Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Round 1: Fight! Soul Calibur 4

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-07, 11:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Round 1: Fight! Soul Calibur 4

A few threads have already been made for the game, but they sputtered out a bit. Lets keep this one going and please, keep on topic. . . or as close to topic as possible.

For reference here are the older threads I managed to find:

Thread started by zero.

Thread started by Jtnguyen12.

rfduncan Star Wars link

Slated as the fourth game in Namco's "Soul" series comes Soul Calibur 4 with a North American release date set sometime in Spring of 2008. Soul Calibur 4 will be released on the PS3 and the Xbox 360. A separate "Spin-Off" title called "Soul Calibur Legends" will be released for the Nintendo Wii.

Setting a precedent no other Soul Calibur has come close to, Soul Calibur 4 has been confirmed to have online play. Sadly, an arcade version of the game has not been announced making this the second game in the series to skip the arcades and come straight to consoles.

Confirmed Charecters:

* Astaroth
* Cassandra
* Hilde (NEW)
* Ivy
* Mitsurugi
* Nightmare
* Raphael
* Siegfried
* Sophitia
* Taki
* Tira
* Voldo
* Yoda (Star Wars - Xbox 360 Exclusive)
* Darth Vader (Star Wars - Playstation 3 Exclusive)

Trailer:

http://www.gamevideos.com/video/id/12170

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/leChgK5fKyY&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/leChgK5fKyY&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Features:

* Based on the overall flow and design of Soul Calibur II. (Not Confirmed)
* Stages are slated to be much bigger and more interactive than before.
* The amount of ring outs will be substantially decreased.
* The "Create a Soul" feature is back and more in depth.
* Customized characters will effect how the game is played.
* Characters created in the game can be traded and swapped with other people online. (Not Confirmed)
* Online Play
* A third way to defeat your opponent that does not involve loss of health or a ring out will be incorporated into the game. (Not Confirmed)

P.S.- I am sure the breast topic has been covered extensively. Let try to skip over getting stuck in that rut.

I will update the OP as more and more information starts to come flooding in. I am sure sometime around Christmas we should start getting some more information flowing in.

Last edited by metalhead212; 01-11-08 at 08:53 AM.
Old 11-27-07, 01:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Why you gotta be stealin my shine!
Spoiler:
just kidding...no really
Old 11-27-07, 01:51 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
P.S.- I am sure the breast topic has been covered extensively.
Tell me more about this breast topic...
Old 11-27-07, 02:37 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Breasts shouldn't be covered!
Old 11-27-07, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
Tell me more about this breast topic...

There is fear that Soul Calibur is going the way of Dead or Alive with their endowing of the female figure.

Originally Posted by zero
Why you gotta be stealin my shine!
Spoiler:
just kidding...no really

haha, come on now I gave you "big ups" right at the start of the thread!
Old 11-27-07, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
"Round 1: Fight!" is from the Mortal Kombat series.
Old 11-27-07, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
"Round 1: Fight!" is from the Mortal Kombat series.

. . . very perceptive you are. I think we're ok if we use it though.

I am not sure if this has been posted yet, but *surprise surprise* the story is going to focus on Nightmare and Siegfried. "Nightmare and Siegfried play a key role in the story this time. Both characters have absorbed the power of their blades, Soul Calibur and Soul Edge, so they're near their final forms. The spotlight is on these two characters." Source

Also, for all you Soul Edge fans out there they (also in the link above) are hinting at bringing back some of the old costumes for the game. Not sure if they will be available right from the start or if they will be unlockable or if they will even actually make it into the final product but it would be nice.

This game can not come out any faster. I think they are making steps in the right direction. SCIII had so many balance issues I really hope IV turns the series around.
Old 11-27-07, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 213 Likes on 186 Posts
The 2 videos that have been on Xbox live for awhile are sweet. Looks great, hope that it's better after being letdown with SCIII. This is my favorite fighting game of all time. Can't wait to play it!
Old 11-27-07, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Hey I thought Nightmare and Siefried was the same person.
Old 11-27-07, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Are Kilik and Cervantes in the game? Kilik was like my go to guy and Cervantes was just awesome.
Old 11-27-07, 08:45 PM
DVD & Video Game Reviewer

Originally Posted by metalhead212
There is fear that Soul Calibur is going the way of Dead or Alive with their endowing of the female figure.
And this is a bad thing...how?

