Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Official PSN Games Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-10, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Official PSN Games Thread

Originally Posted by Chris_D
I need to start adding some of you guys to my PSN friends list. Is there a limit on the PSN friends list size? One of the reasons I feel a bit guilty sending 360 friends requests is because of the 100 friends limit and I don't play a lot online. And I know some people don't like to clog up their lists with people who mainly play single player. But still, I like to be able to compare high scores and achievements.
I've gotten error messages before when trying to add someone to my list who was already maxed out. Some quick googling shows that the max is apparently 100.
Old 03-20-10, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Ah, that kind of sux.
Old 03-20-10, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Progress report:

Shatter: Fucking awesome. Addicting as hell too. I think I sunk about 5 hours into it yesterday. Unfortunately only two people on my friend's list own it, so competing for a high score is moot. I passed the Bus with my eyes closed.
I need to get back to both Shatter and Critter Crunch. All of these "big" games keep taking up my time. Heck, I never even finished it, much less chased high scores.

PSN games I never finished:

PJ Monsters and Eden (finished Shooter though)
Savage Moon
Trine
Shatter
Critter Crunch
Old 03-20-10, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by chess
PSN games I never finished:

PJ Monsters and Eden (finished Shooter though)
I never finished Eden either, but I'm ok with it. That game reached a level of frustration that is unparalleled in games these days. The stage where gravity keeps changing direction almost made me throw my controller into my TV. I think I once spent an hour trying to get all five spectra in that level only to have gravity change mid-jump, making miss the last spectra.

Shooter, on the other hand, is a fantastic game.
Old 03-20-10, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think they patched/updated Eden to make it less aggravating.
Old 03-20-10, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I need to give this another try. I never got past the first garden since I found it so frustrating to control. I admire Q-games for their design, but even some of their DSIWare games push the difficulty to the point it stops being a lot of fun to play.
Old 03-20-10, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 914 Likes on 649 Posts

I need to get back to both Shatter and Critter Crunch. All of these "big" games keep taking up my time. Heck, I never even finished it, much less chased high scores.
Yeah, I'm stuck on the World 8 boss. I can play through the whole game to that point without using a continue (for a trophy) but cannot kill this boss no matter how many lives/continues I have. About the 6:45 mark:

I also don't get how he got 4 balls. I cannot get more than 3 at a time. As soon as I lose one then it will give me another but I have never gotten 4.

Oh, I gave up on Eden on the changing gravity level as well.
Old 03-20-10, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Yeah, I'm stuck on the World 8 boss. I can play through the whole game to that point without using a continue (for a trophy) but cannot kill this boss no matter how many lives/continues I have. About the 6:45 mark:

I also don't get how he got 4 balls. I cannot get more than 3 at a time. As soon as I lose one then it will give me another but I have never gotten 4.

Oh, I gave up on Eden on the changing gravity level as well.

After watching that video i really want to buy shatter
Old 03-21-10, 03:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Oh they did, but it didn't really help too much on the level I was talking about. The time I spent an hour on that level, the patch had been out for a while. Otherwise, I probably wouldn't have lasted as long as I did.
Old 03-21-10, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by glassdragon
After watching that video i really want to buy shatter
I was mostly just glad I never made it to that boss.

I can't think of a better game at that price on PSN...sales notwithstanding.

And how great is that music?
Old 03-21-10, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

The music in the entire game is amazing. I think Shatter has easily surpassed Eden as my favorite PSN game.
Old 03-21-10, 09:07 PM

Shatter is good... but I find Eden to be MUCH more challenging. I walked through Shatter, beating the game the second time I played it without a continue. Eden, on the other hand, is unique, challenging, and can suck up a LOT more time. It's also progressively more and more difficult. The first levels can be done in 5-10 minutes. The harder levels (6+) are easy hour+ each. I haven't finished that game.. yet. But when I do, I'll be buying Encore to keep playing.

Eden is easily MY favorite PSN game.

The thing about Eden is, ever try explaining it to someone? What a task that is.
Old 03-21-10, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Is there a demo for Shatter?

