Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

GameStop is Vile and Disgusting Part XXVII

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-09, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Re: GameStop is Vile and Disgusting Part XXVII

Originally Posted by RocShemp
The only problem I see with that is they'll probably give you very little in exchange for your guns.
If you compared the exchange with their average video game trade-in prices, they would probably just use your gun to shoot you after you sign it away.
Old 03-12-09, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love that this thread continues to live.
Old 03-12-09, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I don't think I've supported Gamestop in the past two years.
Old 03-12-09, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by The Bus
I had to buy Impossible Mission ($10 Gamestop Exclusive) and Retro Game Challenge (no one else had it and I needed it that day).

Oh, and Rock Band Track Pack Vol 2 for $0.99 on Black Friday (I returned the required RB2 purchase for the full $60 the same day ).
Old 03-12-09, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

3 for me.
Old 03-12-09, 09:23 AM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by pinata242
I had to buy Impossible Mission ($10 Gamestop Exclusive)
Wait ... what?

[surfs over to wikipedia, sees that they've ported the classic Commodore 64platformer to the DS, and starts feverishly looking at the clock wondering if it's OK to leave the office first thing in the morning and go to Gamestop]
Old 03-12-09, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm not a huge fan of the store either, but starting this weekend they are having another buy 2 get 1 free on all used games. Might be worth checking out.
Old 03-12-09, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I definitely dig the B2G1 on used games that they do from time to time, and have an EDGE card just for those occasions.

I will also pre-order there when they have exclusive content as a bonus. My most recent purchases have been Trivial Pursuit (which I picked up today, WITH plastic wrap!) that had bonus DLC (video game category, not the free movie one from the Marketplace). I also grabbed Skate2 in January with a free T-Shirt (Etnies brand, very nice quality).
Old 03-12-09, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Shagrath
Trivial Pursuit (which I picked up today, WITH plastic wrap!) that had bonus DLC (video game category, not the free movie one from the Marketplace).
If you don't mind, will you give impressions on this somewhere. I'm sort of interested, but not sure if I can spend the coin on it.
Old 03-12-09, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't supported exactly, but I have "used" (and abused) them flipping games back and forth between GS and BBV...I've accumulated a large amount of credit, 40+ games and will be picking up my RE5 Elite tomorrow, all at no cost out of pocket.

FYI... B2G1 free this weekend, time to track down MLB 09
Old 03-12-09, 01:31 PM
Banned

Ditto. Since they stopped selling movies they lost me as a customer.
Old 03-12-09, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Groucho
What I don't understand is this: what are people doing with these? I keep my games in the case, and I've never lost a manual or a cover. For example, I've still got my Zelda Toot gold cartridge in pristine condition, including manual and box.
I still cringe when I think back to the time when I was a teenager and traded all my pristine, boxed NES games with manuals to a game store for a used Super Nintendo and a few games without boxes or manuals. The guy even said, "You know, we can't give you any extra money for the boxes or manuals, do you want to hang onto them?" and I said no.

On and off again, I'm slowly re-buying my favorite classic NES titles like I had them back then. Probably for five to ten times what I sold them for in the first place.
Old 03-12-09, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

Judging from the number of no box/manual auctions on Ebay, I'm convinced the majority of manuals burst into flames as soon as the game is opened. The case then spontaneously combusts shortly after that.

If you somehow manage to save these items from imminent destruction, there's a good chance you can get more money for them in an auction. For example, I once sold a rare Atari 2600 catridge of Crazy Climber. Since it had the box and manual, the bidding actually passed $700. Another cartridge of Gravitar (the silver label release which is more rare - hey, I don't make these rules) sold with box and manual for $350.

These are extreme examples, but even the most common games that are well cared for will earn you far more on Ebay than as a GameStop trade-in.
Old 03-12-09, 10:58 PM
Mok
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I just think manuals are good reading material. Most end up falling in the toilet.
Old 03-13-09, 01:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by Dean Kousoulas
If you compared the exchange with their average video game trade-in prices, they would probably just use your gun to shoot you after you sign it away.
Is that before or after they billed me for the rounds they used to shoot me?
Old 03-13-09, 02:51 AM

Originally Posted by Breakfast with Girls
I still cringe when I think back to the time when I was a teenager and traded all my pristine, boxed NES games with manuals to a game store for a used Super Nintendo and a few games without boxes or manuals. The guy even said, "You know, we can't give you any extra money for the boxes or manuals, do you want to hang onto them?" and I said no.

On and off again, I'm slowly re-buying my favorite classic NES titles like I had them back then. Probably for five to ten times what I sold them for in the first place.
Similar experience here. At least I was able to recover 95% of my Sega Genesis collection in one fell swoop when some grandma put some poor kid's entire collection on eBay for a ridiculously low buyout. Miraculously, all boxed and with manuals. I miss Genesis game cases...those things could survive nuclear war.

Getting complete NES and SNES games in good condition is much trickier.
Old 03-13-09, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I have no idea where my NES and SNES manuals are. The box I definitely never kept.
Old 03-13-09, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

When I was buying back old SNES cartridges that I had foolishly sold off, I was able to get the manuals for many of the games from Nintendo's website for free. Of course, this was more than 10 years ago, and they don't do this any more.
Old 03-13-09, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I still have most of my NES and SNES games, I know Iused to throw the boxes out. But have no idea what I did with the manuals. still have chrono trigger manual for some reason.
Old 03-13-09, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by kaze0
still have chrono trigger manual for some reason.
But do you have the two maps it came with?
Old 03-13-09, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I still buy at GS from time to time. I bought KZ2 there, I preordered to get early access to the demo (yeah, I knew about the euro account "trick"), and still bought the game there. GS is one block from my home, so I can make a really quick trip there and get whatever I want. Most of my VG shopping is through amazon, but sometimes I give me the luxury of buying at GS.
Old 03-14-09, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been in a Gamestop twice recently, and I feel it only fair to point out that my experience there was fine. The clerk dude was pretty knowledgeable and not pushy at all. Granted, that should be the norm, but this one branch provided me with a good shopping experience.

I still hate some of their used game pricing though. Used copies of Call of Duty 4 are marked $55. Grid is $45. That just seems a little wonky to me. But I guess if people are still paying that price, who am I to say they should charge less.

Still, it makes the B2G1 "deal" a bit less appealing, when you could pay the same price with a tiny bit of leg work on eBay, Amazon, and the like. B2G1 is the shit for really cheap/old games though.
Old 03-14-09, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Hey, read the title of the thread. If you want to praise GS, start your own thread about it, otherwise, you're thread-crapping because this thread is about how much they suck!

Spoiler:
just kidding - but if such a thread existed, I bet it would take a lot longer to get to 200 posts.
Old 03-14-09, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I actually had some decent luck at the B2G1 sale. I ended up with Eternal Darkness (Gamecube), Orange Box (360) and Army of Two (360) for $38.
Old 03-15-09, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

I've had my fair share of good experiences at GameStop as well. I've met some good employees there that don't bother trying to sell me crap I don't want/need (unless a supervisor I don't know is present, in which case I cut them some slack and listen to the brief sales pitch). The problem is the company as a whole has some very crappy policies (selling opened games as new). And I don't like getting used games since they offer you so little when you hand them over but charge near the same as a new game when they sell them.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.