Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

GameStop is Vile and Disgusting Part XXVII

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-09, 01:21 PM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: GameStop is Vile and Disgusting Part XXVII

Originally Posted by Fandango
How many times have you gone to a Gamestop looking for a new release and have them tell you they only have copies for pre-orders? This happens to me almost every time. Now if they aren't selling copies to walk in customers what business are they losing to stores that sell it early?
I am not here to judge Gamestop on how they run their buisness. I am only saying that what they did in this case does not seem that bad to me. Petty? Yes. Ultimately it is Activision's policy that the small store violated and not Gamestop...

I try not to go into gamestop myself anyway. Even their buy 2 get 1 sales usually suck ass when you do the math. The only thing I have of theirs is an edge card, and that is to get the magazine...which I would pay 15 bucks a year for anyway.
Old 11-17-09, 01:28 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am lucky in that the local GameStop I deal with has pretty friendly employees and a good manager that actually recognizes me and comments on how often I am in the store and do business there.

The only issue I have with GameStop is their open one or two copies to have display cases and then still want to sell the game as new. The one time I dealt with that I asked "so, you are saying this game is new.. even though it is opened. Yes, was their response. So, I asked what happens if I walk out the store and then come back in today or another day and want to return it for a full refund? The employee said, we could not return it because the game is opened. You'd have to do a trade-in and receive whatever the current trade-in value is."

That almost made my head aspolode... So.. they can sell me an opened game as new.. but if I want to return that opened game with a receipt showing a new game purchase, they won't do it and will only trade it in?
Old 11-17-09, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

So basically it's: snitching vs. breaking a sale-date contract

I'd say snitching is much worse.
Old 11-17-09, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You know what happens to snitches, right?
Old 11-17-09, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
So basically it's: snitching vs. breaking a sale-date contract

I'd say snitching is much worse.
Right..but are you directly impacted on the business side? I would guess that most businesses would say keeping the playing field level is more important.

Believe me, not that I'm trying to defend Gamestop here. You kind of have to remove anything other than the fact that they are competing businesses. In fact I thought they pretty much admitted to selling MW2 early as well at the corporate level because other stores were doing it. They should be penalized in this situation as well without question. The whole thing is ridiculous and actually just paints Activision to look like a bunch of pussies if they completely ignore Gamestop by letting them do whatever they want.

Last edited by superfro; 11-17-09 at 01:57 PM.
Old 11-17-09, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 746 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by Vryce
I am lucky in that the local GameStop I deal with has pretty friendly employees and a good manager that actually recognizes me and comments on how often I am in the store and do business there.

The only issue I have with GameStop is their open one or two copies to have display cases and then still want to sell the game as new. The one time I dealt with that I asked "so, you are saying this game is new.. even though it is opened. Yes, was their response. So, I asked what happens if I walk out the store and then come back in today or another day and want to return it for a full refund? The employee said, we could not return it because the game is opened. You'd have to do a trade-in and receive whatever the current trade-in value is."

That almost made my head aspolode... So.. they can sell me an opened game as new.. but if I want to return that opened game with a receipt showing a new game purchase, they won't do it and will only trade it in?
Whenever I've bought the last "new" copy of a game at gamestop, they always put a sticker over the edge to seal it. I always assumed it was for this very reason (if I returned it with the sticker untampered with, then I could get a full refund).
Old 11-17-09, 01:52 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
Whenever I've bought the last "new" copy of a game at gamestop, they always put a sticker over the edge to seal it. I always assumed it was for this very reason (if I returned it with the sticker untampered with, then I could get a full refund).
Maybe this employee did not know of that, or it was before they implemented the sticker over the edge. Not sure..

It was about 5 years ago or so that the incident happened. I did not buy the game after they tried to sell me a open copy as a new game.

Luckily anytime I wanted a new game and went to GameStop, they always had factory sealed copies.
Old 11-17-09, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by superfro
R You kind of have to remove anything other than the fact that they are competing businesses.
Are they competing though? One sells a new game to anyone who walks in off the street on release day (or in this case prior), the other does not.
Old 11-17-09, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,505 Posts

And what stops them from selling a used game as that "opened store copy?" Or stops them from taking that copy home and playing it?
Old 11-17-09, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Are they competing though? One sells a new game to anyone who walks in off the street on release day (or in this case prior), the other does not.
Old 11-17-09, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by fujishig
And what stops them from selling a used game as that "opened store copy?" Or stops them from taking that copy home and playing it?
I hear they actually let their employes do that.
Old 11-17-09, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Jedi Master 33
I hear they actually let their employes do that.
They do.
Old 11-17-09, 03:18 PM
Banned

