Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

One Year Later with a Wii...I need help deciding between 360 or PS3

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 12-11-07, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm 27 and have grown up playing video games. I've own just about every system and was excited to buy a Wii on release date. I've played the Wii off and on but I went to my friendís house and playing his 360 made me realize how much I miss a sit out and play console. I'll list the pro and cons I can think of been the 360 and PS3.

Xbox 360

Pro
More games available and better archive
More people have the system (you know what you're getting)
Better set up online system
Seems like Microsoft if really trying to make their system great

Con
Red Ring of Death (need I say more)
Alot of the game I play are either on both systems (Madden, Tiger, Call of Duty) or PS3 ony (Racket and Clack, GT 5)

PS3
Pro
Games (see above)
Online is free
Newer system means it might have more time left before replacement comes

Con
Brand new and It still might fail
No back inventory of games
Old 12-11-07, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I personally prefer the 360 due to the game selection (Mass Effect, BioShock, superior versions of The Orange Box and Madden, Halo 3, PGR, etc; ) and the superior online play (that and I absolutely cannot use the SIXAXIS/Dual Shock for First Person Shooters like Call of Duty 4, UT, etc; ) . But you can't really go wrong with either one.
Old 12-11-07, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

My 360 easily... easily gets 5x the playing time of the PS3, and I don't even really like shooters that much.

I would say that in late 2008 there will be some neat PS3 exclusives, but for noe the 360 is the clear choice (in my mind).

That, or sell the Wii and get both.
Old 12-11-07, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

360, like everyone says, I get so much more use out of it. I played Uncharted recently, but the last time I took out my PS3 was for Ratchet and Clank, and then before that was the week I bought it. I use it for Blu-Ray once in a while.
Old 12-11-07, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

360 has unquestionably the better game library right now. '08 is looking like another solid year, although PS3 is obviously starting to pick up some steam at last. The biggest exclusives coming for PS3 are still MGS and FFXIII, but I would say MGS is likely to come to 360 at some point and FFXIII is a long way off (hopefully I can pick up my copy with a new redesigned psthree ;-)).

Of course, in the end it's best if you can play all the games you want on friends machines and make up your own mind.
Old 12-11-07, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I been a devoted sony fan since playstation and if asked 2-3 yrs ago if Id own a 360 before a ps3 id laugh in ur face but i recently decided on picking up a 360 over a ps3 currently due to what made me jump ship from n64 to psx.

its been out for awhile you can get awesome prices on some amazing backlog games...

while i know ill end up picking up a ps3 also bc its driving me crazy walking by ratchet and clank, Drakes Fortune, Motorstorm, Resistance...etc i know 360 will keep be busy long enough with...Gears of War, Dead Rising, Bioshock, Mass Effect, Oblivion...etc till the price drops on the console or they get a proper greatest hits line out.
Old 12-11-07, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

360 man. It has the games. Although the crapping out of its hardware is disturbing.
Old 12-11-07, 01:02 AM
Banned

360 hands down. I own all three systems and it gets the most play, by a huge margin.
Old 12-11-07, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Another 360 vote. Although the hardware issues are important, especially if you're someone that will be frustrated at potentially being out a system for a month.

I'm not, so i didn't really care that the system was gone.
Old 12-11-07, 02:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'll side with the Bus for the same reasons too. My 360 gets played way more...but the blu-ray of the PS3 is a very nice feature.
Old 12-11-07, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Liver&Onions
I'll side with the Bus for the same reasons too. My 360 gets played way more...but the blu-ray of the PS3 is a very nice feature.
It comes down to what you will do more on it. Play games or watch movies. Personally, I'll pop in a game far more frequently than a movie. I only watch 1-2 movies a week and usually at least one is a SD disc. Versus game at least a few minutes every day.

You just have to take your personal habits into account.
Old 12-11-07, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I made the same decision not long ago so here are a few more thoughts on each:

xbox:

$100 for WIFI? WTF!!

