Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Official Xbox 360 Thread - Part IIIIIIIIIII

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-08, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
The DRM issue is such: every piece of DLC you download is tied to BOTH your Gamertag AND the console(not the hard drive, but that particular serial number). So if you exchange your console your DLC will no longer work offline. You will have to be connected(so that MS can see your Gamertag) to play any and all previous downloaded games/maps/content.

Somebody else can probably explain it better than that though.
Old 05-04-08, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by grivet
Therefore when your system craps out and you receive a replacement, you can only access your XBLA games and DLC if you're online due to some verification requirement.
That's 100% correct. I had to send my entire unit back to Circuit City, thus losing all of my HD content. They sent me a GC for the amount I purchased the 360 for. They responded quickly, but now I'm only able to access my XBLA/DLC stuff with an internet connection. Small price to pay for minimal hassle in getting a new unit, but sucks that I have to connect to play Symphony of the Night now or get the bonus characters on Marvel: UA.

In hindsight though, I'd go with MS.
Old 05-04-08, 08:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
The DRM issue is such: every piece of DLC you download is tied to BOTH your Gamertag AND the console(not the hard drive, but that particular serial number). So if you exchange your console your DLC will no longer work offline. You will have to be connected(so that MS can see your Gamertag) to play any and all previous downloaded games/maps/content.

Somebody else can probably explain it better than that though.
No, no, thanks for the explanation! It certainly helps to know I was in the right ballpark.

From what I understand when you go through MS coffin process you rarely if ever receive your actual original console back, so does MS re-sync your gamertag with the replacement console, or are all the people who have ever had to send in their system for repair unable to access their downloads offline? That would seem like a hell of a lot of people.

Assuming you can still retain your hard drive with the Best Buy replacement plan I guess I'm just not seeing the advantage of the MS warranty regarding the DRM issue.

Oh, btw, is this type of discussion ok for this thread? I searched and didn't find an FAQ or new owner type thread.
Old 05-04-08, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts
Due to piracy reasons, when you get a new console, your games do not automatically resync. That said, you can contact Microsoft and have them resync your account to your new console so you can play the games offline. Hear it takes like 30 days.
Old 05-04-08, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
What's considered standard game invite etiquette? Not that I'm some huge online social butterfly, but it happened this weekend that I got some invites when I was already playing with a group. A couple them I responded to with either "I don't have that game" or "i'm already with a group, catch you next time" but I'm wondering what everyone else does.
Old 05-04-08, 11:28 PM

Thanks for all your responses.

I was able to find a 171 page thread on the Xbox forums addressing this issue, lol, so evidently it's been a bit of a problem for a while now. As RichC2 said, you can contact Microsoft support to have your DRM license restored for offline play, but achieving a satisfactory resolution sounds bothersome at best as there still seem to be a lot of people with unresolved issues. However, according to this MS support article you can restore the license to your replacement/refurb by following some steps that don't require a phone call.

Evidently license restoration is only possible for warranty replacements or repairs, so people who upgrade to Elites or have to buy replacement consoles are out of luck.

Originally Posted by TimeandTide
I had to send my entire unit back to Circuit City, thus losing all of my HD content. They sent me a GC for the amount I purchased the 360 for. They responded quickly, but now I'm only able to access my XBLA/DLC stuff with an internet connection. Small price to pay for minimal hassle in getting a new unit, but sucks that I have to connect to play Symphony of the Night now or get the bonus characters on Marvel: UA.
According to that MS support article, you should be able to have your license restored as well even with a b&m warranty:

"Note If you exchanged your console at retail by using the retailer's return policy instead of sending the console directly to the Xbox Repair Center, these steps do not restore your licenses, and you must contact support at (800) 4MYXBOX (469-9269) to have your licenses manually restored."

Did you ever attempt this, TimeandTide? I expect to be in the same boat one day and am curious how your situation played out.
Old 05-05-08, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

the Bourne Conspiracy
demo is up according to Major Nelson.

Can't wait to check that one out. It looks cool but after getting burned on Lost, I'm definitely waiting for reviews and feedback first.
Old 05-05-08, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by grivet
However, according to this MS support article you can restore the license to your replacement/refurb by following some steps that don't require a phone call.
Unfortunately, that doesn't always work. I still ended up having to call 1-800-4MY-XBOX and essentially tell my life's story to the Microsoft CSRs so they'd start the process of license transfer.
Old 05-05-08, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Do MS or the publishers remove items from Live Marketplace? If so, why?

I wanted to download some of the Marvel Ultimate Alliance themes and gamer pics (after seeing the movie Iron Man of course ) and I don't see them up there anymore. If items are removed, how would you download them again if your Xbox needs to be replaced? I doubt they would reimburse you for the purchase of the content.

Thanks
Old 05-05-08, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

AFAIK the only instance of things being removed are broken demos and promotional themes/gamerpics(free shit).
Old 05-05-08, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,210 Likes on 4,236 Posts
Originally Posted by Gooter
Do MS or the publishers remove items from Live Marketplace? If so, why?

I wanted to download some of the Marvel Ultimate Alliance themes and gamer pics (after seeing the movie Iron Man of course ) and I don't see them up there anymore. If items are removed, how would you download them again if your Xbox needs to be replaced? I doubt they would reimburse you for the purchase of the content.

