Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Guitar Hero 4 (GH4)

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-08, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guitar Hero 4 (GH4)

According to BleedingWolf82 (a member of the Xbox Forums), in the next issue of Game Informer, there is information regarding the upcoming Guitar Hero game.

The following is what he details that the article specifies:

- Create a song. Although these exclude vocals due to storage and possible copyright issues.
- You'll be able to name your song as well as creating album art. After you've done all that you can upload it to GH Tunes where anyone can download it.
- You'll be limited to 5 songs at first. But depending on the ratings you get you'll possibly be able to upload 10 or more.
- The song sharing mode will be in the Wii and PS2 versions also, but GI says it's unlikely that it'll be as robust as the PS3 and 360 versions.
- Drums, bass, vocals guitar
- Create a rocker
- Create a guitar and drums
- All songs will be master tracks
- They don't want to discuss specifics on track listing out of fear of being scooped by the competition. However they confirmed 4 bands: Van Halen, The Eagles, Linkin Park and Sublime.
- A new guitar designed by Red Octane that includes a new input mechanic that'll "impact the way you play GH in the future".
- GI saw see through notes while playing that Neversoft said was the new input mechanic and that they were trying to patent.
Personally, I'm eagerly anticipating this. I do not care for Rock Band at all, as I find it rather boring and poorly designed, so this sounds right up my proverbial alley.

EDIT: Added the last two bullet-points

Last edited by invisiblegt; 05-12-08 at 07:36 PM.
Old 05-12-08, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I didn't really dig Guitar Hero 3 when it strayed away from relatively accurate note charts to absurdly difficult and hard for the sake of being hard. I do like the groups they've mentioned so far though and I'm glad they're including the Rock Band peripherals.
Old 05-12-08, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CKMorpheus
I didn't really dig Guitar Hero 3 when it strayed away from relatively accurate note charts to absurdly difficult and hard for the sake of being hard. I do like the groups they've mentioned so far though and I'm glad they're including the Rock Band peripherals.
Agreed. I will always continue to buy GH games, but the goofy note charts bother me.
Old 05-12-08, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm glad they're including the Rock Band peripherals.
Huh? Where does it say this? Or do you mean, RB-esque peripherals?
Old 05-12-08, 07:01 PM

It'll be interesting to see how the "Create a Song" feature works. Not sure how you'd create anything solely from GH so I'd assume it would include importing .mp3 tracks. I don't want another Mario Paint. :P
Old 05-12-08, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I read that the makers of GH addressed those concerns for the new Aerosmith GH game.
Old 05-12-08, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

sharing songs... there is a bucket of worms.
Old 05-12-08, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

More competition can never be a bad thing.

My main concern would be trusting that if everything is a master track as it says, Neversoft doesn't go back to the live music well like the Def Leppard DLC.
Old 05-12-08, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Liver&Onions
Huh? Where does it say this? Or do you mean, RB-esque peripherals?
It says "Drums, Bass, Vocals, and Guitar" in one of the bulletpoints.
Old 05-12-08, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
I read that the makers of GH addressed those concerns for the new Aerosmith GH game.
I read that too, and based on Dream On that was released, it felt a different.
Old 05-12-08, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Mad Dawg
More competition can never be a bad thing.

My main concern would be trusting that if everything is a master track as it says, Neversoft doesn't go back to the live music well like the Def Leppard DLC.
The live tracks were a disaster and I hope that is not a trend. That is about the only way I would stop buying these music/rhythm games.
Old 05-12-08, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If this game doesn't support the Rock Band peripherals, that could prove to be very costly for the Guitar Hero franchise. Most people won't be willing to buy a whole additional set of instruments and RB beat them to the punch on that front.

Of course, Activision playing nice with Harmonix would mean we'd all win, so it probably won't happen.
Old 05-12-08, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,228 Likes on 4,250 Posts
That by no means ensures that the RB peripherals will be compatible. If they think they will get me to buy a second drum set to clutter up my family room however, they would be mistaken.
Old 05-12-08, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
EAGLES!!!!!!!!!!1111oneoneone
Old 05-12-08, 08:03 PM

Wow...I didn't think that feature would actually see the light of day.
Old 05-12-08, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So you mean RB-esque peripherals then. Nothing says it supports them (RBs drums/guitar), just that the game is going to have those tracks too for playing.
Old 05-12-08, 09:18 PM

Unfortunately I would say the chances of them supporting the RB peripherals is at around 0%, unless somebody like Microsoft forces them to (which IMO they should do, for their users' sake but I'm not holding my breath).
Old 05-12-08, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 425 Likes on 306 Posts
Please make it stop.
Old 05-12-08, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 914 Likes on 649 Posts
Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial
Please make it stop.
What an enlightening addition to the discussion.

Originally Posted by porieux
Unfortunately I would say the chances of them supporting the RB peripherals is at around 0%, unless somebody like Microsoft forces them to (which IMO they should do, for their users' sake but I'm not holding my breath).
I agree. MS needs to step in and end this bullshit nonsense. There is zero chance gamers will double dip on instruments on a franchise that is already on shaky ground with them.

I'm looking forward to it. Can't wait to see the track listing. The Eagles is a coup and I was listening to Sublime the other day thinking those would be great to sing to.
Old 05-12-08, 09:57 PM

I think it would be reasonable for Microsoft to say, if you want certification for our platform, then your peripherals have to adhere to a specific protocol, which would guarantee a certain level of interoperability. I mean, they certainly do that to a certain extent already, but obviously the Rock Band guitar does not work with the GH series...

I could see companies arguing that this would stifle their innovation/differentiation, but a compromise could be for Microsoft to say, here are the minimum features you need to support for a 'guitar controller' or 'drum controller' and if you want to add other things on top of that, that's fine. I would imagine they must be considering something like this, if it doesn't exist already.
Old 05-12-08, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Decker
That by no means ensures that the RB peripherals will be compatible. If they think they will get me to buy a second drum set to clutter up my family room however, they would be mistaken.
Once you see their drumset, you will change your mind. It would be hard to make it compatible with Rock Band. Three drums; red, blue & green, two cymbals; yellow & orange as well as the pedal. It looks much sturdier and better laid out then RB drums. (my scanner kicked the bucket or I would post the pick from the magazine)

Last edited by hail2dking; 05-12-08 at 11:05 PM.
Old 05-12-08, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Three drums, two cymbals, plus a bass drum == no compatibility with the RB drums == no sale.
Old 05-12-08, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

oh shit, they have cymbals. Uhhhh....might have to make room anyway. Shit.
Old 05-12-08, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm happy with my Rock Band setup. No way am I going to buy a whole new set of peripherals. The GH4 drum kit does look nice, but I don't like the direction that Neversoft took with GH3. Still, I'm curious to learn more about GH4 and see what they bring to the table.
Old 05-12-08, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'd double dip on a drum set of higher quality however, backwards compatibility with RB is a must in my book. The GHIII guitar is just about perfect so I'd just prefer to keep using that.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.