Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Street Fighter 4 Announced

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-09, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Street Fighter 4 Announced

Originally Posted by tonymontana313
I totally suck at this game. So far 0-8. Any tips from you guys that are mastering it?
well, that all depends on the char you're using... If you're not good with circle patterned moves, try the <--> ones, if not then perhaps you're good with pressing buttons fast? If you can press buttons fast, use Akuma, his Ultimate move will save you

I only have trouble pulling the nearly impossible-to-do-combos in the Challenge mode. Speaking of which, i have a question, how do you do this combo for Guoken?

Heavy Kick
Forbidden Shoyuken (quarter circle up x2 and a punch)

Every time i pull that combo, damn Dan just block after the Heavy Kick. Even when i did hit Dan with the combo, i don't get the SUCCESS message. Well, apparently, i'm still doing it wrong.

The question is, are you suppose to distant yourself from Dan doing the Heavy Kick once (in the groin) or close to him and hit him twice (head and then shoulder) then pull the Forbidden Shoyuken?

I kinda did that both ways, but still no SUCCESS...
Old 03-11-09, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,505 Posts

That's ok, Oce... I STILL can't get past Sagat's stupid fake kick. Why put in a "simple" move that nobody seems to be able to consistently reproduce?
Old 03-11-09, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by tonymontana313
I totally suck at this game. So far 0-8. Any tips from you guys that are mastering it?
Yeah, it's hard to give tips without more details on what character your using and what you're doing.

A lot of it could be luck and you just happen to be playing guys that are really good. I started off pretty slowly and went through some long losing streaks, but eventually I started picking up some tendencies that other players do and adjusted. Right now i'm up to about winning 40% of the time up from under 30%.
Old 03-11-09, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I've been getting pretty good at mastering Ken (no pun intended).

While I started out getting my butt kicked left and right, I am now at 59% victories, and my longest streak was 11. I'm also finially getting some nice achivement points out of playing it.

Total playing time so far: 15 hours. Man, they just flew by!
Old 03-11-09, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,505 Posts

I know people were complaining early on that EVERYONE was using Ken (well, they complain about shotos in general, but especially Ken). He and Ryu are probably the easiest to start out with, though I don't know if there's still a lot of backlash online.
Old 03-11-09, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I primarily use Ken too. I usually end up fighting a lot of Akuma's and Zangief's, with some Ryu, Ken, and Cammy in there as well.
Old 03-11-09, 08:48 PM
DVD & Video Game Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fujishig
I know people were complaining early on that EVERYONE was using Ken (well, they complain about shotos in general, but especially Ken). He and Ryu are probably the easiest to start out with, though I don't know if there's still a lot of backlash online.
honestly, it doesn't phase me anymore. Just about every person I play online uses Ryu or Ken. It bugged me a lot, but then i kind of came into the mindset that if someone ONLY uses them then they are reliant on a crutch and aren't very good at the game. That's not always the case, but at least 80% of the people you fight just simply aren't good.

I suppose I shouldn't talk really, I use Dan quite a bit. It's fun to bust out Gouken as well once in a while. Otherwise Guile is my main guy. I basically refuse to use Ken/Ryu unless someone else I'm playing continually uses them.
Old 03-11-09, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I don't know...I've always been a Ryu/Ken fan since SFII. I'm sure i'll get to learning another couple of characters, but for now, Ken is who I play as.

As for all the bitching, I can understand in a way, since hardcore SF players probably perfer learning the tougher characters and look down on people who play as Ryu/Ken and spam the special moves all match, but I'm playing for fun, so kiss my ass. Not that I do that...of course

I hardly ever run into Ryu/Ken. It's always Akuma, Zangief, or Sagat.

Last edited by DeanoBKN; 03-11-09 at 08:52 PM.
Old 03-11-09, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Dean Kousoulas
I don't know...I've always been a Ryu/Ken fan since SFII. I'm sure i'll get to learning another couple of characters, but for now, Ken is who I play as.

As for all the bitching, I can understand in a way, since hardcore SF players probably perfer learning the tougher characters and look down on people who play as Ryu/Ken and spam the special moves all match, but I'm playing for fun, so kiss my ass. Not that I do that...of course
Same. Kiss my ass if you don't like it! If it's such a pain then all the "good" players should be able to crush me, which rarely happens.
Old 03-12-09, 10:01 AM

I think it's more just the mindset of some people who don't use ANY other characters. Last night I was playing against this guy for like six matches, and he used Abel every single time. I get that you want practice, but for the love of god try someone else once in a while!