Thanks
Everything you've ever downloaded (even free stuff no longer available) is in your DL History. I think that's under Account Management. You can re-download from there.
Old 05-05-08, 04:46 PM

Take with a grain of salt!

http://www.dailygame.net/news/archives/007655.php

Xbox 360 with Blu-ray Coming in 2008, Says Manufacturer

05/04/08

Just over a month ago, we reported that Lite-On was supposedly developing an internal Blu-ray drive for the Xbox 360. While that report has yet to be debunked or confirmed, another report today indicates that an Xbox 360 equipped with an internal Blu-ray drive could very well be on the way this year, even if it doesn't come from Lite-On.

According to the Chinese newspaper Economic Daily News, Asustek subsidiary Pegatron Technology has received orders directly from Microsoft to assemble a new Xbox 360 equipped with an internal Blu-ray drive.

As if that news weren't big enough, here's the real shocker: the new Xbox 360s with internal Blu-ray drives are scheduled to ship between July and September this year.
Chris

also http://www.engadget.com/2008/05/02/x...-by-september/

Last edited by mrpayroll; 05-05-08 at 04:50 PM.
Old 05-05-08, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Strange. This story came out today with yet another denial from Microsoft.

http://www.engadget.com/2008/05/05/m...rts-yet-again/
Old 05-05-08, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin

the Bourne Conspiracy
demo is up according to Major Nelson.

Can't wait to check that one out. It looks cool but after getting burned on Lost, I'm definitely waiting for reviews and feedback first.
I never had high hopes for this one. Will check out the demo if I can peel myself away from GTA IV.
Old 05-05-08, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'll have to check it too. The website for the game looks really good. Too good to be true.
Old 05-06-08, 08:20 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I tried the Bourne demo last night. I thought it did an excellent job of translating the kinetic energy from the films, and it was great fun to play.

However, the sample missions were very linear -- not unlike a rail shooter -- and the game takes direct control from you (to show cutscenes) much too often. Based on that, I think I'd be interested in the full game -- but probably only as a rental or bargain bin purchase.
Old 05-06-08, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The Bourne demo was pretty damn good and I'm still fairly excited to play the full game.
Old 05-06-08, 11:52 AM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, you'd think if they were going to do it, and there were no real legal obstacles, they'd do it ASAP.
Old 05-06-08, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Haven't played the demo yet but I read today that Matt Damon doesn't support the game. He wanted it to be more like a puzzle game ala Myst where Bourne is searching for clues to his memory but the makers of the game obviously wanted a game that would kick ass.
Old 05-06-08, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well my second 360 just died. I didn't get the 3 red rings though. This time I got 1 red ring in the lower right corner and an E74 error code on the screen. I was playing GTA IV at the time. Of course my warranty has expired so I had to pay the $99 bucks to get a coffin shipped. Sigh. Hopefully they will get me a replacement soon.
Old 05-07-08, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
As there been any talk of a spring 08 dashboard update yet?

I really want to be able to organize my friends into subgroups because it's starting to spread out too much.

Also, is there a set schedule for new titles to be added to the Arcade Hits library? Looks like it took 3 months from wave 1 to 2 last time, so we should see another round in early-mid June, I'd wager.
Old 05-08-08, 02:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 404 Likes on 304 Posts
I only played a little of the Bourne demo but it was alot of fun.
Old 05-08-08, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,210 Likes on 4,236 Posts
New demo up :

Demo: GRID
Content: GRID Demo
Price: Free
Availability: All Xbox LIVE regions
Dash Text: [ESRB: E (Everyone)] It's time to get on the GRID as this superb demo showcases racing in the three regions playable in the full game; Europe Touring Cars at Jarama Circuit, U.S Muscle cars at San Francisco and Japanese Drift Racing at Yokohama Docks. Compete online in the European and U.S races and check out the time trial competitions for the chance to win a car and other ace prizes.
Old 05-08-08, 09:49 AM
2017 TOTY Winner

Originally Posted by edstein
Well my second 360 just died. I didn't get the 3 red rings though. This time I got 1 red ring in the lower right corner and an E74 error code on the screen. I was playing GTA IV at the time. Of course my warranty has expired so I had to pay the $99 bucks to get a coffin shipped. Sigh. Hopefully they will get me a replacement soon.

Before you do anything, try the plugs. Unplug and replug the video cord and see if that helps. Sometimes it may have jarred loose. That code refers to the connections, not the overheating issue.

"...In most cases, this is caused by a loose or damaged AV cable.
Unplug your AV cable from the console and TV and replug it firmly.
If the error still persists, try a different AV cable."
Old 05-08-08, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Save Ferris
Before you do anything, try the plugs. Unplug and replug the video cord and see if that helps. Sometimes it may have jarred loose. That code refers to the connections, not the overheating issue.

"...In most cases, this is caused by a loose or damaged AV cable.
Unplug your AV cable from the console and TV and replug it firmly.
If the error still persists, try a different AV cable."
I did plug and unplug the AV cable and the power cable a couple of times. I'll try once more before I lay it to rest in the coffin.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.