Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Uncharted Drake's Fortune

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-09, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Uncharted Drake's Fortune

I'm playing through this game for my second time now in anticipation of the 2nd one coming out this week. I have to say, I've purchased and sold off quite a few PS3 games because they just didn't do it for me. I have way many more keepable titles on my 360 than the PS3... so far I've only kept Metal Gear Solid 4 and this game. But soon that will change with Uncharted 2, the God of War collection, God of War III, and maybe I'll pick up some cheap games like the first Ninja Gaiden since I loved it on Xbox so much.
Old 10-12-09, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, I got this game when it was released and was a lot of fun. When they added trophies I planned on playing again to get most of them but was unable until last weekend. I'm 35% complete now, so I should be able to finish before I start playing U2 (Uncharted 2 ).

I'm playing on Hard and doesn't feel too different from Normal. The graphics show their age, don't look bad of course, but they pale in comparison with the new game. I can't wait to play the new game.
Old 10-12-09, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm trying to do this on "crushing". Up to Chapter 6 so far. I completed normal, and hard, and enjoyed it so much that I want to finish it on crushing too.
Old 10-12-09, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Autotelik
I'm trying to do this on "crushing". Up to Chapter 6 so far. I completed normal, and hard, and enjoyed it so much that I want to finish it on crushing too.
How difficult is crushing? Hard feels like its set on normal. Are there more enemies, or do they attack more aggressively?
Old 10-12-09, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mhg83
How difficult is crushing? Hard feels like its set on normal. Are there more enemies, or do they attack more aggressively?
It's quite a bit tougher. You can't take more than one hit or so before dying or getting close to it. You can't just run around and shoot like on Hard. Enemies seem to be more aggressive, as they'll come up to get you more often.
Old 10-12-09, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yep... you just can't poke your head around the corner for too long. Still the same number of enemies, but they are definitely more aggressive. If I take too long to take them down, they'll just rush me all at once sometimes... so it's essential to know when to retreat and take them down one at a time. I like it though... I like a good challenge! I'm not a good or experienced gamer by any means (still getting my ass whooped in Uncharted 2 Multiplayer), but on "crushing", Chapter 4 (the plane wreck part) took me roughly 4 hours to get through.
Old 10-13-09, 02:02 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Autotelik
Yep... you just can't poke your head around the corner for too long. Still the same number of enemies, but they are definitely more aggressive. If I take too long to take them down, they'll just rush me all at once sometimes... so it's essential to know when to retreat and take them down one at a time. I like it though... I like a good challenge! I'm not a good or experienced gamer by any means (still getting my ass whooped in Uncharted 2 Multiplayer), but on "crushing", Chapter 4 (the plane wreck part) took me roughly 4 hours to get through.
Oh, man, that part was brutal on crushing. Since crushing was my third playthrough of the game, most of the game was fairly easy (it wasn't actually easy, but rather I had played it so much at that point), and it afforded me the opportunity to play around with meleeing and stuff. But that plane wreck part and a few other big fights took forever. Had a blast, though!
Old 10-13-09, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

That part is harder, than the rest of the game, in any level because of the controls and because you have to empty your gun at one guy. Unless you are good at head shots, of course. The good thin, even at hard, is that most of the time they wait for you. I can only imagine they attacking you in crushing...

Are you able to kill them with a single head shot in crushing too?
Old 10-13-09, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You can still kill them with a single head shot in crushing, but you won't get a lot of time to aim for the head because they're onto you in no time.
Old 02-04-10, 01:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ok, I'm uber late to the party in regards to this game but I wanted to chime in. I really really loved this game until the "twist" towards the end. I mean come on do we need this sort of angle in the majority of video games? It seriously almost ruined the game for me. I was all about this game until that point. I'm not sure if you can chalk this up to "geek" culture where you need this sort of angle in places you wouldn't normally think so. Ok end rant, off to play the sequel...
Old 02-04-10, 06:53 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by rocketsauce
Ok, I'm uber late to the party in regards to this game but I wanted to chime in. I really really loved this game until the "twist" towards the end. I mean come on do we need this sort of angle in the majority of video games? It seriously almost ruined the game for me. I was all about this game until that point. I'm not sure if you can chalk this up to "geek" culture where you need this sort of angle in places you wouldn't normally think so. Ok end rant, off to play the sequel...
Regarding the sequel...

