Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Rock Band: Official Thread, 2.0

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-07, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
Just got mine delivered. Going to put it together shortly.

I was in a Target, Best Buy and Circuit City this morning.

Both BB and CC had like 12-16 360 boxes on the floor. No PS3 versions to be seen.

Target said they got theirs late and were checking them in, so the people who waited outside in the morning had to be sent away initially. They also said the 360 version easily outnumbered the PS3 version.
Old 11-20-07, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by PixyJunket
$30 of DLC on the day of release? That's fantastic.
GHIII with 70 songs - $100

Rock Band with 50 songs - $160

Rock Band: 15 extra songs day of release - $30

Getting ass-raped by EA over DLC(again) - priceless
Old 11-20-07, 12:56 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
[fanboy] But, but.. you're getting 2 more instruments for that $160[/fanboy]

This game is going to be very expensive if they keep the quality, and hopefully more, master track releases up. Songs performed and sung by original artist will almost always get a purchase from me if I like said artist. Covers will take some deliberation or wait until they reduce in price.
Old 11-20-07, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,658 Likes on 1,034 Posts
Doesn't the mic act as a cowbell? I swear I read that a long time ago...
Old 11-20-07, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

With EA's track record with DLC it wouldn't surprise me in the least if these 15 songs are already on the game disc and you are merely buying a 'key' to unlock them. DLC on the day of release is ridiculous. If it was ready, it should have been on the disc. That's all I was getting at.

Last edited by Michael Corvin; 11-20-07 at 01:55 PM.
Old 11-20-07, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does the GHIII guitar work with Rock Band?
Old 11-20-07, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by Gambit
yes it does...i'm playing with the GHII and GHIII guitars

guess i'll wait until spring for the drums since the bundle was sold out around town
Old 11-20-07, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Gambit
Only on 360 so far. There have been reports from PS3 owners that Rock Band does not let you use the GHIII Les Paul on PS3. This could be fixed in a patch, but it doesn't work as of launch.
Old 11-20-07, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
With EA's track record with DLC it wouldn't surprise me in the least if these 15 songs are already on the game disc and you are merely buying a 'key' to unlock them. DLC on the day of release is ridiculous. If it was ready, it should have been on the disc. That's all I was getting at.

... somebody's cranky
To my dismay I typed that and then realized I was acting like a whiny fanboy.

So I erased it.

But no, no you had to beat my delete thanks to system lag. Thanks, thanks a lot even.
Old 11-20-07, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts
Originally Posted by freakjae
yes it does...i'm playing with the GHII and GHIII guitars

guess i'll wait until spring for the drums since the bundle was sold out around town
As much as I would like to try out the drums, I will probably have to go that route. I just don't know if it is worth the extra $110 for the drum set.

I believe freakjae already said that the 360 communicator can work as your mike (if you go the singing route) and the GHIII guitar will work for the guitar and the bass.

So if you plan on just playing by yourself and already have GHIII, you are basically paying that extra money for a drum kit & drum career, correct?
Old 11-20-07, 01:43 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

If they had included it on the game disc, EA would have jacked the price up. Not the full $30, but I could easily see it priced at $175 to $180 with the extra 15 tunes. Personally, I only want to play 2 of those 15 songs, so I appreciate the choice.
Old 11-20-07, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Draven
Doesn't the mic act as a cowbell? I swear I read that a long time ago...
I'm pretty sure it does. I think you just tap the mic, something like that. I'm pretty sure you can do that for a number of different things.

I just went to pick mine up from GameStop on my lunch break. I used the 10% off coupon, signed up for the Gamer's Edge card, and they gave me the three most recent issues of Game Informer since they had a bunch of extras.

I want to leave work right now.
Old 11-20-07, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I won't argue that EA has had shitty DLC in the past, but I'm pretty sure that the Rock Band stuff is not just keys. The file sizes are pretty large, so either they are the actual song files, or they took keys and padded them out with junk (which, while possible, seems unlikely). Given the amount of DLC they plan to release over the long term, I'm guessing it's the actual songs.

I think the prices are reasonable given that many songs are original tracks, and that they need to program 4 tracks of game data (guitar, bass, drums, and vocals). I think the point of all the DLC is to allow each person to fill out the song library with the type of music they prefer rather than try and put a ton of songs in the game and please everyone. I'm not saying your point isn't valid, just that I disagree with it. DLC on release day is not inherently bad, depending on the content, the prices, and the type of game.
Old 11-20-07, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Brent L
I'm pretty sure it does. I think you just tap the mic, something like that. I'm pretty sure you can do that for a number of different things.
Yep, any non-drum percussion. I was singing (ugly scene) Say it Ain't So, and little dots appeared so you just hit the mic on your open hand in time. Pretty cool.