Oh and on a side note, does it every bug people when their opponent refuses to select a character until you do? Like they think it's some big advantage because their character is better than yours. This has always bugged me on some level from the days of SFII.
Old 03-12-09, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Dragon Fly
Oh and on a side note, does it every bug people when their opponent refuses to select a character until you do? Like they think it's some big advantage because their character is better than yours. This has always bugged me on some level from the days of SFII.
Not really, because when I beat their ass with whoever I chose first, it pisses them off more.
Old 03-13-09, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The GIEF will rock you!
Old 03-13-09, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

http://www.gamesradar.com/f/how-not-...11145518906065

I think I fit like 4 of those.
Old 03-13-09, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by fumanstan
LOL so true. Thankfully I don't fit any of those
Old 03-14-09, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Capcom should seriously come out with a patch and depower Ken's Dragon Punch. It's absolutely insane how an easy move like that takes of that much energy.
Old 03-14-09, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know. Complaining about throws seems a little silly to me. If it's in the game, it's fair game. Same with picking Ken. I've always used that character (when I was young it was because we had the same name -- lame I know). Now, I admit he's been a bit of a God since third strike, but I like his move set.

I'm toying with who else I want to learn, and just spending a bit of time with the game I'm really liking Rufus, Sagat, and Sakura. Rufus' character model is ridiculous, but his move set is relatively easy to pull off and highly effective. Sagat is just a big bad ass, and not that hard of a character to pick up if you're a Ken/Ryu guy. Poor little Sakura on the other hand. I think she's the most fun to play with, but she's so weak. It's all about having fun, so I'm still going to learn her, but I wish she was beefed up a little bit so that she could be my main.

ETA: And it might be old news, but I hate that I have to unlock characters. That shit seems so dated.

I've only had the game for a few days, but I have a feeling this is going to be one of those titles I sink a zillion hours into over the years. So damn fun.

Last edited by boredsilly; 03-14-09 at 04:33 PM.
Old 03-14-09, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Yeah, I throw a lot as well. I mean if someone is just standing there blocking and waiting to counter, there's no reason not to throw if necessary.

I've been trying to use Sakura as well and have been getting my ass kicked pretty well. Still, i'm about 25 hours of game time played so far.

I think everyone that you unlock are people that are exclusive to the console versions and the other ones are the guys already available in the arcade, so in that vein I don't mind too much. Plus it makes you try all the characters.
Old 03-14-09, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think everyone that you unlock are people that are exclusive to the console versions and the other ones are the guys already available in the arcade, so in that vein I don't mind too much. Plus it makes you try all the characters.
That's fair, but it's something I'm going to do anyway so I wish I could toy with everyone now. It's not a bid deal, but it's a pain. I really want to try out Gouken.
Old 03-14-09, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by boredsilly
That's fair, but it's something I'm going to do anyway so I wish I could toy with everyone now. It's not a bid deal, but it's a pain. I really want to try out Gouken.
Gouken is so damned powerful. Once you get his moves down you can basically shut down anyone.
Old 03-14-09, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Good. I need all the help I can get. A buddy of mine at work has thrown the gauntlet down, saying I can't see his Ryu, and like an ass I started talking trash before I even had the game. Now I've got 2 weeks to get my shit together or I'm out of $20 and a bit of pride .
Old 03-14-09, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That article is a bunch of damn whining. I hate people that whine about fighting games.

Maybe I can't afford a bigger hard drive to install the game. Maybe I like Ken. And throwing? Come on. I've been hearing that whine in every fighting game for what, 15 years now?

And not setting a banner and a picture and whatever? Who freaking cares. I haven't gotten around to it. I'd rather spend 10 minutes in the training mode.
Old 03-14-09, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by GreenMonkey
That article is a bunch of damn whining. I hate people that whine about fighting games.

Maybe I can't afford a bigger hard drive to install the game. Maybe I like Ken. And throwing? Come on. I've been hearing that whine in every fighting game for what, 15 years now?

And not setting a banner and a picture and whatever? Who freaking cares. I haven't gotten around to it. I'd rather spend 10 minutes in the training mode.
It's just playful fun about common complaints. I've definitely seen guys that have probably purposely not set a pic and title to make themselves look like a beginner in a ranked match.
Old 03-14-09, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Oh you could make some good whines about online play though.

I remember an issue with SF3 from SF Anniversary online. Guys would spam low sweep kicks on you as you got up over and over again. With internet lag in play it would take like 3-4 attempts to block before you managed to do it. UGH. That's being a jerk.
Old 03-14-09, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This installing the game to the HD is new to me. I probably won't be doing that. The load times don't seem that bad to me.

I do think it's sad when people take advantage of exploits to increase their rankings. I mean really, is it that serious? If you're really good, great, but if you have to do things to win (like taking advantage of lag) -- I mean does that really make someone feel good? I would rather get my ass kicked in fun matches, than pad my stats.
Old 03-14-09, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I havn't played any fighting games online but I'm a little lost with the bitching about throws. What else can you do if someone constantly blocks everything?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.