Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

King Hippo is back! (i.e. New Punch-Out game for the Wii)

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

King Hippo is back! (i.e. New Punch-Out game for the Wii)

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-09, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: King Hippo is back! (i.e. New Punch-Out game for the Wii)

Originally Posted by taffer

A recorded version will be available tomorrow.

http://gamevideos.1up.com/video/id/24650

Last edited by musick; 05-14-09 at 02:08 AM.
Old 05-13-09, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Old 05-14-09, 03:57 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The final roster is confirmed:

Spoiler:

Minor Circuit:

Glass Joe
Von Kaiser
Disco Kid
King Hippo (Champ)

Major Circuit:

Piston Hondo
Bear Hugger
Great Tiger
Don Flamenco (Champ)

World Circuit:

Aran Ryan
Soda Popinski
Bald Bull
Super Macho Man (Champ)

Dream Fight:

Mr Sandman
Old 05-14-09, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Old 05-14-09, 09:05 AM

Received 898 Likes on 593 Posts

Originally Posted by taffer
Are you new to Punch Out?

Little Mac's jumpsuit is pink.
Nope... but it's been about 20 years since I played it last.
Old 05-14-09, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Goldberg74
Pink?

Jesus, I didn't see there was a whole other page before I posted that.
Old 05-14-09, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

As a kid, it always looked like The Statue Of Liberty was firing a gun during those training segments.
Old 05-14-09, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 690 Likes on 560 Posts

Holy Shit! This is my favorite game (the arcade version more) ever. I only have a PS2 and have only bought some of the Guitar Hero games in the last 3 years, but I might have to buy the Wii just for this game.
Old 05-14-09, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Old 05-15-09, 01:06 PM
Banned

Old 05-15-09, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just the classic controls for me...
Old 05-15-09, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 137 Posts

Cool - may actually get a work out playing with the board.
Old 05-15-09, 02:07 PM
Banned

I have an idea for another add-on accessory.

A device that you attach to your head and/or stomach so that whenever you get punched on screen you will actually feel the punch in real life. That would be like a rumble pack taken to the next level.
Old 05-15-09, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 520 Likes on 307 Posts

Also, some kind of glasses you wear, when you get punched in the head you "see stars" or your vision gets cloudy if you get cut. It messes up your vision and makes it harder to fight. That would be cool.
Old 05-15-09, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 520 Likes on 307 Posts

So how does ducking work? You press with both feet, when you're already standing on it? I'm a little confused how that's possible.
Old 05-15-09, 02:35 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by spainlinx0
So how does ducking work? You press with both feet, when you're already standing on it? I'm a little confused how that's possible.
You flex your knees and the board can tell based on how your center of gravity has shifted. Basically, in order to duck in the game, you duck in real life.

I've got a balance board and it works pretty well for things like this if the game is built correctly (Shaun White Snowboarding is a ton of fun on the balance board; Skate It is less so because they didn't properly account for the difference in controlling a skateboard via a joystick and buttons vs. controlling by shifting your weight).
Old 05-15-09, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, GameInformer gave it a 9/10:

http://www.gameinformer.com/Games/Re...1647.18078.htm

I’ve dreamed about a new Punch-Out ever since the Super Nintendo. The N64 and GameCube came and went without even a boxing-related rumor. Three consoles later, Nintendo finally caved and hired the development house from Mario Strikers to reinvent this beloved franchise. So many things could have gone horribly wrong, but the core single-player experience gets everything right.

Every boxer from the original Punch-Out on NES is here except Mike Tyson, and the traditional high punch, low punch, dodge, block, and duck moveset is still in place. As you progress through the roster of rivals, the difficulty ramps up at an even pace (okay, Glass Joe is still tremendously easy). You can cruise through the first few fights, but things start to get tricky in the Major Circuit. The good news is an effective practice mode allows you to take on a hologram version of the boxer currently giving you trouble. Determine the timing to halt Bald Bull’s charge, count how many uppercuts Popinski performs after you punch the soda bottle out of his hands, or learn how to dodge Macho Man’s hurricane punch without the threat of getting knocked out.

