Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

The Official GTA IV - multi console super friends thread.

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The Official GTA IV - multi console super friends thread.

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-08, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jonw9
That is how 360 works. A full trigger pull is auto aim, 1/2 is free aim. I have a hard time only pressing it halfway in the heat of the moment. I can't remember, but it is one of the analog sticks that allow you to change targets when locked on.
Is that how it's supposed to work? On both my 360 remotes regardless if it's a full trigger pull or half, it's always in free-aim. I can manage, but still, why won't it auto-aim?
Old 05-06-08, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 501 Likes on 296 Posts
Question about the lawyer mission.

Spoiler:
Do I have to kill the lawyer?
Old 05-06-08, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CKMorpheus
Is that how it's supposed to work? On both my 360 remotes regardless if it's a full trigger pull or half, it's always in free-aim. I can manage, but still, why won't it auto-aim?

Maybe you have auto aim turned off? It should be on by default, or at least mine was.
Old 05-06-08, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I Hate These Fucking Controls!!!!!
Old 05-06-08, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Auto-aim sucks dude. Do you know how many times Niko is still pointing down at a dead body while another guy is blowing me away? A lot. GTA IV tries to do so much but everything is below par, Gears of War blows this game out of the water with the duck and cover system, every racing game blows away the driving controls, Assassin's Creed blows away the melee and counter controls, I could go on but yeah the controls blow.
Old 05-06-08, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 84 Likes on 72 Posts
It's sort of handicapped by the fact it *does* try to include so much. Jack of all trades, master of none to an extent.
Old 05-06-08, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Auto-aim is kind of iffy for me too, but honestly the positives outweigh the negatives for me, as it certainly makes killing a bunch of guys easier.

The controls STILL haven't felt like a boon to me at all.
Old 05-06-08, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by spainlinx0
Question about the lawyer mission.

Spoiler:
Do I have to kill the lawyer?
Spoiler:
Yes, I don't think there is any other option on this one.
Old 05-06-08, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

All of you complaining about having to drive when restarting missions, you realize you can just hail a cab or call Roman for a car right? Just get in and skip the drive and boom you're there a minute later.
Old 05-06-08, 11:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Fandango
All of you complaining about having to drive when restarting missions, you realize you can just hail a cab or call Roman for a car right? Just get in and skip the drive and boom you're there a minute later.
You have just made my All-Star list!!

I didn't know this.

Thank you Sir!!!!
Old 05-06-08, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 938 Likes on 661 Posts
Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Auto-aim sucks dude. Do you know how many times Niko is still pointing down at a dead body while another guy is blowing me away? A lot. GTA IV tries to do so much but everything is below par, Gears of War blows this game out of the water with the duck and cover system, every racing game blows away the driving controls, Assassin's Creed blows away the melee and counter controls, I could go on but yeah the controls blow.
Face it dude, the game's a 10.

I had a much better session this evening. No control problems. Hopped in a cop car and started taking out criminals on the most wanted list. I thought it would pay more than it does. Also shot some glowing birds. That seems to be the most random/asinine quest which I'm sure only relates to an achievement and not the story, ala Condemned. And 200 of them? Yikes. That's hardcore.
Old 05-06-08, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I enjoy the game, but it is NOT a 10.
Old 05-06-08, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well, you need to kill them all to get 100% in the game, the previous games had a similar thing with hidden packages.
Old 05-07-08, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 418 Likes on 314 Posts
Originally Posted by spainlinx0
I enjoy the game, but it is NOT a 10.
You're right, it's an 11.
Old 05-07-08, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The auto aim lock on is driving me crazy. Every single time I want to just use free aim, as soon as I get the reticle within a relatively close proximity to any person, it will just lock onto them and I cannot free aim anymore.

I may get used to it, but so far I much prefer how the system worked in San Andreas, where it would automatically lock onto a target and then you could just move the reticle off them with the analog stick and it would enter (and remain in) free aim mode.
Old 05-07-08, 12:36 AM

Do you know how many times Niko is still pointing down at a dead body while another guy is blowing me away?
That has happened to me a few times but I've found that if I stop aiming and then immediately aim again, it locks onto the correct guy.

I'm having a blast playing this game. I've hardly even played multiplayer but the few matches I've played have been fun as I've found most people don't really take it seriously. I especially enjoy the GTA Race mode where everyone tries to race at first but as soon as a big crash/death happens, it seems like most people go into vigilante mode and just try to screw it up for the people still racing. Fun times!!
Old 05-07-08, 06:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

GTA IV tries to do so much but everything is below par, Gears of War blows this game out of the water with the duck and cover system, every racing game blows away the driving controls, Assassin's Creed blows away the melee and counter controls, I could go on but yeah the controls blow.

