Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Rock Band: Official Thread of Everyone is Rocking now (sorry, Wii)

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Rock Band: Official Thread of Everyone is Rocking now (sorry, Wii)

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-08, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
More Shaimus.

Their song in the 1st Guitar Hero was so great I actually bought it on iTunes.
Old 10-21-08, 06:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Extremely poor showing by Harmonix. Promising 20 FREE songs and then delivering a bunch of no name stuff is technically not lying, but highly misleading nonetheless.
Old 10-21-08, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Originally Posted by porieux
Promising 20 FREE songs and then delivering a bunch of no name stuff is technically not lying, but highly misleading nonetheless.
I thought someone posted earlier that Harmonix has been saying for a while that these 20 songs would be by under-the-radar bands.

I'm familiar with a few of these bands, and hitting up YouTube, I really like some of these songs...enough to grab the CDs, and I guess that's the point.
Old 10-21-08, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Added youtube links (that I could find) to the free 20. It's over in the DLC post.
Old 10-21-08, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
I thought someone posted earlier that Harmonix has been saying for a while that these 20 songs would be by under-the-radar bands.

Yeah apparently in an obscure podcast somewhere there was a non-specific reference to something that might have inferred this. They sure didn't go out of their way to highlight the info, and the back of the box give no indication whatsoever. They could have easily made it clear, had they wanted to.
Old 10-21-08, 07:03 PM

After reading these descriptions on the RB.com forum, I'm going to take a pass on this unless you can pick and choose individual songs (highly unlikely IMO)

The 88 - "Sons and Daughters" Standard pop/rock fare. Meh.
Authority Zero - "No Regrets" An okay song, but sounds like a strumfest on guitar, which i'm not fond of to play in RB. Could be fun on drums, though. Meh.
Between the Buried and Me - "Prequel To The Sequel" The vocals won't be for everyone, but the instrumentals on this song are absolutely fantastic. One of my favorites. Good.
The Cab - "Bounce" Poppy boy band stuff. Ewww. Bad.
The Chevelles - "Get It On" Unremarkable middle of the road rock. Meh.
The Cocktail Slippers - "Give It To Me" Somehow reminds me of Veruca Salt. Solid 'chick rock'. Good.
Dealership - "Database Corrupted" Very nice and atmospheric. Good.
Endeverafter - "I Wanna Be Your Man" Classic power rock/metal that sounds like a ton of fun on all instruments. Good.
The Ghost Hounds - "Ashes To Fire" Has a cool bluesy sound. Good.
Hollywood Undead - "Young" Nad nu-metal/rap stuff. Blech. Bad.
Kutless - "The Feeling" Good, solid rock song. Meh.
The Len Price 3 - "If I Ain't Got You" Fun surf rock song. Good.
Lesley Roy - "I'm Gone, I'm Going" I feel too old for this Kelly Clarkson-esque song. However, it could turn out to be a s fun to play as Crushcrushcrush was, so I'll give it a 'meh'.
Opiate for the Masses - "Burn You Down" I like the opening to this song, reminds me of the Prodigy, and the rest of it sounds like a Linkin Park song. The opening lifts it from a 'meh' to a 'good'.
Semi-Precious Weapons - "Magnetic Baby" - Unremarkable song with a horrid vocalist. Bad.
Shaimus - "Like a Fool" Very fun, upbeat kind of song. Good.
Thenewno2" - Crazy Tuesday" I like the rest of the songs on their Myspace and Yomp, and this song doesn't disappoint either. Good.
Tickle Me Pink - "The Time Is Wrong" I like this song, the vocalist somehow reminds me of the singer of Snow Patrol. Good.
Underoath - "Desperate Times, Desperate Measures" More metal is never a bad thing in my book. Sounds very fun on drums and guitar. Good.
X Japan - "I.V." And in closing, a fantastic melodic metal song. I'll definitely have to give the rest of this band's songs a listen. Good.
I'm not so hurting for money or songs that I need to download a bunch of stuff I will hate just to get a couple of OK songs for free.
Old 10-21-08, 07:09 PM
Banned

I own 5000 CDs and I can't wait to play these.
Old 10-21-08, 07:23 PM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I own about 30 CDs and I'm very "meh" on them. Hopefully you'll be able to pick and choose.
Old 10-21-08, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
I'm somewhere in the middle with CDs. I'll download them because they're free (rather, already paid for), and who knows, I might discover something. But I've only heard of about three of those bands. But again, I don't keep up with 'new' music.
I would think you could at least go into Memory and delete specific tracks.
Old 10-21-08, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I can't say anything other than "I told you so" about them giving us 20 "bonus songs"
Old 10-21-08, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
Oh geez didn't mean to start a "I got this much stuff" trend. Just trying to show I'm not some dude sitting here with nothing but a bunch of mainstream records.

So here's a question: how do you delete a DLC song? Don't they all get stored in one large file? Is there a way to do it within the game?

I mean I can't do anything about some of the absolute terrible songs on the disc, but I'd like to think if I do try a DLC song and I don't like it, I'm stuck with it coming up in game again and again.

