Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

PS3 Hookup Question?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-08, 10:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PS3 Hookup Question?

I am going to get a PS3 in a couple weeks and right now I don't have a HDTV. I do in the living room but in my room,no. It is a Panasonic with a built in DVD and VCR

If I buy the PS3 is there a way to hook it up to the standard tv and still view it. I know the HD Results won't show till I get a HDTV but am I still able to play games and watch blue ray without a hdtv? I will get one eventually but I wanted to save my money to get a real great hdtv.
Old 07-29-08, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,177 Likes on 4,206 Posts
Sure. The old PS2 cables will work just fine with a PS3 for SD.
Old 07-29-08, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The PS3 comes with the cable to hook up via composite (the standard yellow/white/red on one end for your TV, a special connector on the other end for your PS3).

You'll need to purchase a special PS3 cable if you want to hook it up with S-Video (the standard S-Video one end for your TV, a special connector on the other end for your PS3).

Any HDMI cable should work when the time comes.
Old 07-30-08, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
You might have some issues if you play DVDs on it, because the combo unit could have its video input wired through the VCR. This would cause the Macrovision (analog copy protection) to be activated, resulting in the picture alternating between light and dark. Then again, you would probably use the built-in DVD player anyway.

Games wouldn't be a problem, but I don't know if BDs have Macrovision or not.
Old 07-31-08, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got the 40GB PS3 back in February and I just hooked it up to a 13" Philips CRT TV with a built in VCR. I had no problems. Just plug the three RCA cables into the front of your TV. Smaller CRT TV sets will only have 2 options, however. It will have one input for video and one option for audio.

I didn't get a HDTV (32" Sharp Aquos) until a month ago so I was watching BDs on a 13" TV for awhile. I had the PS3 connected to the new TV for about 3 or 4 days and now I got a standalone player and the PS3 is retired to the back room.