Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

GameStop is Vile and Disgusting Part XXVII

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

GameStop is Vile and Disgusting Part XXVII

Old 06-09-08, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think that is a great idea. Get rid of that shit and create some space. I would do it myself if I ever owned more than 10-12 games at a time.
Old 06-09-08, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts
I was thinking about doing this as well. But I'm always afraid of getting the discs wrecked in binders. Are they safe to store or is there a greater chance of the discs getting scratched in the binders?
Old 06-09-08, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mhg83
I was thinking about doing this as well. But I'm always afraid of getting the discs wrecked in binders. Are they safe to store or is there a greater chance of the discs getting scratched in the binders?
As long as your didn't previously store sand in the slots where the discs are, I'd say even a basic level of attention while taking games out and putting them in would be safe.
Old 06-09-08, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I keep my games in binders and just stash the cases and manuals in a big box in the basement. I'm too OCD to throw out the cases, but my shelf space is already taken up by DVDs, so this is a good compromise.
Old 06-09-08, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
I don't understand why it is that an overwhelming majority used games I run into are either beat to shit or just plain unplayable. I guess I understand some scratches on a disc here and there, but why does the instruction book (when it's there) look like it's been dragged through an unpaved road? Most of the time, even the paper cover underneath the plastic of the case is practically in tattlers - do people give these pieces of paper to their babies to play with? On almost all used cartridges I've encountered, there's almost always dried-up food stuffs on them. How the fuck does someone get food on their cartridges, and why does it happen with such alarming frequency?

It just seems like I'm the only person who doesn't wipe his ass using a videogame. And if I do, I'd at least have the common courtesy to clean it off before I sold it back. Bunch of fucking savages...
Old 06-10-08, 12:35 PM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts
There was a similar complaint about missing cases, and from that thread many people posted that since Gamestop pays the same with or without the case, that people are choosing to keep the case and only trade in the disc.
Old 06-10-08, 12:47 PM

The only thing that has ever bothered me about EB/Gamestop and stores of the like is when they take a perfectly brand new game, open it, put the game in a sleeve, and put the case is some other place. Why not just leave the shit in the case? If it is open it isn't "brand new". I'm pretty sure I've paid for about eight "new" games that had the convenience of already being scratched to hell for me so I wouldn't have to worry about scratching my new game.
Old 06-10-08, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts
I always said my Gamefly used purchases came in better shape than some of my "new" EB/GameStop purchases. And it's true.
Old 06-10-08, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RichC2
I always said my Gamefly used purchases came in better shape than some of my "new" EB/GameStop purchases. And it's true.
Indeed. Every used game I've gotten on eBay has been in great condition. That's never the case at GameStop. They have some kind of value degrading process, I'm sure of it. They ruin as much as they can in store so that they're the only place who will buy it back in that awful condition so that they can sell it yet again, giving them an endless cycle of profit.
Old 06-10-08, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,491 Posts
The guy who sells it on ebay is probably a bit more savvy and knows that he needs to sell stuff in decent condition or he'll get negative feedback or worse. The mom of the 10 year old kid who trades her game into Gamestop for pennies on the dollar is much less likely to take care of the game/box/manual. I don't think they check whether the game actually works, and they just rebuff the game with one of those game doctors if it's a little scratched up. I've heard conflicting reports on whether they still allow employees to take home used/opened games as well.

Still, they're profitable.

I wonder what the heck people are doing with the empty cases when they just trade in the game.
Old 06-10-08, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fujishig
I wonder what the heck people are doing with the empty cases when they just trade in the game.
Sell them on eBay to people who buy their games from GameStop.
Old 07-01-08, 10:15 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

Went in a nearby Gamestop today to buy a used game that's not on store shelves anymore. I got a fresh reminder why I never go in there.

