Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

The Official GTA IV - multi console super friends thread.

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The Official GTA IV - multi console super friends thread.

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-08, 12:29 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
The "restart mission" option is a bit of a tease, since all it really does is teleport you back to where you were right after the cutscene explaining the mission.
Old 05-06-08, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by devilshalo
I dig the driving.. I love taking sharp turns while the cops can't and regularly flip their car trying to follow me.

How often do you people check your email?
I check my email about every hour, real time not game time. I love Craplist. The listing about the guy and the ketchup bottle had my rolling.
Old 05-06-08, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How do you throw molatov cocktails? I was on the mission where you and Little Jacob fight Dimitir's goons in that warehouse and I killed all the bad guys but the cops had the way out covered. So I tried to throw one at the cop car but when I hit RT I dropped the cocktail and caught Little Jacob on fire. So there we were the cops shooting at us and LJ running around screaming on fire. It was pretty funny.
Old 05-06-08, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 137 Posts
Originally Posted by Mopower
How do you throw molatov cocktails? I was on the mission where you and Little Jacob fight Dimitir's goons in that warehouse and I killed all the bad guys but the cops had the way out covered. So I tried to throw one at the cop car but when I hit RT I dropped the cocktail and caught Little Jacob on fire. So there we were the cops shooting at us and LJ running around screaming on fire. It was pretty funny.
I thought you had to be locked on when you throw them. I don't know if holding the button longer in free aim makes you throw farther, but locking on and throwing will put it right on the target assuming they are close enough.
Old 05-06-08, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I need some help with "The Master and the Malotov" mission. I'll spoiler tag the question so it doesn't reveal any spoilers.

Spoiler:
I get to the club where I'm supposed to kill Faustin, and manage to kill the first 2 guards standing right in front of me. After that I always seem to get killed by the guards at the door Faustin went out of so he could escape.

I either a) Get killed by the guards by the door as I'm trying to make my way through the door to get to Faustin or b) he escapes before I even get to the door.

What do I do?
Old 05-06-08, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by nateman
I need some help with "The Master and the Malotov" mission. I'll spoiler tag the question so it doesn't reveal any spoilers.

Spoiler:
I get to the club where I'm supposed to kill Faustin, and manage to kill the first 2 guards standing right in front of me. After that I always seem to get killed by the guards at the door Faustin went out of so he could escape.

I either a) Get killed by the guards by the door as I'm trying to make my way through the door to get to Faustin or b) he escapes before I even get to the door.

What do I do?
If i recall correctly, you pick up some body armor right before the mission, right? I don't remember having any issues taking down all the guys. If you don't already have one, a shotgun works wonders against these guys since they go down in a shot or two.
Old 05-06-08, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's another annoying thing. If you lose a mission it seems like you have to drive for 20 minutes just to start the mission over a game. I pretty much just hail cabs everywhere I go now.
This is my biggest problem with the game. Some of these missions can take 15-20 minutes to complete, and driving there is just annoying. There should be an auto continuation point so when you/if you die, you start from the spot when you reach the destination.
Old 05-06-08, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 501 Likes on 296 Posts
It's these kind of problems that make me question how much beta testing was done. I mean, didn't ANYONE think to bring up these annoyances? What would be their response? Do they think having to do that is a good thing? Is it just plain laziness on their part? Why do these shitty "features" constantly show up in games?
Old 05-06-08, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by fumanstan
If i recall correctly, you pick up some body armor right before the mission, right? I don't remember having any issues taking down all the guys. If you don't already have one, a shotgun works wonders against these guys since they go down in a shot or two.
This.

