Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

You know you're an old gamer when...

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-08, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You know you're an old gamer when...

The magic of StumbleUpon once again. This was good, and thought I'd share...as it's pretty accurate too.

http://www.techradar.com/news/gaming...e-gamer-329291

You find the idea of videogames based on board games perfectly acceptable. Anyone for a game of Carcassonne tonight? The wife's out until 10pm and I'll be online after I've had my dinner…
Old 05-17-08, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A lot rings true, but I actually only own a Wii (of new gen), so I differ there. I'd say I haven't played my Wii for weeks though. I simply have no time.
Old 05-17-08, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Nope, that's not me. Winning is everything, I love playing with friends on Live, I got GTA the day it came out, board games are boring, and I'm pretty good at FPS's.

However, I do remember Nintendo as my 'golden age' of gaming, I do put the games away when the girlfriend is over, and I don't want a Wii because, well...it is too much effort.

= J
Old 05-17-08, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Nothing on that list applies to me, that hasn't always applied to me. I'm 27, about to turn 28, so I guess this is still aimed at me. Or maybe it's aimed more at those a decade older than me, who started gaming in the 70's?

I dunno.

Ever since I started playing games, in the 80's, I've always went through periods of hardcore gaming, then extended periods of not playing any games at all. I'm still like that to this day, so that's especially something that's always been the same for me.

Right now, I'm in a total gaming phase, but around September that'll likely end for a month or two.
Old 05-18-08, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,207 Likes on 4,234 Posts
Damn, a lot of that applies to me. The only one that doesn't is the thing about the Wii -- I don't own one, but it's not out of laziness but rather just because that system was the one I wanted the third most and I decided to draw the line there. Other than that (and change the "girlfriend" comment to "wife") and they have me pretty much pegged.
Old 05-18-08, 01:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Pre-ordered GTAIV. Got it the Friday after. No complaints.

I read the thread title and immediately thought... You know you're an old gamer when your girlfriend's 7 year old son is almost as good at Guitar Hero as you are. And so it begins....
Old 05-18-08, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts
Those all applied to me when I was younger too.

Referencing Manic Miner made me feel old though. Where the hell is THAT on VC... along with Jet Set Willy.
Old 05-18-08, 11:21 AM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
You know you're an old gamer when you find yourself wishing they'd port some C64 games to XBLA. Seriously -- I want MULE and I want Seven Cities of Gold and I want Impossible Mission. Is that to much to ask?
Old 05-18-08, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JasonF
You know you're an old gamer when you find yourself wishing they'd port some C64 games to XBLA. Seriously -- I want MULE and I want Seven Cities of Gold and I want Impossible Mission. Is that to much to ask?
My most wanted C64 to XBLA game would be Lode Runner. That's the kind of simple to learn but addictive game that seems like it would be perfect for that.
Old 05-18-08, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Lode runner is coming but I don't know how close it is to the C64 version.
Old 05-18-08, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Chris_D
Lode runner is coming but I don't know how close it is to the C64 version.
Nice. I just looked it up on Gamespot after I read your post. Looks a lot shinier than the original obviously, and as long as the gameplay stays the same, I'll be happy.
Old 05-18-08, 02:32 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
Here's a screenshot from the XBLA port of Lode Runner:

I always preferred Jumpman to Lode Runner, but I'm happy for Lode Runner.
Old 05-18-08, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
I laughed at the girlfriend comment. That's definitely the situation here.
Old 05-18-08, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

at the Spawn, run, jump, die, Spawn, run jump die...

Most of this list applies to me, especially the "don't like to play online stuff". Although mainly due to the 12 year olds swearing and screaming, not really for the skills.
Old 05-19-08, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I loved this comment:
well I am 17 and already starting to experience these signs oh well I guess getting laid every night is better than being good at halo

I'm 32, married, 2 children. And some of those apply and some don't. I love playing online, I prefer to lost to a 12 years old to a cheating computer, oh how I hate when a computer cheats in a game, specially in sports games. I started playing a lot again after my daughter was born, basically my presence wasn't needed in bed anymore, so I had to find a hobby for the long nights
I hate board games and I don't believe in golden ages, however I think games haven't been better than what they are today. I love playing in a 92'' HD screen with surround sound so maybe that's my golden age.
Old 05-19-08, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
A lot of that applies to me. I pre-ordered GTA and didn't pick it up until the Sunday after it was released.
Old 05-19-08, 12:28 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by huh?
especially the "don't like to play online stuff". Although mainly due to the 12 year olds swearing and screaming, not really for the skills.
Same here. Granted, I *don't* have the skills on multiplayer, but that's because I generally hate most of the multiplayer modes - deathmatches, capture the flag, etc. are boring IMO - so never actually played enough to gain multiplayer skills, not the other way around as they suggest.

