Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Official Nintendo DS Thread VIII: 65 Million Strong.. and Growing

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Official Nintendo DS Thread VIII: 65 Million Strong.. and Growing

Old 05-07-08, 11:25 AM
  #51  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Michael Corvin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 61,377
Received 514 Likes on 365 Posts
Sweet. Gonna have to check out that Ninja Gaiden demo later.
Old 05-07-08, 02:20 PM
  #52  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Jersey represent!
Posts: 5,643
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For me, Ninja Gaiden: Dragon Sword just got too repetitive, even as short as it was. I hit an annoying boss fight in Chapter 10 and just gave up on it and sent it back to Gamefly.

The next game that they sent to me was The World Ends With You, and I don't really get it. The main character is an annoying emo kid, the dialog is corny, and the story is nonsense. I'll stick with it a little longer, and hopefully the gameplay will make up for the unlikeable characters and silly plot, but I haven't really enjoyed a Square game since FF III and FF VII, so maybe it's just not for me.

I did pick up Crosswords DS this morning, and I'm really liking it. The handwriting recognition is good as long as you remember to dot your i's. They also threw in some word search and anagram puzzles to mix things up a bit, and with 1,000 puzzles, I'll probably be playing this one for a while.
Old 05-07-08, 02:23 PM
  #53  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
xmiyux's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: WV
Posts: 9,910
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by UncleGramps
I did pick up Crosswords DS this morning, and I'm really liking it. The handwriting recognition is good as long as you remember to dot your i's. They also threw in some word search and anagram puzzles to mix things up a bit, and with 1,000 puzzles, I'll probably be playing this one for a while.
Did you play the New York Times crossword puzzle game? Is this new one more or less difficult?

I like the NYT game but it did highlight for me how much i suck at crosswords.
Old 05-07-08, 02:29 PM
  #54  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Jersey represent!
Posts: 5,643
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by xmiyux
Did you play the New York Times crossword puzzle game? Is this new one more or less difficult?

I like the NYT game but it did highlight for me how much i suck at crosswords.
Yup, I have the NYT game too, and so far the puzzles in this one are easier. I've only scratched the surface of this new game, but so far the clues are not as well written (which makes sense given the NYT's reputation for crossword puzzles) but the visuals and interface have a bit more polish. Granted, there are probably plenty of tough puzzles later in the game, but Crosswords DS seems to cater more to a mass audience with a wide array of easier puzzles, whereas NYT seemed to be aimed at crossword aficionados.
Old 05-07-08, 02:50 PM
  #55  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Plano, TX
Posts: 23,226
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would like a Scrabble DS.
Old 05-07-08, 02:57 PM
  #56  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Jersey represent!
Posts: 5,643
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PixyJunket
I would like a Scrabble DS.
That would be pretty awesome as long as the built-in dictionary was really comprehensive.
Old 05-07-08, 04:36 PM
  #57  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Plano, TX
Posts: 23,226
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 05-07-08, 04:44 PM
  #58  
DVD Talk Hero
 
pinata242's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Owasso, OK
Posts: 30,154
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Pixy, you're such a fucking cock tease

Link? Info? Or just "believe"?

Jade. Pit. Crono. 071508.
Old 05-07-08, 09:58 PM
  #59  
DVD Talk Legend
 
darkside's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 19,848
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by UncleGramps
That would be pretty awesome as long as the built-in dictionary was really comprehensive.
I have a version on the Palm OS and it is very good and has a decent dictionary. They could easily do this for the DS.
Old 05-08-08, 09:36 AM
  #60  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Midwest
Posts: 5,709
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Man I love Chrono Trigger.
Old 05-12-08, 04:28 PM
  #61  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Plano, TX
Posts: 23,226
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Avalon Code is an upcoming action RPG from the developers of the Final Fantasy III and IV remakes (Matrix). The still shots look really good, I can't wait to see it in action as action RPGs have been some of my favorite games in the last few years.

Official Website (not sure what's there since it's blocked for me):
http://www.mmv.co.jp/special/game/ds/avaloncode/
Old 05-12-08, 05:12 PM
  #62  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Goldberg74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 17,448
Received 174 Likes on 109 Posts
Originally Posted by PixyJunket
Avalon Code is an upcoming action RPG from the developers of the Final Fantasy III and IV remakes (Matrix). The still shots look really good, I can't wait to see it in action as action RPGs have been some of my favorite games in the last few years.

Official Website (not sure what's there since it's blocked for me):
http://www.mmv.co.jp/special/game/ds/avaloncode/
Here's a screen shot of the site. All it has for content in 4 pictures in the lower right.

Old 05-12-08, 06:59 PM
  #63  
DVD Talk Legend
 
darkside's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 19,848
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Avalon Code looks pretty cool. Definitely a game I want.
I picked up some DS stuff recently new and used with the 25% off used coupon at Gamestop.

