DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   The Official GTA IV - multi console super friends thread - Part 2! (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/531237-official-gta-iv-multi-console-super-friends-thread-part-2-a.html)

PopcornTreeCt 06-04-08 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by Rival11
Also the story, I was really let down by it. Meet this random person...kill people for them....Meet this random person....kill people for them...and over and over and over again. Most of the characters never stuck around (what the hell was up with Manny? They could have left the idiot out of the game completely).

I was just expecting so much more but never got it. You're just dropped in the middle of everyone elses business and say "I'll take care of it" - kinda lame.

That's how I felt. He ends up doing work at the end with mafia guys that have no relevance to the story. When he ended up meeting with Bernie I had to remember how to connect the dots to the story. The only storyline in the game is Niko finding out who betrayed him. When you meet up with that guy I thought that was going to be the last mission. Instead the last mission is having to kill some mafia don that Niko just met a few missions ago. Why did Niko care so much about Kate? She never put out anyway. He should've gotten with Michelle, she was the least annoying and actually had a decent career.

FusionX 06-04-08 08:03 PM

I didn't like Kate at first, but if you take her out a lot and listen to her stories, you get to know her well. She might not put out, but she is a well developed character (for the space she is given) and a real effort is made to make the choice in the end between she and Roman a tough one. If you don't spend much time with her, then I can understand it, but she has some great conversations with Nico over time.

invisiblegt 06-05-08 01:14 PM

Having just beaten the game, I will say that the final mission is actually quite easy, and only takes a few minutes (not counting the drive over, obviously). I never died, but only failed it twice due to erroneous accidents on the bike (hitting a person and falling off/hitting a rock and flipping the bike).

That having been said, I didn't care at all about the story. Granted, I've never really cared about any story in any game, so I am not the best gauge for this.

I will continue playing, because the game itself is a lot of fun, and I need to do some of the smaller things (assasin, pigeons, etc.).

fumanstan 06-05-08 01:55 PM

I didn't care for Kate at all. I liked Kiki :) That and I thought she had the most useful perk.

dvd182 06-05-08 03:58 PM

Didn't see this posted yet, but the Take Two CEO told investors that the first bit of GTAIV DLC for Xbox 360 would be released in the first quarter of 2009. No word on DLC for the PS3.

First thoughts: Wow, that's a while from now...looking forward to it, though. If they hit the November part of that fiscal quarter target, it might not be too bad, but the end of January is a bit of a wait.

Groucho 06-05-08 03:59 PM

Hopefully that long wait will mean it's something special. By that time, everybody will have moved on from the game so it'll have to be pretty big for folks to come back.

dvd182 06-05-08 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by Groucho
Hopefully that long wait will mean it's something special. By that time, everybody will have moved on from the game so it'll have to be pretty big for folks to come back.

I agree. If they want this to stir up interest going against the big fall titles, it's probably going to have to be more than some extra missions.

fumanstan 06-05-08 04:02 PM

So much for the rumors that something was going to be ready by August.

PopcornTreeCt 06-05-08 06:18 PM

That means I can trade my game away now while it has some value then rebuy it for $20 next year. Sweet!

Drexl 06-05-08 06:41 PM

I noticed that another way to get 6 stars is to go to the safehouse in Alderney (and I'm sure there are other places like this). Stand at the top of the stairs, fire a shot or two to get the cops' attention, and point your gun down at the door. That's their only way in. Just shoot the cops and SWAT team guys as they walk in, one or two at a time. After five minutes or so, you'll get to 6 stars without difficulty, and you won't have to deal with any helicopters.

GoVegan 06-05-08 06:42 PM

I hope it's 300 extra pigeons!

Groucho 06-06-08 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by The Onion
Liberty City Police Face Allegations Of Incompetence, Brutality

LIBERTY CITY—With the city in the midst of a record crime wave, concerned citizens claim the Liberty City Police Department has done little to prevent the constant car chases, ongoing gun battles, and overall atmosphere of violence that pervade the area.

"I used to feel safe in Liberty City, but lately, it's been total mayhem," said night-shift worker Lola Del Rio, who spoke to reporters while sucking nervously on a red lollipop. "In the past week alone, I've been carjacked twice, run over 10 times, and witness to a half-dozen gunfights that ended with automobiles exploding. What are the police doing to stop all this?"
Enlarge Image Liberty City Cops

Officers respond to one of the 43,274 murders reported in the city last month.

Since the surge in crime, which began on April 28 at midnight, more than 830,000 civilians have been murdered—nearly one-tenth of Liberty City's total population. In addition, 35,000 vehicles have been reported stolen, many of which were then driven illegally over sidewalks and pedestrian walkways before plunging into the nearby Humboldt River. And according to startling figures released by local community action group Citizens for a Safer City, drug trafficking has become rampant and prostitution has increased by 800 percent.

