Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Best way to get rid of old games?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-07, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts
I give all my old games to my nephew as Christmas and birthday presents. He doesn't seem to mind getting used crap as gifts.
Old 09-06-07, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you're going to be anywhere near New Mexico, there's a landfill in Alamogordo you could bury them in.
E.T. might appreciate the company
Old 09-06-07, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
I hate to break it to you, but most of those games won't be sold for more than a few pennies no matter where you try to sell them.
Old 09-06-07, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jeremy517
I hate to break it to you, but most of those games won't be sold for more than a few pennies no matter where you try to sell them.
They'll do better on eBay, especially if you have any black-label games that have since been re-released in Greatest Hits versions.
Old 09-06-07, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
I was mostly referring to the 20+ sports games. Some of the can be sold for a decent amount.
Old 09-07-07, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Breakfast with Girls
They'll do better on eBay, especially if you have any black-label games that have since been re-released in Greatest Hits versions.
Can someone explain this to me ? Is it a collector thing ? They are the same exact game right ? Just a greatest hits label.
Old 09-07-07, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by sn9ke_eyes
Can someone explain this to me ? Is it a collector thing ? They are the same exact game right ? Just a greatest hits label.

Ya it's the same game. But some collectors want the original release copy not a greatest hits copy. I think the original cases look better but there's no difference between the two.
Old 09-08-07, 08:47 AM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm going to take GTA: SA (supposedly $10 trade in value) and my sports games to Gamestop to see if I can get anything at all for them...do they make you buy your trade-in game right then? Or can you store the trade value? Also, can you get a used game on a trade-in, or does it have to be new?

Thanks.
Old 09-08-07, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
You should be able to get it put on a store credit card (gift card), and I've been able to use my store credit to buy anything in the store.
In a very few cases, GH games have slightly different content than the original, but on less than a handful, literally.
I've had decent luck moving some older stuff from Goozex. I'd get maybe 50 cents trade credit at a store, but I get ~5.00 or 10.00 worth of points for them.
Old 09-08-07, 11:21 AM

Metal Gear Solid 2 discs, would be a game that you should consider selling on ebay.

That is one of the PS1 games that is worth some money.

I have sold many games on ebay and always make more than any game store will give you. You also can list sports games in lots and can move them that way on ebay.
Old 09-10-07, 09:36 PM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, I was going to be by a Gamestop today, so I took all my sports games to see what I could get, if anything. Ended up averaging about a buck a piece for 20 or so sports games, all at least 2 years old, so I took it. I didn't want to hassle with them on an individual basis.

I had read they were giving $10 in trade-in value for GTA: SA, but they wouldn't even take my copy since it was the original version that supposedly had a bunch of graphic sex scenes? I thought I played through the game pretty good, and I definitely didn't see any graphic sex scenes. Did I just miss them? Or is my idea of 'graphic sex' way out there?

Anyhow...since it's a version with these supposed graphic scenes, shouldn't it be worth more?
Old 09-10-07, 10:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by aktick
I had read they were giving $10 in trade-in value for GTA: SA, but they wouldn't even take my copy since it was the original version that supposedly had a bunch of graphic sex scenes? I thought I played through the game pretty good, and I definitely didn't see any graphic sex scenes. Did I just miss them? Or is my idea of 'graphic sex' way out there?
The original release of the game did have graphic sex, but it was hidden away and could not be directly accessed. The program code exists on the disc, but Rockstar never implemented it into the game. Some hacker found the hidden code, and he created a mod (the infamous Hot Coffee mod) that enables you to see the hidden scenes.

Part of the controversy is that unless you specifically download and install this third-party mod, you never see the graphic sex scenes, but yet many people were in an outcry and wanted the game banned/recalled/whatever. The ESRB re-rated the game and gave it an AO rating. Rockstar temporarily quit manufacturing the game. They took out the hidden code completely in later releases, so they are completely free of the graphic sex and the M rating was retained. Probably the reason Gamestop refuses to buy it from you is because the original release effectively is rated AO and most stores refuse to handle AO games.

I know when GTA: SA first came out and this controversy was going on, ebay prices for the original release were sky high. I doubt that it still is though.

Here is a video clip of some of the graphic scenes. Not safe for work obviously.

Last edited by taffer; 09-10-07 at 10:35 PM.