Seriously? You are comparing games that focus on one specific thing to one that does all three?

How is the driving on Assassins Creed? Pretty shitty when you are driving a horse. What about the aiming in Forza, and the melee? And the open world of Gears? I mean if Rockstar made one road you could go down linearly, with no turning around, I bet it would be a sweet fucking road!

Maybe that is why I enjoy the game so much. I can just drive around, and if I feel like busting a cap (or a nut) in a bitch I can.
Old 05-07-08, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Seriously? You are comparing games that focus on one specific thing to one that does all three?

How is the driving on Assassins Creed? Pretty shitty when you are driving a horse. What about the aiming in Forza, and the melee? And the open world of Gears? I mean if Rockstar made one road you could go down linearly, with no turning around, I bet it would be a sweet fucking road!

Maybe that is why I enjoy the game so much. I can just drive around, and if I feel like busting a cap (or a nut) in a bitch I can.

Agreed.
Old 05-07-08, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Well, at least you admit it does it poorly.

The thing is, this is now the 4th GTAIII-style game they had. You'd think they'd have some time to improve the control scheme, especially after games like Crackdown and Saint's Row showed that an open-ended sandbox-type game didn't need to have atrocious controls.

I'm not saying GTA4 sucks. But it's not anywhere near perfect.
Old 05-07-08, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 938 Likes on 661 Posts
Originally Posted by The Bus
The thing is, this is now the 4th GTAIII-style game they had. You'd think they'd have some time to improve the control scheme, especially after games like Crackdown and Saint's Row showed that an open-ended sandbox-type game didn't need to have atrocious controls.

I'm not saying GTA4 sucks. But it's not anywhere near perfect.
That's what it all it boils down to right there. Reviewers tossing out the 10s like candy and praising Rockstar for fixing things that were wrong in previous games, which apparently they didn't. 10 indicates a perfect (or damn near perfect game). GTAIV is not that game. It's MOTS with a fresh coat of paint.

Still fun, but not worth the scores it is garnering.
Old 05-07-08, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm still in the beginning of the story mode however Roman is not giving me the mission to pick up Lil Jacob. I'll spoiler what I've done so far and let you know where I'm at.

Spoiler:

I completed the mission where you have to defend Roman at the basketball court from the 3 thugs and one of them drives away, you give chase and kill him in the factory. After that I must have dropped Roman off at the taxi depot and then started on Vlad's missions. I completed all of Vlad's missions (says 100% in the stats).

Now, Roman will not give me any more missions. I've called him up to play darts, pool, go to clubs, etc. He called me once to go out but that was it. Did I screw something up by starting on Vlad's missions before Roman's were completed or should I give it more time?

Thanks
Old 05-07-08, 08:22 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Gooter,

That shouldn't be a problem. When you look at your map are there any big letters indicating that a person has a mission for you (for example, "R" for Roman)?
Old 05-07-08, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by nateman
I need some help with "The Master and the Malotov" mission. I'll spoiler tag the question so it doesn't reveal any spoilers.

Spoiler:
I get to the club where I'm supposed to kill Faustin, and manage to kill the first 2 guards standing right in front of me. After that I always seem to get killed by the guards at the door Faustin went out of so he could escape.

I either a) Get killed by the guards by the door as I'm trying to make my way through the door to get to Faustin or b) he escapes before I even get to the door.

What do I do?
I have a follow up question.

Spoiler:
Are there any other mission before killing Faustin? Because when I looked at my stats I only completed 85% of his missions. The last mission I did was blowing up that one car garage.
Old 05-07-08, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Groucho
Gooter,

That shouldn't be a problem. When you look at your map are there any big letters indicating that a person has a mission for you (for example, "R" for Roman)?
Doh! I forgot that I can initiate missions by visiting others, like I did with Vlad, and not have to wait for them to call me. Thanks Groucho! I'll try it tonight.

On a side note, does anyone else like to collect cars/bikes? I've got a Corvette, a Challenger and a crotch rocket crammed into my safehouse space. Sometimes I just drive around the city looking for new cars or the same car in a different color. Yes, I'm strange. I hope we get more parking spaces later on so I can add to my collection.
Old 05-07-08, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 75 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by firteen88
This is my biggest problem with the game. Some of these missions can take 15-20 minutes to complete, and driving there is just annoying. There should be an auto continuation point so when you/if you die, you start from the spot when you reach the destination.
This is a big problem with MANY games, and it turns enjoyment into total frustration and annoyance. I don't care if a mission's hard--that's great--but in the name of all that's decent don't make me start WAY, WAY back. It really takes a lot of the fun out of it...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.