"I was shot 14 times on my way to work today, including twice by police," said one Algonquin-area resident. "That is unacceptable."

Many blame the LCPD directly for the increase in criminal activity, citing the department's lax procedure for arresting criminals, which involves taking 10 percent of the suspect's money, confiscating his weapons, and simply releasing him from custody later that day. Outraged citizens say this is not enough, especially in a city where assault rifles can be found on factory roofs and grenade caches are located under the globe at the old World's Fair site.

"The police just let them go, and 20 minutes later they're shooting at the very same criminals from helicopters," veteran crime reporter Mike Whiteley said. "That is not proper law enforcement. We may be seeing a return to the bad old days of 2002, when the police, the FIB, and even Army tank battalions would leave countless bodies on the streets while attempting to capture just one man on some sort of joyful mass-destruction spree."

Perhaps even more alarming, city records indicate that more than 75 percent of perpetrators in mass-murder or vehicular-manslaughter cases escape, usually by simple methods such as driving into a car-repainting facility. Criminals have even eluded pursuit by walking into their apartment and going to bed for six hours, after which the search has been called off.

However, one LCPD official, who wished to remain anonymous, blamed the recent crime wave on the police department's lack of proper equipment.

"We are only equipped to pursue a suspect within a small radius on a very basic half-centimeter radar screen," the officer said. "If we were allowed to seek criminals who escaped this radius for more than 15 seconds, our results would improve dramatically."

"And to those who say the LCPD is too quick to resort to deadly force, remember that almost 850,000 police officers, FIB agents, and N.O.O.S.E. [National Office of Security Enforcement] team members have died in the line of duty in the past month," he added.

Nonetheless, residents say that their confidence in the Liberty City police force—low in the best of times—has eroded almost completely.

"I was buying a hot dog from a street vendor in Hove Beach yesterday when I saw someone run a red light, barrel down the sidewalk, careen into a garbage truck, exit his vehicle, steal a nearby convertible, and drive away," one Broker resident reported. "A nearby police car didn't even react. But when the car behind him nicked his fender, the officer shot the driver through the windshield and walked away."

"That is not the kind of law enforcement we want for our community," he added.

Most admit that the problem is not a lack of police presence, as the LCPD currently operates 15 different police stations throughout the city's four boroughs, and there is a seemingly infinite number of officers on duty at all times to respond to reported crimes. However, citizens say the officers' "shoot-first" mentality and willingness to accept bribes only contributes to the city's widespread violence and corruption.

"It's almost as if the cops in this town are as much an adversarial faction as the criminals," said public defender Kiki Jenkins, who is rumored to be instrumental in recent incidents of police being inexplicably pulled from chases and criminal pursuit. "Sure, we have excellent radio stations and an incredible range of things to see and do here. But if I were younger, I'd move to Mario World in a second."

http://www.theonion.com/content/news...ty_police_face

mrpayroll 06-06-08 11:18 AM

http://www.xbox360fanboy.com/2008/06...ease-date-set/

GTA IV DLC delayed, new release date set
Posted Jun 5th 2008 11:30PM by Terrence Stasse

Now that GTA IV has been out for enough time to have gamers get a good handle on its workings, one would think that it'd be the time to release good news about the $50 million worth of content that was supposed to lure gamers to the 360 version. Instead, the exclusive DLC episodes will hitting in the first quarter of fiscal year 2009 (which actually begins in 2008). Specifically, the new release window for the DLC is November 1st 2008 to January 31st 2009, and funnily enough that's about all the specifics there is on it. See, this is where there should've been an announcement of good news! And with this fall being as full as any other in the industry just how popular will a GTA IV DLC purchase be then?
Chris

aktick 06-06-08 11:41 AM

rotfl

RockStrongo 06-06-08 12:17 PM

Greatness

Deftones 06-06-08 12:38 PM

I am so pissed off. Was playing team deathmatch last night with a buddy. Teams of 2 with the other teams being random people. He's like "hey, I got an achievement just now" He didn't look until later. He got the "kill a Rockstar employee" one and I didn't. :mad:

Deftones 06-06-08 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by Drexl
I noticed that another way to get 6 stars is to go to the safehouse in Alderney (and I'm sure there are other places like this). Stand at the top of the stairs, fire a shot or two to get the cops' attention, and point your gun down at the door. That's their only way in. Just shoot the cops and SWAT team guys as they walk in, one or two at a time. After five minutes or so, you'll get to 6 stars without difficulty, and you won't have to deal with any helicopters.

