Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Mirror's Edge (360, PS3, PC)

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-08, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I played the demo and it was pretty enjoyable. It seemed like a first person crackdown. The combat was a bit of a let-down though. Also weird how the enemies will only melee you when you're close just so you can take their gun.
Old 11-03-08, 01:31 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I've been interested in this game since it was announced. I've got the demo downloading now, and hopefully will enjoy it. As others have said, provided it's not a 5-6 hour game, I'll get it.
Old 11-03-08, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts
Loved the demo - if the full game can keep up that quality while mixing things up, injecting some variety for a satisfying product, it could very well be game-of-the-year material.

It had fun/puzzle elements similar to something out of Portal.
Old 11-03-08, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts
Old 11-03-08, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just played through the demo last night. I'm really surprised how well they pulled off a first person platforming game. They did a great job of keeping the motion fluid, even with just learning the controls I could usually keep myself moving forward. It goes a long way in this game to make the action tense, and makes you feel like you really are running from or to something.

I think I am still going to wait for a good deal on the game, I just have too much to play already. But I think I might bite for $40 rather than my usual $30.
Old 11-04-08, 06:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm really impressed with the demo. I always felt like I could be moving. Good job programmers.
Old 11-06-08, 07:12 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by Cosmic Bus
I didn't care for the demo at all, with the controls being the main culprit. They felt very unintuitive to me, having to use the triggers for everything and their uses changing due to the context-sensitive nature of the gameplay.
I finally played the demo last night and enjoyed it. I'll nab it on sale/price drop down the road like everyone else, but what the fuck is up with 'jump' being mapped to the left bumper? Was the 'A' button too intuitive for them?
Old 11-06-08, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
but what the fuck is up with 'jump' being mapped to the left bumper? Was the 'A' button too intuitive for them?
Just a guess but I think maybe it was mapped this way so that you never have to take your thumbs off of the sticks to do basic movements. In the demo the only time you need to take your thumbs off the sticks is in combat.
Old 11-06-08, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,083 Likes on 657 Posts
I played it last night and it almost seemed revolutionary. It just seems so new and fresh. I fucking loved it!

The combat looks like it will take some getting used to but when you get going and you are jumping, sliding, and almost flying around...it feels fantastic. The controls seem quite intuitive and it was just a blast to play that first level after the training session.

Cannot wait for this one!
Old 11-06-08, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
I thought the button mapping was a little weird, and I'm not sure if I like it. Maybe with more practice I would get used to it. Overally I won't bite at full price, but maybe at $30 if it gets positive reviews.
Old 11-06-08, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I was whelmed. Couldn't get the controls right on the PS3 demo with the catwalk between buildings. After the 9th or 10th try I uninstalled.
Old 11-06-08, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Loved the demo. No motion sickness and no issues with the controls. I pre-ordered at Amazon with the $10 BillMeLater promo and the $10 gift certificate offer. I also got the code to unlock time trial mode in the demo, which is a lot of fun too. I am really excited for the full game.
Old 11-06-08, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by shumway
I was whelmed. Couldn't get the controls right on the PS3 demo with the catwalk between buildings. After the 9th or 10th try I uninstalled.
Just so you know, for the catwalk/balance portion, the motion controls are optional. You can just balance yourself with the left analog stick. I tried the motion controls once, hated them, and then used the analog stick with no problems at all.
Old 11-06-08, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by shumway
you dont need to use the motion controls, i just used the analog stick and never died there
Old 11-06-08, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
Yeah, it's a little counter-intuitive using both left bumper and left trigger for jumping motions - right and left would be easier (hopefully we can remap later) - still, very interesting. Definitely on my list for the future - but not release day.
Old 11-08-08, 05:35 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,820 Likes on 1,132 Posts
I played the 360 demo and all I can say is...I hate this game; but I love this game too!!!

I had some serious trial and error moments that made me want to throw my controller but once things started working I was totally into this game. It's not perfect; but not only is it really addictive, it looks really cool and the music is perfect.

I really want this game!

