Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

GameStop is Vile and Disgusting Part XXVII

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-15, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts
Re: GameStop is Vile and Disgusting Part XXVII

Don’t wash your Wiimote

I work at a small used video game, board game, and comic book store. I was still getting a hang of how we handle some customer service situations when one day the phone rang and my manager answered. “Hello, how can we help you today? ... Sounds like you have to sync your Wii remotes. You’ll have t- ... No sir, sync... Do NOT put your remotes in water. There are buttons on the back. No, do NOT put them in the sink!”

This continued for much longer than it should have. I was amazed my manager kept from laughing, because we lost it when he hung up.
::
Old 04-23-15, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Exactly. I hardly think Gamestop is the first store to deal with stupid customers. Kinda makes it even funnier that they think they're special. Hell, most of the stories in that link aren't even that bad. .
You realize that those stories are on a video game website, right? Nobody thinks they are special. If you look at the gawker branded sites, it is common theme to have them post customer horror stories. They have ones from restaurant industry, car industry, etc on those respective sites. These stories are unique to that site because of the focus on videogames, so your point is way off base.
Old 04-23-15, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

Yeah, it's just that people who've worked at GS tend to share their customer horror stories online much more than employees at, say, a JC Penney's would.
Old 04-23-15, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
You realize that those stories are on a video game website, right? Nobody thinks they are special. If you look at the gawker branded sites, it is common theme to have them post customer horror stories. They have ones from restaurant industry, car industry, etc on those respective sites.
Fair enough. So then...

I hardly think Gamestop is the first store to deal with stupid customers. Kinda makes it even funnier that they think they're special. Hell, most of the stories in that link aren't even that bad.
Old 12-27-15, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Why do people still sell their games to Gamestop?

Call of Duty: Black Ops III (PS4)

GameStop: $20 cash/$25 credit ($22/$27.50 for PowerUp Rewards members)

WalMart: $25.59

Best Buy: $27

Target: $25

Amazon: $23.77

Fallout 4 (PS4)

WalMart: $30.55

Best Buy: $29

Amazon: $26.55

Super Smash Bros. (Wii U)

WalMart: $23.60

Best Buy: $27

Amazon: $23.87

Halo 5: Guardians (Xbox One)

GameStop: $17.60 cash/$22 credit ($19.36/$24.20 for PowerUp Rewards members)

WalMart: $29.15

Best Buy: $25

Amazon: $19.67
Old 12-27-15, 01:58 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't think they take unopened games but it still rings true for value w/ GS.

Spoilerized cuz of size:
Spoiler:
Old 12-27-15, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Old 12-27-15, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Nice.
Old 12-27-15, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Lol
Old 12-28-15, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
Why do people still sell their games to Gamestop?
Right now Best Buy is giving 30% bonus on those posted values, and if your part of the gamer's club you get another 10%.

The only time I traded to Gamestop last year was when they had a 50% bump up coupon they put out. It took a while to use that credit though, because almost everything is bought at BB with my GCU.
Old 12-28-15, 05:35 PM

Received 1,921 Likes on 1,133 Posts

I was browsing the local GameStop today, killing time. The used game prices are ridiculous. Games that were $12-$26 on Black Friday and even in the last few weeks are $40+. Who would pay that?!

Kid and his mom were there, excited for the Buy 2, Get 1 Free used game sale. But the clerk was talking with them a long time about a new copy of a Mortal Kombat game. The kid did NOT look interested. He picked two used games and was looking for a third when the clerk said he could have the MK game, he could just mark it used. Mom looked confused, even the kid thought it was weird. The way the clerk was trying to be "helpful" was weird. I just walked out.
Old 12-28-15, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First time I've been in a Gamestop in years, and I stood in line to pick up a copy of The Order I put on hold, it took 20 minutes to ring out the 3 people in front of me, and they had two people working the counter. Absolutely ridiculous.
Old 12-28-15, 10:44 PM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts

I stepped into a Gamestop recently cause I've heard they started carrying exclusive variants on some Marvel comic books. I was completely surprised to see that the store resembles more like a Pop Culture/comic book store. There are now statues, collectible toys, comic books and other collectibles. Because of this, I decided to stop at several other Gamestops. The problem is that the clerks at the store don't know or care anything about these items and they treat them as disposable games instead of actual collectibles for the market they are selling this to. I decided to look more into the decision to have this stuff and lo and behold, it is that Gamestop bought Thinkgeek. Of course, instead of running things like Thinkgeek was doing them, Gamestop had to put their touch and crap on the entire thing. Another missed opportunity by the corporate geniuses at Gamestop.
Old 12-29-15, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Hood
I stepped into a Gamestop recently cause I've heard they started carrying exclusive variants on some Marvel comic books. I was completely surprised to see that the store resembles more like a Pop Culture/comic book store. There are now statues, collectible toys, comic books and other collectibles.
A MovieStop near me just turned into one of those.
Old 12-29-15, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by flashburn
First time I've been in a Gamestop in years, and I stood in line to pick up a copy of The Order I put on hold, it took 20 minutes to ring out the 3 people in front of me, and they had two people working the counter. Absolutely ridiculous.
I had GameStop credit because of a returned gift and I had a similar experience just trying to pick up an order of Tomb Raider. Surprised at how long it took, as well as all the questions about buying a season pass, protection plan, rewards membership, etc. Blah.

As for trade in values, I think the casual consumers still don't really think of other retail stores as accepting trade ins and are just used to Gamestop as the place to still go to buy and sell stuff.
Old 01-11-16, 05:08 PM
Banned

Gamestop Stores Closing For Good In Puerto Rico
http://attackofthefanboy.com/news/ga...n-puerto-rico/

This seems to be a mix of a bad temper tantrum by Gamestop executives and idiocy on the Puertorican government. From what I've read, things have not been good in down there economically, but this is the first time I've heard of an American company leaving the island for good.
Old 01-13-16, 06:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

The economy here sucks mate. I am not surprised that companies want to move out from the island. High unemployment and probably a lot less people buying games. The government officials here are a joke and they wonder why they get pinched by the Feds when the blatantly steal. Utter morons. That being said, i think that Gamestop is having a Blockbuster moment. With faster and cheaper internet in a lot of locations more people i think are downloading their games rather than buying them. Thats one reason for Gamestop to actually stay in PR, as the Internet services provided here suck ass. They ard expensive, slow and give low limits for download. I doubt i could download a single game with what my monthly limit would allow. Its utter shite.
Old 01-13-16, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

So, how is GS going to compete with Amazon's new deal to Prime members, giving them 20% off the price of a new game when pre-ordering?
Old 01-13-16, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by slop101
So, how is GS going to compete with Amazon's new deal to Prime members, giving them 20% off the price of a new game when pre-ordering?
Same way they've competed with GCU and waiting a couple weeks to save $20 + tax. Relying on moms.
Old 01-13-16, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by cleaver
Relying on moms.
this
Old 01-13-16, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They also compete, at least with my own personal take because of giftcards. I basically only get 1 of 2 gifts on my birthday or Christmas (excluding my wife who actually still pays attention ). A)Giftcard to Amazon and B)Giftcard to Gamestop. In fact, I probably have 2 or 3 GC's from Gamestop at the moment. I guess I could sell them off on ebay just for cash, but instead I use them to pre-order or buy something on a sale for a game that I want. I used one recently to preorder the LE of Life is Strange. My extended family knows I play a lot of games, so its the easy drop in rather than try to figure out what I'm actually playing.
Old 01-13-16, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,941 Likes on 1,502 Posts

Plus exclusives. I know I bought some stuff from them last year only because of exclusives.
Old 01-13-16, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 145 Posts

the bad news is that it will surely affect trade in value of relatively new games at gamestop
Old 01-13-16, 04:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by joeblow69
the bad news is that it will surely affect trade in value of relatively new games at gamestop
So instead of giving you a dime for a new game, they'll give you now a nickel?
Old 01-14-16, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

They are everywhere. As long as they can keep that many stores open, they will always be an option. Yeah, moms, teenagers, grandpas, etc.

It's always easier to drive 5 mins, or even walk!, and get whatever videogame gift you were planning, than ordering online and wait. Or in Best Buy case drive 30 mins or so, fight hordes, etc. to get the videogame gift you want.

Amazon of course is killing everyone. Prime is so awesome. Right now I can get new games with 20% off, and where I live I can get same day delivery. So if I'm at work, I can order something and I can play that game tonight.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.