Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Guitar Hero 4 (GH4)

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-08, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Where the hell am I going to put all these sets of plastic drums and guitars in my house? This is ridiculous.
Old 05-12-08, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just about creamed in my pantaloons seeing the Eagles and Van Halen confirmed there. As asinine and silly as it sounds, I think I would buy the whole set w/instruments just to play some Eagles tunes (unless the RB ones miraculously were compatible-which has a less than zero chance of happening).
Old 05-12-08, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,326 Likes on 4,324 Posts
Originally Posted by hail2dking
Once you see their drumset, you will change your mind. It would be hard to make it compatible with Rock Band. Three drums; red, blue & green, two cymbals; yellow & orange as well as the pedal. It looks much sturdier and better laid out then RB drums. (my scanner kicked the bucket or I would post the pick from the magazine)
Yes, it does look nice but I have to draw the line. I'm in the Rock Band camp now and just don't have the room or money for a second entire kit. This is geting officially out of hand. Did anyone cover what the new guitar feature was? Sorry if I missed that.
Old 05-13-08, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'm not so sure cymbals was a good idea, at all. The beauty of the RB setup is its flexibility, depending on the song or even section of the song, the pads transform into different parts of the kit. Sometimes the red pad, which is usually the snare, even becomes the high hat (when you are playing 16ths like in RttH). Then think of something like Maps where you are playing a bunch of toms. Seems like with this kit you only have 3 pads for that instead of 4, unless cymbal pads are going to be used as toms as well which seems unlikely.

I will be happy to change my mind once I try them, but right now I am thinking the RB drum setup is better.
Old 05-13-08, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Managed to read the text in that scan above and two things sound great: they are focused on making the pads a lot quieter, and the pads and kick are all velocity sensitive, which is really cool. I have no idea how that would affect gameplay though...
Old 05-13-08, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
That drum set looks fantastic to me. Far better then the simple Rock Band one.
Old 05-13-08, 05:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I ain't buying any more drum sets.
Old 05-13-08, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by FatTony
If this game doesn't support the Rock Band peripherals, that could prove to be very costly for the Guitar Hero franchise. Most people won't be willing to buy a whole additional set of instruments and RB beat them to the punch on that front.

Of course, Activision playing nice with Harmonix would mean we'd all win, so it probably won't happen.
There's no way in hell I'm cluttering up the house w/ 2 sets of instruments. I hated GH3 and the entire family (sans wife) loves Rock Band so we'll just stick with that.
Old 05-13-08, 08:44 AM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeah, count me in the "no way in hell I'm buying another drumset" camp. Can you imagine EA making you buy a new controller to play Madden each year? Or Activision making their games use a different controller than EA games? I know it's not that simple of an analogy in the real world, but IMO these guitar/band games have been around long enough that they should be at a point where they are standardizing things a bit or at least allowing 100% backwards compatibility.
Old 05-13-08, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'll echo the "I'm not buying a second set of instruments" sentiments. If they don't allow compatibility with the Rock Band guitars I'll boycott the game on that alone. Both sides need to make everything work with everything, nobody loses that way.
Old 05-13-08, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts
Originally Posted by invisiblegt
According to BleedingWolf82 (a member of the Xbox Forums), in the next issue of Game Informer, there is information regarding the upcoming Guitar Hero game:

- A new guitar designed by Red Octane that includes a new input mechanic that'll "impact the way you play GH in the future".
- GI saw see through notes while playing that Neversoft said was the new input mechanic and that they were trying to patent.
Effects pedal? That's kind of what it sounds like.
Old 05-13-08, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 921 Likes on 654 Posts
Originally Posted by GoVegan
Effects pedal? That's kind of what it sounds like.
Makes sense, it has to be something easy to implement into existing guitars. People don't want or need a new guitar with every game.

I could live without though. I sit in my recliner while playing with my feet up. A pedal would kill that.
Old 05-13-08, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I could live without though. I sit in my recliner while playing with my feet up. A pedal would kill that.
What kind of rocker are you!?!?! There's no way I could play GH or RB sitting down. I gotta stand and get into the music. Hell, I'll even do the wide-leg metal stance or put my foot up on the table during certain songs.

To bring something related to the thread, I'm pretty much done with additional peripherals. Like most everyone else, I don't have room to store two different drumsets or yet another guitar. Hell, my closet is lined with plastic guitars along the walls, and the RB drums, drum throne, and mic stand on the floor.

