Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

SingStar PS3 - May 20th

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-08, 11:49 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've done more calling/looking around today and apparently the guy at Target yesterday didn't know what he was talking about because no one else has seen this on their shelves yet.
Old 05-21-08, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
Cool, so I was actually right one time this week. Kickass.
Old 05-21-08, 07:41 PM
Banned

Well, Best Buy and Target still didn't have any in today. Gamestop had them out. I actually carried one to the counter but when I realized the open game on the shelf was the one they were actually going to sell me, as NEW, I laughed in his face and walked out.

What the hell are they thinking opening up all the new games before putting them out for sale?
Old 05-21-08, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by SonOfAStu
Well, Best Buy and Target still didn't have any in today. Gamestop had them out. I actually carried one to the counter but when I realized the open game on the shelf was the one they were actually going to sell me, as NEW, I laughed in his face and walked out.

What the hell are they thinking opening up all the new games before putting them out for sale?
This will never stop irritating me. The worst part is the one time I tried to return one of these so called "new" games they hassled me because it was open. I told them if that was an issue they should stop opening new product.

Anyway, my wife loves Sing Star and definitely wants the PS3 version. Hopefully stores will have it in this weekend.
Old 05-21-08, 09:53 PM
Banned

Best Buy said they'll have it tomorrow.
Old 05-22-08, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by DVDChris
Pretty much what Shagrath said. There are times when I think I know a song, but then my pitch is off.

I just saw in the IGN review that finally you can turn the lead vocals off. I may have to rent this game to see for myself.
Wha? How do you turn off the lead vocals? I've pressed every button and can only adjust the mic volume. Wonder if it's in the options menu or something.

I'm not too impressed with the game. First of all, I couldn't even get online because it required an update download. For some reason, it would never complete the download (it would keep getting a connection error after downloading 10% - pretty sure it wasn't my internet connection)

Second, I feel that there is a slight delay in the mic to the speakers. It makes it tough to sing. Anyone know if there is a way to adjust the delay?

And finally, the static tone bar. I've played other versions of Singstar before and this system is awful (unless you are a great singer who knows the song very well). I prefer Karaoke Revolutions pitch scroll.

Maybe when I'm actually able to get online and see the downloadable content I'll change my mind, but I'm currently not the biggest fan of Singstar. I'll take Karaoke Revolution over this any day.
Old 05-22-08, 08:06 AM
Banned

Where did you get it at?
Old 05-22-08, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Just order it from Amazon. No tax and free shipping sounds good to me.
Old 05-22-08, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Shilex
And finally, the static tone bar. I've played other versions of Singstar before and this system is awful (unless you are a great singer who knows the song very well). I prefer Karaoke Revolutions pitch scroll.

Maybe when I'm actually able to get online and see the downloadable content I'll change my mind, but I'm currently not the biggest fan of Singstar. I'll take Karaoke Revolution over this any day.
Agreed.

BTW, not sure where to turn off the vocals, just the IGN review said you could. I don't have the game yet, so can't check myself.
Old 05-22-08, 12:56 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
Just order it from Amazon. No tax and free shipping sounds good to me.

Brilliant idea. Unless of course you want to give it to someone for their Birthday this weekend. Thanks anyway.
Old 05-22-08, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
Originally Posted by SonOfAStu
Brilliant idea. Unless of course you want to give it to someone for their Birthday this weekend. Thanks anyway.
Create a new account, register for the free Amazon Prime trial, get it shipped overnight for $3.99 (Order before 6:00 PM EST to guarantee it's shipped today). Order MGS4 and some Blu-ray movies w/ free 2nd day shipping. Cancel Amazon Prime account within 30 days. Done.

I'm on my 3rd trial since the program started, I need to just bite the bullet and subscribe, but $80 is just so much money for... shipping. Even though I know I'd save in the long run.
Old 05-22-08, 02:06 PM
Banned

No thanks. I'll just get it at Best Buy today. They seem to be in stock according to the website.
Old 05-24-08, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts
The speaker/mic delay and the vocals on/off settings are both in the options menu. The vocals on/off stuff doesn't work for all songs... I think it digitally tries to remove the vocals from the tracks (which obviously weren't re-recorded just for this game) and it apparently works better on some songs than on others.

