Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Uncharted Drake's Fortune

Old 11-08-07, 10:02 PM

Uncharted Drake's Fortune

Anybody got any impressions from the Demo on this yet? I'm still in download hell.
Old 11-08-07, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just finished playing the demo ... lots of fun. It starts in little area to play around in and get used to the controls before you come across the first bad guys. The cover system works well. I played it on normal (middle of the three difficulties) and the AI seemed to do a good job ... not blindly rushing in too often, and even managing to sneak around the side of my cover a couple of times to get in some potshots.

The only thing I didn't like was having to use the motion control to balance on log bridges.
Old 11-08-07, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm playing it now. The thing that amazed me the most was that when the character gets wet his clothes appear all wet. It was a "holy cow" moment for me. It's something small and subtle but I was amazed. If you walk through water knee deep you can the difference on his pants. Now I'll get back to playing.

Ok, I finished the demo. Pretty cool game. I really enjoyed how the cover is set up, it seemed a lot easier to aim than say Gears of War. The aiming system seems a little tricky. It looked like I was aiming right at the head of a number of guys but I wasn't hitting them. The AI seemed pretty smart, almost like they had a plan of attack on how to get to me.

I thought the graphics were pretty good and during the opening scene when he parachutes out I got a couple laughs out of it.

All in all, a very solid game and one I'll probably pick up.

Last edited by PopcornTreeCt; 11-09-07 at 12:30 AM.
Old 11-09-07, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Really enjoyed the demo, but the ending to the demo was completely all of a sudden. I'm gonna have to play it again to see if I accidentally hit exit or something as it was like I was jumping in the air and the demo all of a sudden ended.

The graphics were pretty great and I really liked the score (particularly in the first cutscene).
Old 11-09-07, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dcprules
Really enjoyed the demo, but the ending to the demo was completely all of a sudden. I'm gonna have to play it again to see if I accidentally hit exit or something as it was like I was jumping in the air and the demo all of a sudden ended.

The graphics were pretty great and I really liked the score (particularly in the first cutscene).
I don't think it was just you. The demo ended very abruptly for me as well.
Old 11-09-07, 02:21 AM

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
I don't think it was just you. The demo ended very abruptly for me as well.
Spoiler:
The demo just ends after you hop over the rusty gate

Yeah, it's a little unceremonious. I thought the game was very pretty, but the controls felt mushy to me. For some reason, the running animation for Drake really irritates me - it's not close to natural.
Old 11-09-07, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Played it a little. Seemed pretty cool. I thought the background sounds were great. I had to lower the sound because my dog was barking at the birds.

The one problem I had with it was when I was ambushed with gun fire it was hard to tell where it was coming from and I ended up running all different ways to find cover only to discover I was covered on the wrong side. I understand that that is probably realistic, but I found it frustrating. I would;'ve preferred a little map to show where the bad guys were
Old 11-09-07, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Not a fan of the animations, especially the facial animations. This is of course, comparing it to Ratchet & Clank Future which might be the best use of 3D facial animations I've ever seen in a game (as far as them conveying emotions).

Not a fan of the shooting. Is there a way I can run and shoot without having to sit and aim while I get blown to bits?

The graphics were pretty, though. I only played about 5 minutes of the demo (right until the first bad guy encounter) so I will try it again. But I don't see this taking precedent over Super Mario Galaxy or Mass Effect.
Old 11-09-07, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by The Bus
Not a fan of the shooting. Is there a way I can run and shoot without having to sit and aim while I get blown to bits?

I think they chose to make the "cover" mechanic a focus of the game, forcing you to be more deliberate instead of running and gunning. I got cut to shreds a few times before really focusing on using cover. You also can't sit behind a cover spot for too long or the enemy will flank you. Enemies take a few hits to take down unless you get a clean head shot. Decent game so far from what I played in the demo. Not sure this is a day one pick up for me though.
Old 11-19-07, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

After adjusting my playing style, I got a better sense of what the game is about. I still don't like games where you press something to take cover. I can take cover automatically by walking near a wall, thanks. A few times I'd try to get out of cover and I would roll on the ground and then duck in front of a pylon, with the enemies shooting my kidneys. Stupid.

The game is fun but the demo made it seems very, very bland. The only thing that distinguished it from other FPSs is the fact that there's a lot of plants around.

I still want to get this, but it will have to be through a trade or when the game drops in price.
Old 11-19-07, 10:51 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

I picked it up on Saturday, but I've yet to play it. Hopefully I'll have some time to try it tonight.
Old 11-19-07, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Picked up the last copy Gamestop had. Someone hid it in the used PS3 games section on the bottom of the self with the label facing the back. Looks like I ruined someones Christmas.

