/config/config_black_noautostart.xml&mywidth=435&myheight=270&playlist_url=http://www.musicplaylist.net/loadplaylist.php?playlist=49558939" menu="false" quality="high" width="435" height="270" name="mp3player" wmode="transparent" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" border="0"/>
Old 10-22-08, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I called PotUSA on Election day! Yay! Hopefully next week is Halloween-rific.

Regarding the free 20 - meh, but free.

They will be a total package and you will not be able to delete specific tracks unless HMX sends everyone 20 redemption codes, one for each song. The way XBL marketplace works is the code gets you a license - the license gets you the rights to d/l the file. One code = one file.
Old 10-22-08, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by pinata242
I called PotUSA on Election day! Yay! Hopefully next week is Halloween-rific.
Would be nice, but I don't have my hopes up. How about a surprise album, from Helloween for Halloween? Although I'd be satisfied with Ghostbuster by Ray Parker Jr, and Black #1 by Type O Negative.
Old 10-22-08, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Time Warp.
Old 10-22-08, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
Oh man if they did Type O I'd fall off my chair. Top picks from them I think would be great for RB (not necessarily my favorite tracks):

Black No. 1 (of course)
Summer Breeze
My Girlfriend's Girlfriend
Cinnamon Girl
Everything Dies
I Don't Wanna Be Me
I Like Girls
Angry Inch

Also, checked out the playlist (thanks MC). Going with the old saying, "If you don't have anything nice to say...", I'll just say I'd be interested in the BTBAM track.

Again, I'm not miffed about them anyway. I'm usually more disappointed when the weekly stuff isn't to my taste.

Last edited by bunkaroo; 10-22-08 at 09:34 AM.
Old 10-22-08, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Would be nice, but I don't have my hopes up. How about a surprise album, from Helloween for Halloween? Although I'd be satisfied with Ghostbuster by Ray Parker Jr, and Black #1 by Type O Negative.
Dream Warriors.
Old 10-22-08, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts
I may not even download these bonus 20. My goal in adding songs is to get things people will like to play at parties and I guarantee that nobody at my parties would eeeeeever choose one of these songs when they have so many others to play.

In fact, when hard drive space gets low, I'm probably going to delete RB1's "bonus songs" soo (except for Bang Camaro since I've had beers with those guys)
Old 10-22-08, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Dangit, Corvin, I saw your post before the announced list and thought you were putting videos of the 20 free songs. Imagine my disappointment .

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.