DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   The Official GTA IV - multi console super friends thread - Part 2! (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/531237-official-gta-iv-multi-console-super-friends-thread-part-2-a.html)

ElementZ 05-12-08 12:31 PM

I have a question that I have noticed periodically.

Say if you have two people that you can do missions for, A and B. I noticed sometimes that B will be flashing on the map and A will be there also but not flashing. Is there any significance to this?

Groucho 05-12-08 12:34 PM

I think the flashing icon indicates a "NEW" mission. Usually this will be accompanied by a phone call or text message.

DaveWadding 05-12-08 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by Pharoh
Okay, I need a bit of help on the Liz-LJ-Snow mission, with a small rant included.

Spoiler:
So I go to the old hospital, snipe a few guys from a distance, and then proceed in and kill all the gang members. I take my time, get the body armor and finally pick up the package. My strategy was to wait and slowly shoot all of the police until I made it outside the hospital. Once outside I found the boat and outran the heat. I then made my way along the water to LJ. I make it to the street, low on health mind you, and start walking to LJ. (I was going to get some food somewhere if I found any.) Out of nowhere some street punk starts running from the police right by my area. I don't believe I did anything but apparently Niko tripped the police officer generating heat. In my attempt to run away I was hit by a car, meaning I failed the entire mission and had to start over from the beginning. (That was my rant on the absurdity of starting all the way over). So my question then is, is there a quick and easy way to get in and out of the hospital? Or do I really need to take most of the police before exiting? Thanks in advance.

Spoiler:
After you get the stuff, notice the way you came in. Go back to the left and down the 2nd hallway. You might end up killing half a dozen cops total, and once you get back outside the building, there's a truck waiting right there for you.

msdmoney 05-12-08 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by DaveWadding
Spoiler:
After you get the stuff, notice the way you came in. Go back to the left and down the 2nd hallway. You might end up killing half a dozen cops total, and once you get back outside the building, there's a truck waiting right there for you.

Spoiler:
This one frustrated me quite a bit too, I don't understand why the game didn't include simple checkpoints. Anyways, I found that if you slowly take out police, you will get swarmed eventually. It worked best for me to just run straight out of there to the truck, or I found it better to park a car next to the truck on my way in and take that out. The truck is slow and turns like crap.

I originally tried blowing up some of the barrels in the building to make another exit or searching for another exit, but that didn't work.

darkside 05-12-08 02:49 PM

I'm about 56% complete, but I'm stuck on two missions that of course involve chasing a car. So sick of that in this game. The one for the fixer seems easy I just screwed it up the first time, but the one for Bernie seems impossible. They are in a sports car and no matter how many bullets I put in it I can not stop them and eventually I crash and they escape. Guess I will figure it out at some point.

I do have a spoiler type question.
Spoiler:
So far I have only dated Michelle and Kate. Have I missed a bunch of other girls I should be dating? Also, is there any combination of cars, clothes or locations that gets Kate to put out?

Groucho 05-12-08 02:50 PM

One of the times I did that mission...
Spoiler:
I managed to evade the cops and hop in my escape vehicle -- but somehow got turned around and eventually found myself back at the hospital. :lol: Oops

Fandango 05-12-08 02:58 PM

The one for Bernie with them in the sports car, I chased them around for a good while and they eventually crashed themselves. From there it was pretty easy.

CKMorpheus 05-12-08 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by darkside
I'm about 56% complete, but I'm stuck on two missions that of course involve chasing a car. So sick of that in this game. The one for the fixer seems easy I just screwed it up the first time, but the one for Bernie seems impossible. They are in a sports car and no matter how many bullets I put in it I can not stop them and eventually I crash and they escape. Guess I will figure it out at some point.

I do have a spoiler type question.
Spoiler:
So far I have only dated Michelle and Kate. Have I missed a bunch of other girls I should be dating? Also, is there any combination of cars, clothes or locations that gets Kate to put out?