Crosswords is fantastic. I liked the New York Times crosswords, but honestly was out of my depth for many of those questions. The questions are much easier to deal in this game and the book style interface is a big improvement. I also love the wordsearch and anagram modes. I had to go to three stores to find it as the first two were sold out. Guess this one is catching some people's attentions.

The World Ends With You is a pretty unique experience. The animation style is gorgeous and the gameplay is something that could only work on the DS. That said fighting on two screens is not easy and I may leave the top screen on auto. The control on the bottom screen is kind of tricky with the stylus and it is hard to also check the top to see when you need to tap the directional. I may get used to it in time though. Jupiter is the developer and is pretty much know for titles like Spectrobes and Picross DS. Sadly, I don't think this title is selling and its a shame considering the effort that went into making a very cool and unique title.

Flipper Critters I picked up on a whim since it is only $10 now and I was pleasantly surprised. It is rough around the edges and a little cutesy with the animal characters, but I liked their 3D engine and didn't have any major issues with the core pinball experience though touching a screen while also using the flippers is a bit odd.

Hopefully I can spend some more time with the World Ends With You once I finish up with GTA IV on the console.

Last edited by darkside; 05-12-08 at 07:05 PM.
Old 05-13-08, 09:35 PM
  #64  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Quake1028's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Hurricanes Season Ticket Holder
Posts: 26,593
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Darkside: I know you wanted to get your wife the Nancy Drew DS game. Amazon has it for $11.69 right now, if you haven't already grabbed it.
Old 05-13-08, 11:28 PM
  #65  
DVD Talk Legend
 
astrochimp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 17,803
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by darkside
Crosswords is fantastic. I liked the New York Times crosswords, but honestly was out of my depth for many of those questions. The questions are much easier to deal in this game and the book style interface is a big improvement. I also love the wordsearch and anagram modes. I had to go to three stores to find it as the first two were sold out. Guess this one is catching some people's attentions.
Yeah im really enjoying CrossworDS too.Perfect game for me to play at work on my breaks and lunches and it finally got me to remove Picross from my DS
Old 05-13-08, 11:49 PM
  #66  
DVD Talk Legend
 
darkside's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 19,848
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Quake1028
Darkside: I know you wanted to get your wife the Nancy Drew DS game. Amazon has it for $11.69 right now, if you haven't already grabbed it.
Thanks. She got it already used at EB and I think she beat it the same day. It is a game for young girls and wasn't exactly challenging though she said it was fun while it lasted. She is weird in her game choices to be honest. Loves those Lost in Blue games and anything named Harvest Moon.

Last edited by darkside; 05-13-08 at 11:51 PM.
Old 05-14-08, 09:12 AM
  #67  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Plano, TX
Posts: 23,226
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guildford, UK — May 14, 2008 — The Sims™, an Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ: ERTS) Label, today announced first details for MySims™ Kingdom, the next experience from the creators of MySims™. Launching exclusively on the Wii™ and Nintendo DS™ platforms, MySims Kingdom sets you on a story of adventure, discovery and exploration to help King Roland and his subjects revitalize the Kingdom. Launching globally in autumn 2008, MySims Kingdom for the Wii and Nintendo DS puts the creativity in your hands to make the Kingdom something to behold!

MySims Kingdom for the Wii
King Roland needs your help to make the Kingdom a better place. Throughout this tale to bring the Kingdom back to its former glory, you must help new and old friends alike, discover new lands and build to the limit of your imagination.

Your MySims Kingdom experience begins in The Capital, the majestic land at the center of your story-telling. Check out the Castle, explore this first land and begin to meet your first set of new friends, including King Roland, Princess Butter, and the Wizard Marlon. Find out more of what awaits you here and then get in your boat to sail to many more lands on the horizon!

Throughout your journey new characters, lands, and clever new contraptions will be revealed. Construct and do everything from tending your pigs to finding treasure chests. Newly-added building options will help you accomplish the tasks you’re challenged with along the way, including building broken bridges. In true MySims fashion, everything is customizable, allowing every creation within your world to have a signature look.

There is a lot more to discover in regions beyond The Capital, so stay tuned for more characters, contraptions and lands that are yet to be revealed!

MySims Kingdom for Nintendo DS
Take the Kingdom with you! MySims Kingdom on Nintendo DS adds a new chapter to the saga, challenging you to help the King thwart the plans of evil in a far flung corner of the Kingdom. Many new activities and mini-games are included to help you persuade the King that your island is the ultimate royal destination.

“MySims has been met with such enthusiasm by players and families everywhere, we are excited to make MySims its own franchise within The Sims Label,” said Rod Humble, Head of Studio for The Sims Label. “MySims Kingdom has players helping King Roland and his subjects make the MySims world a better place by completing rewarding quests, building houses, bridges or even making contraptions powered by electricity or water. And MySims Kingdom on Nintendo DS, adds many new activities such as kayaking, ski jumping, populating the town zoo and many others!”