Thank you.

Groucho 06-06-08 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by Deftones
I am so pissed off. Was playing team deathmatch last night with a buddy. Teams of 2 with the other teams being random people. He's like "hey, I got an achievement just now" He didn't look until later. He got the "kill a Rockstar employee" one and I didn't. :mad:

It's a viral achievement, so all you have to do know is kill your buddy.

Mordred 06-06-08 12:56 PM

In real life.

fumanstan 06-06-08 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by Mordred
In real life.

:lol:

aktick 06-06-08 03:39 PM

Which means every DVDTalker should eventually get it, unless Deftones is indestructible. -ptth-

Deftones 06-06-08 03:42 PM

Actually, upon closer inspection, I got the achievement, too. The thing didn't pop up but when I logged in this morning, I had it.

timewaster 06-07-08 10:53 AM

anybody use brucie's helicopter?
it seems kind of useless and more burdensome to use than roman's cab service.

Rival11 06-07-08 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by timewaster
anybody use brucie's helicopter?
it seems kind of useless and more burdensome to use than roman's cab service.

I've just been having a blast with the cheats now that I beat the game. It's funny when you spawn a chopper or boat right in the middle street. If they land on certain people, they'll get up, run over, and strat fighting you :lol:

The Chopper is pretty useless but just damn fun to fly and jump out of.

darkside 06-07-08 01:05 PM

One of the better Onion articles.

I have to ask though, is Lola Del Rio really in the game or is she the Big Foot of GTA IV?

Rival11 06-07-08 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by darkside
One of the better Onion articles.

I have to ask though, is Lola Del Rio really in the game or is she the Big Foot of GTA IV?

She's in the game, she hangs out by Brucie's house - you actually take her on a chopper ride (with Brucie) at one point in the game. Other than that.......just "honk your horn" around Brucie's house.

darkside 06-07-08 03:44 PM

She's in the game, she hangs out by Brucie's house - you actually take her on a chopper ride (with Brucie) at one point in the game. Other than that.......just "honk your horn" around Brucie's house.

Ok. Then I have run into her. I just didn't realize she was the lolipop chick on the cover.

RockStrongo 06-07-08 07:41 PM

Spoiler:
On the last mission (Out of Commission) to get Pegarino, once your in the helicopter, can you just fly it or do you have to stay close to the boat like it says? I read somewhere that no matter how many times you shoot it, it doesnt hurt his boat. Im just curious if I should focus on just flying and avoiding the rockets or if I really have to keep the heli low towards his boat? Ive crashed it twice now, so it sucks!!

PopcornTreeCt 06-07-08 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by RockStrongo
Spoiler:
On the last mission (Out of Commission) to get Pegarino, once your in the helicopter, can you just fly it or do you have to stay close to the boat like it says? I read somewhere that no matter how many times you shoot it, it doesnt hurt his boat. Im just curious if I should focus on just flying and avoiding the rockets or if I really have to keep the heli low towards his boat? Ive crashed it twice now, so it sucks!!

Just manage not to crash your helicopter.

Rival11 06-07-08 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by RockStrongo
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Just keep going full speed ahead if you get hit by one rocket- just keep going (keep the right trigger pressed) the cut scene will take over a few moments after

fumanstan 06-08-08 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by Drexl

This worked like a charm for me.

Rival11 06-08-08 12:55 PM

Ok, I'm definitely loving this game even more now that I beat it. I have all the cheats enabled (love how they just store in your phone):

I was playing for a little while last night when I received a notification that my date with Carmen was coming up - I took her out and she's hilarious (I will prob dump her though for lawchick).

As many of you have already seen, when your just walking down the street you will see a cop chasing a criminal. Well I was just standing outside a resturant when I saw this happening and the criminal ran by me, then hid behind a chair on the patio of the resturant so the cop wouldn't see him (bent down and everything) :lol: well the cop did and arrested him, walked him over to a police car, they both got in and since the cop car smashed into a street sign when it tried taking off, they just sat there spinning the tires and never went anywhere - then, the cop in the back seat with the criminal he just arressted started claping his hands to the music while the cop driving was bopping his head back and forth to it while trying to move the car :lol: it was so funny because it all played out so smoothly.

The second criminal that tried to hide ran into me and fell down and the cop said "thanks buddy, glad to see there is still some decent people in this shit city" :lol:

I have ran into numerous mini missions as well (completely separate from the extras) I ran into a guy at the triangle (times square) who was talking about hip hop it went to a cut scene of him talking to me about how all new hip hop sucks he shakes your hand then walks off then the prompt comes up to go help him because he's getting his ass kicked across the street I went over and shot the two dudes beating him up - then just had the game save the little mission.

