Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Gears of War 2 Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-08, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
Originally Posted by edstein
I must have restarted this level 20 times. You can pretty much take all of the missle hits from the first 2 waves. Its the third wave that is critical. It was pure luck taking out a couple of those missles to have just enough health left to take out the turret.

Yea, I had a bit of trouble on this one to.
Old 11-18-08, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can't believe I still haven't gotten through campaign yet. I'm down to like a few chapters. (Thanks Fallout 3 for completely draining any game time I have. )
Old 11-18-08, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by superfro
I can't believe I still haven't gotten through campaign yet. I'm down to like a few chapters. (Thanks Fallout 3 for completely draining any game time I have. )
I've only been playing Gears and I'm still only up to Act 5 Chapter 2.

I must have restarted this level 20 times. You can pretty much take all of the missle hits from the first 2 waves. Its the third wave that is critical. It was pure luck taking out a couple of those missles to have just enough health left to take out the turret.
Well, it must have been too late at night the other night when I tried it. I survived it on the first try last night. However it did take a few tries to take the arms down out in the open field.
Old 11-18-08, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I've only been playing Gears and I'm still only up to Act 5 Chapter 2.

Well, it must have been too late at night the other night when I tried it. I survived it on the first try last night. However it did take a few tries to take the arms down out in the open field.
Congrats, I think you'll fing it's all down hill from there.
Old 11-18-08, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,131 Posts
I must say that I'm really having fun GOW2 both offline and strangely enough online too. I really appreciate the training missions set up in the game.
Old 11-18-08, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've been playing this with language and gore filter on and I think it MAY be ok to play with my 10 year old afterall. I saw a curbstomp but nothing really happens. No heads explode. When someone tries to chainsaw another in half their body writhes during it but it stays solid and there is no blood or anything. I realize this is an inherently violent game but I think they have toned it down enough w/ those settings in place to give it a T and me to give it a shot w/ the 10 year old. Then again, I have only had enough play time to just now make it to the credits shot so there may be still a little extra to sway me. Anyone else w/ any further insight on this?
Old 11-18-08, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by shumway
I've been playing this with language and gore filter on and I think it MAY be ok to play with my 10 year old afterall. I saw a curbstomp but nothing really happens. No heads explode. When someone tries to chainsaw another in half their body writhes during it but it stays solid and there is no blood or anything. I realize this is an inherently violent game but I think they have toned it down enough w/ those settings in place to give it a T and me to give it a shot w/ the 10 year old. Then again, I have only had enough play time to just now make it to the credits shot so there may be still a little extra to sway me. Anyone else w/ any further insight on this?
Have you beaten the worm yet? It's pretty graphic.

Spoiler:
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/t-ZKZUStijI&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/t-ZKZUStijI&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Old 11-18-08, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm wondering how they will make the worm stage without blood. You are at times armpit deep in pools of blood and your entire character model is painted red with blood and gore. Not only that but it is actually part of the stage/story.

If they strip that out i will be very curious how it plays.
Old 11-18-08, 04:40 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
It would be awesome if turning those filters on gave everybody a nerf gun. I once had a Nerf FPS game that ran on the Unreal engine -- it was actually pretty fun.
Old 11-18-08, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Have you beaten the worm yet? It's pretty graphic.

Spoiler:
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/t-ZKZUStijI&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/t-ZKZUStijI&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
When I get there, I'll let you guys know what I end up with. Thanks for giving me a heads up. About how far in is this part?
Old 11-18-08, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by shumway
When I get there, I'll let you guys know what I end up with. Thanks for giving me a heads up. About how far in is this part?
Act II.
Old 11-18-08, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Groucho
It would be awesome if turning those filters on gave everybody a nerf gun. I once had a Nerf FPS game that ran on the Unreal engine -- it was actually pretty fun.
I always loved the paintball cheat in Goldeneye.
Old 11-19-08, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

In the "Unlockables" section, it indicates that you must complete the specific chapters from GOW1 to get Minh Kim and A. Carmine for use in GOW2 Multiplayer. I've already beaten these chapters from GOW1 and are noted in my list of Achievements. However, the box has not been checked-off in GOW2 and these two characters are not selectable.

Can anyone help out please?
Old 11-19-08, 02:13 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

I'm approximately half-way through the game. I love it thus far. The "Intestinal Fortitude" level is amazing.
Old 11-19-08, 05:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
Originally Posted by Centurion
In the "Unlockables" section, it indicates that you must complete the specific chapters from GOW1 to get Minh Kim and A. Carmine for use in GOW2 Multiplayer. I've already beaten these chapters from GOW1 and are noted in my list of Achievements. However, the box has not been checked-off in GOW2 and these two characters are not selectable.

Can anyone help out please?
Sounds a little weird - the very first time I put the disc of GoW2 in my machine, when it got to the main screen it told me I had unlocked these characters - never did anything. Do you have achievements for completing the chapters of GoW1 still saved on your machine? If they got erased or reset, it might not show up.
Old 11-19-08, 05:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Tuan Jim
Sounds a little weird - the very first time I put the disc of GoW2 in my machine, when it got to the main screen it told me I had unlocked these characters - never did anything. Do you have achievements for completing the chapters of GoW1 still saved on your machine? If they got erased or reset, it might not show up.
That is exactly what happened for me.
Old 11-19-08, 10:32 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Tuan Jim

same thing happened for me - it unlocked tons of guys the fist time I put the game in.
Old 11-19-08, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by CPA-ESQ.
same thing happened for me - it unlocked tons of guys the fist time I put the game in.
By tons i assume you mean three.
Old 11-19-08, 12:05 PM

Yeah, these were achievements I completed a long time ago (last year) and they're all in my harddrive.

Hmmm.....
Check in your GOW2 journal.
Are the boxes checked-off for Minh Kim, A. Carmine, and RAAM?

Thanks for the replies so far.

One thing that comes to mind...
I do not have my xbox 360 connected to the internet, thus I do not have a Live account right now. I use to, but that's a long story. I wonder if that has anything to do with it.
Old 11-19-08, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
After awhile if someone wants to go thru co-op I'm game. For now the Horde has been a blast and chore to go thru. I have to say the people at Epic has some wild imaginations. It's been a little of LOTR meets Journey To The Center Of The Earth

Kenny J
Old 11-20-08, 08:02 AM

im up to Act 4 on insane, i should be done with this by the end of the week. Then I am just going to play horde. you could get alot of kills there, plus it goes to the party like its 1999 achievement.
Old 11-20-08, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,131 Posts
Originally Posted by xmiyux
I'm wondering how they will make the worm stage without blood. You are at times armpit deep in pools of blood and your entire character model is painted red with blood and gore. Not only that but it is actually part of the stage/story.

I doubt they do this in GOW2 but I've seen a few games with the "gore off" feature where the game turns the Blood from Red to Green or Purple.

People seem to have less of an issue if the Blood looks non-human.
Old 11-20-08, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Humans and their anti-Klingon prejudice. :glare:
Old 11-20-08, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by xmiyux

They could do it like a sex scene in a movie, you play the chapter prior to entering the worm and cut straight to the cut scene after it's dead.
Old 11-20-08, 09:42 AM
Mok
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Played some Horde last night it was a blast. We got to wave 18. I was last man standing and everyone was yelling at me to hide, but I got taken out by a Boomer.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.