Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

GameStop is Vile and Disgusting Part XXVII

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-17, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts
Re: GameStop is Vile and Disgusting Part XXVII

Originally Posted by Supermallet
The quotas are nothing new, although it sounds like they have gotten higher since I worked there. I remember when I was a manager, they took the loyalty card that was $5 and attached it to a Game Informer subscription for $25 IIRC (it might have been $15 but I think it was $25). Corporate came up with all these pitches to sell people on the idea of paying $25 upfront and likely not seeing any discounts on their purchase (I don't remember at what point they started saving money, but it wasn't with the purchase of a single new game).

Well, not surprisingly, card subscriptions plummeted almost immediately. And corporate was fucking pissed. They put pressure on the district managers to get the numbers up. I remember getting phone calls from my DM asking why my numbers were low. I told them that very few people considered the new program a deal, and most people don't want a physical magazine sent to their house these days (2007). He told me I must be pitching it wrong, and so I rattled off all the corporate pitches they had taught us, not just from memory but as an actual pitch, as if I believed their bullshit about it being a good deal.

The DM was absolutely stumped as to why my numbers weren't better. I had all the pitches down. Corporate said it would work. He couldn't fathom that maybe the people working their stores would know the customers better than some number crunchers at the corporate headquarters.

They truly are a clueless, awful company. I haven't bought a game from them in years and don't intend to start back up ever again.
Originally Posted by mattysemo247
I swung by Gamestop when we were at the mall over the weekend and they were trying to get me to order some Pokemon 3DS that is coming out. Kept telling me that I should put $50 down so I don't miss out. When I told him that I have a Vita I barely touch, he said that I would play the 3DS a lot more. Not sure where he was coming up with that theory, but...ok.

I did spot one cool thing while I was there. They had a bunch of steelbooks for indie games. Rogue Legacy, Axiom Verge, Guacamele, Thomas Was Alone, Chariot, etc and were $20 each.
I really wish that businesses would get it through their heads that pushy sales people trying to force corporate mandated crap is off-putting to your customers.

NO, I do not want an extended warranty.
NO, I do not want to give you my e-mail address.
NO, I do not want to buy a loyalty card.
NO, I do not want to sign up for your store credit card.

And then you get these clerks who won't take NO for an answer and start arguing with you. But it's a good deal! You'll need that warranty. We won't spam your e-mail address.

Just knock it off. If I didn't already hand you my money I would walk out of the store right now.
Old 02-02-17, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts

Nice to know the Blockbuster execs are working again.
Old 02-02-17, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,207 Likes on 4,234 Posts

Originally Posted by mattysemo247

I did spot one cool thing while I was there. They had a bunch of steelbooks for indie games. Rogue Legacy, Axiom Verge, Guacamele, Thomas Was Alone, Chariot, etc and were $20 each.
Damn you matty! You made me venture into a dreaded Game Stop. I had hopes of picking up a Steelbook of Axiom Verge. You forgot to mention that these were PC copies, not PS4 versions.
Old 02-03-17, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 219 Likes on 166 Posts

More on the Circle of Life policy at GameStop.

'We Are All Scared For Our Jobs': GameStop Employees Share Their Circle Of Life Stories.

http://kotaku.com/we-are-all-scared-...ium=socialflow
Old 02-03-17, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
Damn you matty! You made me venture into a dreaded Game Stop. I had hopes of picking up a Steelbook of Axiom Verge. You forgot to mention that these were PC copies, not PS4 versions.
That's also weird since I imagine they would just be digital codes on Steam or something.
Old 02-03-17, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
Sorry about that, they didn't do a great job advertising what system they were for. Imagine that!

Hopefully you bought a few used games or some Funko Pops before you left.
Old 02-11-17, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 219 Likes on 166 Posts

Just a reminder if you are a pro member, they are giving an extra 10% off games and accessories. I took in some games I have not played in a long time and got $118.00 in store credit.
Old 02-15-17, 04:29 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Body found behind a Gamestop
http://www.wtoc.com/story/34512533/b...r-21-in-rincon
Old 02-15-17, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 137 Likes on 106 Posts

Dumpster diving gone wrong?
Old 02-15-17, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Customer that tried to oulast a Game Informer sales pitch?
Old 02-15-17, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

He tried to buy a game on release day that he didn't pre-order.
Old 02-15-17, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

His organs will be resealed and sold as new.
Old 03-23-17, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I've only been to gamestop I think once in the past 10 years. So I was all prepared for a Vile experience in trading in my PS4 launch and some odds & ends towards a PS4 Pro. But it was actually quite a pleasant experience.