Only played the first part on the boat and up to the point were you are walking thru the forrest with your boss or partner or whoever he is. Pretty fun so far. And looks great.
Old 11-19-07, 07:25 PM

just picked it up, id recommend buying it. its challenging, but not to hard. the story is very cool and plus naughty made it, so i guess i'm a little bias.
Old 11-19-07, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

My stepdad picked it up. Very fun game.
Old 11-20-07, 12:10 PM

For those who have the full game, is the demo a fair representation of the game? The demo seemed to have great production value, but I was a little lukewarm on the gameplay.

I am trying to decide on picking up Uncharted or Assassin's Creed. Anybody have any views on which they like better?
Old 11-20-07, 04:09 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by The Bus
The only thing that distinguished it from other FPSs is the fact that there's a lot of plants around.
Uncharted isn't a FPS.

And the jungle setting isn't that unique. Far Cry did it better because not only did it have lush vegetation all over the place, but there was also a lot of wildlife roaming around.
Old 11-28-07, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Anyone else pick this game up? Is it worth it?
Old 11-28-07, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by taffer
Uncharted isn't a FPS.

And the jungle setting isn't that unique. Far Cry did it better because not only did it have lush vegetation all over the place, but there was also a lot of wildlife roaming around.
That is the only thing Far Cry had going for it.
Old 11-28-07, 11:44 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by DVDsAreMyLIFE
That is the only thing Far Cry had going for it.
Are you talking about Far Cry or Far Cry Instincts? They are very different. Far Cry is an amazing PC game. Far Cry Instincts is a very crappy console game made by a different developer as a quick cash-in. Far Cry PC is almost universally loved and Instincts is almost universally hated.
Old 11-28-07, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
Anyone else pick this game up? Is it worth it?
Yes it's worth it. I mean with all the great PS3 games out.
Old 11-28-07, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Pretty short. Finished in 3 sittings. Took about 9.5 hrs. And I got about 75 % of the bonus treasures.
Old 11-28-07, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by taffer
Are you talking about Far Cry or Far Cry Instincts? They are very different. Far Cry is an amazing PC game. Far Cry Instincts is a very crappy console game made by a different developer as a quick cash-in. Far Cry PC is almost universally loved and Instincts is almost universally hated.
Far Cry: Average 90%
http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpage...sp?q=Far%20Cry

Far Cry Instincts: Average 86%

So, 4% separates almost universally loved from almost universally hated?

Are you sure you aren't talking about Far Cry Vengeance as the universally hated title?
Old 11-28-07, 05:41 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by TheMadMonk
Far Cry: Average 90%

Far Cry Instincts: Average 86%

So, 4% separates almost universally loved from almost universally hated?

Are you sure you aren't talking about Far Cry Vengeance as the universally hated title?

Far Cry Instincts may have gotten good "professional" reviews, but the game was widely ignored by most gamers. Reviews don't necessarily mean much. Fable got great "professional" reviews too, but the game was a joke.

I used to read the official Far Cry forum at Ubisoft way back when Far Cry was new. For the most part, posters there did hate Instincts. PC Far Cry still has a decent size community even today that still plays the game, but Instincts has been all but forgotten.

Edited to add: I just did a quick search on Ubisoft's Far Cry forums. The Instincts forum has 8,800 posts. PC Far Cry has 138,000 posts. Instincts was released a little more than a year after Far Cry, but Far Cry still has more than 15 times as many posts. That should say something about Instincts popularity (or lack thereof).

Last edited by taffer; 11-28-07 at 05:51 PM.
Old 11-28-07, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I did not like any of the Far Crys. My main complaints were the AI, the storyline was pretty awful and not being able to save whenever I want. But I am not big on FPS anyways.
Old 11-28-07, 05:57 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by DVDsAreMyLIFE
I did not like any of the Far Crys. My main complaints were the AI, the storyline was pretty awful and not being able to save whenever I want. But I am not big on FPS anyways.
RE: The AI. Yes, the AI wasn't too great, but it was the first FPS to actually try to implement a decent AI with enemies flanking you and calling in reinforcements instead of just stupidly running straight at you.

RE: The storyline. Who plays a FPS for the story? If you want a good story, pick up an RPG. 99% of all FPS have crappy stories.

RE: Lack of quicksave. I hated that too, but there was a user-made mod that added a quicksave function.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.