Originally Posted by Flay
If they had included it on the game disc, EA would have jacked the price up. Not the full $30, but I could easily see it priced at $175 to $180 with the extra 15 tunes. Personally, I only want to play 2 of those 15 songs, so I appreciate the choice.
Yeah, I'm new to the whole DLC thing, and like a good little soldier I ponied up the cash before I even touched 80% of the set-list. A little annoying, but I figure it'll be light in the future because many of the upcoming DLC songs don't interest me.
Old 11-20-07, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Is anything by The White Stripes in the game?
Old 11-20-07, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by RichC2
To my dismay I typed that and then realized I was acting like a whiny fanboy.

So I erased it.

But no, no you had to beat my delete thanks to system lag. Thanks, thanks a lot even.
I deleted it.
Old 11-20-07, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Went over to our local Target at 8am with my daughter (having a father/daughter day) and we walked right in. No one else there. They got it out from the back and we left. They had 8 total PS3 version, no idea on the 360, but looked to be the same amount.
Old 11-20-07, 02:08 PM

Waited at Wal-Mart in Oak Ridge, TN. all day, it gets to midnight, everyone's excited. The lady from electronics brings out the game. JUST THE GAME! Everyone started getting upset, considering we were told by management that we they had the bundles. After raising hell, a third shift manager said it wasn't his problem, all he can say is sorry, but he couldn't see why it's a big deal. He also let it slip that they had the 360 bundles, but were holding them for Black Friday. He later denied that he said that, but every freaking person heard him say it. Then the manager "Albert" got in out faces and tried to start a fight with me, some other gamers, and my wife who was waiting with me. And no, I'm not making this up. I then, rather loudly, begin to tell everyone in the store that Wal-Mart was a monopoly, an didn't care about it's customer, and told Everyone what they were doing. I didn't say anything crude or crass, I just stated the fact that Wally World was screwing us over.

Sooo, I got kicked out. I then called Wal-mart in Knoxville to see what they were doing. They said that they had sold all of their bundles. I explained the situation in Oak Ridge, and the Knox manager called the first store and put me on hold for about 15 minutes. They came back and said go back to the store and get your Rock Band bundle. The Oak Ridge store then put there bundles out and I, and the other people that were still there got one. The manager then told another employee to tell me he was sorry, but he wouldn't tell me himself though. At least there's some good Wal-Marts out there.
Old 11-20-07, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Awesome.

Although you should have started trashing the place, and when they asked what you were doing you could tell them you came to WalMart for a Rock Band experience, and since they don't have the game, you're gonna trash the place Rock Band style.
Old 11-20-07, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 251 Likes on 186 Posts
Started everything on medium. Guitar parts that I've played are a lot of fun. Drums are going to take some getting used to. LOVE the mic but I'm having a tough time getting pass the first city. Got all of the tracks 4 or 5 starred except for Paranoid. Damn you Ozzy!!!
Old 11-20-07, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Silkk_34
Waited at Wal-Mart in Oak Ridge, TN. all day, it gets to midnight, everyone's excited. The lady from electronics brings out the game. JUST THE GAME! Everyone started getting upset, considering we were told by management that we they had the bundles. After raising hell, a third shift manager said it wasn't his problem, all he can say is sorry, but he couldn't see why it's a big deal. He also let it slip that they had the 360 bundles, but were holding them for Black Friday. He later denied that he said that, but every freaking person heard him say it. Then the manager "Albert" got in out faces and tried to start a fight with me, some other gamers, and my wife who was waiting with me. And no, I'm not making this up. I then, rather loudly, begin to tell everyone in the store that Wal-Mart was a monopoly, an didn't care about it's customer, and told Everyone what they were doing. I didn't say anything crude or crass, I just stated the fact that Wally World was screwing us over.

this sounds like something straight out of Clerks!
Old 11-20-07, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Has anyone mentioned how terrible the new guitar is? It feels super flimsy and the buttons/strum bar are non-responsive. I was barely able to keep any sort of 4x streak going on medium for about 10 songs, then I decided to grab the Xplorer controller. Now i can easily 100% any medium song, and 5 star hard. Looks like both Guitar Hero III and Rock Band have some crappy guitar controllers Good think the Xplorer still rocks just fine! Oh, one more thing, my friend's guitar wont even strum downwards anymore, after just 2 days of playing.

And as mentioned before, the drums are very fun but just brutally difficult, even on medium.
Old 11-20-07, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I don't like the new guitar either but I plan on using it for the game.
Old 11-20-07, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I walked into Sam's on my lunch and they had 9 on a pallet for the 360. I left with 2.
Old 11-20-07, 03:12 PM

how do you get the DLC on ps3?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.