Since its launch in September 2007, MySims quickly rose to global success and is loved by players everywhere, having sold 2.8 million copies worldwide to date. The second installment in the franchise, MySims Kingdom, will hit retail shelves across North America, Europe and Asia in Fall of 2008. For more information on MySims, please visit www.mysims.com.
Old 05-14-08, 11:10 AM
  #68  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Plano, TX
Posts: 23,226
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts


Old 05-14-08, 11:53 AM
  #69  
DVD Talk Hero
 
slop101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: So. Cal.
Posts: 42,640
Received 241 Likes on 170 Posts
I don't know if I'm getting tired of the same Castlevania formula over and over, or if it's the games themselves that aren't as good as they used to be.

I'd like to see a 2-D version on the consoles - with highly detailed, hi-res sprites (think Odin Sphere) and super fluid animation (think Street Fighter 3), and of course, gameplay tighter than a 13-year old virgin.
Old 05-14-08, 01:13 PM
  #70  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 2,896
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just heard that the DS will have a go game! Nice... Not sure if there's a US release, but tempted to get a Japanese version.

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-...y-70-2nun.html

Now you can play go on the go Also, makes matches more interesting. It's like Yugioh or something, "let's duel!" and you take out your DS

The go game should do well on the DS, since touching the screen to put a stone down is virtually the same as putting down a stone, nice! Of course, i'm more interested in game saves and the ability to observe a game (wow, that would be nice).
Old 05-14-08, 01:18 PM
  #71  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
xmiyux's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: WV
Posts: 9,910
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ocelot
Just heard that the DS will have a go game! Nice... Not sure if there's a US release, but tempted to get a Japanese version.

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-...y-70-2nun.html

Now you can play go on the go Also, makes matches more interesting. It's like Yugioh or something, "let's duel!" and you take out your DS

The go game should do well on the DS, since touching the screen to put a stone down is virtually the same as putting down a stone, nice! Of course, i'm more interested in game saves and the ability to observe a game (wow, that would be nice).
That will be awesome. Any word yet on whether it will allow online play (eg. wifi not just wireless). I can't imagine gamesaves being that useful though compared to getting a commented sgf file off a server like KGS and viewing it on your PC (all of which can be done for free).

I am surprised though that it isn't a Hikaru themed game.
Old 05-14-08, 01:25 PM
  #72  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
xmiyux's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: WV
Posts: 9,910
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Also to head off the questions.

Yes, i am a great big Igo/Baduk dork.
Old 05-14-08, 01:31 PM
  #73  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 2,896
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by xmiyux
That will be awesome. Any word yet on whether it will allow online play (eg. wifi not just wireless). I can't imagine gamesaves being that useful though compared to getting a commented sgf file off a server like KGS and viewing it on your PC (all of which can be done for free).

I am surprised though that it isn't a Hikaru themed game.
i'm surprised that it's not Hikaru themed too... Perhaps that anime is old, the game will not sell.

Yeah, game saves are not useful comparing to those sgf files, but to play on KGS or IGS, you need a computer...

Online play is definitely cool and more opponents too. I'm not sure... Since the DS can go online, i don't see why not. However, the game is tagged at $15, so i'm guessing it doesn't. The only advantage i'm seeing here is portability, no need for boards and stones. So you can load up famous games to show to people or study them yourself on the go. I think even for that reason, it's good enough to own this game. Of course, the biggest problem is that, how do you convert the sgf files to be used on the DS
Old 05-14-08, 01:34 PM
  #74  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
xmiyux's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: WV
Posts: 9,910
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ocelot
i'm surprised that it's not Hikaru themed too... Perhaps that anime is old, the game will not sell.

Yeah, game saves are not useful comparing to those sgf files, but to play on KGS or IGS, you need a computer...

Online play is definitely cool and more opponents too. I'm not sure... Since the DS can go online, i don't see why not. However, the game is tagged at $15, so i'm guessing it doesn't. The only advantage i'm seeing here is portability, no need for boards and stones. So you can load up famous games to show to people or study them yourself on the go. I think even for that reason, it's good enough to own this game. Of course, the biggest problem is that, how do you convert the sgf files to be used on the DS
I also really wonder how difficult it will be to place a stone on a 19x19 board with the accuracy needed using just the DS's touch screen.
Old 05-14-08, 01:39 PM
  #75  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 2,896
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by xmiyux
I also really wonder how difficult it will be to place a stone on a 19x19 board with the accuracy needed using just the DS's touch screen.
i guess i overlooked at the display problem.... you're right, 19x19 on the tiny screen can be tricky. The stones gonna be very small and touching it with the stylus will be problemati control-wise, forget about playing with your fingers... I guess it's really for 9x9 then, ah man...

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.