Has anyone complained to Better Business Bureau or any other consumer protection agency about Gamestop selling opened games as new? To me that would be the way for the Mom n Pop store to counterattack to the snitch ass bitches that Gamestop has become. If Gamestop had snitch on a Wal-Mart, Target, Toys R Us that would have been another thing, since all those retailers are in the same level of competition, but the Mom n Pop is just a small business. Them selling 20 games before street date doesn't make a difference in Gamestop operations or revenue at all.
Old 11-17-09, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,505 Posts

Originally Posted by anomynous
They do.
I thought someone that worked there defended them saying that they no longer allow employees to take the open games home?
Old 11-17-09, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I guess I always assumed that's how "new games" got to be "open new games" in the first place.
Old 11-17-09, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by superfro
I guess I always assumed that's how "new games" got to be "open new games" in the first place.
Come on, it's obviously to prevent theft. I mean they can't use any old empty case with printed artwork. That would never work.
Old 11-17-09, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dx23
Has anyone complained to Better Business Bureau or any other consumer protection agency about Gamestop selling opened games as new?
BBB is a joke and can't even do shit about truly egregious shit some companies get away with, much less something like this.
Old 11-17-09, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I think the answer would be that if you are going to purchase something from them, ask for a copy that is "factory sealed".
Old 11-17-09, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by starseed1981
I think the answer would be that if you are going to purchase something from them, ask for a copy that is "factory sealed".
Eureka! I can't believe no one's thought of that before
Old 11-17-09, 04:20 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by dx23
Has anyone complained to Better Business Bureau or any other consumer protection agency about Gamestop selling opened games as new?
Originally Posted by BBB
Number of complaints processed by the BBB
in the last 36 months: 283
in the last 12 months: 157

Complaints Concerned:
Selling Practices (59 complaints)
56 Resolved
1 Unresolved
2 The parties could not provide sufficient information to support their positions nor agreeable to make reasonable efforts toward resolving the issue of the dispute
Advertising Issues (56 complaints)
56 Resolved
Service Issues (28 complaints)
24 Resolved
2 Company made every reasonable effort to resolve
2 The parties could not provide sufficient information to support their positions nor agreeable to make reasonable efforts toward resolving the issue of the dispute
Customer Service Issues (3 complaints)
2 Resolved
1 Company did not respond
Credit or Billing Disputes (22 complaints)
22 Resolved
Delivery Issues (25 complaints)
24 Resolved
1 The parties could not provide sufficient information to support their positions nor agreeable to make reasonable efforts toward resolving the issue of the dispute
Refund Practices (22 complaints)
18 Resolved
3 Company made every reasonable effort to resolve
1 Company did not respond
Product Quality (63 complaints)
61 Resolved
Contract Disputes (1 complaints)
1 Resolved
Guarantee or Warranty Issues (3 complaints)
3 Resolved
Repair Issues (1 complaints)
1 Resolved
http://www.fortworth.bbb.org/commonr...ompid=A1021655
Old 11-22-09, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, but what are you going to do. It's not like EB, Funcoland, or Babbages were ever decent videogame retailers. I remember them keeping 1, maybe 2 copies of most games in stock, so unless it was a huge seller like Madden or a Mario game, you were probably never going to be able to buy it. They weren't very efficient with store shelf space either. And considering how badly mangled old boxes used to get... if you were a collector, opened games being sold as new is a minor infraction. And that practice has been done for years by tons of retailers. They open them to put security tags in them. I remember almost all the SNES games I used to buy were tagged on the inside.
Old 11-22-09, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My favorite videogame retailers right now are Sears, Kmart, and Frys. They have a real respect for the product. Well, maybe not frys. I hate how they use zip cords on everything.
Old 11-22-09, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Come on, it's obviously to prevent theft. I mean they can't use any old empty case with printed artwork. That would never work.
TRU does.
Old 11-22-09, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by Superboy
Yeah, but what are you going to do. It's not like EB, Funcoland, or Babbages were ever decent videogame retailers. I remember them keeping 1, maybe 2 copies of most games in stock, so unless it was a huge seller like Madden or a Mario game, you were probably never going to be able to buy it.
Back in the day I never had issues getting games from any of them and you can throw Software Etc. in the batch, they almost always had what I was looking for. And the nice thing about Funco and EB was their used games back in the day were always in good shape and 99% of the time included the manual, since they would pay way less for a game that didn't have it.
Old 11-22-09, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

^ ditto.

Pretty much when the competition between the smaller video game boutiques dried up and GS was the only one left was when they also just happened to turn to shit.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.