Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

SingStar PS3 - May 20th

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-08, 09:45 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SingStar PS3 - May 20th

So, my girlfriend was obsessed with these games on the PS2, and the PS3 version is releasing close enough to her upcoming birthday, that I'm thinking about gifting it to her.

Any other interest among the DVDTalk community? This seems to be a huge hit in Europe. The online functionality seems to add quite a bit. Of course, chances of this getting played over Rock Band seem slim, to me.

Anyone know if her PS2 SS mics will work with the PS3 version?

Thanks
Old 05-07-08, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,497 Posts
The thinking is that the old mics will work with the PS3 title, though I don't think that's been confirmed. It does look like the track list is huge, and they are performed by the original artists... what deters me is that I already have so many mics from Karaoke Revolution that will not work with this game. Urgh.
Old 05-12-08, 08:51 AM
Banned

Hm. I would have thought there'd be a little bit more interest in this game considering how well it's sold overseas.
Old 05-12-08, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SonOfAStu
Hm. I would have thought there'd be a little bit more interest in this game considering how well it's sold overseas.
I think a lot of us have quenched our thirst for vocals with Rock Band.

I've got a mild interest in this title, depending on the tracklist. I don't care for a lot of the poppier songs, but would be happy singing some of the rock/metal songs that haven't/won't make it into Rock Band (Lordi's Hard Rock Hallelujah).

However, I really can't stand the "static" vocals method that they use for this game. I really dig the scrolling vocals of Rock Band, although some of my friends prefer the static version. I just don't see any advantage of using the static method, other than having a problem reading scrolling text.
Old 05-12-08, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I asked some Americans here in New York about SingStar and Eyetoy and most people don"t even know the games. It's really strange because the games are huuuuuuuuuuge in Europe.
Old 05-12-08, 12:48 PM
Suspended

Know what else is huge in Europe? David Hasselhoff.
Old 05-12-08, 06:15 PM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts
I'll probably pick it up, it'll be a hit with my kids and their friends, especially considering the amount of downloadable songs and the fact that most of the songs are well-known (as opposed to Rock Band).
Old 05-12-08, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I actually want this to be released in the US:

Old 05-12-08, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Definite pick-up for me! I love Rockband but those songs stress me out! LOL

I'm more into fun poppy fluff. I already have mics from the old game so I am glad you can just buy the game by itself.
Old 05-13-08, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I would be interested if I were a PS3 owner, but I am not and have no plans to be.
Old 05-13-08, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by lotsofdvds
Know what else is huge in Europe? David Hasselhoff.
And Volkswagen!
Old 05-14-08, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by fujishig
The thinking is that the old mics will work with the PS3 title, though I don't think that's been confirmed. It does look like the track list is huge, and they are performed by the original artists... what deters me is that I already have so many mics from Karaoke Revolution that will not work with this game. Urgh.

i read few things here and there... From what i understand is that if the PS2 mics come with a hub (converts to USB i guess) they will work on the PS3. For example, the PS2 Singstar Slim bundle came with the hub, so the mics can be used for PS3's Singstar. Since there are mics out there can be used for PS3's Singstar, there are two versions of the game, with mic(s) or without.
Old 05-14-08, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Rock Band scratches my karaoke itch, but since I have a bunch of USB mics already, this seems like a prime candidate for a Gamefly rental.
Old 05-15-08, 05:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You can buy the standalone game for 40 bucks. Knowing there will be downloadable content makes it a buy vs. a rental for me.
Old 05-15-08, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by HotThang
You can buy the standalone game for 40 bucks. Knowing there will be downloadable content makes it a buy vs. a rental for me.
Yeah, if you'll be playing it a lot, it makes more sense to buy. I'm more interested in just trying it out. If it's a great game and the song selection is solid, I might end up buying it after I rent it.
Old 05-20-08, 02:25 PM
Banned

Wow, IGN gave this a great review yesterday. Guess I'll pick it up at Gamestop on my way home.
Old 05-20-08, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
My problems with the Singstar games is that you don't know where your pitch is. I find it very difficult to know if you need to sing higher or lower. I find the Karaoke Revolution/Rock Band style of singing better. Also, does the new Singstar allow you to turn the original singer's voice off? The previous games you had to sing over them. Kinda weird for a karaoke game.
Old 05-20-08, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DVDChris
My problems with the Singstar games is that you don't know where your pitch is. I find it very difficult to know if you need to sing higher or lower.
Shouldn't you be familiar with a song before you try to sing it?
Old 05-20-08, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Gerry P.
Shouldn't you be familiar with a song before you try to sing it?
Just because you're familiar with a song doesn't mean you know how to sing it in the proper pitch. There have been countless times when we've had someone come try to sing something in Rock Band and they're all "I've sung this song a million times! I know it like the back of my hand!" and then they fail out on Medium and wonder what the hell is wrong. They'll do things like try to put their own inflections in and things and not sing it exactly the way the artist does, or not know how to control their pitch well enough.
Old 05-20-08, 05:53 PM
Banned

Hm. Sold out at Gamestop, Target, and Best Buy on my way home. Guess it's going to be more popular than I thought.
Old 05-20-08, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
Hm. Sold out at Gamestop, Target, and Best Buy on my way home. Guess it's going to be more popular than I thought.
SonOfAStu - The game shipped today, most stores won't have it til tomorrow or Thursday. Especially places like Target.

Originally Posted by The Bus
I actually want this to be released in the US:

Jimmy Jimmy Jimmy.. Adja Adja Adja.

Last edited by RichC2; 05-20-08 at 06:43 PM.
Old 05-20-08, 10:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by RichC2
SonOfAStu - The game shipped today, most stores won't have it til tomorrow or Thursday. Especially places like Target.

Target had THREE empty slots in their PS3 case with the Sing Star bundle SKU on the label. The clerk said he sold all of them today. I don't need the bundle, just the game and he said they didn't get any of those in, yet. They were getting calls for the bundle with the mics all day though. They sold out early.

Gamestop said they were sold out (I don't even bother looking for stuff in that mess of a store), and the Best Buy racks were empty. Didn't even ask there.
Old 05-20-08, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
Target had THREE empty slots in their PS3 case with the Sing Star bundle SKU on the label. The clerk said he sold all of them today. I don't need the bundle, just the game and he said they didn't get any of those in, yet. They were getting calls for the bundle with the mics all day though. They sold out early.

Gamestop said they were sold out (I don't even bother looking for stuff in that mess of a store), and the Best Buy racks were empty. Didn't even ask there.
weird, normally we get stuff faster than most and still haven't gotten any SingStars, oh well. The 22nd came up a few times as well.

I've been making incorrect presumptions all week.

Last edited by RichC2; 05-20-08 at 11:12 PM.
Old 05-20-08, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The game should hit stores on the 21st...try your luck then I may make my gf play this
Old 05-21-08, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Shagrath
Just because you're familiar with a song doesn't mean you know how to sing it in the proper pitch. There have been countless times when we've had someone come try to sing something in Rock Band and they're all "I've sung this song a million times! I know it like the back of my hand!" and then they fail out on Medium and wonder what the hell is wrong. They'll do things like try to put their own inflections in and things and not sing it exactly the way the artist does, or not know how to control their pitch well enough.
Pretty much what Shagrath said. There are times when I think I know a song, but then my pitch is off.

I just saw in the IGN review that finally you can turn the lead vocals off. I may have to rent this game to see for myself.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.