Controller runs on AA batteries. AA rechargeable are everywhere and cheap. Nearly every recharger will charge them. Use alkaline in a pinch. Great decision.

Noise. Is that a leaf blower? No, just the 360.

Lots of games... and cheap. I bought good older games like Prey for $7 and even new games are sometimes discounted. I got COD 4 for $40.

PS3:

What...No Component cable HDMI included? They want people to watch blu ray via composite connection? Goofy.

Controller batteries not removable. Huh? Even rechargeable batteries die eventually. What do you do then? Throw away the controller? Console must be on to recharge controller. What were they thinking?

PS3 games never seem to go on sale.

Well, I ended up with an xbox 360. How should you decide? GAMES! Which one has the games you want most?
Old 12-11-07, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

360. I too was a devoted Sony fan until i played a playstation 3. Picked up a 360 cheap on boxing day and love it almost as much as i love my family. I recently bought a ps3 for blu ray use only. Tried a few games on it , but was unimpressed with the exclusive ps titles and hated the menu scheme...The controller also feels cheap and awkward now as well..
Old 12-11-07, 09:05 AM

Blu Ray is nice, but I'll preach the 360 up and down all day. It is a solid system with a good interface and a great online network. The layout is easy and very accessible. Yes a lot of the games are multi-platform, but it really doesn't matter. Even with the RROD it is a good system.
Old 12-11-07, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I prefer my PS3. It's a wonderful all-in-one machine with wireless online right out of the box. Blu-ray is awesome, I don't like Halo, and I just finished Call of Duty 4 on my 70 inch widescreen. My kids play Rock band on the same TV and they're having a blast.
Old 12-11-07, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Easy, take it easy.... the battery in the Sixaxis can be replaced (but i doubt you need to).

Personally, base on my experience, i'll go with the PS3. The X360 is nice and all, but shit, when you want to have some fun with it, you always have that RRoD fear (turning it on, during game play, after turning it off too, i.e. will it show the red rings the next time i turn it on?) One thing i don't get is that, how the hell you game when your hardware fails (sounds a bit dirty, no wonder it's MS)? My X360 is in the shop (from the poll, more than 50% people here send in for repair at least once). It's like the X360 got PMS issues, sorry man, i got enough women problems, no need for that kind of bitchy attitude from some damn console.

Hardware-wise the PS3 beats the X360 in every corner (price-wise and setting-wise too). The only thing the X360 got is the game library and most games are FPS (not all that bad). The X360 controller is designed for FPS in mind (button smasher, probably not that great, at least for me).

Now as to gadget-wise, the PS3 is a winner as well... Upgrade to a bigger hdd, cheap! WiFi, built in! Mem card slots, Eye toy (pretty neat stuff), Remote Play (neato too, hey, at least you have an option, MS got no portable game console).

Last edited by Ocelot; 12-11-07 at 10:42 AM.
Old 12-11-07, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The 360 is a great system, but the RROD is a real concern. I'm sure one day it will be solved, but that day has yet to come.
Old 12-11-07, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Ocelot
Personally, base on my experience, i'll go with the PS3. The X360 is nice and all, but shit, when you want to have some fun with it, you always have that RRoD fear (turning it on, during game play, after turning it off too, i.e. well it show the red rings the next time i turn it on?)
Who worries about the RROD? Seriously? I'm on my third 360 and don't think twice about it and I'd still recommend the 360 over the PS3. Nice hardware only gets you so far. The games carry the system.

Originally Posted by Ocelot
Hardware-wise the PS3 beats the X360 in every corner (price-wise and setting-wise too). The only thing the X360 got is the game library and most games are FPS (not all that bad). The X360 controller is designed for FPS in mind (button smasher, probably not that great, at least for me).
Both fallible arguments. We've been down this road dozens of times, but price-wise they are very comparable. You list Wi-Fi as a $100 negative for 360, but PSP remote play a positive feature on the PS3. Last I checked that is an additional $179 dollar feature. Both are optional and not required. Same with the Eye Toy($40) and 360 Vision Camera(also $40). Memory card reader? A jump drive works just as well on both systems. As for settings(features?) the 360 does everything the PS3 does and then some.