Unless they've drastically changed the engine and even the look of the game, I'm going to pass. Even if the tracklist is amazing, a shoddy presentation is going to kill it for me. Drumset does look nice though. Too bad it won't be compatible with RB. I don't think it will be a technical imcompatibility (at least not for 360, due to standards), but that the pads don't have the same layout.
Old 05-13-08, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by dvd182
I'll echo the "I'm not buying a second set of instruments" sentiments. If they don't allow compatibility with the Rock Band guitars I'll boycott the game on that alone. Both sides need to make everything work with everything, nobody loses that way.
And why in the world would they do that?

The only wise business choice for them is to make a better set with better features and interplay exclusive to the GH engine. There needs to be a clear line in the sand for each franchise. Personally I cant wait for GH4. I dont have RB.

What would be the best option is for GH to have compatability with limited function. If you have the GH sets then there are more options and better gameplay in essence. With the RB sets not so much, just basic interplay.
Old 05-13-08, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Shagrath
Drumset does look nice though. Too bad it won't be compatible with RB. I don't think it will be a technical imcompatibility (at least not for 360, due to standards), but that the pads don't have the same layout.
I'm a little irritated like others are. If the 2nd cymbal is orange and the bass pedal isn't designated a color, they've basically designed it where RB couldn't even patch in drum mapping to allow compatibility. That's annoying. I understand it with guitars to an extent, and I understand protecting a brand, but it's frustrating for an expensive peripheral.
Old 05-13-08, 09:22 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by FatTony
If this game doesn't support the Rock Band peripherals, that could prove to be very costly for the Guitar Hero franchise.
Except that far more people have the Guitar Hero peripherals and games than have the Rock Band ones.
Old 05-13-08, 09:31 AM
Banned

I wouldn't mind selling my Rock Band kit if this turns out to be "better" (i.e. - I like it more), but there is no way in hell I'm keeping two sets of video game instruments in my apartment.

Hopefully a 3rd party (The Ant Commandos) can produce peripherals that are compatible with both games, including all features. However unlikely, that would be the best solution.
Old 05-13-08, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Groucho
Except that far more people have the Guitar Hero peripherals and games than have the Rock Band ones.
Exactly.

If Activision does this right, RB is going to suffer a heck of alot. Especially if GH allows some form of limited functionality with the RB periphs.

I expect this to be THE Christmas item this year.
Old 05-13-08, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Kelkee
What would be the best option is for GH to have compatability with limited function. If you have the GH sets then there are more options and better gameplay in essence. With the RB sets not so much, just basic interplay.
I'd be okay with that, as long as the legacy guitars/instruments were at least functional.
Old 05-13-08, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
I actually prefer the setup of the GH drum controller. It's much closer to real drums than the RB is. And looks to be a ton better quality as well.
Old 05-13-08, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by dvd182
I'd be okay with that, as long as the legacy guitars/instruments were at least functional.
Agreed. That way, those of us who have invested in Rock Band (and its DLC) would still be willing to buy the game-only version of GH4, but Activision can successfully argue that there is an advantage to buying the GH4 instruments. Still, given the history between Activision/Red Octane and EA/Harmonix, I'm not holding my breath for any sort of compatibility.
Old 05-13-08, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by SonOfAStu
I wouldn't mind selling my Rock Band kit if this turns out to be "better" (i.e. - I like it more), but there is no way in hell I'm keeping two sets of video game instruments in my apartment.

Hopefully a 3rd party (The Ant Commandos) can produce peripherals that are compatible with both games, including all features. However unlikely, that would be the best solution.

For what it's worth, I was able to get $50 for mine off craigslist. Not sure or not if they are holding near the $80 retail price on ebay, but I didn't want to ship the set.
Old 05-13-08, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Any mention of a possible release date for this? I was getting ready to pull the trigger on Rock Band, but may wait if this isn't too far down the road.
Old 05-13-08, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
I had $160 worth of fun with Rock Band, so if GH4 comes out with better quality drum controllers, I'd be ready to move onward and upward.
Old 05-13-08, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Nosmo Rex
Any mention of a possible release date for this? I was getting ready to pull the trigger on Rock Band, but may wait if this isn't too far down the road.
Pull the trigger on RB. I saw one on craigslist this morning for $130 - Go get it! ;-)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.