Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Halo 3: Recon

Old 10-09-08, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by slop101
What the fuck? That'd be more than a two year gap between 3 and 4 - the same as between Infinity Ward's CoD 2 & 4 (which included building a new engine for CoD4). What's so crazy about this line of thought?
All the rumors and "insider" talk has basically said that Halo 4 will be a launch title for whatever new console MSoft does for the next gen. Personally i imagine that will be the case because it would be a quick way to guarantee a good number of folks upgrade day one.

(even if all those launch units RRoD/Blue Screen or whatever happens next gen )
Old 10-09-08, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts
Originally Posted by xmiyux
All the rumors and "insider" talk has basically said that Halo 4 will be a launch title for whatever new console MSoft does for the next gen. Personally i imagine that will be the case because it would be a quick way to guarantee a good number of folks upgrade day one.

(even if all those launch units RRoD/Blue Screen or whatever happens next gen )

Exactly. It's a smart move on their part. Halo 4 at launch = RROD who?
Old 10-09-08, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts
I really hope they dont change this game into a tactical shooter. Leave halo like it is. I think it would be cool if they did an episodic game. Release an episode a month for ten dollars and make it six episodes leading up to the release of Halo 4.
Old 10-10-08, 12:12 PM

http://www.xbox360fanboy.com/2008/10...etails-emerge/

First Halo 3: Recon details emerge

Posted Oct 10th 2008 11:20AM by Richard Mitchell

Joystiq got a chance to sit down with Bungie's Brian Jarrard to discuss some of the details behind the upcoming Halo 3 experience, Recon. Many questions have been lobbed at the title since it was first officially revealed, and here, without further ado, are some of the answers (politely cribbed directly from Joystiq):

"It will be a standalone disc sold in stores in boxes next Fall. It's also going to include some multiplayer maps."

"It is a first-person shooter still ... It's not a squad-based shooter."

"As an ODST, compared to playing as in invulnerable Spartan, you are going to have to sort of pick and choose your encounters a little bit differently."

"It is going to very much feel like Halo. Full feature parity."

A few other details. Recon (as most have theorized) takes place directly after the Prophet of Regret jumped into slipspace during Halo 2, causing the destruction of New Mombasa. Players take the role of a single ODST -- not a full squad. Also, it would appear that -- as implied by the trailer above -- the Superintendent (the little green circle dude) will serve as Recon's "Cortana." When asked about this, Jarrard replied, "I think your observations seem pretty spot on. It certainly seems like there's a guiding hand of some sort there."

Concerning the size of the expansion and the price, Jarrard revealed that Recon isn't likely to be released as DLC and will be "value-oriented." Finally, the game has "full feature parity" with Halo 3, including Forge (with some new features) and multiplayer. So, in other words, we imagine dual-wielding and all that good stuff will still feel the same. Multiplayer, by the way, will still be standard Halo 3 multiplayer.

Finally, Recon is not the only project being worked on at Bungie, with Jarrard noting that it is being developed by a relatively small team of a "bunch of elders" that have had a hand in the series from the beginning. Head over to Joystiq for more details.
Chris
Old 10-10-08, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,748 Likes on 1,093 Posts
< Hmmm, a little less excited about "Recon" after reading that but whatever. I'm sure I'll pick it up eventually.
Old 10-10-08, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
http://www.destructoid.com/tgs-08-bu...t-107101.phtml
TGS 08: Bungie says Halo Recon is the last Halo project screenshot

In an interview with gamesindustry.biz, Bungie PR director Brian Jarrard said that Bungie’s newly announced expansion Halo 3 Recon could be the last Halo title the developer plans to make. Once finished, the development team for the title will disperse and move on to other unique titles.

From the interview:
But I think when this project wraps up in a couple of months that will be the time when that team moves on to something else - part of that team will move on to something else and part of them will probably be absorbed into one of the other projects that are already on the way.
Those “other projects” may not be Halo related. When asked if Recon would be a “final statement” for the trio of games currently being worked on, Jarrard said, “I think so” before talking about support with map packs on both Halo 3 and Halo 3 Recon.

This now begs the question of what else Bungie is working on. It sounds like they have either two new IPs in the pipeline, or another Halo title pretty close to being finished. I’m certainly excited to find out, how about you guys?
Old 10-10-08, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

From Xbox.com:

Game Details

This new chapter in the Halo universe includes the following:

* All-new campaign content: The Halo 3: Recon campaign is an intriguing side story that takes place during the terrifying events leading up to the Master Chief’s return to New Mombasa in Halo 3. Experience the fate of Earth from the brand-new perspective of a special forces ODST (Orbital Drop Shock Trooper), adding a unique outlook and new gameplay elements to the events that unfold in the trilogy’s finale. While the feel of this new chapter greatly resembles that of previous Halo experiences, Halo 3: Recon will require you to employ more elements of stealth and cunning than ever before.

* Prepare to drop: Known for their courage, valor and, at times, insanity, ODSTs are among the fiercest UNSC soldiers, priding themselves on being the first unit deployed into hostile situations. While not as large or supernaturally gifted as their Spartan comrades, these "Hell Jumpers" more than compensate with their ferocious attitudes and unwavering nerve.

* Expanded multiplayer collection:No Halo experience would be complete without groundbreaking multiplayer content, and Halo 3: Recon gives fans more of what they love. With exclusive new maps and expanded Forge options, Xbox LIVE® Gold members will find more multiplayer content than ever before with Halo 3: Recon.

* Ever-growing community options: Enjoy all the great Halo 3 technological innovations, including Saved Films, screenshots, Campaign Scoring, and four-player co-op. All of the new multiplayer maps fully support the Forge editor, offering endless gameplay customization possibilities.
Old 10-10-08, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

So what does ODST stand for anyway?
Old 10-10-08, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts
Show me some actual in-game footage, new game play mechanics, and a $30 price tag and I'll probably start to give a shit.

Otherwise it's more of the same, and thanks but no thanks.
Old 10-10-08, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

ODST (Orbital Drop Shock Trooper). Reading is fundamental.
Old 10-10-08, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

To be fair, he hadn't got that far yet. ODST was too daunting to continue.
Old 10-10-08, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by pinata242
To be fair, he hadn't got that far yet. ODST was too daunting to continue.
Two strikes today. Maybe I have a little ODST myself. To be fair, I read the first couple of lines and it looked like a similar article I read yesterday so I skipped it.
Old 10-10-08, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

You can't be worth anything to your employer today, Corvin. Go home.
Old 10-10-08, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by pinata242
You can't be worth anything to your employer today, Corvin. Go home.
I'm not. I took a two hour lunch today. It's too nice to be here sitting at a desk.
Old 10-10-08, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

In the books at least, the Helljumpers are awesome and would make a great storyline imo.
Old 10-13-08, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by almarsguides
I thought they wherent making anymore halos?
They are going to make a lot more Halos.
Old 10-13-08, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dvd182
They are going to make a lot more Halos.
don't bother with that guy. He was using up his posts so he could spam the forum.
Old 10-13-08, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Liver&Onions
don't bother with that guy. He was using up his posts so he could spam the forum.
We can use up posts!

Bad spammer.