Also which model are we comparing? I only ask because back-compat on the PS3 is now a $145 feature (new PS2 + memory card).

Lastly, there is a greater percentage of shooters on the PS3 than the 360. Such a tired old argument Sony fans can't let go. Are some of the best games on the 360 shooters? Sure, that's what America likes, but there is a LOT more there than that one genre.
Old 12-11-07, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

360, arguement done.
Old 12-11-07, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

360!
Old 12-11-07, 11:28 AM

If you want to get down to cutting hairs I would still take the Xbox any day over the ps3. It has a huge support and catalog of games. The rrod isn't even that big of an issue. They have accepted the responcibility of fixing the issue. What more can a consumer ask? So you have the rrod, ok. They send you the box, repair it, and send it back to you free of charge.

I just don't get the same charge from the ps3 that I got from the psx or the ps2. I touched those two systems and it was electric. I look at this one and my heart falls out of my chest. Sony has dropped the ball on this system because they got to cocky about their market position from the ps2. Little differences between the two systems tip the scales slightly in different directions. Yes the ps3 has out of the box wireless, and that is very nice, but it also comes with a larger cost. Yes the 360 is cheaper, but it has a staggering hardware failure rate.

Really I guess it just comes down to personal preference in games. Ultimately that is what these two machines are. They are video game machines. They can cram as many download able movies and songs and clips onto the machines that they want, but in the end it is a video game system. I would recommend researching the games you like. If you are more of an action, shoot 'em up, adventure type gamer than I would most likely suggest the 360. If you like strategy and puzzles and RPGS I would go with the PS3.

Also, if old games are your expertise and you miss the good old days when graphics had just crowned double digit bits than I would go with the Xbox. The DLC as far as arcade games go, blows my freaking mind.
Old 12-11-07, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I play more games on the 360 at about a 100-1 ratio. But I looooove the PS3 as a BD player. If you're not interested in watching any BD movies, I'd absolutely go 360. But if you even have an inkling for BD, take the PS3. The games are picking up steam and BD movies look unbelievable.
Old 12-11-07, 12:21 PM

PS3
Cons
No back inventory of games
The majority of PS2 games work on the PS3... how can you say there's no back inventory? Personally unless there are some exclusive games you just "have to have" I would go w/ the PS3. I picked up both and while the current catalog may not be as large (or as cheap at this point) it's been a rock solid machine unlike my 360 which had to be replaced after a month and the new one is starting to give me problems as well (and that's the Elite/supposedly newer version).
Old 12-11-07, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by ytrez
I prefer my PS3. It's a wonderful all-in-one machine with wireless online right out of the box. Blu-ray is awesome, I don't like Halo, and I just finished Call of Duty 4 on my 70 inch widescreen. My kids play Rock band on the same TV and they're having a blast.
BD playback aside, none of these things are unique to the PS3.

(Although I highly suggest picking up Ratchet & Clank Future, I bet they will love it).
Old 12-11-07, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by nemein
The majority of PS2 games work on the PS3... how can you say there's no back inventory? Personally unless there are some exclusive games you just "have to have" I would go w/ the PS3. I picked up both and while the current catalog may not be as large (or as cheap at this point) it's been a rock solid machine unlike my 360 which had to be replaced after a month and the new one is starting to give me problems as well (and that's the Elite/supposedly newer version).
I think he was referring to the 40gig PS3 which is not BC to the PS2.

I know RRod is scary, but the game library on the 360 is unbeatable. I vote 360.

I want a PS3 for gaming, but it seem with Sony constantly changing the PS3 models to cut costs has they have totally pushed me to the curb. The dropping of BC with PS2 on the cheaper models is nuts.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.