Spoiler:
Dmitri calls right when you get out of the car and says he's left the body armor around the side.
Old 05-06-08, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by spainlinx0
It's these kind of problems that make me question how much beta testing was done. I mean, didn't ANYONE think to bring up these annoyances? What would be their response? Do they think having to do that is a good thing? Is it just plain laziness on their part? Why do these shitty "features" constantly show up in games?
My guess is any issues raised by beta testing were either deemed not important enough to fix or would jeopardize the release date. Money talks in these situations.
Old 05-06-08, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 786 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by firteen88
This is my biggest problem with the game. Some of these missions can take 15-20 minutes to complete, and driving there is just annoying. There should be an auto continuation point so when you/if you die, you start from the spot when you reach the destination.
How would that be realistic?
Old 05-06-08, 02:28 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I don't think he was arguing that it would be realistic.
Old 05-06-08, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

How would that be realistic?
I assume you're joking but if not, what the helll are you talking about??
What's realistic about failing a mission and having your phone ring asking if you want to restart it?

Enough with the realistic talk, this game is FAR from realistic.
Old 05-06-08, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If the game was truly realistic we'd all only get about 10 minutes in before dying, and then Niko would be dead for good.
Old 05-06-08, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Forgive me for being late to the party, but are there any tips to not suck at driving? Every time I hit up or down on the left analog, all it does is zoom in and out. Is there anyway to change that? Thanks.
Old 05-06-08, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 84 Likes on 72 Posts
Hit Select, I think, on 360 to change views.
Practice and try different cars.
I just finally successfully finished Search and Delete...after the tenth try.
And then for some reason some passerby starts shooting at me--the first time this has happened--and I can't fire back or get in the car because I'm listening to Brucie.

Not select, Back...sorry, ten years of Playstation gaming there.

I don't necessarily need more realistic...I would like more "playable".

Last edited by tonyc3742; 05-06-08 at 03:35 PM.
Old 05-06-08, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 786 Likes on 567 Posts
I assume you're joking but if not, what the helll are you talking about??
What's realistic about failing a mission and having your phone ring asking if you want to restart it?

Enough with the realistic talk, this game is FAR from realistic.
Yes, I was joking.. I guess I needed to add the .

As far as failing a mission and having to restart it.. how is that any different from say.. failing certain missions on God of War (Or Prince of Persia) in which you need to reach a save point or else start all over again?
Old 05-06-08, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
I thought you had to be locked on when you throw them. I don't know if holding the button longer in free aim makes you throw farther, but locking on and throwing will put it right on the target assuming they are close enough.

Is that the case with auto aim off?
Old 05-06-08, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mopower
Is that the case with auto aim off?
Not sure - is that something you turn off in the control settings?

I may actually do that, since many times I want to aim at someone in the car but if I hit L2 to lock on (probably LT on 360), I wind up targeting someone else.

I've found I have to very lightly on the right trigger to bring up the crosshair without actually firing and then aim.
Old 05-06-08, 04:48 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

RE beta testing--there were probably more pressing issues that needed to get fixed first. Things that made the game NOT WORK. After these get fixed, they move on to fixing other issues. I think they may have not had time for ALL the issues to get fixed. STILL, what we dont know they fixed could have been HUGE.
Old 05-06-08, 05:03 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

Awesome map for those searching for the Text message cars:

Spoiler:
Old 05-06-08, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just don't die!?

I agree with you completely, but on the drive over during a replay of Waste Not Want Knots, Mcreary and his boys had a completely different conversation than the first trip ... and it was pretty damn funny. Worth having the ride all over again? ... don't know about that, but still.
Old 05-06-08, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
Not sure - is that something you turn off in the control settings?

I may actually do that, since many times I want to aim at someone in the car but if I hit L2 to lock on (probably LT on 360), I wind up targeting someone else.

I've found I have to very lightly on the right trigger to bring up the crosshair without actually firing and then aim.
That is how 360 works. A full trigger pull is auto aim, 1/2 is free aim. I have a hard time only pressing it halfway in the heat of the moment. I can't remember, but it is one of the analog sticks that allow you to change targets when locked on.
Old 05-06-08, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by nateman

Spoiler:

What do I do?
I killed the first two guys them just ran through the door after Faustin. Killed maybe one other guy in the alley and then ran up the stairs. No problem.
Old 05-06-08, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by GoVegan
I tried taking Michelle to the strip club, but there were no dancers walking around. That was a little disappointing. I wanted to see her reaction to my thinking that would be a great second date idea.
Michelle has no reaction but when you move on to Carmen she'll sit there with you.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.