Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

GameStop is Vile and Disgusting Part XXVII

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-08, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BravesMG
There's a B2G1 going on now?
Yes, B2G1 all used games/accessories for all systems. I think it goes until Sunday.

A lot of the previously online-only copies of the Atlus reprints discussed in this thread are making their way to the brick and mortar Gamestops, so now is a great time to grab them if you are interested.

Edit: Not that I'm advocating Gamestop here, because I hate some of their shady practices as much as the rest of you, but roughly 33% of these Atlus games which are new without shrinkwrap is a steal, considering they were impossible to find under hoarder prices previously.

Of course, the good deal I got had to be somewhat soured by the cashier swapping the case of the free copy of Guitar Hero III (360) I got as the third title with a cracked-and-missing-half-the-spine case from the drawer while I was paying. That's Gamestop for you...

Last edited by dvd182; 04-30-08 at 02:45 PM.
Old 04-30-08, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Vandelay_Inds
By the way, Nocturne suddenly jumped to number 2 in Amazon's PS2 top selling list. I had checked it out last night, and Amazon wasn't offering it. Maybe they too got a batch and it sold out entirely this morning?
It was being sold by Amazon for $39.99 for a few hours earlier today.
Old 04-30-08, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by dvd182
It was being sold by Amazon for $39.99 for a few hours earlier today.
So, is Amazon now "Vile and Disgusting," too?
Old 04-30-08, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Nocturne is in stock again:
http://www.amazon.com/Atlus-USA-Shin...8&s=videogames
Old 04-30-08, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Vandelay_Inds
Amazon ain't gutting 'em.
Bingo.
Old 04-30-08, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts
Since the title of this thread is about GS's shady practices, I thought I'd post this here.

http://kotaku.com/385487/your-gamest...be-meaningless

An employee [of Gamestop] writes to us today about what he calls "some disturbing marching orders from corporate" that basically say that your pre-order doesn't guarantee your copy won't be sold to the next walk-in customer. In fact, "we are being told to specifically disregard our reservation customers, who have payed a deposit on this game in exchange for a guarantee of availability, for walk-in customers."
So basically, even if you pre-ordered GTA at GS and didn't pick it up within 24 hours of release, you have a better chance of getting it at a Best Buy than at GS.
Old 04-30-08, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,499 Posts
That's weird... that's usually the opposite of what normally happens. Normally, if you don't preorder, they tell you that they can't sell you one that day, even if they have a few extra copies. Which in and of itself is evil, but why try to screw the guys who preordered from you? Maybe there's a new shipment coming in really quickly?

And for these kinds of big ticket games, I'd think that the local Best Buy, Target, heck, even CC would have more than enough copies to sell...
Old 04-30-08, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I know it's way old news, but how exactly can GameStop sell open copies of games (the display) as new? I've never understood that, and still find it weird.
Old 04-30-08, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Gamestop did this same thing with Cubivore and RE 2, 3 and CV on GameCube. Sold them used even though they are new. Weird practice.
Old 05-01-08, 07:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts
I saw the pre-order thing firsthand last weekend at GameStop when I was picking up Mario Kart. I was waiting in line and there were like 4 or 5 people ahead of me who didn't have pre-orders. One of the kids behind the counter asked the manager if they should sell to them because they were getting low on stock and had a lot of pre-orders left. The manager responded, "Yep, we'll get more in later in the week and we give priority to people that actually come out at store opening to pick up the game." I didn't say anything, but I'd be pissed if my fully paid pre-order wasn't fulfilled on the day of release.
Old 05-01-08, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah, I know Gamestop isn't the best, but that is ridiculous maxfisher. It's like they totally disregard the customer because they really are the only option for those kids who trade in all of their stuff to get the latest and greatest.

My cousin is one of them, and I have tried to explain to him how he's getting ripped off, but he's so impatient that he will trade in his DS or PSP and get whatever they're offering, only to get a game he'll play for 3 weeks. He's making bad decisions, sure, but he isn't a unique case. In fact I've been in plenty of Gamestops when some teen was trading in 10-13 games, only to get $45 in credit or whatever.

I only shop at Gamestops to get sub $20 games, but wouldn't dream of buying from them "new". The last time I did was Tekken 5 I think. And the woman behind the counter asked me if I wanted to buy a used copy, and I was like fine save a bit of money works for me. The game brand new was $50, and used copies were $45.99 or something.

They are just all around a shady ass business. Mom and Pop game shops are usually the way to go if you have one in your area if you need the kind of stuff Gamestop offers (trade-ins, used games, etc). Otherwise, any other big box brick and mortar or online store.
Old 05-01-08, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by boredsilly
They are just all around a shady ass business. Mom and Pop game shops are usually the way to go...
Hell no!

Old 05-01-08, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
I only shop at Gamestops to get sub $20 games, but wouldn't dream of buying from them "new".
That's a good point. I can't recall the last time I paid more than $25 for a game there. I can't in good conscience give them that much money. I had no problems pre-ordering and dropping SRP on games when it was EB/Babbages.