I ended up passing by the girls house who you kidnapped earlier on - she starts freaking out and yelling and you end up having to take out about 5 or 6 dudes.

I ran into Dwayne's girlfriend and had to go take out her boyfriend around the corner.

and there are a few more things I already ran into. I've never played a game this long after beating it but I will continue and maybe even complete all the assassin missions (when I need the money).

Deftones 06-08-08 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by fumanstan
This worked like a charm for me.

I tried that, but got popped by a cop that ducked and covered in the door frame with his shotgun. Do you stand at the top of the staircase? Crouch or stand?

PopcornTreeCt 06-08-08 04:56 PM

Ok, I'm definitely loving this game even more now that I beat it. I have all the cheats enabled (love how they just store in your phone):

I was playing for a little while last night when I received a notification that my date with Carmen was coming up - I took her out and she's hilarious (I will prob dump her though for lawchick).

As many of you have already seen, when your just walking down the street you will see a cop chasing a criminal. Well I was just standing outside a resturant when I saw this happening and the criminal ran by me, then hid behind a chair on the patio of the resturant so the cop wouldn't see him (bent down and everything) :lol: well the cop did and arrested him, walked him over to a police car, they both got in and since the cop car smashed into a street sign when it tried taking off, they just sat there spinning the tires and never went anywhere - then, the cop in the back seat with the criminal he just arressted started claping his hands to the music while the cop driving was bopping his head back and forth to it while trying to move the car :lol: it was so funny because it all played out so smoothly.

The second criminal that tried to hide ran into me and fell down and the cop said "thanks buddy, glad to see there is still some decent people in this shit city" :lol:

I have ran into numerous mini missions as well (completely separate from the extras) I ran into a guy at the triangle (times square) who was talking about hip hop it went to a cut scene of him talking to me about how all new hip hop sucks he shakes your hand then walks off then the prompt comes up to go help him because he's getting his ass kicked across the street I went over and shot the two dudes beating him up - then just had the game save the little mission.

I ended up passing by the girls house who you kidnapped earlier on - she starts freaking out and yelling and you end up having to take out about 5 or 6 dudes.

I ran into Dwayne's girlfriend and had to go take out her boyfriend around the corner.

and there are a few more things I already ran into. I've never played a game this long after beating it but I will continue and maybe even complete all the assassin missions (when I need the money).

Those are meet random character missions. They are pretty cool.

Draven 06-08-08 05:42 PM

This is pretty funny (sorry if it's a repost, I hadn't seen it)

<object width="325" height="300">
<param name="movie" value="http://www.gamesradar.com/video/ext/v-2008060611222593060"></param>
<param name="wmode" value="window"></param>
<param name="allowFullScreen" value="false"></param>
<embed src="http://www.gamesradar.com/video/ext/v-2008060611222593060" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="window" allowFullScreen="false" width="325" height="300"></embed>
</object>

darkside 06-08-08 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by Draven

Saw that on Digg and I thought it was great. I hadn't even thought of taking a car on the roller coaster track.

Rival11 06-08-08 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by Draven

<object width="325" height="300">
<param name="movie" value="http://www.gamesradar.com/video/ext/v-2008060611222593060"></param>
<param name="wmode" value="window"></param>
<param name="allowFullScreen" value="false"></param>
<embed src="http://www.gamesradar.com/video/ext/v-2008060611222593060" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="window" allowFullScreen="false" width="325" height="300"></embed>
</object>

:lol: I've never thought about doing half that stuff.

fumanstan 06-08-08 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by Deftones
I tried that, but got popped by a cop that ducked and covered in the door frame with his shotgun. Do you stand at the top of the staircase? Crouch or stand?

I was at the top, crouched. It took a couple tries though. I ended up making sure I was filled up with armor and ammo. Even threw a few grenades and launched a few rockets when there were some groups of guys. Even at the end I barely made it.

DRG 06-09-08 10:19 AM

That Police Squad video was brilliant.

I'm having a problem with the 'Under the Radar' achievement. My game has simply stopped registering the bridges. I've went under 12/14 bridges, and I knew which ones I hadn't done (both in Alderney... because the cops shot me down when I was attempting them due to the fact I hadn't unlocked the island at that point) yet since unlocking that island I've went under all four of those bridges several times and get nothing. I can't even get the 'bridge icons' to appear on my map when I'm going under bridges anymore. I think this may be a glitch. I wonder if I can use an older gamesave to try this one again?

PopcornTreeCt 06-09-08 08:42 PM

I didn't even know there was a roller coaster in the game.