The 30 included songs seems very light (we're a Karaoke Revolution house, and this is our first stab at Singstar). It's cool that there are over 200 songs to download, but:

1. The downloads only work while Singstar is being played. There is no background downloading, and it doesn't even use the same cart as the regular PS3 store, so if you quit out of the game, you can't finish downloading the songs.
2. Maybe this is expected, but it seems to be mainly European hits. They certainly have access to some great artists, but I'd think the songs that would attract an American audience aren't on there, at least not yet.

KR is a better single player game: there are no unlockables in Singstar at all. Also, I have a really hard time adapting to the way they separate the lyrics and the pitch.

In theory, the interface is so basic that they could just add content endlessly, but I think we all know that eventually another Singstar is going to come out and they'll stop updating this version. Ugh.
Old 06-03-08, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Picked this up yesterday. It's the first karaoke game that I've owned, although I've played the Revolutions games several times with friends. I like it so far, although I agree that the separation of the lyrics and the pitch is a serious pain unless you know the song very well. Also agree that unlockables would add a lot of replay value for single player mode.

I don't regret buying the game at all, though. I like the way the game is set up as far as menus and the real videos playing behind the song rather than having a pointless animated character standing on stage. The online stuff is fun so far. I'm hoping they add a LOT more songs eventually, although I didn't have a problem finding some that I wanted - I downloaded 19 new ones last night.
Old 06-03-08, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I rented this assuming I could use any USB microphones with it, but apparently you need the proprietary Singstar microphones, which is pretty damned annoying. Sent it right back.
Old 06-03-08, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

They seem to be adding songs at a pretty good pace.

With two players, it seems like player one is at a big disadvantage unless he knows the lyrics really well, since his pitch is at the top and the lyrics are all the way at the bottom of the screen. Unless there's a way to change this, which I didn't see.

Also, some of those really old videos are... dated. Are any of the videos, even the recent ones, in HD?
Old 06-06-08, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Does anyone know exactly how the releasing of songs works? Are there scheduled updates that include several songs at once, or do they just throw a new one out there every so often? And is there a list of upcoming songs anywhere?
Old 06-06-08, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MoviePage
Does anyone know exactly how the releasing of songs works? Are there scheduled updates that include several songs at once, or do they just throw a new one out there every so often? And is there a list of upcoming songs anywhere?
I don't own the game, but I believe that it's just one (maybe two) update(s) a month of like 50 songs. I see them listed out on other forums from time to time.
Old 07-30-08, 03:40 PM

My wife loves the KR series of games, and having picked up a PS3 recently, she's very interested in this game. However, we were at the store looking at all of the existing SingStar games for the PS2, and I was wondering: Are those songs on the PS2 versions already available as downloadable content for the PS3 SingStar? I tried going into the PlayStation Store and looking for PS3 SingStar content, but after going through just about every menu option I could find, I came up with zilch.

Basically, I'm trying to decide if I should go with PS3 SingStar or look into the various PS2 versions, as those have way more songs she's interested in.

Thanks!
Old 07-30-08, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

There are something like 275 songs available. I usually look here for updates:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...d.php?t=181320

I haven't played the PS2 ones, but from comments on that board, not all the songs in the PS2 versions are on the PS3 one.

Also, the singstar songs are only downloadable from within the game itself.

I like the PS3 one fine, though if you're unsure I'd maybe pick up a cheaper PS2 version somewhere to try it out... it is a different style from KR. Also, mics are compatible between versions, though I've never seen a PS3 singstar sold without the mics.
Old 07-31-08, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by fujishig
though I've never seen a PS3 singstar sold without the mics.
they sell the game by itself at most stores for $39.99. singstar game only