Clerk: I need to see your I.D. before you can purchase this game. We can't sell Mature games to people under 17. (I'm 28)
ME: No problem, here you go. (pulls ID out of wallet)
Clerk: (Scrutinizes the ID for a full 20 seconds) OK, here you go. Where is your Gamestop membership card?
ME: Uh....
Clerk: Do you have a Gamestop membership card?
ME: No and I don't want one.
Clerk: Have you heard about the Gamestop membership card?
ME: Yes and I don't want one. (lying about knowledge of it)
Clerk: Did you know that you get 10% off game purchases like this one?
ME: (Calculating in my head that would save me 80 cents) Yes and I don't want it. I rarely shop here.
Clerk: (Become rattled) But you also get a subscription to Game Informer.
ME: NO THANK YOU.
Clerk: (Proceeds with transaction) What games would you like us to reserve for you today?
ME: (wondering how easy it would be to stab him and run off with my $8 used game)
Clerk: How about Guitar Hero World Tour? We only have one reserve left before our entire stock will be sold out.
ME: So this store has nearly sold out of a $190 game four months before it's getting released?
Clerk: (nervous) Yep. Maybe there's two slots left. I haven't checked recently.
ME: (holding my credit card on display) No thank you. Where do I slide this?
Clerk: So no reserves then? Hang on a second. Go ahead and slide it on the reader. Credit, Oh. I need to see your ID again.
ME: (Screaming silently in my head) Sure.

The entire transaction took forever. I'm going to start spouting off all the answers to their questions, before he /she asks them, as soon as I get to the cashier next time.

Last edited by Flay; 07-01-08 at 11:09 PM.
Old 07-01-08, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
I've been in that exact same situation. I rarely shop there but the next time it happens I'm leaving the games on the counter and walking out. There's nothing I need that bad to sit through that nonsense.
Old 07-01-08, 10:36 PM

Received 798 Likes on 521 Posts
I saw a shirt somewhere that read something like this:

Old 07-01-08, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by Goldberg74
I saw a shirt somewhere that read something like this:

Thats a great shirt! Where can you order it from?
Old 07-02-08, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I bought Warcraft 3 battlechest, and Starcraft battlechest, excited to go home and get back in touch with these games, they rang up to $56. When I opened the packages, there were no CDs, just the strategy guides / manuals, for both games!

And I remembered the clerk before handing me the bag, had opened the packages behind the counter and looked into them. Either he took them out to steal for himself or he saw that they were missing and didn't want to say anything.

$56 for a lesson learned, not bad, gamespot can shove it... at least I was able to d/l starcraft online
Old 07-02-08, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by CloverClover
And I remembered the clerk before handing me the bag, had opened the packages behind the counter and looked into them. Either he took them out to steal for himself or he saw that they were missing and didn't want to say anything.
WTF? Why would he need to do that? So you just took a $56 loss? That's not cool.
Old 07-02-08, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think it used to be policy that PC games were automatically gutted, with the discs stored either in the back rooms or in the behind the counter shelves. This happened with both the King's Quest collection and the Blizzard Battlechests I've gotten on sale there. Could be related, as maybe he forgot to put them back in during a short memory lapse? I can't imagine he would just out and out try to screw you like that, seems pretty bold, even for a Gamestop employee.
Old 07-02-08, 08:56 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I don't understand why you wouldn't go back to the store?
Old 07-02-08, 09:36 AM

Received 798 Likes on 521 Posts
Originally Posted by mhg83
Thats a great shirt! Where can you order it from?
That image was made by me because I couldn't remember exactly where I saw it at.

Sorry about that.
Old 07-02-08, 09:51 AM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

http://www.cafepress.com/curmudgeongamer.65720689

Alas, this one no longer seems to be on sale at the website where I saw it linked.
Old 07-02-08, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,491 Posts
Originally Posted by dvd182
I think it used to be policy that PC games were automatically gutted, with the discs stored either in the back rooms or in the behind the counter shelves. This happened with both the King's Quest collection and the Blizzard Battlechests I've gotten on sale there. Could be related, as maybe he forgot to put them back in during a short memory lapse? I can't imagine he would just out and out try to screw you like that, seems pretty bold, even for a Gamestop employee.
Why would they gut all of the copies of PC games???
Old 07-02-08, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by fujishig
Why would they gut all of the copies of PC games???
Not sure, with the new copies out in the open like that I'm guessing to prevent shoplifting. This came up during the Game Days sale last year when they had a bunch of PC collections for cheap. A bunch of people were reporting that they had gutted copies, and someone who worked at GS said it was store policy at least at the stores he knew of. It could be only for certain sets, or not even an official policy, but it's annoying either way.
Old 07-02-08, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
Originally Posted by Chew
Sell them on eBay to people who buy their games from GameStop.
I was just browsing ebay for some 360 cases yesterday. I wish I could get them another way.
Old 07-02-08, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Groucho
I don't understand why you wouldn't go back to the store?
He learned a lesson. Isn't that enough?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.