Just chase them, they'll crash eventually.

Spoiler:
Kate will never put out. Ever. There are 3 other women you can date. Two you meet online through that dating website, LoveMeet, another you meet on CrapList.

dvd182 05-12-08 03:13 PM

Yeah, practically every chase mission is set up so you go through the set pieces they've sprinkled throughout the course. Which is cool, as some pretty neat stuff will happen, but bad in that it's not like the other games where you can block their path and take them out before they get ahead.

bunkaroo 05-12-08 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by dvd182
Yeah, practically every chase mission is set up so you go through the set pieces they've sprinkled throughout the course. Which is cool, as some pretty neat stuff will happen, but bad in that it's not like the other games where you can block their path and take them out before they get ahead.

Thankfully I was able to take down the one guy you chase on the crotch rocket but laying in wait and locking on to gun him down as he whizzed by. I suck at driving the bikes so I had to end it that way.

Just about done with the main storyline now - one or two missions left.

Has anyone looked at their addiction level in the stats? Pretty funny descriptions there.

fumanstan 05-12-08 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by Matthew Ackerly
That's the mission I'm stuck on, it's really frustrating having to drive all the way from Elizabeta's to the hospital and go through all that and then I cant get away.

There should be checkpoints.

This one frustrated me too. I still recommend just taking cabs to get to place to place quickly.

The gang members were easy to take out, but I had a heck of a time escaping the cops and the 3 star wanted level. I finally just did what was mentioned earlier and didn't spend much time killing cops and just ran straight to the truck, drove a bit, dumped it off for a cop car, and tried to drive down straight roads as much I could. Probably took me like 8 tries.

darkside 05-12-08 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by CKMorpheus
Just chase them, they'll crash eventually.

Spoiler:
Kate will never put out. Ever. There are 3 other women you can date. Two you meet online through that dating website, LoveMeet, another you meet on CrapList.

Yeah, I passed it easy by just following and not shooting. I keep forgetting this game wants you to play it out their way and is not like older GTAs where you are always trying to find a quick way to end a mission. If I can just remember that I will be fine.

I'm working more and more on the friendship stuff now. I had no idea that ever character has a nice bonus option on the phone for you if you stay friendly with them until they started calling me and offering me stuff.

They have also mixed up the repetition a bit in some recent missions. Very cinema like things like hanging on to a moving vehicle and fighting for the steering while driving were very cool ideas to add to the game.

Decadance 05-12-08 06:07 PM

The Hostage Negotiation missing is driving me nuts.

CKMorpheus 05-12-08 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
Thankfully I was able to take down the one guy you chase on the crotch rocket but laying in wait and locking on to gun him down as he whizzed by. I suck at driving the bikes so I had to end it that way.

Just about done with the main storyline now - one or two missions left.

Has anyone looked at their addiction level in the stats? Pretty funny descriptions there.

My addiction level is "Buying in bulk"

jonw9 05-12-08 06:44 PM

Very cinema like things like hanging on to a moving vehicle and fighting for the steering while driving were very cool ideas to add to the game.

One time I was driving Roman home and parked too close to another car on the passenger side. Roman couldn't get out, so he punched me in the face and threw my out of the driver's side, then got out.

Another time I jacked a car with a passenger, and when i stopped to pay the toll, the chick ( -eek- ) got out and jacked the car. I think she was a hooker. Left me standing on the bridge with no ride! :lol:

jonw9 05-12-08 06:45 PM

My addiction level is "Buying in bulk"

I saw that, but addiction to what, playing the game? It seems like in the game he always avoids the drugs :shrug:

msdmoney 05-12-08 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by dvd182

I've noticed that too. One of the chase missions had some logs fall off a big truck on the freeway and some barrels fall out the back of a truck. It made for a great chase, but I had to repeat it when I crashed, and I realized it was scripted. Also once the scripted portion of the sequence ends, the car you are chasing changes from pedal to the medal, to driving like a grandma, and slams into everything in its path.