I had forgotten the HDMI cable, and she offered to take it out of my new Pro.
She didn't push the Rewards Pro program that hard, in fact she applied everything to see what the benefit would be, and it wouldn't be worth the $15 cost so she took it off.
I had a Gold Wireless headset I was considering trading in, but she says the system doesn't have that, and could only offer $1, so she said to keep it (which I obviously would have done anyway).
Was in an out in <10 minutes.
No push for pre-orders or trying to sell me a used PS4 Pro.

I may go back in another 10 years.
Old 03-24-17, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

GameStop is set to close between at least 150 stores following fourth quarter sales declines in almost all of its segments.

The Texas-based company said Thursday that hardware sales declined 29.1%, and new software sales fell by 19.3% for the quarter, CNBC reports. Shares of GameStop then dropped more than 10% in early trading Friday.

GameStop said it expects to close 2-3% of its stores, however it will be opening 65 new Technology Brand stores and 35 Collectibles stores, according to USA Today. The American video game and electronics retailer cited weak sales of particular video game released during the holiday season as well as other retailers using "aggressive" promotional techniques as reasons for the decline.

A spokesperson from GameStop told Fortune that the closure of the stores is part of an "annual strategy" to close up to non-productive stores that was announced more than three years ago. "This is something that will take place throughout 2017," their statement added.
http://fortune.com/2017/03/24/gamest...alflow_twitter
Old 03-25-17, 03:37 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Does GameStop offer the 20% off like best buy and Amazon. If not, maybe they should because if they don't adapt, they perish, much like Blockbuster.
Old 03-25-17, 04:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 403 Likes on 303 Posts

They don't. Maybe 20% off a guide if you buy a game from them. Or 10% off used games.

They don't even price match.
Old 03-25-17, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,505 Posts

Originally Posted by adrenaline78
Does GameStop offer the 20% off like best buy and Amazon. If not, maybe they should because if they don't adapt, they perish, much like Blockbuster.
How are they going to make more money by offering bigger discounts and making their crappy used game prices look even more pathetic?
Old 03-25-17, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

Yeah, stores like BB and Amazon can afford loss leaders and/or getting bigger discounts from publishers by buying in bulk to offset that 20% discount, Gamestop cannot do that.
Old 03-26-17, 01:42 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

GameStop makes zilch off new product. They make their money off the used product with high mark ups. Not really surprised that sales were slow on that end.

Really hard for a store like GameStop to mark down new product when the profit margin is so small.
Old 03-26-17, 04:00 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
How are they going to make more money by offering bigger discounts and making their crappy used game prices look even more pathetic?
To get people into the store. Retail 101
Old 03-26-17, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
Yeah, stores like BB and Amazon can afford loss leaders and/or getting bigger discounts from publishers by buying in bulk to offset that 20% discount, Gamestop cannot do that.
This isn't true at all. GameStop has as many or more stores than BB does. They buy in volume just like any other big retailer does.
Old 03-26-17, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
This isn't true at all. GameStop has as many or more stores than BB does. They buy in volume just like any other big retailer does.
What's not true? That stores like BB, Target and amazon sell much more than just videogames, so unlike GS, they can take a hit on those and get people to buy other things along with their games?

Not to mention, there may be more GS stores, but each of those other stores buy way more copies of the games, and have more bargaining power. I guarantee you that those stores pay way less per game to the game publishers/distributors than GS does.
Old 03-26-17, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,505 Posts

Originally Posted by adrenaline78
To get people into the store. Retail 101
I don't think it's so simple, otherwise every store around me would be giving 20% off the main thing that they sell just to get me in there.

But yeah their profit comes from used games, hence the whole mandate reported earlier not to sell New when a used one is available. If new games are 20% off, how are they going to sell that used game at 5 to 10 percent off?
Old 03-26-17, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Video games are not the main thing Amazon, Best Buy and Wal-Mart sells.
Old 03-26-17, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
What's not true? That stores like BB, Target and amazon sell much more than just videogames, so unlike GS, they can take a hit on those and get people to buy other things along with their games?

Not to mention, there may be more GS stores, but each of those other stores buy way more copies of the games, and have more bargaining power. I guarantee you that those stores pay way less per game to the game publishers/distributors than GS does.
you implied with your comment, that bigger box stores can get bigger discounts from publishers. that's not true at all. gamestop gets those same deals as other retailers. in fact, their margins on used games are often way higher than what bigger retailers have on most new products.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.