Official Duke Nukem Forever Thread of Bad(Classic) Oneliners

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-11, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Official Duke Nukem Forever Thread of Bad(Classic) Oneliners

Originally Posted by Groucho
I blacklisted Kedrix years ago.
Yep, I had to shack up with Harpo and man does he toot in his sleep.
Old 06-16-11, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Reading some of these reviews... it's like these reviewers think Duke Nukem owes them something. How dare he make them wait this long to play it! I mean, I get it, it's not a top tier current gen game. But I have played much, much worse. Turning Point: Fall of Liberty sucked and sucked hard. Clive Barker's Jericho, Shellshock 2: Blood Trails...
Old 06-16-11, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by chuckd21
But I have played much, much worse. Turning Point: Fall of Liberty sucked and sucked hard. Clive Barker's Jericho, Shellshock 2: Blood Trails...
*looks at his unopened copies of Turning Point and Clive Barker's Jericho and looks back* At least I didn't pay much. Assuming I still get my copy, I'm not sure so much Duke owes me anything, but I was hoping too much I guess. He was my favorite character in the 90's, and I was hoping to rekindle that. It's like my favorite movie of all time, Escape from New York. Well, remember when Escape from LA came out? I wanted so bad it to be good, but I remember going to the theaters and being so disapointed. Years later, I actually kinda like the movie. It's no ESFNY, but it's delightful in its own way. I hope that's what happens with DNF. Initial disapointment, but some enjoyment after a while.
Old 06-16-11, 01:26 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

For those wondering about the reviews, bear in mind what version you're playing. The PC version (and to a lesser extent the PS3 version) is getting much better reviews than the 360 version.

This seems like the perfect purchase when it goes dirt cheap on Steam over the holidays.
Old 06-16-11, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Eh, the 360 version has a 47.28% average, the PC version is at 48% and the PS3 version is at 52.63%.

That said, the 360 version is apparently the worst by a good bit -- a shame as I'd rather play it on that than PC or PS3.

Comparison: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/di...rever-face-off
Old 06-16-11, 01:36 PM

I show 360 at 49, PS3 at 57, and PC at 58 (Metacritic). Last time I checked, PC was in the seventies so a bunch of bad reviews must have shown up.
Old 06-16-11, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

From what site? Metacritic shows PC 58%, PS3 57%, X360 49%.

EDIT: Oops. Groucho beat me.
Old 06-16-11, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

This seems like the perfect purchase when it goes dirt cheap on Steam over the holidays.
I think this is the fairest statement yet. Whether it's Duke Nukem reboot or Dick Nickem, no publisher should be putting shit out there for $60. Just because games of the past have been worse, this game wouldn't have been a blip on the radar if it weren't for the high expectations and the high publicity and promises the dev team put out there.
Old 06-16-11, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

I was going off Gamerankings.com -- they tend to carry more sources than metacritic.
Old 06-16-11, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Rob V
I think this is the fairest statement yet. Whether it's Duke Nukem reboot or Dick Nickem, no publisher should be putting shit out there for $60. Just because games of the past have been worse, this game wouldn't have been a blip on the radar if it weren't for the high expectations and the high publicity and promises the dev team put out there.
It absolutely should have been no higher than $40 at launch. I agree with that.
Old 06-16-11, 03:11 PM

I do hope this sells well enough that Gearbox has motivation to produce a brand-new Duke game from the ground up.
Old 06-16-11, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I do hope this sells well enough that Gearbox has motivation to produce a brand-new Duke game from the ground up.
I agree. I hope this isn't the death of the franchise. I'm enjoying this one and loved Borderlands so I have faith in the idea that Gearbox can do it. Regardless of what the reviews say about Forever, I don't think there's a ton they need to improve on. Yes some work does need to be done but I think they can pull it off.
I think what made 3D so beloved was its graphics. I remember in PC Gamer, or whatever the hot mag was at the time in 95, when I opened it up and saw the 2 page ad for the game I thought "wow this is going to be great". Then I went to Electronics Boutique and paid $4.95 for the demo disc when it came out. Anybody remember that?
Old 06-16-11, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I heard there was a lot of jokey rape humor?
Old 06-16-11, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

You're referring to The Hive level. It's where Duke finds
Spoiler:
all the kidnapped babes cocooned like in the movie Aliens, having been impregnated with alien creatures.

It wasn't what was portrayed in that level which bothered me so much. The same thing happened in Duke 3D as well, although I was surprised they included it again after so many years of political correctness have passed. But the jokes in that level were in very bad taste, so I was glad when the game moved on from that point.
Old 06-16-11, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Reading some of these reviews... it's like these reviewers think Duke Nukem owes them something. How dare he make them wait this long to play it! I mean, I get it, it's not a top tier current gen game. But I have played much, much worse. Turning Point: Fall of Liberty sucked and sucked hard. Clive Barker's Jericho, Shellshock 2: Blood Trails...
I just looked to see what scores a game like Homefront got. Mostly 7s across the board. That game was hyped so much that I thought it was the second coming of FPSs. Turns out the graphics were bad, it was very linear, and didn't offer anything new to shooters. Yet it gets 7s. I liked that game and a 7 seemed about right. Maybe a bit less cause it was marketed as a modern day shooter. Something Duke really wasnt. It took me about 4 hours to finish Homefront's campaign and I'm already past that in Duke with a ways to go. I'm going to end my rant about Duke's low scores with this post but something just seems off.
Old 06-17-11, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If people want to be mad at this game, be mad at the pinball and air hockey achievements. Those absolutely suck.
Old 06-17-11, 11:45 AM

If people want to be mad at this game, be mad at the pinball and air hockey achievements. Those absolutely suck.
Euwwwww....seriously? Mini-game achievements inside a regular game = mass suckage.
Old 06-17-11, 03:54 PM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Man what a lackluster summer so far. Hunted Demon Forge sucks, Alice sucks, LA Noire overhyped, and Duke blows. No word on the new Transformers game either.
Old 06-17-11, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At least the air hokey has decent physics. The controls suck and you can't even see the entire table, but unlike the pinball game it's slightly fun to play.
Old 06-17-11, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dvdjunkie32
Man what a lackluster summer so far. Hunted Demon Forge sucks, Alice sucks, LA Noire overhyped, and Duke blows. No word on the new Transformers game either.
Okay, Stan.
Old 06-18-11, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

*shrugs* he kinda has a point.
Old 06-18-11, 12:38 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

so no demo on XBL correct?
Old 06-18-11, 01:53 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

The pinball achievement is nuts. I gave up on it after a while. Never have been good at pinball to begin with, but getting 1 million is insanity...period.
Old 06-18-11, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rennervision
You're referring to The Hive level. It's where Duke finds
Spoiler:
all the kidnapped babes cocooned like in the movie Aliens, having been impregnated with alien creatures.

It wasn't what was portrayed in that level which bothered me so much. The same thing happened in Duke 3D as well, although I was surprised they included it again after so many years of political correctness have passed. But the jokes in that level were in very bad taste, so I was glad when the game moved on from that point.
Yeah I saw a video on youtube of the level. Eh, it's weird without the context of the whole game.

As for summer gaming, don't most of the AAA games come out in the fall near Christmas?
Old 06-18-11, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Wick
The pinball achievement is nuts. I gave up on it after a while. Never have been good at pinball to begin with, but getting 1 million is insanity...period.
It was super easy. you can just pin the ball at the top left flipper, and keep knocking down the 3 little squares to the immediate left of it. Tilt the machine slightly to catch the ball again at the top left flipper. repeat for about 5 minutes.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.