Anyone playing online tonight on the 360? I want to try out the multiplayer.

darkside 05-12-08 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by jonw9
One time I was driving Roman home and parked too close to another car on the passenger side. Roman couldn't get out, so he punched me in the face and threw my out of the driver's side, then got out.

Another time I jacked a car with a passenger, and when i stopped to pay the toll, the chick ( -eek- ) got out and jacked the car. I think she was a hooker. Left me standing on the bridge with no ride! :lol:

I'm constantly having things in this game happen that catch me off guard. The lady that voiced the GPS is guiding me to my destination. "Right 200 feet" then the sound that tells me its time to turn and so on. All of a sudden she gives the instruction, but instead of the sound effect she simple says "bing bong". Cracked me up.

I was also hanging out in the Honkers club when I noticed the strippers leaving out the front door. I go to see where they are going and two of them start sprinting away and get hit by a garbage truck. Liberty City is a really strange place.

BTW, Stuntman Mike with a hooker is a blast. Especially if you can send her through the windshield.

PopcornTreeCt 05-12-08 08:40 PM

BTW, Stuntman Mike with a hooker is a blast. Especially if you can send her through the windshield.

I wish the hookers could respond to the microphone when I tell them that "this car is 100% death proof"

uncle-frank 05-12-08 09:01 PM

Once a cheat is entered, it remains in your phone automatically. On the menu of your phone where it says "Phonebook" "Messages" "Options" "Multiplayer" etc, there will be a new section called "Cheats"

thanks. im not to fussy on achievement points so i dont mind using cheats. having a helecopter anytime i want is so much fun

astrochimp 05-12-08 09:11 PM

Ok im kinda new to the GTA world and im only about 15% in but now im pretty much outta money and got busted so i have no weapons.Whats the best way to get back in the game? Is there weapons hidden somewhere or do i hafta keep doing these little jobs or killling people on the street and earning bits at a time?

lordwow 05-12-08 09:25 PM

More sales info coming out:

Xbox got about 60% of sales, Ps3 got about 40%. Not even close to the #s we were predicting in here, 2:1 or more.

CKMorpheus 05-13-08 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by astrochimp
Ok im kinda new to the GTA world and im only about 15% in but now im pretty much outta money and got busted so i have no weapons.Whats the best way to get back in the game? Is there weapons hidden somewhere or do i hafta keep doing these little jobs or killling people on the street and earning bits at a time?

There are weapons hidden everywhere! Check out this Google Map for their locations: http://grandtheftauto.ign.com/maps/1/Liberty-City-Map

Also, avoid getting busted at all costs. Kill yourself but don't get busted, you keep your weapons when you get out of the hospital but if you get arrested you get nothing. I'm 92% through the game and I've only been busted once.

beesonosu 05-13-08 01:23 AM

^ Thanks for that link. I'll definitely bookmark but I'll have to resist at looking at it too much. I laughed when I selected "Pigeons" under "NPCs". It looks like they are practically everywhere but I've only managed to kill maybe a dozen halfway through the game. Though to my defense, I'm usually taking cabs or driving as fast as possible avoiding the police.

Astrochimp - Like Ck said, don't get busted to keep your weapons. As for the money, it'll come in truckloads a little farther down the line.

By the way, I learned the hard way today that your safehouse(s) disappear when you agree to do one of the side missions for Brucie. I didn't bother going back to the internet cafe to see if I could cancel the mission (or, for that matter, see if I could call him and cancel the mission). In retrospect, I should have because I ended up losing a really nice vehicle - a "gift" you could say. ;) I guess I could have also loaded the last saved point although I think I did too much before (and I know I've done too much after) to make it worthwhile. Don't make the same boneheaded move I did.

argh923 05-13-08 04:45 AM

When can you do the second Little Jacob mission? Just finished "Uncle Vlad" after doing LJ's first mission, but he's not available to do anything for.