Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

GH3 / Guitar Hero III Thread III

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-08, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by REL77
Good Luck Rabbit... We all wish you the best luck... PLEASE GET IT ON VIDEO....
Thanks. I do know that I've gotten way better at playing under pressure and while standing up just by playing in several live tournaments this past month so that should help a bit.

And my wife is definitely bringing the camcorder.
Old 03-28-08, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just hope that a girl does not make it into the finals. Cleavage beats a Full Combo any day of the week with judges.
Old 03-28-08, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by edstein
Just hope that a girl does not make it into the finals. Cleavage beats a Full Combo any day of the week with judges.
Cleavage pretty much trumps anything in any contest.
Old 03-28-08, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Here's some inspiration for you Rabbit.
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/vzosQb-PPe0&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/vzosQb-PPe0&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
Old 03-29-08, 10:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Switching gears from virtuoso competition players to newbies ...

I have a PS2 and was considering getting GHIII this summer. Am I better off getting the guitar/game package or is there a better guitar out there? Reviews have given me conflicting information and I couldn't find anything concrete in this thread (granted, I didn't look that hard ...)

Anyhoo, any recommendations are welcome. Obviously, "bang for the buck" scenarios are the best, but I also wanted to know from y'all if there were guitars (third party or whatever) that had better durability, responsiveness, etc.

Thanks all.

Best of luck to you, Rabbit!
Old 03-30-08, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I am having a horrible time trying to get my Guitar to sync. I bought the PS2 versions with the Thrasher wireless guitar and I can't get it to sync to save my life. It has brand new batteries. I've checked the neck of the guitar. I've made sure the guitar is on. I've held down the little button on the receiver for 10 seconds. The receiver blinks quickly and the red light on the guitar blinks when I push a button. When I hold the receiver button, the red light flashes slowly, maybe once per second, but when I let it go and then hit the green button (or any button for that matter) the receiver just continues to blink quickly.

I really don't want to have to return this, but I wanted to check with the experts first.

Thank you in advance for your help.
Old 03-31-08, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'd say go with the package. My GF picked up GH3 for the PS2 to practice, and I actually like the feel of the guitar - plus, it's wireless
Old 03-31-08, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts
Anyone who's really, really sick of playing the Dragonforce song should try deleting all of their save game data and then play the game all the way up to the final battle, but never finish it. I would assume it wouldn't be playable online if you hadn't unlocked it. (I'm not actually certain about that, though, so don't blame me if you try it and it doesn't work.)
Old 03-31-08, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by GoVegan
Anyone who's really, really sick of playing the Dragonforce song should try deleting all of their save game data and then play the game all the way up to the final battle, but never finish it. I would assume it wouldn't be playable online if you hadn't unlocked it. (I'm not actually certain about that, though, so don't blame me if you try it and it doesn't work.)
You assume wrong.
Old 03-31-08, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Mordred
You assume wrong.
I do that frequently.

I guess if I'd thought about it I would have remembered how I hopped online with the Wii version right away and played Suck my Kiss and Sabotage before I'd unlocked them.
Old 03-31-08, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by Liver&Onions
I'd say go with the package. My GF picked up GH3 for the PS2 to practice, and I actually like the feel of the guitar - plus, it's wireless
Thanks Liver! There certainly isn't a problem with availability.
Old 03-31-08, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Corrected disc showed up today

Now for it to go back to Activision for the refund program so I can put that money to RB. At least that uses UPS 3 day with tracking
Old 04-07-08, 11:25 AM
Suspended

Charlie Daniels is angry!
http://www.licksandclicks.com/2008/0...e-daniels.html

Originally Posted by Charlie Daniels
I had a rude awakening recently when I looked at a video game.

It was called Guitar Hero and is wildly popular with the younger set. I heard they had used one of my songs but I hadn't seen it until recently and when I did I was in for some unpleasant surprises.

The game features a rock band playing heavy metal covers of different songs and enables the player to become part of the band, pushing colored buttons on a faux guitar neck which correspond with colors going by on the screen as the song plays.

Actually the game really has a dark side complete with grotesque monsters on stage with the band, strange, eerie lighting effects and all manner of weird things popping up on the stage.

To tell you the truth the whole thing bothered me and struck me as something that is not the healthiest thing in the world for young, impressionable minds to be exposed to, but the thing that really got me was what they had done with my song.

The song, "The Devil Went Down To Georgia," which I wrote, is supposed to be a lighthearted novelty about a fiddling contest between a country boy and the devil and the devil always loses.

That is not the case with the Guitar Hero version which comes complete with a horned, guitar-playing devil who battles the player and very often wins.