Er wait, that's not totally true, I did buy Rock Band there right after Christmas when they were scarce, and because I had a 10% off coupon. OTHER than that, umm, yeah...
Old 05-01-08, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts
I only shop at Gamestops to get sub $20 games, but wouldn't dream of buying from them "new".
Unfortunately, they make way more money off you buying used games than new games. They only make about $3-5 per new game sold, as opposed to over 50% of the price of the new games they sell, which is pure profit for them.
Old 05-01-08, 06:39 PM
Banned

I don't shop there often, but I did go in this afternoon to check out the sale. I ended up with Gears of War, Kane & Lynch, and The Simpsons for $65 plus tax. Not the best deal probably, but good enough for an impulse buy. The girl even looked through all the copies to find me mint ones, without being asked.
Old 05-01-08, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by slop101
Unfortunately, they make way more money off you buying used games than new games. They only make about $3-5 per new game sold, as opposed to over 50% of the price of the new games they sell, which is pure profit for them.
That's fine by me. I have no problem taking advantage of what that store does well (stock common older used games for dirt cheap).
Old 05-01-08, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

While this Atlus thing is rather shady of GameStop, I normally don't have a problem buying used games from them.

With new games running $60 now, I can routinely get a used copy for about $45 the week it comes out. They usually mark the game at $55, throw in a 10% off with my Edge card, and there's usually a 10% off coupon for used stuff, and I'm saving 25% off the price of a new game for a copy that someone probably bought, burned, and flipped the same day. How else would you explain used copies of games that just released that day?
Old 05-03-08, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Back available at amazon
Old 05-03-08, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Shagrath
How else would you explain used copies of games that just released that day?
When Shinobi for the PS2 was released, for some reason I bought it that very day. I took it home, played it for a while, and hated it so much that I brought it back that very same day. I don't even remember why I hated the game so much since that's the only time I've ever played it.

I know that's not common, but still. Ever since then I've been very careful with the games that I actually buy.

Last edited by Brent L; 05-03-08 at 02:44 PM.
Old 05-03-08, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Brent L
When Shinobi for the PS2 was released, for some reason I bought it that very day. I took it home, played it for a while, and hated it so much that I brought it back that very same day. I don't even remember why I hated the game so much since that's the only time I've ever played it.

I know that's not common, but still. Ever since then I've been very careful with the games that I actually buy.
Another benefit of buying used stuff there.. If it sucks, you've got 7 days to return it and get your money back.
Old 05-04-08, 10:30 AM

I don't have a dog in this fight, but I WILL point out that it's a manufacturers SUGGESTED retail price. If the marketplace bears out a higher price for something, there is no mandate that they charge the MSRP for it. No one minds when GS sells games for lower than MSRP, of that, I'm certain. I ordered a copy of this from them using the cheap ass gamer discounts and my edge card. Got is shipped for $30.32. Arrived with media mail type free shipping in 3-4 days.
Old 06-09-08, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Last week I decided to buy a used copy of a specific PS2 game, so I went to GameStop's site and saw that it was in stock at several stores around me. My friend was nice enough to let me borrow her GS card and I set out to buy the game. I went to the closest GS near me and they had the game...in some generic case. So I checked another and they had it...in a generic case. Went to one more...yep, generic case. After that I was done searching for the game. (I didn't make specific trips, mind you; these GameSpots were all close to places I was already driving to.)

Yes, I know it's what's on the inside that counts - at least that's what my Mom always told me - but I just couldn't buy the game. It looks cheap on the shelf and, though I'm not sure, I'd think it'd hurt whatever resale/trade-in value it has. Who knows if the instruction manual would've been included.

I ended up buying it this morning from half.com. With shipping, a new shrink-wrapped copy ended up costing only a little more than GS's used copy + sales tax - discount. Of course, I don't get the instant gratification of playing it right away.

To call me a casual gamer is to slightly overstate my status, so I rarely go to GameStop. Why so many generic cases for their used games? Do they get them from online rental places or something? Losing manuals I can see - they get accidentally thrown out or whatever - but is there some lost case epidemic affecting people trading games in?
Old 06-09-08, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts
The only thing I can think of, is people put their games in binders and toss the cases. Which is stupid

I've lost count how many times Ive gone into a EB/GS to pick up a game, and walk out with nothing because of the generic case. They should at least discount the price for an incomplete package.

My Moviestop sells Blu-ray disc only for $10, as opposed to $15+ for complete. Why cant GS do the same?
Old 06-09-08, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,499 Posts
Originally Posted by stingermck
The only thing I can think of, is people put their games in binders and toss the cases. Which is stupid

I've lost count how many times Ive gone into a EB/GS to pick up a game, and walk out with nothing because of the generic case. They should at least discount the price for an incomplete package.

My Moviestop sells Blu-ray disc only for $10, as opposed to $15+ for complete. Why cant GS do the same?
I'm seriously considering doing that... putting my (older) games in binders and tossing or storing the cases somewhere. Most of the games I have aren't worth anything for trade in, the game cases are piling up and take a lot of space, and all I really need are the disks. Even the instruction booklets are relatively useless.
Old 06-09-08, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
If you do get stuck with a case that has no art, and you want the art, you can print our own. http://www.thecoverproject.net/

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.