The pre-match cutscenes and comical fight animations add dimension to the boxers and manage to steer clear of stereotypes for the most part. You learn that Glass Joe likes to wear black turtlenecks out of the ring, Bear Hugger trains with real bears, and King Hippo’s diet consists mostly of meat and tropical fruit. After you defeat every opponent it gets even better: New cutscenes in the second career show how they’ve dealt with defeat at your hands and what they’re planning for revenge. These guys must have trained well, because the second career is incredibly difficult. Boxers have added defense skills, new attacks, new looks, and more strength to their punches. It’s almost like you’re fighting a new set of rivals.
Using the motion controls, players swing the remote and nunchuk to punch and use the analog stick for defensive maneuvers. These controls hold up during the first round of bouts, but you’re better off using the NES control scheme in the challenging second career. Balance board control is also an option, but it isn’t accurate enough for the careful timing required in Punch-Out. Sometimes I would lean right and Mac would dodge left. You just can’t risk that kind of imprecision in a fight.

At any time you can schedule an exhibition fight with any previously defeated character to attempt three achievement-style challenges. I loved trying to KO guys in under a minute or discovering their one-hit kill, but the only reward is a lame set of audio files.

Multiplayer finally comes to Punch-Out in the form of split-screen Mac versus Mac battles. Wildly flailing your arms like a Wii Sports boxing reject won’t work here. Fights are more about timing and predicting opponents’ moves like in a traditional game of rock, paper, scissors. Skilled players can fill up a blue gauge and transform into a hulking Giga Mac capable of crushing blows. While it’s amusing to unleash this kind of power on your friend, the multiplayer doesn’t have the legs to keep it interesting. This could have been the chance to finally play as enemy characters or to take the franchise online somehow, but it ends up feeling like the team settled for the easiest route.

Despite these complaints, the single-player has always been the focus of Punch-Out, and Next Level delivers. What better way to show your buddy up than to totally annihilate the boxer that just KO’d him?
Old 05-15-09, 04:59 PM
Banned

Amazon.com has Punch Out! for $39.99 for pre-order. Best price around.
Old 05-15-09, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by dx23
Amazon.com has Punch Out! for $39.99 for pre-order. Best price around.
Best Buy still the better deal (release day, GZ points, etc)
Old 05-15-09, 07:09 PM
Banned

IGN review is an 8.8/10

8.0 Presentation
Menus are a little bland and uninspired, but the game just oozes personality, and even with the basic gameplay there's plenty to experience.
8.5 Graphics
The two-frame animation has been completely revamped with modern 3D, and it looks fantastic in motion. Detailed painted cutscenes feel just a little rushed but they're certainly better than nothing.
8.5 Sound
Each character has a good amount of dialogue with well-acted speech that fits their personality. And the classic Punch-Out themes have been remixed in various styles.
9.0 Gameplay
Punch-out may have a basic set of moves and attacks, but the challenge is all in having quick reaction with these moves and recognizing each fighter's patterns. It's incredibly fun and satisfying.
7.5 Lasting Appeal
It won't take too long to plow through the main three circuits, but wait until you have to rematch with tougher versions of those fighters. VS. mode is fun but not a selling point.
8.8 OVERALL
Old 05-15-09, 09:32 PM

I'm a little disappointed both reviews mention that although the motion controls are function they aren't they preferred method of play.
Old 05-15-09, 09:56 PM
Banned

Gamestop is selling Little Mac gloves for $19.99:

Old 05-15-09, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 961 Likes on 678 Posts

I saw them in the store today. I wouldn't drop $5 on them. They looked ultra cheap. Also, you still have to hold the Wiimote and nunchuck while wearing those thick gloves.
Old 05-15-09, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Amazon lowered the price to 39.99 (EDIT: as noted on previous page)
if I was going to buy it I was going to get it at BB for the same after $10 Gamers Club coupon but it showed up in my Gold Box so it was only 37.97 shipped (no tax)

pulled the trigger
Old 05-16-09, 01:14 AM
Banned

Gametrailers gives it an 8.5/10.

This video is full of spoilers. It shows every boxer in the game.

Spoiler:
Mr Sandman is ****ing HUGE.

<object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=8,0,0,0" id="gtembed" width="480" height="392"> <param name="allowScriptAccess" value="sameDomain" /> <param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /> <param name="movie" value="http://www.gametrailers.com/remote_wrap.php?mid=49382"/><param name="quality" value="high" /> <embed src="http://www.gametrailers.com/remote_wrap.php?mid=49382" swLiveConnect="true" name="gtembed" align="middle" allowScriptAccess="sameDomain" allowFullScreen="true" quality="high" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="480" height="392"></embed> </object>

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.