Spoiler:
Prepare to make the same complaint.
Old 02-04-10, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

If you think of this as a modern day Indiana Jones, it helps a lot regarding the so-called twist.
Old 02-04-10, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Groucho
Regarding the sequel...

Spoiler:
Prepare to make the same complaint.
Yeah unfortunately I had been told about that. Definitely not stopping me from getting it though
Old 02-04-10, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by RocShemp
If you think of this as a modern day Indiana Jones, it helps a lot regarding the so-called twist.
Are you talking about the newest Indiana Jones? If so I haven't seen it so I'm not sure I get it.
Old 02-04-10, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Talking about the classic trilogy. They're straightfoward serial-inspired action-adventure movies that delve into the supernatural during the final stretch. And much like the Indiana Jones movies, if you pay casual attention, you'll see the so-called twist is spelled out very early and thus it should come as no surprise.
Old 12-27-12, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

So I finally have a PS3 and this was the first game I played, since it came with the black friday bundle I bought. I was a little bit let down, and its funny reading through this very short thread (surprised its only 3 pages) about the thoughts on it since my major issue was what others mentioned multiple times about there just being too much shooting. It was more then I expected, as I thought there would be more puzzles and exploration. I think I died two dozen times or more at the end because of my lack of patience for taking cover in this game, which was a bit frustrating. The story was fun and what kept me going, but it was a bit shorter then I expected too so that was somewhat of a bummer. Didn't mind the creatures or anything, as Indiana Jones was the first thing I thought of when it came up. No real issues with any puzzles though, I thought the rest of the game was pretty easy on normal mode.

Obviously it's been years since this was released so I'm probably spoiled by other releases that have come out since then that have made better use of the console's technology so I'm sure that comes in to play since nothing really stood out for me in this game. It was weird to some mechanics used so infrequently, like the quick time events or the use of the sixaxis. Sounds like the sequel and #3 are better then the first, so i'm off to play #2 now.

Anyway, decently fun first experience as I work through PS3 exclusives i've missed out on.
Old 12-27-12, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Obviously it's been years since this was released so I'm probably spoiled by other releases that have come out since then that have made better use of the console's technology so I'm sure that comes in to play since nothing really stood out for me in this game. It was weird to some mechanics used so infrequently, like the quick time events or the use of the sixaxis. Sounds like the sequel and #3 are better then the first, so i'm off to play #2 now.
If you're expecting much out of the Sixaxis capability, you're going to be disappointed. It was pretty much a half-baked feature, and it didn't take too long for games to stop supporting it. Usually it was an optional alternative to traditional control, but it just never worked as well as standard analog sticks. The Uncharted sequels don't use it.

Although, flOw and Flower (PSN) are notable exceptions, as those games are built around the Sixaxis control and it is the only option.
Old 12-27-12, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Sorry, by technology I meant more about graphical capability and presentation with Uncharted itself, since nothing in particular stood out. I don't expect anything out of the Sixaxis; i'm familiar with the PS3 and think its stupid and gimmicky.
Old 12-27-12, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,200 Likes on 4,227 Posts

It's a kick reading this thread after a half-decade. Looks like I was the first to play it on a DS3 -- envy my rumble feature, suckas!

Yeah, 2 is so much better than the first, it's not even funny. Can't overstate how great it really is. The third, I grew tired of and never even finished. Need to get back to it sometime...
Old 12-28-12, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

Funny, reading these last few posts I totally forgot about the Sixaxis feature, except for in Flower of course. Didn't notice that it's all but phased out.
Old 12-28-12, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Sure enough, the first 15 minutes of Uncharted 2 probably blew away everything for the first game. The snow was amazing. Time to bump another old thread!
Old 12-29-12, 01:20 PM
Cool New Member

This entire series is just amazing, in my opinion. The second is probably my favorite though. I loved the first half of the third because I love puzzles and exploration, but it became way too action packed and annoying later on. The first is probably weakest and its still damn good.