Seriously, Taki has always been bouncy in skin tight clothes and Ivy has always been nasty (in a good way). Bad? No! I consider it graphical evolution.

Now, I'm all for that just so long as they don't add jiggle effects to Voldo's...you know.
Old 11-27-07, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
. . . very perceptive you are. I think we're ok if we use it though.
It's also in Street Fighter 2 and its successors/spinoffs.
Old 11-28-07, 01:06 AM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

damn this game looks good
Old 11-28-07, 03:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

haha, come on now I gave you "big ups" right at the start of the thread!

big ups? your stepping on my toes for crying out loud, do we really need three threads? Couldnt you have just added to the thread I started?
Old 11-28-07, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Are Kilik and Cervantes in the game? Kilik was like my go to guy and Cervantes was just awesome.
As far as I know they have not been confirmed to be in the game yet, but from what I have read, and the fact that they are really pushing for people to know that this game is based around how SCII played, I think it is almost a 100% safe bet that those two will be in the game.
Old 11-28-07, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I can't even describe how much I'm looking forward to this game. The Dreamcast version's disc almost had a hole burned into it when I was finished.
Old 11-28-07, 12:45 PM

I am curious about the "secret" charecters they will throw in the game. Apparently they are saying the new charecters will make Link and Spawn look like B-list additions.
Old 11-28-07, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I am curious about the "secret" charecters they will throw in the game. Apparently they are saying the new charecters will make Link and Spawn look like B-list additions.
Do you have any more information on this? I'd like to know if they have any rumors on who will be the secret characters.
Old 11-28-07, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
I'm thinking Sonic and Mario with be in this one.
Old 11-28-07, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by Mikael79
Do you have any more information on this? I'd like to know if they have any rumors on who will be the secret characters.
They are being extremly tight on this subject. I have done a lot of searching to see if I could find any hints on it and I really haven't found anything. . . yet. Baron has a good suggestion:

Originally Posted by Baron Of Hell
I'm thinking Sonic and Mario with be in this one.
The only problem is . . . SC4 is not coming out for the Wii and I doubt Nintendo would let Mario or for that matter Sonic (since he is going to be in SSB:B) make an appearence on another platform, but stranger things have happened.

It is a Namco / Bandai game. Bandai has the rights to . . . about a million different shows and movies and animes and whatever else. The charecters could be anyone from the Power Rangers to Pac-Man to Mickey Mouse as Bandai USA is partners with Disney.

Last edited by metalhead212; 11-28-07 at 06:42 PM.
Old 11-28-07, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I would kill for Nariko from Heavenly Sword. If she was a PS3 exclusive I'd buy it over the 360 version.
Old 11-29-07, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I stopped playing Fighting games extensively years ago when I lost enough people to bother to play. Now that they're adding online play I'm in the game again. I've played 800+ matches of online Tekken 5 on the PS3

The last Soul Calibur I played much of was the first one on the Dreamcast and in the arcade sometimes. Played tons of Soul Blade in the arcade. I had SC2 for a while (GC version) but I never saw that it was that much better than SC1, and I had some nice joysticks for my DC at the time, so I kept SC1 instead.
Old 12-04-07, 09:34 AM

Over at Kotaku they are talking about the new game play element possibly being "instant deaths" or "instant kills". I am not sure if something like that would fit well into the atmosphere of the game. The game is about fast paced combat. I think having to slow things down to take the time to attempt an instant kill my disrupt the momentum the game builds up.

I think something like that would be nice . . . maybe, but I am sure it will be exploited entirely due to the fact that this game will have online play everyone is going to want to have a high W / L ratio to prove how big their E-Peens are.
Old 12-05-07, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't think instant kills are really necessary. When I get rolling I can end a round in about 8 seconds that's pretty instant to me.
Old 12-12-07, 01:04 PM

"New" charecter being announced.

I don't like linking to Kotaku, but it seems they have stumbled on some info regarding another character being announced. The outline of the new character resembles Zasalamel, but it could very well be someone new.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.