All this talk of how good it is has me interested in maybe buying it. I've been stocking up on the half-price PSN cards from K-mart, so I have the funds to spend.
Old 03-21-10, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by TLwizard

All this talk of how good it is has me interested in maybe buying it. I've been stocking up on the half-price PSN cards from K-mart, so I have the funds to spend.
I just checked this afternoon due to this thread. There is no demo.
Old 03-21-10, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,230 Likes on 4,252 Posts

For God's sake, it's a cooler variation of Arkanoid. It costs $6.99 and you've stocked up on half-priced credits. I'm as big a complainer as any for PSN's lack of demos (I think that stinks and there's no excuse for it with what the XBLA provides), but seriously are you really that concerned about the gameplay of a very good Arkanoid clone that might set you back $3.49? Really?
Old 03-21-10, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by Decker
Really?
Yes?
Old 03-21-10, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I'm a cheap ass, but I'm with Decker. If you've been stocking up on 1/2 price points then drop the $3.50 on it. It's easily worth $7.
Old 03-21-10, 10:51 PM

Well TL, I've barely scratched the surface, only played it twice, but it seems to me like a very cool, vibrant and stylish game and it is very inexpensive (it's $9.99 on Steam since it was released there two weeks ago -- no demo there either, BTW). I don't think you'd be disappointed if you find this trailer at all appealing.

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Vwx2czYmlT0&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Vwx2czYmlT0&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Last edited by Decker; 03-21-10 at 10:58 PM.
Old 03-21-10, 11:07 PM

Oh, and if you want to be a super-cheap ass, wait. EVERY PSN game seems to go on sale eventually. It's the one BIG advantage they have over XBLA.
Old 03-21-10, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't like it better than Braid or Pixeljunk Shooter, but I think it might be my third favorite.

I have it from a buddy's account, but I've thought about dropping the $7 just to support the developer (just like I did Braid when it was on sale). It's that good.
Old 03-21-10, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by Decker
Oh, and if you want to be a super-cheap ass, wait. EVERY PSN game seems to go on sale eventually. It's the one BIG advantage they have over XBLA.
That's my big issue here. I know it will go on sale. There's no game on the PSN (save for the PJ games and The Last Man which I've gotten all on Day 1) that I haven't gotten on sale. Even though I got the cards half off, I still view them as 20 full dollars. Same issue with XBLA. I got tons of free points from various promotions (remember: text NBA to 74139), but I still can't bring myself to get Trials HD and Perfect Dark because I know they'll be on sale sometime soon. It also doesn't help that I have about 15 other games to finish.

These are the times we live in. I can't even believe how much I used to make my parents spend on NES/Atari/C64 games.
Old 03-22-10, 01:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

i got 80 dollars worth of points at kmart for 40 bucks. Ended up getting Shatter, Sam and Max preorder, Pain with 2 expansions, FF VIII, and pixeljunk shooter.

Pain, while not the most fun in single player is incredibly fun in multiplayer. My friend and I played it on multiplayer for 4 hours tonight. It is fun as hell.
Old 03-22-10, 05:11 PM

I've really enjoyed Super Stardust HD for what it's worth. I do believe there's a demo for you to try it out.

I enjoyed Pixeljunk Shooter a lot. There's going to be an encore released at some point so you can either wait to get both, or go ahead and get this one now. It is fun.

It's hard to recommend without really knowing what you have. I think Fat Princess is a lot of fun. I've enjoyed Age of Booty for the $5 I spent on it. PJ Eden and Monsters are great. Enjoying Trine. Zen Pinball's enjoyable for what it is, although a lot of people seem to like the Williams Collection or something like that. I love Uno. Have it for both the 360 and PS3.
BTW, this is probably old news, but Super Stardust HD also has a single player and multiplayer expansion for $5 each. I picked up the single player just recently and it is a lot of fun. The time attack mode is great because it is very intense and if you screw up you dont waste much time because the games are quick. Been playing this one like crazy lately as it gets my fix for frantic arcade asteroid action on steroids. Would pick up multiplayer pack as well if I knew someone who actually played it as well.
Old 03-24-10, 02:20 PM

Hooray!

10 Weeks of weekly Spring Fever sales. First week starting this Thursday is Gravity Crash for $4.99 and Everyday Shooter for $4.99. Purchase also nets you a piece of clothing (a Bee outfit I think) for your Home Avatar.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/...ation-network/
Old 03-24-10, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Hooray!

10 Weeks of weekly Spring Fever sales. First week starting this Thursday is Gravity Crash for $4.99 and Everyday Shooter for $4.99. Purchase also nets you a piece of clothing (a Bee outfit I think) for your Home Avatar.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/...ation-network/
Perfect timing after grabbing a couple cards with the Kmart coupon. Thanks TL!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.