Last edited by Giantrobo; 11-08-08 at 05:38 AM.
Old 11-08-08, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
The only trouble spot for me that got real annoying was dropping from the first zip line onto the rooftop. For some reason it took almost a dozen tries to land on that damn platform. Something about being in first person and judging the trajectory of the fall was just throwing me off, big time.
Old 11-16-08, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
Just got around to playing the demo myself. Definitely a $30 pickup for me. Had fun with it but can't see spending $60.

Surprisingly it did not make me sick. Last game that did that was Resistance: FOM.
Old 11-16-08, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Yeah I'd wait for a price drop. I picked it up for $20 with the trade in deal at the "Evil" Gamestop. It may be relatively short if you're a talented gamer and can always get it right the first time, but for the rest of us it'll probably last a bit longer. One thing I'll say is so far it's been one of the few new games that has really been able to get my adrenaline going while playing.
Old 11-16-08, 04:49 PM
DVD & Video Game Reviewer

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Yeah I'd wait for a price drop. I picked it up for $20 with the trade in deal at the "Evil" Gamestop. It may be relatively short if you're a talented gamer and can always get it right the first time, but for the rest of us it'll probably last a bit longer. One thing I'll say is so far it's been one of the few new games that has really been able to get my adrenaline going while playing.
I definitely agree. I just started playing it on Friday and I'm already on the last chapter after a few hours with it. It's a lot of fun though and I'm glad I picked it up as it's one of those games that is a blast on multiple plays. I will say that I'm not a fan of the combat in the game and situations where you're forced to fight are easily the weakest. Boss battles, machine gun toting security guards, and ninja cops are the bane of my existence. I really hope EA supports the game with download content such as new stages and whatnot.
Old 11-17-08, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Dragon Fly
I definitely agree. I just started playing it on Friday and I'm already on the last chapter after a few hours with it. It's a lot of fun though and I'm glad I picked it up as it's one of those games that is a blast on multiple plays. I will say that I'm not a fan of the combat in the game and situations where you're forced to fight are easily the weakest. Boss battles, machine gun toting security guards, and ninja cops are the bane of my existence. I really hope EA supports the game with download content such as new stages and whatnot.

Did you sign up for the Time Trials? I would love to do it but I just haven't got around to it. To be honest, I HATE time trials in games but for some reason it seems like it would be a fun challenge here. I agree with you on the fight thing. In fact, it's the only thing that pulls the game down in my opinion.
Old 11-17-08, 09:04 AM

Did you sign up for the Time Trials? I would love to do it but I just haven't got around to it. To be honest, I HATE time trials in games but for some reason it seems like it would be a fun challenge here. I agree with you on the fight thing. In fact, it's the only thing that pulls the game down in my opinion.
Oh man, here's a rant.

Yes, I signed up for the time trials and completed a few of them. I also did some Speed Runs after beating the game, started going back to find the bags, and started going through the game on "Hard". While doing a Time Trial, the Xbox Live server decided to disconnect me while EA was saving my information. Now my save file is corrupted (it doesn't say it is, but the game will not register it).

I lost all my progress though the Mirror's Edge save data still appears on the HDD. The game will also not save new information, because I'm assuming it still recognizes the data there. If I beat stages and go back to the main menu the information is gone. The weird part is my times for time trials are still posted and I still have stars for completing them.... I have no idea what to do! I guess I can erase the save data from the HDD and start over, but I'd rather it not come to that
Old 11-17-08, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Oh man that sucks big time. I don't know what one can do about corrupted data.
Old 11-17-08, 12:23 PM

Oh man that sucks big time. I don't know what one can do about corrupted data.
Delete the file and start all over again, that's what

The good part is that, knowing what I know about the game, this time around is going really fast. I'm already on Chapter 6 after starting about an hour or so ago.
Old 11-19-08, 02:22 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Such a mediocre game. I'm glad I rented it, instead of spending $60 on a game I wouldn't end up liking. I had high hopes for it, but I've had a problem getting into it. It bored me at about the 3 hour mark and I just want to finish it quickly now.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.