I want any of you parents out there whose children have this game to know that I did not grant these people my permission to pervert my song and am disgusted with the result.

Unfortunately I lost the publishing rights on the song many years ago in a settlement with a former partner and the license to Guitar Hero was granted by the company who now owns the publishing.

I would never grant permission for some company to create a video game version of a song I wrote in which the devil wins a contest and I'm sorely disappointed with the company who owns the copyright for not policing the situation. As it is they have allowed these people to violate the very essence of the song.

At this time I don't know if I have any legal recourse, probably not, but I wanted you folks to know that I vehemently disagree with what has been done to a piece of my work. And would like to pass along a little advice to parents of young children.

This game looks innocent enough but if you have a child who is playing it, take the time to sit with him or her while they're playing along and take a serious look at the images on the screen.

You may be surprised at the world they're being exposed to.

Pray for our troops

What do you think?

God Bless America

Charlie Daniels

April 4, 2008
Old 04-07-08, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

can I laugh?
Old 04-07-08, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I just wish they would have kept a country like voice with the new guitar riff.
Old 04-07-08, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Wow. He can't be serious, can he? Someone needs to tell him April Fool's was a few days ago.
Old 04-07-08, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I would've preferred the Primus version

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Q9tEdbwXxXw&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Q9tEdbwXxXw&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
Old 04-07-08, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts
heh, I saw an article header earlier of Def Leppard confirms GHIV appearance and had to take a second look to figure out what the hell GHIV was. I thought it was a mutated STD.
Old 04-07-08, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin

Wow. He can't be serious, can he? Someone needs to tell him April Fool's was a few days ago.
Of course he's serious. Poor guy wrote a lighthearted song about making a wager with the Prince of Darkness and some jerks went and put it into a game which is possible to lose! Also, they gave the devil horns.
Old 04-07-08, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
I would've preferred the Primus version

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Q9tEdbwXxXw&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Q9tEdbwXxXw&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
I raise you a Keith Urban

<embed width="425" height="355" src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ioD7gp41GYU&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent"></embed>
Old 04-07-08, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
I raise you a Keith Urban
He's country.
Old 04-07-08, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
He's country.
And Australian! If you've never seen that vid, you owe it to yourself to watch it.
Old 04-07-08, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
And Australian! If you've never seen that vid, you owe it to yourself to watch it.
Ugh. If I end up puking, I'm sending you the bill.

And thanks for the spoiler warning!
Spoiler:
about him being austrailian, this has ties to Lost now and I hate you for it. ;-)
Old 04-09-08, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
I just received details for this Monday's ampm contest finals. I'm so excited since the grand prize is a quality guitar. I just need to win 4 matches, possibly 3. Hopefully my tournament experience will pay off.

PLAY-OFF OVERVIEW

The ampm Guitar Hero III Championship play-off event will be executed in a bracket-style elimination format, similar to that of the NCAA Basketball Tournament. For each round, players will all play the same song, which will be chosen randomly by the band OK GO. All songs will be played at the “Expert” level.

For each round, your Guitar Hero III score will count for 60% of your final score. The other 40% will be determined by your Rock-Star style. This can include rock star-esque clothing or attitude when performing and the crowd’s response.

SCORING BREAKDOWN

Guitar Hero III Score: 60%
Rock-Star Style and Performance: 40%
- Stage Presence
- Crowd Response
- Appearance/Wardrobe/Costume

JUDGING

The judging panel (OK GO band members and a BP executive) will determine 40% of each bracket winner’s total score based on a grading scale of 1 to 10 with 1 being the lowest and 10 being the highest.

PLAYER LINE-UP

The first round will have the six finalists who achieved the highest scores during in-store events compete against the six finalists with the lowest scores. The six winners of round one will advance to the second round. The three winners of round two will advance to the semi-finals, during which the player who scored the highest score in round two will automatically advance to the championship round and the remaining two winners from round two will compete against each other to move on to the final championship.

AWARDS

We will be shipping the majority of the prizes to you within the week following the tournament.

Grand Prize Winner:
- A brand-new Paul Reed Smith guitar autographed by OK GO
- An Xbox 360 gaming system
- A Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock game
- A basket of Too Much Good Stuff from ampm (value: $300)

11 Finalists:

- A Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock game
- A Guitar Hero III T-shirt
- A basket of Too Much Good Stuff from ampm (value: $150)

PLAY-OFF ATTIRE

Creativity is strongly encouraged! Remember, your clothing will count towards your final score. Please do not wear anything offensive or borderline offensive.
Video next Tuesday!
Old 04-09-08, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Looks like you need to dress the part, rabbit. Oh, and if you win, can I have dibs on your GH3 game?

Good luck!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.