For me, they should add one: You prefer old-school multiplayer where your buddy is sitting in the room with you, and you can talk to each other without wearing goofy headsets.
Old 05-21-08, 12:44 PM

I am 38, we have a PS3, 360 W HD-DVD drive, 2-PS2's, Wii, and a GBA.

I go in spurts playing the PS3 and the 360. Love my Halo 3, Madden 08, and GTA!!!

I used to get a new game and play for hours upon end, once you get married things change a little bit, but my wife is very cool about my "play time" since we have a 32in in our bedroom that she can watch when I am using the Main TV.
Old 05-21-08, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by trubiet
I used to get a new game and play for hours upon end, once you get married things change a little bit, but my wife is very cool about my "play time" since we have a 32in in our bedroom that she can watch when I am using the Main TV.
Two words for you... "Finished Basement." My wife can have the whole house while I game.
Old 05-21-08, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Two words for you... "Finished Basement." My wife can have the whole house while I game.

YES! I already told her some day the basement will be finished and then I will get a projector and use the 52in for the bedroom TV.

She said fine, now it is just a matter of doing the work.
Old 05-21-08, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts
Originally Posted by Brent L
Nothing on that list applies to me, that hasn't always applied to me. I'm 27, about to turn 28, so I guess this is still aimed at me. Or maybe it's aimed more at those a decade older than me, who started gaming in the 70's?
I turned 40 this year and none of that list applies to me.
Old 05-21-08, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
What about us city folk without basements?
Old 05-21-08, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by Sheff
What about us city folk without basements?
Two words? "Moving Time"
Old 05-21-08, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Wow a lot of that stuff does fit me now.

I prefer playing against the PC though I have played Burnout Paradise and GTA IV a bit online, I still finish any game I like but I do find more and more that don't grab me and get sold quickly, I go days and sometimes weeks where I watch movies and read and avoid gaming, I like all my gaming hardware pretty equally, I do remember my 2600 & NES days fondly, I don't play many Wii games that involve a lot of screwing around with the remote, I love games based on board games and play them on the DS and PC and I did not rush out to pick up my GTA IV copy. I sometimes wait anywhere from a day to a month to get a new release game I want.

I'm getting old.
Old 05-22-08, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Doesn't jive for me, except the girlfriend one and the boardgame one (Catan/Carcassone are both cool). My gaming time is reserved for when the wife and kids go to bed. I don't play games during the day when they are up (minus some online Tekken if they are napping).

Most of my nights are spent playing Gears online with my buddies who are pretty much around my age range or older (28). We mock the kiddies and their racist homophobia or boot them if they are too annoying.

I prefer playing with friends but with kids in tow I don't see them like I used to. I get bored with single player FPS/RTS and always have (exception: Bioshock). A console gets turned on most nights at least for an hour or two. I don't trade in games at stores for crummy prices, I sell them on ebay/amazon or old almost-worthless games get traded in to wherehouse.com.

And the PS3 is still only used for blu-ray and PS2 games. The Wii is used mostly for multiplayer but that's just because I'm addicted to online Gears.

Oh, and lastly: a lot of those old classics are still classic and still good. I can't believe he called a good 16-bit game like Sonic shallow, repetitive and not-much fun.

This doesn't really sound like a 20-something to me. Especially the Spectrum reference. A Spectrum gamer? Guess: a gamer freak in his 30s who is just at the girlfriend (as opposed to married) stage and finds there's fun things to do that aren't gaming. My first system was an Atari 2600. And Wii Bowling a workout? I don't get much exercise these days but hell, I'm not THAT lazy.

Last edited by GreenMonkey; 05-22-08 at 10:01 AM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.