For the record, I'm not disappointed about the 20. Based on what I read here this is exactly what I was expecting. So no biggie.
Old 10-21-08, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,658 Likes on 1,034 Posts
Eh, no real interest in any of the free songs. I might grab them during the next drought but for now I've got plenty songs I actually know to play.
Old 10-21-08, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Bunkaroo, which system are you on? On the 360 just go into the system blade and go into your memory settings. Find Rock Band and Rock Band 2, you can find all the individual songs listed there that you can delete.

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
There's "under the radar" and then there is "my cousin's neighbor's brother's school teacher from podunk Nebraska's band knows a guy at Harmonix." I'd attempt to put together a playlist.com list but I doubt I'd even find a quarter of these.

I know free is free, but I haven't exhausted the RB2 setlist yet. No need to clutter up my random setlists with stuff I don't know yet. Not to mention GH:WT and Rock Band AC/DC will be taking up quite a bit of time that week as well. We really need that enable/disable song feature.

Are the free tracks good for a while?
Old 10-21-08, 07:36 PM

I just realized that I am very thankful these were a download I can easily avoid rather than being put on the disc where I would be forced to play them no matter what.

So for that, at least, I am thankful. I still think it's deceptive marketing though.
Old 10-21-08, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Ya, I don't want any of those, now that I've listened to a handful.
Old 10-21-08, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Bunkaroo, which system are you on? On the 360 just go into the system blade and go into your memory settings. Find Rock Band and Rock Band 2, you can find all the individual songs listed there that you can delete.
PS3 of course.
Old 10-21-08, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 109 Likes on 68 Posts
Anyone ever used the rock band drum silencers. I bought rock band 2 but got the rock band 1 drum set as i heard there wasnt that much diffrent. Looking for something to quiet them down but i dont want it to deter from the accuracy
Old 10-21-08, 07:55 PM

I put the Drum Silencers on my (SL) RB2 kit and they are working great.

As for RB1 kits, I would not use them if you have an EL model kit,
those tend to not be as sensitive and would probably drop notes.
Otherwise you should be OK and they will definitely quiet them down.
Old 10-21-08, 08:13 PM

OK here is how I imagine this going down (because my mind wants to rationalize a way to defend Harmonix LOL)

MTV (to Harmonix): OK here is a bunch of bands we want to promote on Rock Band 2. Put these in the game.

HMX: (thinking) damn we have worked really hard on the quality of this song list and now they want to %#*() it up.

HMX: (to MTV) erm OK sounds great. Tell you what, we have already been play balancing the game for a long time and don't really have time to start over with that, especially given the new earlier Xbox360 release. How about we do some kind of download promo for these songs.

MTV: hmm yeah that can work....we will just tell people they are getting 20 FREE songs and even more people will buy the game. Great idea!

HMX: errr...ok, can we at least tell people the list of songs upfront so they don't get the wrong idea?

MTV: no way that will minimize the marketing impact, just say they are FREE! Free is good right? FREEE!!!!!!!
Old 10-21-08, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Guys, they're bonus songs. Look at the bonus songs for Guitar Hero II and Rock Band. There's a few decent ones in there, but most are pretty awful. (There's no consensus on which is which, obviously). These 20 songs are the same thing.

Anyone that expected DLC-class bands (Nirvana, Offspring, Weezer) needs to get their head checked. Anyone that expected blockbusters (Led Zeppelin) needs to be institutionalized.
Old 10-21-08, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 109 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by porieux
I put the Drum Silencers on my (SL) RB2 kit and they are working great.

As for RB1 kits, I would not use them if you have an EL model kit,
those tend to not be as sensitive and would probably drop notes.
Otherwise you should be OK and they will definitely quiet them down.

Any recommedations to make it quieter. The sounds of the drums are killing me when im trying to play guitar
Old 10-21-08, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by The Bus

Anyone that expected DLC-class bands (Nirvana, Offspring, Weezer) needs to get their head checked. Anyone that expected blockbusters (Led Zeppelin) needs to be institutionalized.
Obviously not. I was thinking more along the lines of something like Theory of Deadman, Seether or any of a handful of the third generation of Nirvana/Pearl Jam knock-offs. Bands you've heard of that probably would go for $.99 cents if they were actual DLC.
Old 10-21-08, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Obviously not. I was thinking more along the lines of something like Theory of Deadman, Seether or any of a handful of the third generation of Nirvana/Pearl Jam knock-offs. Bands you've heard of that probably would go for $.99 cents if they were actual DLC.
Who?

Seriously. I've never heard of Theory of Deadman. I have, however, heard of Between the Buried and Me, Underoath, X Japan, Shaimus, and Authority Zero.

Listening to some of the tracks (the ones I could find on youtube), some of the others sound like they'll be pretty damn fun as well. Of course I wanted more of my favorite genres and bands, but they'll come eventually. I'm happy to get this set of 20 and will give them all a fair shot. I can see a couple being a real blast as a full band.
Old 10-21-08, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh my god - never came across "I Get By" in RB1 but it came up in RB2 on a mystery challenge. I would seriously bludgeon this band if I ever met them in person. Holy shit is that "song" awful.

I'll be losing fans every time I see that song come up again LOL.

On a more positive note, can't wait to get my non-single Nirvana tracks....Thursday.
Old 10-21-08, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

If it's from RB1 go in and delete it if you hate it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.